• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures USA Registers Attack on Titan Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is a fairly accurate representation of Attack on Titan....and the best live action anime/manga films and inspired films have been Western made. Scott Pilgrim, Edge of Tomorrow, Speed Racer, Kill Bill Vol. 1.

Compared to crap like live action Death Note, western "live action anime" movies are some colossal steps ahead of Japanese films.
There are exceptions, like some of Shion Sono's work (Love Exposure, Why Don't You Play in Hell, Tokyo Tribe).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, shouldn't they go with a non-Engrish title

yami4ct

Well

uh, things have changed recently in the world of SNK. Let's just say that.
You want bombs dropped? because shit, dude, it's the nuclear fucking apocalypse over here. Questions are being answered. Albeit at the expense of brand new questions! Still. Things are moving forward in some pretty crazy ways

even that thing you mentioned is (finally!) being addressed maybe kind of who knows

He still hasn't actually addressed the
basement
? Hahahahahaha. That's representative of everything wrong with his style of writing. Maybe he's dropped some crazy bombs, but if he hasn't bothered to even resolve that there's no way I can take him seriously. Even if the series turns it around, answers questions and gets the plot moving at a decent pace, it'll only move the series from "trash" to "decent premise executed poorly" in my mind. I'll probably binge read it some day, but the series was so bad for so long I doubt it'll shift my opinion much.

UGH an American anime movie. They are gonna white wash the cast again, maybe Mikasa will be Asian. Let me get my angry petition ready to send to Sony headquarters

DarkKyo

I could see this working out so much better than a white-washed, live-action Akira, Evangelion, or Ghost in the Shell because none of those stories make sense without it taking place in Japan and featuring a mostly Japanese cast. Attack on Titan's characters are mostly based on those of European/western ancestry and it takes place in a series of fictional cities and fields that look vaguely old-world European. Really only a few characters are Asian(I think Mikasa is half-asian?) and the rest are a bunch of white people. As long as they stay faithful to the source material this could be really big and quite well done.

UGH an American anime movie. They are gonna white wash the cast again, maybe Mikasa will be Asian. Let me get my angry petition ready to send to Sony headquarters

Most of the cast is white, though!

JDSN

Banned
basement
? Hahahahahaha. That's representative of everything wrong with his style of writing. Maybe he's dropped some crazy bombs, but if he hasn't bothered to even resolve that there's no way I can take him seriously. Even if the series turns it around, answers questions and gets the plot moving at a decent pace, it'll only move the series from "trash" to "decent premise executed poorly" in my mind. I'll probably binge read it some day, but the series was so bad for so long I doubt it'll shift my opinion much.

Also, I already have my fix for violent, dark manga with a really great premise. That series is Terra Formars and it shows what AOT could have been. It knows exactly what it's good at and executes on it. Is the plot amazing? No, but it actually takes its premise and works with it in interesting ways. It answers questions as fast as it asks them and keeps its plot moving. It can actually hold my attention for long periods, unlike AOT.
You talk all that smack about AoT and then praise "Totally-not-Negro Cockroaches from Outer Space"? Lol.

I wonder who will play potato girl.
I'm excited thinking about it
tumblr_mw5zuc47BX1szxcu1o1_500.gif

DarkKyo

basement
? Hahahahahaha.

If you were actually familiar with the story you'd know that's not possible with the wall behind Eren's house having a gaping hole in it. It's just not logical for the characters to go there as much as they want to know the answers. However they did just say in the manga that that's basically the next step. Not to mention most of the big questions have recently been answered(besides possibly the biggest which is the origin/purpose of the titans). If you had it your way Naruto would have been hokage by chapter 10, huh?

yami4ct

If you were actually familiar with the story you'd know that's not possible with the wall behind Eren's house having a gaping hole in it. It's just not logical for the characters to go there. However they did just say in the manga that that's basically the next step. Not to mention most of the big questions have been answered(besides possibly the biggest which is the origin/purpose of the titans). If you had it your way Naruto would have been hokage by chapter 10, huh?

No, there's a huge difference. Naruto never started with "I'm going to be Hokage next week". AOT pretty much started with let's get to the
basement
and then proceeded to put roadblock after roadblock in the way. That's not a journey, that's bad pacing.

Also, let's not hold up Naruto as a bastion of good pacing, because it very, very much is not.

JDSN

Banned
The potential racial issues with Terra Formars are problematic. I choose to think it's just accidental, because it honestly doesn't even make sense as a racial allegory if it was on purpose. What Terra Formars has that AOT doesn't is an understanding of plotting and pacing.
Well, I choose to see reality and how racist it is, also, the plotting and pacing is interruped by the weird narration of the writer copy and pasting irrelevant shit from Wikipedia. I mean, who gives a fuck what the plexus soleus does? Lol.

DarkKyo

No, there's a huge difference. Naruto never started with "I'm going to be Hokage next week". AOT pretty much started with let's get to the
basement
and then proceeded to put roadblock after roadblock in the way. That's not a journey, that's bad pacing.

Also, let's not hold up Naruto as a bastion of good pacing, because it very, very much is not.

Are you fucking kidding me? Naruto's been talking about being hokage from day one. Anyways, blast it all you want, there's a reason it's a super popular manga and it's got nothing to do with bad pacing. Personally I'm fine with the pacing. I guess that's what opinions are all about.

If you were actually familiar with the story you'd know that's not possible with the wall behind Eren's house having a gaping hole in it. It's just not logical for the characters to go there as much as they want to know the answers. However they did just say in the manga that that's basically the next step. Not to mention most of the big questions have recently been answered(besides possibly the biggest which is the origin/purpose of the titans). If you had it your way Naruto would have been hokage by chapter 10, huh?
Nah man.
Ape titan is the biggest mystery.

yami4ct

Are you fucking kidding me? Naruto's been talking about being hokage from day one. Anyways, blast it all you want, there's a reason it's a super popular manga and it's got nothing to do with bad pacing. Personally I'm fine with the pacing. I guess that's what opinions are all about.

The difference is being Hokage is a long term goal. It isn't something that is constantly being held up as the next stage of the plot. AOT is always holding up the
basement
as the next step in the story, only to push it back further and further. That is the definition of bad pacing. Sorry, but it is. It's popular because the series does do stuff right. The action is amazing as is the premise. If that's good enough for you, than more power to you. You're free to like it.

We've gotten way off topic, so I'm sorry. I do think AOT would make a great Hollywood film, but I don't have much hope they actually pull it off.

DarkKyo

Nah man.
Ape titan is the biggest mystery.

Lol that was frustrating to me. Still waiting on that one. However I'm fine waiting because I'm patient enough to understand what payoff is. The mysteries/information have to be leaked in a way to cause the most impact and make the most sense in the story, the world, and to the main characters.

The difference is being Hokage is a long term goal. It isn't something that is constantly being held up as the next stage of the plot. AOT is always holding up the
basement
as the next step in the story, only to push it back father and further. That is the definition of bad pacing. Sorry, but it is. It's popular because the series does do stuff right. The action is amazing as is the premise. If that's good enough for you, than more power to you. You're free to like it.

Nobody in the manga ever said "let's go to the basement right now!" Once it was needed it was an impossible goal due to the circumstances that the manga clearly provides. It's a long-term goal that they just now have the ability to reach for. You know what would be bad pacing? If the biggest mysteries in the story were revealed as soon as you wanted them to be. That would have been an absolute waste.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This is a fairly accurate representation of Attack on Titan....and the best live action anime/manga films and inspired films have been Western made. Scott Pilgrim, Edge of Tomorrow, Speed Racer, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Pacific Rim.

Compared to crap like live action Death Note, western "live action anime" movies are some colossal steps ahead of Japanese films.

i liked Rurouni Kenshin

yami4ct

i liked Rurouni Kenshin

I liked Kenshin quite a bit because it worked within its budget really well. It harkens back to the old style samurai films while also using the source material in an interesting way. I think the problem is they squeeze way too much into too little space.

If there's one thing a US Titan film wouldn't have trouble with, it's budget. Though, an inflated budget could cause other issues. Imagine the action of humans fighting titans, but the Titans are all CG. If they don't nail the CG, it just won't work.

