• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Principal Graphics Engineer confirms PS5 has custom architecture that is based on RDNA2. (Update: Read OP)

Yes, it was just needless to say it as we were specifically talking about RPM.

There isn't a single RDNA2 gpu on the market nor has AMD specified any of this, so how are you reaching this conclusion?

Because MS have literally alluded to it. Also if there are RDNA2 GPUs with extended ML support that doesn't necessarily mean it was something AMD had as a generic feature. That could, just as an example, be a case of MS bringing in alterations to the Series GPUs that they and AMD then saw worth putting in the PC RDNA2 GPUs.

Both MS and Sony will be doing things with their respective GPUs that AMD then adapts to the PC line, this should be an assumed reality.

And this is a small community. Imagine what would happen on twitter.

That already happened on Twitter once the DM was made public.

After seeing all this drama you can understand why Rosario sent it as a private message.

I personally don't share any of my DMs unless I have permission to. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That already happened on Twitter once the DM was made public.

After seeing all this drama you can understand why Rosario sent it as a private message.

I personally don't share any of my DMs unless I have permission to. But that's just me.

Mod asked for this dicussion to cease so I will not respond out of respect for the request.

These just feel like bot responses now
Check his post history.
He trolls Sony and MS threads with these one liners. Has no interest in discussion.

The Sony engineer should know well to keep quiet on these things. In fact i expect a lot more developers and other industry heads to start distancing themselves from social media platforms like Twitter.
We had Neil Druckmann and cast of Last Of Us 2 suffer extensive abuse online. Social media is getting out of hand and i honestly wonder when authorities are going to step in to put an end to the death threats and other abuse.
It's too easy to hide behind an anonymous profile online.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Check his post history.
He trolls Sony and MS threads with these one liners. Has no interest in discussion.

The Sony engineer should know well to keep quiet on these things. In fact i expect a lot more developers and other industry heads to start distancing themselves from social media platforms like Twitter.
We had Neil Druckmann and cast of Last Of Us 2 suffer extensive abuse online. Social media is getting out of hand and i honestly wonder when authorities are going to step in to put an end to the death threats and other abuse.
It's too easy to hide behind an anonymous profile online.
As a parent Im actually afraid of what tomorrow brings. I (strongly) feel we are headed in the wrong direction regarding PC (political correctness) and free speech in general.
Just to make it obvious; I´m ALL-IN on free speech.

Edit: Added my own views for transperancy.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
So the narrative of one system not having certain features is bad, but Sony will have important or better features? Sony smashes frivolous agenda to oblivion. Sony comes out with better solutions, APIs or features.

I think we agree on a basic level, but look at your post. Sony, Sony, Sony. This nonsense goes both ways.

Thts fine. You may be hurt by ps5 having advantages but tht dx12 narrative was destroyed, it isn't conjecture but facts. We heard tht dx12 bs for months lol Professionals also stating ssd solution is better and numbers also point to facts. I can easily say next box has a stronger gpu, you see it didnt hurt. But I see your trying really hard to passive aggressively (respectfully I might add lol) to bring PS5 down and prop Xbox up to say tht even where ps5 is stronger Xbox will be equal, it's just not reality. Strength and weaknesses.

I see you though pimp 👀👀❤️

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I read the update and while it has information from the Sony developer clarifying what he meant, I can't find anything in the update that states the information contained in the original OP was faked, photoshopped or a product of the shadowy Xbox Discord.

What's embarrassing is the behavior of a certain group of fans that when confronted with information they don't like they attack, accuse, threaten, report and invent conspiracy theories.
You must not be following along closely. PS5 went from RDNA 1.5 to RDNA 2.5 all in this thread. You got to keep up.

Xplainin

Banned
I'm not so sure if PS5 really needs ML, because checkerboard upscaling can look very good as well. XSX has ML on paper, but without tensor cores equivalent developers will have to use shaders for ML calculations. I want to see evidence XSX can benefit from ML in real games before I will start making jokes in regards to missing ML on PS5.
The heavy lifting for ML isnt done on the GPU, it's done on super computers.

