• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

Rymuth

The 360 will definitely have good legs as a hardware only unit for developing countries because of the piracy capability.

I don't see any reason for that not to continue

Been saying this for a while now.

You're obsession with reasons as to why the PS4 had good bundles in the UK during Christmas and why Driveclub was high on the PAL charts is turning a tad unhealthy, you want to let it go.

After reading PAL charts threads for the past few months, it's hard to disagree with this.
Miles is just going through a phase I like to call 'The BruiserBear cycle' ever since he bought an Xbox. Here's hoping he comes back to the Miles we all know and love <3

nampad

Shipments for whole 2014

Vita/PSP
3.55 million

WiiU
3.34 million

Dat race.

And people shit on the Vita all the time for being dead while the Wii U doesn't get as much hate, lol. Once again, the Wii U numbers are just as bad but people will still say it sold much better and took over the Vita numbers without anything to back them up.

So you are implying not more than 210 000 PSPs worldwide sold?

As I posted before, the PSP numbers can't be that big as Sony stopped production and shipment in July and even in Japan only 100.000 units were sold in 2014. Also, this are shipment numbers and not sold through numbers. Retailers probably didn't order a lot of new PSP stock with the sales being that weak.

nasanu

Banned
OnePlus One is horrible proof if you wanted to say that "Chinese" do things better.

Why? Good build quality, excellent performance, attractive design. Every aspect of the phone stands up against the major flagships and does so for less than half the price.

I think that if you are buying a phone now and it not something like a Xiaomi or OPPO then then your either buying old tech or you are paying too much.

Oersted

And people shit on the Vita all the time for being dead while the Wii U doesn't get as much hate, lol. Once again, the Wii U numbers are just as bad but people will still say it sold much better and took over the Vita numbers without anything to back them up.

As I posted before, the PSP numbers can't be that big as Sony stopped production in July and even in Japan only 100.000 units were sold for all of 2014.

1,1 million Vitas sold in Japan. So over 2 million units sold in the west? I have a hard time believing the west is a bigger market for the Vita. A very hard time.

nampad

1,1 million Vitas sold in Japan. So over 2 million units sold in the west? I have a hard time believing the west is a bigger market for the Vita. A very hard time.

Shipment not sold through. When Nintendo used to release marketshare numbers people calculated the European sales being just as big as the Japanese. Also, don't forget about Asia.

Percy

Banned
So you are implying not more than 210 000 PSPs worldwide sold?

I could believe it actually. Only PSPs I've even seen on sale the past couple of years have been used ones in GAME and CEX.

Miles is just going through a phase I like to call 'The BruiserBear cycle' ever since he bought an Xbox. Here's hoping he comes back to the Miles we all know and love <3

lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hooray for abenomics.

I still don't understand how they flubbed mobile so much. They actually have a good product. I guess they do in TVs too. Haha.

Why? Good build quality, excellent performance, attractive design. Every aspect of the phone stands up against the major flagships and does so for less than half the price.

I think that if you are buying a phone now and it not something like a Xiaomi or OPPO then then your either buying old tech or you are paying too much.

Or you buy the Xperia Z1 Compact and get flagship performance without going to phablet sizes or Chinese brands.

sörine

Banned
Yeah Vita continued to outsell Wii U despite being regarded as the deader console.
Except sellthrough's been much higher for Wii U in America and Europe. Location can tend to color performance. It's the reverse in Japan.

Also Wii+Wii U outsold Vita+PSP. We don't know what Vita actually sold because Sony's too ashamed to tell us.

Oersted

Shipment not sold through. When Nintendo used to release marketshare numbers people calculated the European sales being just as big as the Japanese. Also, don't forget about Asia.

Cough. You shouldn't make sold better statements then. My "sold" was as in sold to retailers. And again, I have a hard time believing that the demand(customers/retailers) for Vita in 2014 in the west was higher than in Japan. Its disappearing and games are barely charting.

sörine;150557045 said:
Except sellthrough's been much higher for Wii U in America and Europe. Location can tend to color performance. It's the reverse in Japan.

Also Wii+Wii U outsold Vita+PSP. We don't know what Vita actually sold because Sony's too ashamed to tell us.

