• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah.

XBO until Mar. 2014: 5.1 million.
XBO+360 from Apr. to Dec: 2014: 10.1 million

PS3 from Apr. to Dec: 2014: 2.7 million.

If 360 = PS3, XBO = 12.5 million.
If 360 < PS3, XBO > 12.5 million.

Thus, I put the max in my chart at 13 million.
Just rember MS ships more 360 than Sony PS3 in holidays quarters.

Steroyd

Fair enough. I only mentioned it due to the crazy bundling deals that were available. I thought that was a sign of there being excess stock in the supply chian.

I can't speak 100% for the mainland, but I know that Sonyvjad the best deals in the UK. MS didn't bring any game to court. Their main bundle was the crappy ASA Creed duo, Sony were knocking out bundles left and right, with some hitting as low as £280.

It was crazy. O can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before.

Yeah, I can only imagine that the UK being the most competitive place for MS outisde of the US is what triggered the crazy prices, and I'm sure Sony could afford those lower margins given the currency exchange. >_>

Contrary to expectations, looking at this numbers I believe 360 is outselling PS3 worldwide and consolidating 2nd place for 7th generation.

If not, Xbox One is doing better than people estimate here.

In Q3 xbox 360 often sells better than PS3, USA market share in this timeframe is very important.
But I see that rest of the year is generally more favourable to PS3 (especially Q2).

Tommy DJ

It is not snake oil. My walkman sounds better than any other mobile device I have ever heard. Sure it's expensive, but what price do I put on the enjoyment of most pure and crisp sound most people would ever have heard while I travel to and from work? Enjoying living is far more important than the numbers in my bank account. The walkmans and iems are the real deal.

I dunno, I've never heard the ZX1 so I can't say. However, I can say that the Sony PHA-1, Sony's other high end portable audio offering, is complete garbage. It also has high output impedance for whatever reason, making it terrible for audio devices with low impedance and all kinds of IEMs due to their typically uneven impedance curve. Additionally a good number of Sony's recent headphone output aren't particularly good (MA900 distorts when played loud, MDR-1A is pretty average, MDR-Z7 are clearly worse than most things in its price range) so forgive me if I don't think particularly highly of their portable audio offerings.

The whole rebranding of the Walkman into a series of high resolution playing audio players feels terribly cynical. There's an emerging market for it and it seems clear to me that their main focus is to find a way to push their DSD format. And the problem with this is that DSD is pretty much the definition of snake oil. Its a completely garbage format if you're one of those people who believe in the importance of ultrasonic frequencies. If you don't care about that, it doesn't do anything better than PCM.

To me, the device is no better than any other smartphone + good portable DAC/amplifier. Really, the Sony PHA-1 and DSD represent everything wrong that has happened with Sony - proprietary formats that don't really give the end user any real benefit and releasing products that are so bad that future attempts, no matter how good, are tainted.

Lucreto

I hope Sony don't lose the Tv and mobile divisions as it would leave me a much harder choice when buying electronics.

I look for the best value for money and I always seem to buy Sony. I have 2 Sony Tv's, a Z3 tablet, a Sony phone and a PS3/4/Vita.

I don't know why but for me Sony was always cheaper on the top ranch stuff for me.

The only Samsung item I have is a Fridge.

Sony just need to be more aggressive in its mobile advertising and push for more carriers in the US and it would do fine.

pLow7

i don't think they will sell Mobile+TV in near future.

With PS-NOW coming they just can't get rid of a big portion of it. What will they advertise then ? Play your PS-Games on your old Sony TVs ?

nampad

I wonder how many of those 1.4 million portables are actually vitas.

I would guess at least 1.2 million taking the PS3/PS4 split as a rough indicator. The PS3 has around 14-15% of the home console sales, if we take a similar amount for the PSP we get 1.2 million for the Vita.

But it is probably more because Sony stopped production of the PSP in July 2014 and in Japan, where the PSP was the strongest, the PSP only sold 100.000 for all of 2014. I don't think anyone is really ordering PSPs for their shelfs anymore. From here on now, we can practically take their portable shipments as Vita numbers.

With PS-NOW coming they just can't get rid of a big portion of it. What will they advertise then ? Play your PS-Games on your old Sony TVs ?

Honestly? Andrew House would probably be happier.

Without TV/Mobile Division 'shackling' the constraints of SCE, it would allow SCE to basically partner with other OEMs without needing to take its sibling into account. Go to Samsung, LG, whoever, and license PSNow en-mass.

Their line of phones is excellent to be honest (coming from an owner of a Z2 that got ruined after 10 minutes in a pool but stiil).

Advertising it as playable on everything under the sun, the way every other successful app/service company does it.

