• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Shin-Ra

Dreams already has round primitives, symmetry/mirror tools, and soft blending since at latest 2015.
DreamsBlendCubes.gif
DreamsBlendSpheres.gif

FelipeMGM

Last I recall, their San Mateo office was where SIEA's main R&D offices were, so it could be part of that or even spun off from it.

Yeah, maybe. They do have dev teams there too, Pixelopus is housed there. And at E3 they listed SIE San Mateo Studios as co-developers for Spider-Man and Farpoint, so maybe they are building a bigger development staff there

Interesting position. So, it's someone who works at Guerrilla Games as a liaise for Kojima Productions? Someone who has direct access to people familiar with the Decima Engine but can provide undistracted support for the Kojima studio.

I think its to work at the KojiPro satellite studio in Amsterdam. Looks like Guerrilla is helping them attract talent since its someone that will work together with them

I just hope TLG sold many units and Sony is happy with the sales. But I hope for a completely Remake of Shadow
Remake or sequel that is far in future of the original is something I want.

I want him to make something on the scale of SotC but we control a creature like Trico.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just hope TLG sold many units and Sony is happy with the sales. But I hope for a completely Remake of Shadow

TLG in its release month outsold both Ico and SotC in both its entire life time and the first several months, respectively. That and SotC was a 40 dollar game when first released on the PS2 so its most likely sold better than his last two games combined and for a pricier amount.

Yeah, maybe. They do have dev teams there too, Pixelopus is housed there. And at E3 they listed SIE San Mateo Studios as co-developers for Spider-Man and Farpoint, so maybe they are building a bigger development staff there

Teams? We only know of Pixelopus at this point. But that was kinda my point anyway, that a VR dev team may've been spun off from the R&D department. Aside from that though, Magic Lab's based in the San Mateo office and they're constantly coming up with crazy stuff.

Has Ueda mentioned if he wants to work with Sony again for his next game?

My hope is that he'll have something ready in a few years. As much as I love TLG, his next game doesnt need to feature such ridiculously complex AI. Maybe that omission alone makes development go smoothly.

Cyberia

Has Ueda mentioned if he wants to work with Sony again for his next game?

Ueda pretty much confirmed that he is willing to work with Sony on future projects if the opportunity presents it self.

As for the division of roles between genDESIGN and Japan Studio, genDESIGN is in charge of the direction for game design and the art and the animations. As for Japan Studio they are in charge of the implementation of the game and also they are in charge of developing the game engine and maintaining it.

The way we have it right now is very easy for me to work, and if there's an opportunity in the future where I can do it in a similar way I would definitely want to.

Source: https://youtu.be/w71wDbXYheM?t=2m59s

Yoshida back in 2015:

Would you be interested in working with Ueda-san again, after The Last Guardian?

[Nods vigorously] Everyone would! But we have to finish this first!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-on-saving-the-last-guardian-and-ps4-in-japan

Wozman23

I wish they were working on a new Velocity game :(

But good for VR fans I suppose..

After being consumed by the original Velocity mini, I essentially bought a Vita when Velocity Ultra launched (and because I wanted Tearaway later down the line).

I'm really curious to see what they do with VR. If anyone can sell me, it's FuturLab. Plus then I'd maybe be able to go back to THUMPER in its superior, primal form and platinum it.

Regardless, I'm sure Veloci3 will come in good time.

Why should we care about FuturLab? Is there any reason why we should be excited?

Sounds like someone hasn't experienced the euphoria of the Velocity franchise.

I just found out about the game Matterfall in another thread (I don't know how I missed it).
What is this game? The only thing we got for it is a CGI trailer since 2015.

Vane-GIF-2.gif

Do we know if Vane is now a PS4 exclusive? It used to be listed as PC + other consoles, but now the site only lists it as a PS4 title.

I doubt it. Sony doesn't really seem invested in the practice of snapping up indie exclusives anymore (look at Wattam, Edith Finch and Rime). I don't see why they would buck that trend for a game of even-smaller profile like Vane.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
probably not related to PlayStation at all, but anyway, Q-Games is teasing something – https://twitter.com/PixelJunkNews/status/865014157006917632
Looks like this was Eden Obscura for iOS and Android.

I just found out about the game Matterfall in another thread (I don't know how I missed it).
What is this game? The only thing we got for it is a CGI trailer since 2015.
I don't think we know much beyond it's an action sidescroller of some sort. Maybe we'll see more at E3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until Gamescom to really reveal it so that the focus is on Nex Machina.

I'm thinking Sony's conference will be dominated by third parties this year with all the marketing deals they've secured for this holiday season.

We will probably get some limited bundles announced like perhaps a Silver or Gold unit bundled with Destiny 2.

We will probably get updates on games we saw last year (Spider-Man, God of War, Death Stranding etc) with final release date reveals. I'm hoping we might also see Shenmue and FF7 remake again. I expect another gameplay demo for Detroit (this time its Kara) accompanied by the reveal that it will be releasing this year. I'm not thinking Spider-Man or God of War will end up making it this year. Both will probably be early 2018 releases.

We will probably also get some new info on Uncharted Last Legacy as well as an unveiling of the first big Horizon: Zero Dawn DLC. Also a new classic remaster project of some kind will likely be unveiled. Perhaps Spyro or Jak?