In west WiiU is definitely doing better than Vita and by pretty big margin but it seems Japan and smaller developing markets are way bigger for Vita. Is not like Sony is shipping those consoles to moon. Someone out there is buying them.

nasanu

Banned
Or you buy the Xperia Z1 Compact and get flagship performance without going to phablet sizes or Chinese brands.

Slower with less RAM, worse camera. And besides, I would never go back to a small phone. I hated big phones till I owned one. Now I'll never go back.

And what is wrong with Chinese brands? Is a phone made in China with profits going to a western company somehow better than a phone made in China with profits going to an eastern company? Judge the products not the countries their companies are listed in.

Tommy DJ

Professional reviews can't be wrong or suffer from conflict of interest! They're professional after all! Next you're going to tell me GTA4's Metacritic score of 98 is why its the greatest game of all time.

Also thanks for ignoring everything else in my post. Despite what you might think, audio is not entirely subjective. There are clear reasons why the original Meridian Explorer got blasted by people who used them with IEMs like the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and actually know how they should sound. In all seriousness, the Meridian Explorer debacle is proof enough that most audio reviewers and users probably have horrible hearing, don't know what something should sound like, or have ulterior motives.

Shengar

Cough. You shouldn't make sold better statements then. My "sold" was as in sold to retailers. And again, I have a hard time believing that the demand(customers/retailers) for Vita in 2014 in the west was higher than in Japan. Its disappearing and games are barely charting.
Because worldwide means NA+Europe(west), and Japan. Rest of (east) Asia doesn't exist.

daxgame

jesus christ mobile communications basically destroying the hard works of electronics alone... thank you based services

nasanu

Banned
Professional reviews can't be wrong or suffer from conflict of interest! They're professional after all! Next you're going to tell me GTA4's Metacritic score of 98 is why its the greatest game of all time.

Also thanks for ignoring everything else in my post. Despite what you might think, audio is not entirely subjective. There are clear reasons why the original Meridian Explorer got blasted by people who used them with IEMs like the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and actually know how they should sound.

Well shall I dig up user reviews then also? Because they are almost all overwhelming positive. But then you will just say they are biased also because they are invested in the product. Basically it just leaves you as the sole judge of anything right?

And UE?.. lol. I have a pair of those. Never again. The designed to fail because they sell replacements at a nice markup cord I could live with. The sound.. No.

But whatever. This is well off topic. No more audio replies for me.

nampad

You should see a doctor because your snarky coughing seems out of place.
First of all, I didn't say the Vita sold better, I just rebutted the argument of many that the Wii U is selling much better than the Vita and that the Wii U must have overtook the LTD numbers of the Vita even though the Vita launched a year earlier and outsold the Wii U for quite some time according to numbers released by Nintendo themselves.

Secondly, we only have information for the "west" for the US and people should stop equating the NPD numbers with the "west". When Nintendo released marketshare numbers, we saw that the whole sales situation of the Wii U and Vita was switched for Europe and America. One sold horrible and the other less horrible and vice versa for the other region. as Nintendo stopped releasing information, we don't know anything about European numbers and people use to take NPD as an indicator for the "west" when it has been proven wrong to do so many times.

Thirdly, there is the rest of the world and Vita seems to be doing less horrible in Asia.

Overall, 2014 shipments to retailers must have been really close again for both platforms. And if you can't believe the demand for Vita was so high, why do you think the demand for the PSP was when Sony stopped producing and shipping them in July? When Japan, the region you think is most important for Sony handhelds only sold 97.724 (MC) to customers? Why would retailers stock up (or restock) a product that is on the end of its life instead of selling stock they have left?

Slower with less RAM, worse camera. And besides, I would never go back to a small phone. I hated big phones till I owned one. Now I'll never go back.

And what is wrong with Chinese brands? Is a phone made in China with profits going to a western company somehow better than a phone made in China with profits going to an eastern company? Judge the products not the countries their companies are listed in.

Sure I'd buy a Chinese phone, if the flagships weren't all big ass phones, I contemplated on a 1+1 but decided against it when I saw how huge 5.5" actually is. The Z1C is a snappy phone with a lightweight Android skin. The battery life is one of the best in business, it's everything I wanted in a phone, and it cost me as much as a 1+1. I wish other phone makers sold a smaller version of their flagships and not gimp the hardware.

allan-bh

When Japan, the region you think is most important for Sony handhelds only sold 97.724 (MC) to customers? Why would retailers stock up (or restock) a product that is on the end of its life instead of selling stock they have left?