If PS Now is ever somehow successful, it won't be because Sony uses it as some kind of Trojan Horse to get people to buy Sony TVs and phones, it will be because people who have Samsung and Vizio phones and TVs will be using it as an app.

Their line of phones is excellent to be honest (coming from an owner of a Z2 that got ruined after 10 minutes in a pool but stiil).

I'm not a fan of glass-sandwich design ( metal body pls ), but Sony's the only OEM who actually gives a rat's ass about actually having good battery life on its flagships.

Battery > all. Long live longevity.

Henrar

I'm not a fan of glass-sandwich design ( metal body pls ), but Sony's the only OEM who actually gives a rat's ass about actually having good battery life on its flagships.

As a Z3 user - I agree. Battery life in this phone is simply AMAZING.

I would be sad to see them get out of mobiles and TVs

The Xperia Z line is great, with pretty good battery life too. And they are best on the market for gaming TVs with really low input lag. They have a low-price line of screens with the lowest input lag available and really good picture, for what you're paying. The only downside is no 3D, which I will happily give up for such a good deal.

Percy

Banned
That's not bad going. PS4 should be hitting 20m in the near future it would seem then.

Worth seeing it happen for the clearly rustled jimmies if nothing else :)

DieH@rd

Banned
I am talking about worldwide, where Sony dominates. 1.5 million in a month is possible.

They managed to to such number in January 2014 because of the supply limits and consumer demand after launch in late 2013. I don't think there will be such a big demand for PS4 in January of 2015.

I hope they will continue developing Xperia phone. Z3 is my first android phone after using iPhone for a long time. Didn't regret my decision at all, Z3 is simply amazing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Point of PSNow is ultimately to be on everything, not just Sony devices. In fact if there was some constraint to just Sony devices, it would ultimately get in the way of PSNow. But there isn't - they've already signed a deal to put it on Samsung TVs IIRC, there will be a iOS/Android app etc.

Sinfamy

I feel really bad for Sony's mobile division.
Their phones are really good, and its not at all a case of hardware, no matter how good the phones could be, they simply won't sell the numbers Sony needs to be profitable.

I feel really bad for Sony's mobile division.
Their phones are really good, and its not at all a case of hardware, no matter how good the phones could be, they simply won't sell the numbers Sony needs to be profitable.
It's Sony's fault though. They fuck up in every aspect of mobile other than making solid phones. When it comes to worldwide availability and marketing they fail. Their 2 flagships a year thing is also silly as hell. No other big company like Samsung/HTC/Apple/LG/Motorola has an issue releasing their phones worldwide on a timely schedule but Sony for some reasons can never grasp it.

It's hard to quit that market though for the same reason Microsoft won't quit despite windows phone not really catching on considering how much they spend on it. It's basically giving up on the biggest market of the present/future. Especially after seeing them apple profits. Everyone wants a piece of that pie.

Great numbers for PS4 though.

I agree (don't mind the glass), also love their software (the skin) so I really hope this division does well for them in the future.

Wouldn't wonder me, PS3 sales tanked pretty hard.

And 360 didn't too? We have sales figures that point to a massive decline for them as well in America, and they aren't even tracked in Japan anymore. Where are the people who throw out high estimates for 360 shipments over the past 9 months suggesting the sales are coming from? Europe, where they barely had a presence last gen outside of the UK? It's possible and (maybe) even likely they outshipped Sony, but not by much.

Wouldn't wonder me, PS3 sales tanked pretty hard.

In US yes but usually Europe has been slower to adapt new gen consoles and PS3 is stronger here. Pretty weird. Maybe X360 does really well in some developing countries because you can pirate software for it.

spwolf

Mobile results:

Sales increased 28.7% year-on-year (a 23% increase on a constant currency basis) to 429.0 billion yen (3,545 million U.S. dollars), primarily due to an increase in smartphone unit sales, an improvement in product mix and the
favorable impact of foreign exchange rates.
Operating income increased 2.9 billion yen year-on-year to 9.3 billion yen (76 million U.S. dollars). This increase was primarily due to the above-mentioned improvement in product mix and increase in smartphone unit sales, partially offset mainly by the unfavorable impact of the appreciation of the U.S. dollar, reflecting the high ratio of U.S. dollar-denominated costs.

So Mobile had increased sales and operating profit... net loss is due to write offs. People need to read IR docs a bit.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/150204_sony.pdf

nasanu

Banned
I dunno, I've never heard the ZX1 so I can't say. However, I can say that the Sony PHA-1, Sony's other high end portable audio offering, is complete garbage. It also has high output impedance for whatever reason, making it terrible for audio devices with low impedance and all kinds of IEMs due to their typically uneven impedance curve. Additionally a good number of Sony's recent headphone output aren't particularly good (MA900 distorts when played loud, MDR-1A is pretty average, MDR-Z7 are clearly worse than most things in its price range) so forgive me if I don't think particularly highly of their portable audio offerings.

