• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PR = Bad PR: cancelling Infamous interview to be petty

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:
So you don't know where the game is when playing Little Big Planet?
it was a huge over simplification, but I think what he was referring to is the fact that he, like myself, just wasn't all that thrilled by the actual act of actually playing LBP.

He just needed a simple, snarky line to communicate all of that. I wouldn't take it to seriously. ;)

Zzoram said:
inFamous may be a good game, but Sony PR is far worse than Microsoft's customer service. Microsoft's flaw is hardware design.
:p I would have said the opposite. A banned interview or occasional Gaffe don't even compare to the horror stories I've heard about MSCS on this board; not even close.

1-D_FTW

I tend to agree with Chick a lot more than most of the writers in the videogame field. But how many people in this thread even know his site existed? Stupid PR on Sony's part. Now everyone on the internet who reads about videogames is gonna see it. And if they have some bad vibes from the demo, are gonna be inclined to believe some of it and might be pushed off the fence.

MC Safety

dammitmattt said:
I'm baffled at the amount of support Sony's PR is getting. I understand if you want to champion the brand/developer/game, but why in the world do some of you want to champion the damn PR firm?!?

Sony's PR is done in-house. At least for the game part of Sony.

Anyway, stuff like this is unfortunate, but not wholly unexpected. Sony should have either honored the request for an interview, or told Tom beforehand that the interview was off.

Further judgment really isn't possible considering the details simply aren't available.

McBacon said:
His complaint is that it’s hard to drop off a ledge, the game keeps you on a rooftop so you don't accidentally fall off. If you push the circle button you can drop down. It’s just a stupid oversight on Chick's part.
If it was an oversight, and not a bit of code missing/disabled from the preview build. I'm not saying it was. I'm not going to say it was a mistake either. That would be something that Sony PR could address in an interview, or simply by asking for a correction. But that would be good PR.

Gravijah

Matthew Gallant said:
If it was an oversight, and not a bit of code missing/disabled from the preview build. I'm not saying it was. I'm not going to say it was a mistake either. That would be something that Sony PR could address in an interview, or simply by asking for a correction. But that would be good PR.

Is there a reason you stopped doing Planets Funniest Animals?

Haunted

At least I must admit that Chick can write.

For a historical accounting of how long it takes the social order to fall apart, we need look no father than the 1987 documentary Escape from New York. When Manhattan was closed off into a maximum security prison after the crime rate had risen 400%, it took years for the social order to break down and rebuild itself under the aegis of a themed gang led by Isaac Hayes. However, Infamous is on an accelerated timeline. After a cataclysmic event, society falls apart and rebuilds around themed gangs within a few days. A massive junk skyscraper is erected almost instantaneously, which just goes to show how much you can get done without unions. Various supervillains with fiendish plots spring up within a week. Plagues and mind control toxins and government conspiracies and sidekick betrayals and sidekick redemptions all happen in the first fortnight. And the whole thing is wrapped up in three weeks. New Orleans should be so lucky.

and on the story (probably his "field of expertise", so to speak?):
It's a shame a game with this much potential has such an insultingly bad story. The guys at Sucker Punch have left behind the kiddie vibe of their excellent Sly Cooper games, but they haven't left behind the cartoon superficiality. The plot of Infamous makes zero sense, even after the laughably bad resolution. There isn't a single likable character here. The villains just seem to appear from time to time. Sometimes you fight them in a bad boss battle. Sometimes the game seems to simply forget about them.. And the dialogue is uniformly horrible, from the growling hero to the funny [sic] sidekick to the conflicted romantic interest to the villain who suddenly appears at some point as if the game almost forgot it needed a villain. In fact, one character whose significance isn't clear unless you bother digging up B-side audio recordings scattered around the city is randomly blown up at the end of the game. Infamous may very well be one of the worst written big-budget games since Too Human.
Then again, I almost always disagree with Chick, so maybe I should get Infamous earlier than I initially planned. :p

edit: then again, he gave the game a thumbs up in the end, so maybe I should avoid after all. >_>

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
1-D_FTW said:
I tend to agree with Chick a lot more than most of the writers in the videogame field. But how many people in this thread even know his site existed? Stupid PR on Sony's part. Now everyone on the internet who reads about videogames is gonna see it. And if they have some bad vibes from the demo, are gonna be inclined to believe some of it and might be pushed off the fence.

