• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Opinion Sony portable console

AGRacing

Sep 26, 2016
Alberta, Canada
This is an excellent idea, but do you think it's feasible now to produce a portable PS4 at an affordable price? While this has been a dream for many people, some of them have also raised concerns about power consumption, battery life, and heat generation.

This will likely be possible at some point (if not now, then maybe 5-10 years into the future), but for it to have any major impact, it would have to be done within the next 2-3 years, while PS4 games are still being marketed to the mainstream public.
Well...

I just grabbed a Samsung S21... the Snapdragon 888 variant.... which is a made on the 5nm process. I didn't even hear that was ready for mainstream until now...

The PS5 uses the 7nm process. The original PS4 used the 28nn process I believe? Then it was revised down to 14nm...

- So original 28nm > 5nm (ish)
- New architecture that squeezes more speed out of less power PLUS has been designed for backward compatibility is in use on PS5....
- Maybe even pull a switch and go 720p on the screen.... they've been patching games on PS5 ... imagine a patch that DROPS resolution on portable PS4 for a framerate improvement... just because most will be fine with a tiny 720p screen.

Seems feasible to me... but I could be WAY off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent X
Feb 18, 2019
All a Playstation portable would have to do is play all PS4 games, and come with the PS Plus collection that PS5 gets. It could be all digital with a 1080p screen. At under $300, it would sell like hotcakes.
Nothing to add, I'd buy it instantly

Psp is one of my most loved consoles ever, played countless hours with it, and it's also the best retrogames machine I have

And ps1 games on it are marvelous, Capcom survival horrors in particural

Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2-3 and a good pair of headphones : six star winter night entertainment ❤

Last edited:
Reactions: sw0mp_d0nk3y

polybius80

Jan 10, 2019
Another thing is Sony gives up too easily, if the system doesn’t meet their expectations then they quickly pull of their support.

and who doesn't do that?

its curious you single sony here as sony gave considerable support to PSVita, compare their support with other short lived systems like WiiU, DC, PC Engine, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, NeoGeo pocket or the original Xbox and sony is certainly not the only and not the worst

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mar 22, 2017
and who doesn't do that?

its curious you single sony here as sony gave considerable support to PSVita, compare their support with other short lived systems like WiiU, DC, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, NeoGeo pocket or the original Xbox and sony is certainly not the only and not the worst
In my opinion PSVita had bigger chance to succeed than WiiU if Sony didn't given up too soon.

kyussman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Vita was a great system but I think it stretched them too thin....they couldn't really go all in with it so it ended up feeling a bit half hearted in terms of games.I'm a big fan of playing to your strengths.....for Sony PlayStation that's the home console.

Last edited:

polybius80

Jan 10, 2019
In my opinion PSVita had bigger chance to succeed than WiiU if Sony didn't given up too soon.

it succeeded or at least it sold more consoles during its lifetime(vita also lasted longer than wiiu)

at least sony doesn give up as easily as nintendo like with the virtual boy ;)

Last edited:

Woopah

Jun 15, 2019
Yeah, I'm no expert at this stuff. Sony may well have cut itself off from the handheld market indefinitely by opting for x86. I don't know if there's some way with technological advances to get the power draw under control while maintaining compatibility, but I guess even if they were able to do that the Switch and its successors would always perform better as handheld devices due to their architecture being designed for efficiency.

If so, I think it's likely the Japanese AA market is going to transition entirely to Switch. That'll be a real sea change, since even during the Wii/3DS years Nintendo was never able to truly dominate that sector.
Japanese AA market consolidating around Switch as the lead platformis definitely a trend we are seeing happening and I expect it to continue. Japanese AAA market will be split between Switch and PS5 as the lead platform, depending on the project.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: polybius80