Mmnow

Thts fine. You may be hurt by ps5 having advantages but tht dx12 narrative was destroyed, it isn't conjecture but facts. We heard tht dx12 bs for months lol Professionals also stating ssd solution is better and numbers also point to facts. I can easily say next box has a stronger gpu, you see it didnt hurt. But I see your trying really hard to passive aggressively (respectfully I might add lol) to bring PS5 down and prop Xbox up to say tht even where ps5 is stronger Xbox will be equal, it's just not reality. Strength and weaknesses.

I see you though pimp 👀👀

Because I don't think there will be any areas where PlayStation is overly stronger. And vice versa. There will be some to and fro, but not enough that anybody who can only afford one should worry. Ideally buy both.

But when someone pretends for all of 2 seconds to be neutral and then proceeds to write 20 sentences about how hard done by any billion dollar company is - in your case Sony - I'm gonna call them out. Fanboys suck, but at least don't be disingenuous about it.

Jtibh

Banned
Because I don't think there will be any areas where PlayStation is overly stronger. And vice versa. There will be some to and fro, but not enough that anybody who can only afford one should worry. Ideally buy both.

But when someone pretends for all of 2 seconds to be neutral and then proceeds to write 20 sentences about how hard done by any billion dollar company is - in your case Sony - I'm gonna call them out. Fanboys suck, but at least don't be disingenuous about it.
Who's alt account are you?
If you are legit you dont have much of a future here.

As a parent Im actually afraid of what tomorrow brings. I (strongly) feel we are headed in the wrong direction regarding PC (political correctness) and free speech in general.
Just to make it obvious; I´m ALL-IN on free speech.

Edit: Added my own views for transperancy.
I don't have kids yet and i can't imagine what parents must be thinking of ways to protect their kids from social media platforms. I imagine there is only so much you can do before they are exposed to the toxic online culture.

Just now the other day i was playing Division 2 with 3 other guys and one of them got upset because i got taken out by an enemy NPC after not listening to his advice on what to do. He then proceeded to cuss and swear and even brought my mother into the picture saying horrible things about her and myself so much that the other guys were trying to get him to stop and advising me to mute him.
This was the first time EVER that i had this happen to me playing an online game but heard many other horror stories of similar behavior from other users.

Sure enough i could not report that user because there was no option to do that but if i could, i would.

Sorry for going off topic now but i sincerely hope that industry vets stop using Twitter just to protect themselves from the online mob.

Bryank75

Banned

Congratulations Xbox fans... you probably got him either fired or in serious trouble. Worth it?
Sad people... pathetic. Had to be said.

MarkMe2525

Weak.

Yes, we will everytime DF does head to head anlaysis. Will be funny when Halo Infinite(cross gen) looks better than anything shown at the sony event, including 1st party exclusives

And i argue that every time XSX wins a DF head to head, it will be you saying devs are too lazy to make use of that unicorn, PS5 SSD that has pixy dust sprinkled all over it.
Your proverbial mouth is writing a lot of checks that I hope it can cash. I think Microsoft is going to have the edge as well but man, putting Halo infinite against some PlayStation 5 developed exclusives is a tall order.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
But... But this guy on Twitter said...
But...but that guy is the Principal Graphics Engineer working for Sony....ON THE PS5.

We shouldn't take that as any sort of conformation?

Mesh shading, VRS, ML all aweaome features part of RDNA2....all confirmed for Series X. None of which are confirmed by Sony.
  • Worse case scenario: it's a smoking gun that not only is the PS5 much less powerful, but also less capable.
  • Best case scenario: Sony's comminication on the PS5 just stinks. Obviously this can be easily rectified in the next day or so with a confirmation from Sony. If confirmed we'll know. If you dont hear...there's your answer.

RaySoft

I don't have kids yet and i can't imagine what parents must be thinking of ways to protect their kids from social media platforms. I imagine there is only so much you can do before they are exposed to the toxic online culture.

Just now the other day i was playing Division 2 with 3 other guys and one of them got upset because i got taken out by an enemy NPC after not listening to his advice on what to do. He then proceeded to cuss and swear and even brought my mother into the picture saying horrible things about her and myself so much that the other guys were trying to get him to stop and advising me to mute him.
This was the first time EVER that i had this happen to me playing an online game but heard many other horror stories of similar behavior from other users.