Never heard of the site but really this is nothing. OP is the one getting really upset over this, most people don't give a shit about it and i can't see this affecting sales much. I mean Kane & Lynch is getting a sequel (aswell as talks about a movie) and that was much, much bigger than this will ever be.

Haunted said:
At least I must admit that Chick can write.

and on the story (probably his "field of expertise", so to speak?):

Then again, I almost always disagree with Chick, so maybe I should get Infamous earlier than I initially planned. :p

edit: then again, he gave the game a thumbs up in the end, so maybe I should avoid after all. >_>
Insultingly bad story? he was insulted? wow. Not only is that the first comment I've heard about the story being bad; every single other review I've read (even the 7's) have commented that the great story was a highlight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cat in the Hat said:
Gaf would be more boring to be honest though.
The only solution I can see is segregation.

Irrational fanboys get their own sub-forum for the week of E3. They may only post in that forum, but everyone else can both view and post in either the regular forum or said other forum, which will hence forth be referred to as The Cesspool. Seems fair to me.

Gravijah

lupinko said:
Lies! That's only something the "Animal Planet host dude" would say!!

I think he got fired and is so bitter that it put him into some sort of psychosis and he completely blocked that period of his life out. =/

pr0cs

Rez said:

Irrational fanboys get their own sub-forum for the week of E3. They may only post in that forum, but everyone else can both view and post in either the regular forum or said other forum, which will hence forth be referred to as The Cesspool. Seems fair to me.
The problem is that a lot of people that belong in the cesspool think they're being rational realistic unbiased posters. I doubt anyone would actively go there.

Gravijah

pr0cs said:
The problem is that a lot of people that belong in the cesspool think they're being rational realistic unbiased posters. I doubt anyone would actively go there.

You don't ask someone to segregate, you FORCE THEM.

Shurs

Rez said:
it was a huge over simplification, but I think what he was referring to is the fact that he, like myself, just wasn't all that thrilled by the actual act of actually playing LBP.

He just needed a simple, snarky line to communicate all of that. I wouldn't take it to seriously. ;)

I know what you're saying, my problem lies more with the tone that Chick (and many bloggers) carry when writing about games. He seems like he is gong out of his way to be a dick most of the time. As a contrast of that style, look at the guys from Area 5 and how they handle games they don't love. The negative extremism exhibited in many of Chick's articles is a way to court clicks and adds nothing to the conversation.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
OT should be hosted somewhere else for E3. hate shit breaking when I'm all in the girl-age.

MC Safety

DeadGzuz said:
How does Sucker Punch dev == Sony PR? Was Sony handling the arrangement somehow?

Public relations for the publisher traditionally handles requests for interviews with the developer.

Haunted

Rez said:

We've already done that before, but then the OT just stayed around and now it's a permanent addition.

BobTheFork said:
Insultingly bad story? he was insulted? wow. Not only is that the first comment I've heard about the story being bad; every single other review I've read (even the 7's) have commented that the great story was a highlight.
I can't say anything about that, I only played the demo. Tell us what you thought of the story when you're done. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:
I know what you're saying, my problem lies more with the tone that Chick (and many bloggers) carry when talking about games. He seems like he is gong out of his way to be a dick most of the time. As a contrast of that style, look at the guys from Area 5 and how they handle games they don't love. The negative extremism exhibited in many of Chick's articles is a way to court clicks and adds nothing to the conversation.
Yeah, I actually agree. It's a shame, because unlike some snarky bloggers out there, I feel like Chick often has some interesting things to say. I'm not sure whether or not he's trying to come off as "edgy", or if he's just a bit of a dick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
You don't ask someone to segregate, you FORCE THEM.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Haunted said:
We've already done that before, but then the OT just stayed around and now it's a permanent addition.
:lol

Dirtyshubb said:
:lol:lol:lol Im just glad no one here at my work saw me laughing at this comment otherwise they may have hasked questions :D
Imagine the context you would have to explain for that joke to be funny :lol

BeeDog

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I usually refrain from posting in topics like this because the quality of the posts are so dreadful, but really, are you fucking serious?

If Tom Chick didn't like the game why the fuck did he want to interview Sucker Punch in the first place? To tell them how shitty their game is?

Fuck Tom Chick. Fuck Sucker Punch. Fuck Sony PR and fuck YOU Matthew Gallant.

LCfiner

I usually refrain from posting in topics like this because the quality of the posts are so dreadful, but really, are you fucking serious?

If Tom Chick didn't like the game why the fuck did he want to interview Sucker Punch in the first place? To tell them how shitty their game is?

but Tom Chick did like the game.

And it's not unheard of for critics to interview writers or directors or other people responsible for works they're not fans of.

why is that concept so outrageous in gaming?

Gravijah

Know what I dislike about this guy the most? His name. Tom Chick. Chick! It's like he has to be a dick to make up for the fact that he has a girly girl name! BEING A PENIS DOES NOT GIVE YOU A PENIS, SIR!

Matthew Gallant said:
He gave the game a thumbs up.
SO? He went out of his way to insult the game. It's no different than any 'score', it doesn't matter. What matters is the write-up and after reading it all I don't have a problem with them canceling the interview. If not telling him until he got there is the worst thing they did, who cares?

BTW, honest question, I've been looking at you avatar, is that as shop?

Shurs

LCfiner said:
but Tom Chick did like the game.

And it's not unheard of for critics to interview writers or directors or other people responsible for works they're not fans of.

why is that concept so outrageous in gaming?

I'm sure that Sony PR's issue with Chick is the tone of his story. Whether or not he ultimately likes the game is irrelevant.

Cat in the Hat said:
Imagine the context you would have to explain for that joke to be funny :lol
Work:What the fuck are you laughing at segregation for????
Me:well.....its about this site called NeoGaf and.....well there are these fanboys and....
Work:Get out!!!!!!!!

Madman

/thread

Awesome post. :lol

deepbrown

BobTheFork said:
SO? He went out of his way to insult the game. It's no different than any 'score', it doesn't matter. What matters is the write-up and after reading it all I don't have a problem with them canceling the interview. If not telling him until he got there is the worst thing they did, who cares?

Plus, maybe Sony didn't cancel it. Maybe Sucker Punch pulled out because they didn't want to talk to him. He was hardly "fair".

BobTheFork said:
I don't care, per se, I just wanted to highlight an egregious example of bad PR. The goal of PR is to get people talking about the game; instead we're talking about why Sony doesn't want to talk about the game. What conclusion can be drawn from that?

No, it's not. She did a segment related to heavy metal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You could argue that he was just being as see-through as possible. He didn't bother pussy-footing around what was good about the game and what was bad, he just straight said it.

You could also argue that he just just couldn't be fucked writing out an elegant article, so he instead posted his notes (with some slight editing) online. ;)

LCfiner

Shurs said:
I'm sure that Sony PR's issue with Chick is the tone of his story. Whether or not he ultimately likes the game is irrelevant.

I was actually thinking more about the question of why Chick would want to interview Sony if he didn't like the game.

let's say, for the sake of argument, that he didn't. In any other field, it's normal for critics who don't like movies or books or whatever to still want to talk to the creators at some point.

And i don't see why it should be any different for games.

Cheech

I think Tom Chick's articles are specifically designed to poke fun at fanboys, and entertain those of us who don't take our gaming too seriously.

This thread is proof that he's doing a pretty good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom