• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Zukkoyaki

If Dreams manages to have a strong campaign, I fully expect a lot of crow to be eaten about this game. Absolute worst case scenario for it still almost guarantees an extremely dedicated community that will support it for lord knows how long.

Guymelef

If Dreams manages to have a strong campaign, I fully expect a lot of crow to be eaten about this game. Absolute worst case scenario for it still almost guarantees an extremely dedicated community that will support it for lord knows how long.

I don't even mind about a story mode.

I trust on the community, there are going to be amazing things.

Eggbok

Does anyone know the source of this please:
MetallicPerfectDuckbillcat.gif

^I sent the PM to the original poster a bit ago. I still haven't got a reply.

I just saw your pm too lol, here's the sauce.
It's part of a montage they show of people's work. You get to see her make that scene and the finished product but it's sped up. Enjoy!

AND DREAMS HYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eggbok

Lol, thanks Egg.

I just needs to see more on the story mode stuff for Dreams and I'm in!

No prob lol, for me personally I don't have to see any of the story mode. I'm Day 0 for Dreams just on the creation mode itself. I'm going to make and remake so many things. In LittleBigPlanet 2 and 3 I would spend hours just making things. Not necessarily levels itself just building things in general.

Would love the Dreams campaign to allow you to visit LBP and Tearaway worlds and characters, also could features versions of other Sony characters (Ratchet, Knack, Parapa etc) would make for a great E3 trailer.

Shin-Ra

As a LBP creator, I want to know how you do some of the stuff in this gif, especially filling those groves with water (if that's what it is) smoothly like that. It appears to be filling pixel perfectly.
It looks more like a dark or invisible material lighting up visible, fading on from one end to the other.

I'm playing Bloodborne again. Started within the past week and am pretty far into the game and... GOD, it's so fucking good.

I'm still planning on doing every side quest and defeating the final boss in the last Chalice Dungeon even though I've done all of that many times.

Oh, he's got a Twitter account, gonna tell him to make Colony Wars VR, would be perfect, works with and without VR, thus minimizing risk and probably isn't extremely expensive to build compared to something like Horizon or TloU ;)

Stuart Whyte (new London Studio head and ex Fable) actually liked my tweet, it's happening guys!!1

YOSP thanked me 5 years ago "for my input" suggesting a new Colony Wars...baby steps towards a new Colony Wars!!

I can't believe Dreams was announced since 2015. Didn't they say in a 2015 video that the Beta will be out next year meaning 2016?
I don't know why they didn't yet. Are they afraid of what the community could pull from just a Beta?

wapplew

Cross posting from the other thread, but just sharing my Dreams appreciation in here as well! Everything made in Dreams, I'm so hyped!

My problem with Dreams showing so far, it look a lot of fun to build, not a lot of fun to play.
LBP debut look fun as hell, next major Dreams presentation need to show that.

wapplew

What has it done that it looks like "not fun to play"?

Some MM streams, the level Shu test, the running track, E3 2015 etc.
Physic and animation just doesn't feel right. Like they try to fit one set of rig to meet different need.
I mean take away the editor, none of the level make me feel like I'll pay $60 for more of that.

My problem with Dreams showing so far, it look a lot of fun to build, not a lot of fun to play.
LBP debut look fun as hell, next major Dreams presentation need to show that.

My problem with it is sculpting. All sculpted models looks very rough with exterme hard edges as if parts of them are cut with knives and stacked together. It may look good for props and objects but for characters, they look unconvincing. It must be the tools they use.
They need to make they brushing/sculpting tools more subtle.

My problem with it is sculpting. All sculpted mdoels looks very rough with exterme hard edges as if parts of them are cut with knives and stacked together. It may look good for props and objects but for characters, they look unconvincing. It must be the tools they use.

I have to disagree there, I for one think you can make very believable sculptures in dreams, that can later be turn into characters.

And I'm sure when this get out in the wild, there will be people who top these creations.

Eggbok

My problem with it is sculpting. All sculpted mdoels looks very rough with exterme hard edges as if parts of them are cut with knives and stacked together. It may look good for props and objects but for characters, they look unconvincing. It must be the tools they use.

I have to disagree there, I for one think you can make very believable sculptures in dreams, that can later be turn into characters.

And I'm sure when this get out in the wild, there will be people who top these creations.

Even in the picture I posted a few posts back, these were all made in Dreams. None of them are concept art. They don't look cut from knives and stacked on each other.

DreamsChars.jpg

Even in the picture I posted a few posts back, these were all made in Dreams. None of them are concept art. They don't look cut from knives and stacked on each other.

DreamsChars.jpg

The third picture at the top (the scrapman) looks really well made, it even looks polished. I like it.

Shin-Ra

This post is bizarre in how completely wrong it is.

You can literally swipe over anything you've sculpted and soften it up, with a bunch of preset 'brushes'. One of the very first screenshots released was this:

21886353502_06f3e752af_o.png

This stream showed off a great variety of dense/sharp and sparse/soft character and environment materials: https://youtu.be/abpqJSuc9uc?t=21m48s

I can't wait to see gameplay for Death Stranding. Guerrilla and KojiPro are going to make that engine sing!

Considering they're clearly putting a lot of effort into this Amsterdam KojiPro tech support team his investment in Decima is obviously long-term, which means either he'll be making multiple games for Sony or he's allowed to use it in projects after Death Stranding which could go multiplat, I guess? I find the former far more likely though. Provided DS is a sales success Sony will probably keep throwing money his way.