I expect a big GT Sport showcase along with the announcement that the game is delayed to Summer or Holiday 2018 but that a few public betas will be taking place this summer and holiday season. I also see a big public beta announcement for Destiny 2 happening on Sony's stage with whats likely to be an exclusive early access deal.

I could see a a handful of VR games being announced along with Sucker Punch's project but outside of that I see this year being more of a third party / development update year than most. But,that doesn't mean it won't be a lot of fun as they can still blow us away with gameplay reveals and progress updates on highly anticipated titles. Looking forward to it!

Tonky

I'm thinking Sony's conference will be dominated by third parties this year with all the marketing deals they've secured for this holiday season.

We will probably get some limited bundles announced like perhaps a Silver or Gold unit bundled with Destiny 2.

We will probably get updates on games we saw last year (Spider-Man, God of War, Death Stranding etc) with final release date reveals. I'm hoping we might also see Shenmue and FF7 remake again. I expect another gameplay demo for Detroit (this time its Kara) accompanied by the reveal that it will be releasing this year. I'm not thinking Spider-Man or God of War will end up making it this year. Both will probably be early 2018 releases.

We will probably also get some new info on Uncharted Last Legacy as well as an unveiling of the first big Horizon: Zero Dawn DLC. Also a new classic remaster project of some kind will likely be unveiled. Perhaps Spyro or Jak?

I expect a big GT Sport showcase along with the announcement that the game is delayed to Summer or Holiday 2018 but that a few public betas will be taking place this summer and holiday season. I also see a big public beta announcement for Destiny 2 happening on Sony's stage with whats likely to be an exclusive early access deal.

I could see a a handful of VR games being announced along with Sucker Punch's project but outside of that I see this year being more of a third party / development update year than most. But,that doesn't mean it won't be a lot of fun as they can still blow us away with gameplay reveals and progress updates on highly anticipated titles. Looking forward to it!
If they're going for a 3rd-party focused conference, then RDR2 better be in there.

I doubt it. Sony doesn't really seem invested in the practice of snapping up indie exclusives anymore (look at Wattam, Edith Finch and Rime). I don't see why they would buck that trend for a game of even-smaller profile like Vane.

That's probably true (at least for Santa Monica) but those games had their particular story for what Sony lost/decided to drop the exclusive, at least that's what I understand.

If they're going for a 3rd-party focused conference, then RDR2 better be in there.

I'm sure it will be there. Perhaps itll have a beta announcement or just a gameplay debut but I don't see it still hitting this year so unless I'm wrong on that I doubt it'd get a bundle debut.

Oh yeah and I could also see them announcing some PSVR bundles with some of the new games revealed and perhaps offer it at a lower price as well. Ultimately though I really don't think their investment in the space will bear much fruit this gen. It just seems too early for the tech to penetrate mainstream. Once we get headsets that require much less fuss (wireless, thinner, lighter etc) then I could see it making waves but the current models just don't seem to be garnering the sort of attention many were expecting they would. But I digress.

That would be more first party games than they had last year, so I'm not sure where you get the idea it'll be dominated by third parties. CoD, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 will get like 5-10 minutes each, which isn't a ton of time, and RDR2 probably won't even be there, though if it is it'll only be another short trailer.

Do we know if Vane is now a PS4 exclusive? It used to be listed as PC + other consoles, but now the site only lists it as a PS4 title.

Probably a timed exclusive via Pub Fund.

Thanks for reminding me of it though, Vane was one of the highlights of PSX.

SSM seems to have stepped away from funding smaller games altogether, and I hope this attitude doesn't ripple out to other divisions

I don't think it'll be "dominated" by third party releases at all. I expect to see: Destiny 2 (a gameplay demo or a new trailer), Battlefront 2 (a gameplay demo or a new trailer), COD (a gameplay demo or a new trailer) and maybe RDR2, although it wouldn't surprise me if it's not there and R* do their own thing.

There might be a few other third party games like Ace Combat 7 on PSVR, maybe something from Square Enix or Ubisoft, but I still think the majority of the time will go on Sony's first party titles like God of War, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Sucker Punch's next, FromSoft's next, maybe Dreams, maybe Detroit, and hopefully something else new that we're not expecting (probably at least one new PSVR game reveal?).

I don't expect to see GT Sport there because SIEA, and I'm iffy on whether they will bother with Detroit and Dreams as well.

Shin-Ra

The Vane devs already explained they're a small team and just want to focus on getting the game out on one platform/dev environment first.

STEaMkb

With Red Dead Redemption 2 now set to launch in Spring next year, Q3/Q4 2017 is little less crowded. How might this affect Sony's plans?

With Red Dead Redemption 2 now set to launch in Spring next year, Q3/Q4 2017 is little less crowded. How might this affect Sony's plans?

They've probably known for a long time about this.

Star Wars, Call of Duty and probably their own Gran Turismo will probably be great for them.

farisr

Nothing's gonna change for the likes of God Of War, Spider-Man, and Days Gone (spring 2018 onwards releases)

Knack 2, Dreams & Detroit however, have a better chance of releasing in the Sep-Dec timeframe now instead of possibly being pushed back to jan or something. GT Sport will release whenever it's ready.

Mikey Jr.

If anything, this is probably good for Sony.

They had FOUR triple A games marketing in the span of like 4 months. It was overkill with Destiny, COD, Battlefront, and Red dead.

Red Dead moving is definitely good for Sony.

I even heard Far cry 5 has marketing with Sony.

Top Bottom