The whole rebranding of the Walkman into a series of high resolution playing audio players feels terribly cynical. There's an emerging market for it and it seems clear to me that their main focus is to find a way to push their DSD format. And the problem with this is that DSD is pretty much the definition of snake oil. Its a completely garbage format if you're one of those people who believe in the importance of ultrasonic frequencies. If you don't care about that, it doesn't do anything better than PCM.

To me, the device is no better than any other smartphone + good portable DAC/amplifier. Really, the Sony PHA-1 and DSD represent everything wrong that has happened with Sony - proprietary formats that don't really give the end user any real benefit and releasing products that are so bad that future attempts, no matter how good, are tainted.

Sorry but I have a PHA-1 also, plus I have lots of IEMs (though the PHA-1 usually drives my swans speakers). The PHA-1 sounds amazing through EX1000s which are my main IEMs, though they are 32 Ohms. Don't write off an amp because of one spec. And besides, different impedance can chance the sound depending on the design of each IEM. But there is no one special chosen impedance for each IEM to run at. Maybe you like the way your IEMs sound on one AMP, maybe you don't, but switch IEMs are your opinion might also switch. You shouldn't chose any audio deceive on specs. Just listen. Plus take a look at any professional review of that amp and try to find one negative impression of the sound.

For my speakers sound very, very nice using the PHA-1 and so do my main IEMs. I am 100% happy with it.

Oh and I haven't heard much of Sony's portable cans so I can't comment on them, just their high end IEMs which are excellent. If you get a chance try out the ex1000s. Provided you can get the right seal (and that is a huge if, I tried about 12 different tips before I found the right ones, rounded large complys) it has the sweetest high notes I have actually ever heard, more detail than almost anything with punchy bass (though some say light bass, but I think those people are just used to 'fun' sounding bass where I want accuracy).

As for DSD, yeah I don't care about it. Can't hear a difference even with my gear so I don't bother. But look at the review I posted, their one big negative (false negative) was the lack of DSD so you see why they must include it.

So that's what 6.4m PS4's vs 6.6 Xbox "family" consoles shipped for the quarter?

I know MS did pretty great in NA for Nov and Dec but PS4 is truly cleaning house worldwide.

Edit: Does anyone know how many of those 6.6m Xbox consoles were 360?

Xando

And 360 didn't too? We have sales figures that point to a massive decline for them as well in America, and they aren't even tracked in Japan anymore. Where are the people who throw out high estimates for 360 shipments over the past 9 months suggesting the sales are coming from? Europe, where they barely had a presence last gen outside of the UK? It's possible and (maybe) even likely they outshipped Sony, but not by much.

In US yes but usually Europe has been slower to adapt new gen consoles and PS3 is stronger here. Pretty weird. Maybe X360 does really well in some developing countries because you can pirate software for it.

European markets almost all are having record PS4 sales. I doubt PS3 still sells much in these markets.

nasanu

Banned
I would be sad to see them get out of mobiles and TVs

The Xperia Z line is great, with pretty good battery life too. And they are best on the market for gaming TVs with really low input lag. They have a low-price line of screens with the lowest input lag available and really good picture, for what you're paying. The only downside is no 3D, which I will happily give up for such a good deal.

I was set to buy another Sony phone but.. Well the Chinese are just doing things better. The only thing that would tempt me to buy another phone that isnt whatever follows the OnePlus One would be something with top of the line specs and a case without any plastic in sight (someone please give me a brushed alloy and carbon fiber phone :) ). Don't provide that and I'll stick to the Chinese (and its Sony camera, at least they are getting a cut).

ethomaz

Banned
I believe (guesstimates) that 360 shipped more than PS3 last quarter because looking to the shipment history 360 had this quarter better than PS3.

So at least 1.2m?

GnawtyDog

Banned

20 million. Nightengale didn't go to school. You're supposed to round :)

What's the point of them spending money they don't need to? They aren't exactly rolling in cash to be buying studios that are going to make them games anyways

Yep I don't get it either. You continue courting and funding 2nd party like From Software, Quantic Dream, Ready at Dawn etc or partnerships with Capcom and the like. It's a 5-6 year cycle after all. That output on top of their first party is enough.

So how hard will Sony invest in SCE in the coming year? Is SCE WW going shopping this year for new studios?

One might say so.
What's the point of them spending money they don't need to? They aren't exactly rolling in cash to be buying studios that are going to make them games anyways

Fair enough. I only mentioned it due to the crazy bundling deals that were available. I thought that was a sign of there being excess stock in the supply chian.

I can't speak 100% for the mainland, but I know that Sonyvjad the best deals in the UK. MS didn't bring any game to court. Their main bundle was the crappy ASA Creed duo, Sony were knocking out bundles left and right, with some hitting as low as £280.

It was crazy. O can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before.

You're obsession with reasons as to why the PS4 had good bundles in the UK during Christmas and why Driveclub was high on the PAL charts is turning a tad unhealthy, you want to let it go.

Is this your first year in this great country? If not I ain't got a clue why you're shocked at good sales for electronics during the Christmas, it's always been awesome here for anything that is not an Apple product.

I believe (guesstimates) that 360 shipped more than PS3 last quarter because looking to the shipment history 360 had this quarter better than PS3.

So at least 1.2m?

That's not true, historically PS3 has been performing better last quarter except for 2011 when 360 shipped 8.2m. edit: and 2008, other years either PS3 outperformed or they sold about the same.

Elandyll

Banned
Given that Verizon finally carries the Xperia line (on top of T Mobile), I was expecting better from the mobile division, but again they don't carry the actual flagship phone (only the Z3v, not the Z3 or Z3c which are both top 10 phones or better in most rankings) and VZ isn't exactly pushing them hard. Also lack of exposure compared to the latest LG or Htc. (Not even talking of Samsung or Apple).
I don't think that dumping Mobile entirely is necessarily the solution though, even if the constant R&d to release a new Flagship level phone every 6 months is rough.
All they need is a breakthrough phone and US/EU carriers to adopt them.

With the mobile problems, good results though compared to expectations.

The 360 will definitely have good legs as a hardware only unit for developing countries because of the piracy capability.

I don't see any reason for that not to continue

Tommy DJ

Sorry but I have a PHA-1 also, plus I have lots of IEMs (though the PHA-1 usually drives my swans speakers). The PHA-1 sounds amazing through EX1000s which are my main IEMs, though they are 32 Ohms. Don't write off an amp because of one spec. And besides, different impedance can chance the sound depending on the design of each IEM. But there is no one special chosen impedance for each IEM to run at. Maybe you like the way your IEMs sound on one AMP, maybe you don't, but switch IEMs are your opinion might also switch. You shouldn't chose any audio deceive on specs. Just listen. Plus take a look at any professional review of that amp and try to find one negative impression of the sound.

For my speakers sound very, very nice using the PHA-1 and so do my main IEMs. I am 100% happy with it.

As for DSD, yeah I don't care about it. Can't hear a difference even with my gear so I don't bother. But look at the review I posted, their one big negative (false negative) was the lack of DSD so you see why they must include it.

High output impedance is demonstratively bad for any headphone with low impedance or wonky impedance curves. I've listened to PHA-1 and it is garbage. If you like it, that's fine but that doesn't mean its actually good.

People do design audio hardware to run with hardware that outputs certain output impedance. For some headphones, they might have followed the IEC standard of 120 ohms. For most portable headphones and earphones today, the output resistance they design around is ~0 ohms. Why is this? It is because dynamic driver headphones generally do not have flat impedance curves.

This is especially obvious with Sennheiser headphones (which I used with the PHA-1) who all basically exhibit exaggerated midbass bloat if plugged into high output impedance amplifiers. With IEMs? Certain IEMs, like the Sony EX1000 you own, have relatively flat impedance curves. For most others, this is not the case and high output impedance basically ruins whatever balanced sound they were designed with. For a lot of IEMs, its a random EQ that you have no control over.

The specsheet for these sort of things matter for a reason, especially for portable audio devices. Its why the top portable amplifiers like the Leckerton UHA-6S and LH Labs' Geek Out have output impedance of less than an ohm.

Percy

Banned

No way to know for certain, which is entirely the point of using "family" grouping like that rather than giving numbers for the individual hardware shipments. Gotta make sure not to broadcast how underwhelming sales of your new console may or may not be by muddying the waters a bit.

You're obsession with reasons as to why the PS4 had good bundles in the UK during Christmas and why Driveclub was high on the PAL charts is turning a tad unhealthy, you want to let it go.

After reading PAL charts threads for the past few months, it's hard to disagree with this.

spwolf

I was set to buy another Sony phone but.. Well the Chinese are just doing things better. The only thing that would tempt me to buy another phone that isnt whatever follows the OnePlus One would be something with top of the line specs and a case without any plastic in sight (someone please give me a brushed alloy and carbon fiber phone :) ). Don't provide that and I'll stick to the Chinese (and its Sony camera, at least they are getting a cut).

OnePlus One is horrible proof if you wanted to say that "Chinese" do things better.

Top Bottom