FelipeMGM

Looks like Sony could be building a full VR development team in the San Mateo Studio? Or maybe its for co-development projects like Farpoint?

Sr. Programmer (VR), Sony PlayStation

Sony is looking for pioneering developers to join its new Virtual Reality team in San Mateo. We seek an ambitious, self-motivated Senior Programmer-VR to help craft unique player experiences with a diverse group of makers and contribute an early influence on our projects.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...yStation_is_hiring_a_Sr_Programmer_for_VR.php

Weird observation? This seems like the last thing one would take issue with, so much variety in art style has been shown. I agree with the gameplay gripe however, no gameplay has really looked fun and engaging so far. When LBP was first shown at GDC, it was immediate that I needed to play it and experience it for myself and the fun factor was super apparent. Dreams so far, has just shown weird looking running animations and have stated, "sure, you can make a character move however you want". But until I see a Mario-clone with smooth animations and precise controls in the engine I remain skeptical.

Makes me happy to see a lot of these Sony Studios and Teams working on PSVR :)

I haven't used my PSVR in 2 months now. But I still think it's a future genre in the industry, it's just too much work to setup atm.

- Wireless
- TV/Movie Support
- As clear as 1080p inside the headset
- Time to game essentially equal with turning on a PS4 (or better a Switch)

After those goals are met, I genuinely think a VR set will be in most people's house. It's amazing! Just early days and cumbersome.

This post is bizarre in how completely wrong it is.

You can literally swipe over anything you've sculpted and soften it up, with a bunch of preset 'brushes'. One of the very first screenshots released was this:

21886353502_06f3e752af_o.png

This stream showed off a great variety of dense/sharp and sparse/soft character and environment materials: https://youtu.be/abpqJSuc9uc?t=21m48s

Weird observation? This seems like the last thing one would take issue with, so much variety in art style has been shown. I agree with the gameplay gripe however, no gameplay has really looked fun and engaging so far. When LBP was first shown at GDC, it was immediate that I needed to play it and experience it for myself and the fun factor was super apparent. Dreams so far, has just shown weird looking running animations and have stated, "sure, you can make a character move however you want". But until I see a Mario-clone with smooth animations and precise controls in the engine I remain skeptical.

Why just deny this? Look at the rat character at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyrtsLHTUBo
Its completely blocky, rough and and all is parts seem to be cut like by a hard tool then stitched together. Same goes for the statues they used to trigger opening the door
Here is a great example of it even 3D printed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233835160&postcount=7602
The statue looks a combination of results of a morph tool.

Like I said before this may work great from props and objects, and there are even great examples of other characters like animals:bears frogs,snails etc... but hen it comes to humanoid characters, it looks really unnatural and there are so many examples in their previous streams.
I really hope they refined their sculpting tools for the final game. i don't expect something close to ZBrush but at least something minizing such results.

Umm not even close to tlg..at all
You do know what year it is?

Yeah the TLG switched systems on us, but it's been crazy long since we first saw Dreams. February event with the freaking launch of the system, it was shown along with Killzone and Infamous second son lol.

If Dreams releases in 2018 that's 5 years of knowing about the game. Half the time TLG...

@Plastica-man yeah I don't see what you are talking about man. Agree to disagree. Art and animations looks fine to me.

Elfstruck

You do know what year it is?

Yeah the TLG switched systems on us, but it's been crazy long since we first saw Dreams. February event with the freaking launch of the system, it was shown along with Killzone and Infamous second son lol.

If Dreams releases in 2018 that's 5 years of knowing about the game. Half the time TLG

What are you talking about? Dreams was shown at E3 2014, unless I'm missing something here.

Hexa

What are you talking about? Dreams was shown at E3 2014, unless I'm missing something here.

2015. We new they were working on something with modelling before that, which they showed off tech demoes for multiple times, but 2015 was the reveal of the actual game.

2015. We new they were working on something with modelling before that, which they showed off tech demoes for multiple times, but 2015 was the reveal of the actual game.

Well the real first Dreams reveal was since PS Meeting 2013 when unveiling the PS4 and its games. Dreams was introduced as a totally new concept in gaming.

Shin-Ra

Why just deny this? Look at the rat character at the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyrtsLHTUBo
Its completely blocky, rough and and all is parts seem to be cut like by a hard tool then stitched together. Same goes for the statues they used to trigger openeing the door
Here is a great example of it even 3D printed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233835160&postcount=7602
The statue looks a combination of results of a morph tool.

Like I said before this may work great from props and objects, and there are even great examples of other characters like animals:bears frogs,snails etc... but hen it comes to humanoid characters, it looks really unnatural and there are so many examples in their previous streams.
I really hope they refined their sculpting tools for the final game. i don't expect something close to ZBrush but at least something minizing such results.
Why does something sculpted to look a certain way, look that way?

What.

Why does something sculpted to look a certain way, look that way?

What.

If you use ZBrush, you will know what I am talking about: in Zbrush there so many subtle, intuitive and soft tools that allow for high precision curvy shapes which are essential for anatomical sculpting. there also tools allowing accurate symetry without the need to repeat same sculpting procedure in the opposite side which may give clumdy results if not used otherwise. It feels like sculpting on clay and deforming it at ease rather than hard sculpting on a piece of wood with a knife like in here.

I am confident there is a great margin of improvement for the tools to be close to perfection that I hope they could refine before release, if not, then they will keep it for the sequel. I just want this game to very good with no flaws.

Top Bottom