Attack On Titan sucks eggs because it sets things up for incredible payoffs and then never fucking delivers on them for no reason whatsoever

ATTACK ON TITAN ANIME SPOILERS
Like the Female Titan. She should've been fucking dead mcdeaddead but they literally gave her fucking plot armor. Instead of Levi or Eren getting some semblance of revenge, she just went 'lol fuck you I'm in a cocoon now'

The worst part is they basically did it twice, when Levi's group should've killed her (but lol no, we just introduce new chars to kill them), and when Eren pulled that bitch off the wall

yami4ct

[IG]https://38.media.tumblr.com/288a5b402a983ecb74040a267f5aeb3b/tumblr_nikcggIBbT1qd9agqo1_540.gif[/IMG]

We will never agree on the quality of the original, but you have to admit that there is almost no way to properly adapt the show into a live action film series as it stands. It's just too much material to work with. Now imagine a really well done, tight, well-writen action film that works with the same premise. How cool could that be? It won't happen (and the film will probably never get out of development hell), but it could be something.

DarkKyo

We will never agree on the quality of the original, but you have to admit that there is almost no way to properly adapt the show into a live action film series as it stands. It's just too much material to work with. Now imagine a really well done, tight, well-writen action film that works with the same premise. How cool could that be? It won't happen (and the film will probably never get out of development hell), but it could be something.

It's definitely a lot of material and it would be a big undertaking to produce a series of films, but I don't think it's impossible. It's also too big/epic of a story to conclude with a single movie. If they close out the franchise in one movie they belittle the source material by making it seem less dire than how the original manga/story presents the premise.

What they could do is what tons of other films have done when starting a "potential" series. Create one strong film that starts where the manga starts and ends on the first big climax. Have it end with the long-term goal(eliminating all titans) still in the minds of the audience. Raise some questions, give some hints, etc etc. If they did a good job with the film then audiences will want more and they can get funding for the next big movie and climax. The obvious climax for the first movie would be
winning the battle of Trost
. It'd really have to be done right but it's definitely not impossible.

yami4ct

It's definitely a lot of material and it would be a big undertaking to produce a series of films, but I don't think it's impossible. It's also too big/epic of a story to conclude with a single movie. If they close out the franchise in one movie they belittle the source material by making it seem less dire than how the original manga/story presents the premise.

What they could do is what tons of other films have done when starting a "potential" series. Create one strong film that starts where the manga starts and ends on the first big climax. Have it end with the long-term goal(eliminating all titans) still in the minds of the audience. Raise some questions, give some hints, etc etc. If they did a good job with the film then audiences will want more and they can get funding for the next big movie and climax. The obvious climax for the first movie would be
winning the battle of Trost
. It'd really have to be done right but it's definitely not impossible.

I see what you're getting at, but I find that almost every film that begins from the place of starting a long franchise ultimately flops the execution. I'm not saying it can't work, just that it's very unlikely to.

My vision is of course going to be apocryphal, but I'd love an adaptation that focused just on the smaller scale story of AOT. Introduce it with the same premise, keep the same cast, but focus just on the survival angle. Really hit that part home and make humanity seem super doomed. Cut the stuff with Eren's transformation as, while that can work on film, I think it would distract from the smaller nature of the film I'd want. I would actually end it in a similar place to your's, with humanity
winning a major offensive against the Titans
, but make sure people realize this isn't the end of the war. Don't give any hints at were the Titans came from, just make them an unstoppable force.

Of course, this is far too bleak and depressing for Hollywood to do, but I certainly could see it working. If the first one is successful, you can start pulling stuff from the Manga with the origin of the Titans, etc, but if it isn't successful, it works as a singular experience.

Hexa

basement
as the next step in the story, only to push it back further and further. That is the definition of bad pacing. Sorry, but it is. It's popular because the series does do stuff right. The action is amazing as is the premise. If that's good enough for you, than more power to you. You're free to like it.

We've gotten way off topic, so I'm sorry. I do think AOT would make a great Hollywood film, but I don't have much hope they actually pull it off.

I would agree with this. I love AoT. 10/10 for me. But the story gave me the impression even they didn't know in which way it was going and were trying to avoid having to come up with an actual plot to progress through as long as possible. Does the author even know what's in the basement yet? lol
Still love it though.

You talk all that smack about AoT and then praise "Totally-not-Negro Cockroaches from Outer Space"? Lol.

The stuff he's criticizing isn't really common at all between AoT and Terra Formars so not sure what you're getting at.

DarkKyo

Of course, this is far too bleak and depressing for Hollywood to do, but I certainly could see it working. If the first one is successful, you can start pulling stuff from the Manga with the origin of the Titans, etc, but if it isn't successful, it works as a singular experience.