Sure enough i could not report that user because there was no option to do that but if i could, i would.

Sorry for going off topic now but i sincerely hope that industry vets stop using Twitter just to protect themselves from the online mob.
In my mind the only right thing to to is to try and educate them as much as you can so in due time they can at least have something to lean on when they make their own experiences. It´s no secret that todays parents shield their kids too much as well, hence the «snowflake» gen.

Bryank75

Banned
Stop it. That tweet doesn't say either of those things. Quit starting more drama that was directly asked to be removed from this thread.
He says that it taught him to talk to nobody about anything.... what type of absolute scum do you have to be to put someones job in danger over console wars.... posting a DM that was in his mind probably one professional talking to another!?

Last edited:
Yep. Neither Series X nor PS5 GPU is true RDNA2. They are both just using base RDNA2 tech to implement their own custom solutions? RIght?

It's like a pizza. They both have the same base but with different toppings.

PizzaHutDelivery.jpg

Gamernyc78

Banned

Fanboys do suck but ppl misconstrue and act all fake pseudo neutral which is obviously what your doing lol Your not fooling us.

Me? I own all consoles but I'll tell you when it comes to hardware, software, I prefer Sony and have had a way better experience. Nowadays, liking something more is fanboy ish but tht is so asanine and frivolous. Thy all don't create the same  People have preferences, I won't understand but you might like Crackdown 3, recore better than Horizon, Ghost of T. Thts your right.

Love is love though. You are an Xbox fan it's cool, I don't dislike you as such. It's just plastic playboy lol Call me out? I ain't hiding pimp ppl know what I prefer and why 😊🤗

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
All because some people are desperate to diminish anything related to PS5. Pathetic.
Everyday it's something... Farcry 6 isn't 4K (Oh it is), raytracing, Xbox's SSD is magically faster than PS5's now, PS5 is too big, TLOU2 is SJW propaganda, GOT looks bad and now they get to this new low.....

If they want people to think of these things when they hear 'Xbox' that's fine.... I am more determined to buy several PS5's now. I'll gift one to my brother too.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Everyday it's something... Farcry 6 isn't 4K (Oh it is), raytracing, Xbox's SSD is magically faster than PS5's now, PS5 is too big, TLOU2 is SJW propaganda, GOT looks bad and now they get to this new low.....

If they want people to think of these things when they hear 'Xbox' that's fine.... I am more determined to buy several PS5's now. I'll gift one to my brother too.

HELLO BROTHER from another mother.

sircaw

Banned

There has just been a massive list over the last month or so, every few days another chunk of bullshit.
Its seriously out of control, hope the games next few days will get sony to atleast show a breakdown. This i hope will put a major damper on most of the bullshit, but yer, i wont hold my breath.

FlyyGOD

Only one missing feature has been confirmed as of yet, to my knowledge. The PS5 has no mesh shaders, but has the older primitive shaders instead. At the same time, Sony has their own patent to achieve something similar to variable rate shading with those primitive shaders, which is normally done with mesh shaders. It's not even confirmed whether that patent has been implemented in the PS5 or not.

So... Yeah. We lack enough information to really say what is going on, let alone which implementation is superior. But everyone wants their side to 'win' despite the lack of information...
I thought Machine learning was also missing on PS5? If I'm mistaken please correct me.

Gamernyc78

Banned
There has just been a massive list over the last month or so, every few days another chunk of bullshit.
Its seriously out of control, hope the games next few days will get sony to atleast show a breakdown. This i hope will put a major damper on most of the bullshit, but yer, i wont hold my breath.

Yeah constant fud from same ppl and funny thyve been proven wrong for years and just keep going on and on.

JonnyMP3

I think we're in basic agreement, definitely, and I'd never be the one to tell someone not to be excited about something.

I think our difference in perspective comes from our interests maybe? You're obviously way more techy than I am. My career is very close to marketing, which means I'm far more cynical about things than others - sometimes more than I should be. For instance, getting rid of bottlenecks, in my mind, is what you do when you build a new console. But, even if we take the worst of the worst - Xbox's two and a half odd GB/s SSD without compression or any other enhancements - then that is still so much faster than anything else we've had to use before. And then you have PS5's extra speed or Xbox's Velocity solution ON TOP OF THAT. That is INSANE.

And if you don't get rid of bottlenecks, it's useless. You end up with the same thing you get when you put an SSD in a PS4. Faster, but not so much that it's lifechanging.

And I don't mean to talk down the process, because just getting to the point when you can shift that amount of data is mindblowing. But that's why these are the best console engineers in the world. The least I expect of them is that when they put an SSD in their new machine, that they make sure it can work at its top efficiency.

But the thing is, Cerny changed the conversation. Getting rid of bottlenecks stopped being part of the process and started to become something exclusive to Sony.

The fact Microsoft has the more powerful console is... not coincidence, but luck of the draw. I think Sony were probably surprised by the difference (although I don't buy the last minute changes theory). I think Microsoft probably thought they were in for a closer show of it. That was why there was so much "OUR most powerful console" hedging a few months ago. That's not a criticism. I just mean that Microsoft didn't set out to make a really powerful console and then looked at what else they were doing. Both consoles need balance, and I think both will be balanced.

But Cerny changed the conversation. He's a genius and he doesn't have an obvious sales pitch, so people don't think he's selling something. That's ridiculous - he made PS4 and he made PS5. Of course he's selling something. But that trust meant he changed the conversation. To the point where Xbox being the more powerful console on paper became a negative in some people's eyes. To the point where people still don't realise Microsoft has its own dedicated audio hardware and even its own SSD and I/O solution.

Hence the brute force vs engineering thing. I still don't feel it's a fair comparison, but we won't know for certain for a few months yet, and personally I can't stand the wait.

There's a lot that I agree with and I can see from your other posts that we pretty much agree that the next gen shall be awesome and that focusing on the potential of things is rather than what each machine can trump each other at is what gaming is really about. The games we get to play. Though I think the probable miscommunication would be that saying the X1SX is a beast instantly means brute force as posed by others. But if brute forcing is all MS wanted to do, then more cores and threads and RAM and clocks would do the job as everyone in the PCMR believes. But from an engineering architectural perspective, it is inelegant, hence the very nature of the name 'brute force'.
I am excited to see what MS can do when they design a proper console again since the 360. And I mean proper because whether xbox lovers want to admit it or not, the Xbox One was gimped from the very beginning because of Kinect and its whole TV philosophy upon its design.
But what a lot of proper gaming techheads want to know is information that isn't for shouting out "BIG NUMBER" but to go "Wow! That is ingenious" and gain an slither of more understand of programming and hardware from much more clever people than I. I want to know clearly what part does what and how it interacts with all the other parts and what game designers do with that stuff to be able to make the games they make be it hardware or software. It's just that currently new hardware is salivating because we're due some this year. But I am just a mere pixel in the 4K resolution of people. And it's hard to find the proper experts and developers and shift through the armchair experts and know it alls with their FUD spouting yet total lack of basic engineering comprehension and understanding. So I get where you're coming from when people who want to push their narrative can be irritating. This whole debacle about whether or not these GPU's are RDNA 2 or not has been so frustrating when the experts and professionals have already said that they are. I remember lurking during the times of MrXMedia and even now I wonder if making up impossible stuff is better than understanding actual knowledge and facts of how machines work.

sendit

This is a product of being attached to a box with a drought in games to play. While "Y" box has 2 triple A titles back to back, "X" box has none. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
I thought Machine learning was also missing on PS5? If I'm mistaken please correct me.
ML is not a base RDNA 2 feature as such. It may have quasi FP16 but ML is way more than that. MS added hardware of their own account to allow INT4 and INT8, which is obviously absent on base RDNA 2. And ML then also requires API support and the use of computer farms to do the majority of the work on each game.
So yes, at this point the PS5 doesn't have it.
But Cerny could come out next week and say that they also added the same thing MS did.

Top Bottom