PSP was selling better on Europe and shipments was scheduled to continue until the end of the year.

sörine

Banned
In west WiiU is definitely doing better than Vita and by pretty big margin but it seems Japan and smaller developing markets are way bigger for Vita. Is not like Sony is shipping those consoles to moon. Someone out there is buying them.
The largest proportional lead between systems currently is actually the US. Here Wii U sold in December alone almost as much as Vita for all of 2014.

Worldwide it does seem to even out based on shipments but tracked sales still tend to put Wii U in a better light. That's all people are responding to really, plus the regional bias. Also worth keeping in mind that Vita launched 2 new models this year in the west which can inflate sell-in but lag at sell-through.

Hooray for abenomics.

I still don't understand how they flubbed mobile so much. They actually have a good product. I guess they do in TVs too. Haha.

I know for one I hate that they don't release their phones in the US in a timely matter and on all carriers. It works for Samsung, LG and Apple. I would definitely buy a Sony phone on AT&T.

Alo0oy

Banned
What's the point of them spending money they don't need to? They aren't exactly rolling in cash to be buying studios that are going to make them games anyways

If those studios make them money, then it makes sense to buy them, buying studios isn't a charity thing, it's an investment hoping that studio would make profitable games.

allan-bh

sörine;150559154 said:
The largest proportional lead between systems currently is actually the US. Here Wii U sold in December alone almost as much as Vita for all of 2014.

Actually Wii U sold more in december than Vita for all year.

Tommy DJ

Well shall I dig up user reviews then also? Because they are almost all overwhelming positive. But then you will just say they are biased also because they are invested in the product. Basically it just leaves you as the sole judge of anything right?

And UE?.. lol. I have a pair of those. Never again. The designed to fail because they sell replacements at a nice markup cord I could live with. The sound.. No.

But whatever. This is well off topic. No more audio replies for me.

I'm going to leave this but I have to respond to this comment. That response is terrible. No, it doesn't make me the sole judge of anything. There are reasons why high output impedance is bad with portable amplifiers. This is fact. It is not subjective. High output impedance makes IEMs with multi armature drivers sound terrible. Again: it is an uncontrollable EQ.

But...but...but it sounds good with my Sony EX1000! I've explained why they're not really impacted by high output impedance.

I mean, your derisive attitude towards me bringing up the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor is hilarious enough. I don't care if you think they sound good or not. That's not the point. They are an example of a IEM that has wonky impedance curves, just like every other multi armature design in the world.

The person who noticed the issue with the Meridian Explorer noticed it with his Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor. Prior to Tyll from Inner Fidelity actually testing the device, no other review on the planet noticed its astronomically high output impedance. I wonder what this says about reviews in the Hi-Fi industry hmmm...

Taurus

Yeah Vita continued to outsell Wii U despite being regarded as the deader console.
Maybe it is because Nintendo actually cares about Wii U by releasing awesome games for it? Some, I'd say even most, gamers don't define console by its sales but by its game library and the entertainment it offers.

Welfare

can't believe there hasn't been a printsmoney.gif yet.

You have clearly missed it.

8hptove.gif

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Biggest problem of the PS3 is that they simply can't get the price down. Worsed designed console ever in that regard, it should have been selling for $99 by now. Both the PS and PS2 had significant sales after a new console launched (didn't the PS2 do like 50m+?). Sony seems to want to kill off the PS3 as soon as possible.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
That PS4 shipment would have to be close to bettering any 360/PS3 quarter, and its only 5 quarters in. Pretty darn impressive.

can't believe there hasn't been a printsmoney.gif yet.

It's on the first page.

After Microsoft's semi-blowout holiday season for X1 (and repeated anecdotal evidence of "channel stuffing"), I'm surprised their quarter's "Xbox family" shipments were only 6.6M to Sony's 6.4M for PS4 alone. The PS4 is a beast.

That "semi-blowout" was in the US, which, while it is MS's strongest market by far, will NEVER be able to compete against Sony worldwide.

Shouldn't honestly be surprising at all.

Top Bottom