We haven't really discussed this but sadly this will be the biggest hurdle.

How can Sony justify spending millions upon millions of dollars to produce and market a movie inspired by a franchise that is ultimately too graphic and disgusting in visuals and tone for real humans to act out and realistic gore effects to be made for it? It works as a manga because the gore doesn't have to look hyper-realistic. It's a franchise originally marketed towards a late teen/young adult audience and so they will lose their key demographic if it's rated R(even R would be a "light" version of the gore and violence seen in Attack on Titan, it can get that disgusting!). And a PG13 Attack on Titan would be lame as hell. But Hollywood as it is just couldn't take the risk of marketing it towards adults, and letting it get an R-rating, as it rightfully should be in movie format.

yami4ct

We haven't really discussed this but sadly this will be the biggest hurdle.

How can Sony justify spending millions upon millions of dollars to produce and market a movie inspired by a franchise that is ultimately too graphic and disgusting in visuals and tone for real humans to act out and realistic gore effects to be made for it? It works as a manga because the gore doesn't have to look hyper-realistic. It's a franchise originally marketed towards a late teen/young adult audience and so they will lose their key demographic if it's rated R(even R would be a "light" version of the gore and violence seen in Attack on Titan, it can get that disgusting!). And a PG13 Attack on Titan would be lame as hell. But Hollywood as it is just couldn't take the risk of marketing it towards adults, and letting it get an R-rating, as it rightfully should be in movie format.

I think they could do it at PG-13 if they manage it right, but they'd have to be very careful. One of the main causes of "R" ratings is direct violence against humans and blood. Attack on Titan has a huge benefit in that the Titans aren't human. If they limit the violence to people getting swallowed, and just imply the harsher violence, I think they could make it work. Heck, if they redesign the Titans to make them more monstrous and less human, I think they can get away with a lot of the more horrifying violence against them. It'd be a tough line to walk, but a good cinematographer and director could make it work.

The problem is, they likely won't get a good director and cinematographer. Honestly, I think the biggest problem with a studio trying to work with the source material is that it is inherently dark. That kind of tone doesn't work in a 4-quadrent action film and I don't see them keeping it. If they do change that aspect, the film is screwed.

I feel like live action adaptations of popular anime is going to be the next big Hollywood craze.

It's been teetering on this for ages. Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Death Note have all been purchased for adaptation, but none of them have made it out of development hell yet. The ones that have made it out, like Dragonball, have been both critical and commercial flops. If one were to come out and hit, I can see a huge trend starting, Until then, I doubt any of these actually get made.

DarkKyo

It started strong, but its become disappointingly bad. That's alright, because the movie probably wouldn't get a sequel.

Eh, I don't know. It's definitely not as consistently entertaining as the first few arcs were but I really don't think it's become as bad as you say. If anything it's a bit slower and more subdued but I'd argue the story's just become more subtle. What I enjoy about it is that the premise is still pretty interesting and you can tell the author has a lot of interesting ideas and a grandiose vision for the future of the story and just how far and long he can push it.

DarkKyo

I think they could do it at PG-13 if they manage it right, but they'd have to be very careful. One of the main causes of "R" ratings is direct violence against humans and blood. Attack on Titan has a huge benefit in that the Titans aren't human. If they limit the violence to people getting swallowed, and just imply the harsher violence, I think they could make it work.

I was more so talking about the violence against the humans rather than the titans. Half the reason the titans are so terrifying is the fact that they often chew/bite you into pieces! Then there's the balls of human remains that they vomit up... And one of the most memorable deaths in the show(
Marco
) is pretty gross-looking.

edit: oops, didn't mean to double post

yami4ct

I was more so talking about the violence against the humans rather than the titans. Half the reason the titans are so terrifying is the fact that they often chew/bite you into pieces! Then there's the balls of human remains that they vomit up... And one of the most memorable deaths in the show(
Marco
) is pretty gross-looking.

edit: oops, didn't mean to double post

That's the way the source material creates its horror, and it certainly is very effective. That doesn't mean it's the only way to success. You can make the Titans horrifying in other ways, particularly if you're willing to tweak the designs. I'm not saying Sony would actually be successful in doing this, but it's not impossible to pull off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom