• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rolling out two-factor authentication: AUS+NZL tomorrow, other regions to follow

Redlogic

Thank the gods, I was getting tired of removing my payment information every time I saw a new thread. Due to laziness I kept adding it back in, I hate myself for it.

oggob

It's live!

I can see a link option from...

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Under Account > Security.

When you are prompted to enter your Phone Number, you can pick a country code

EDIT - Just got my first SMS Verification Code to confirm to activate the feature

EDIT 2 - Once active, for testing on the PS Webstore, I signed out, then after attempting to login it required the SMS Code.

oggob

I'm lazy... but the 2 main pages...

28935794061_30e6802cfd_z.jpg

28935794231_e8841ae728_z.jpg

Quasar

It's live!

I can see a link option from...

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Under Account > Security.

When you are prompted to enter your Phone Number, you can pick a country code

EDIT - Just got my first SMS Verification Code to confirm to activate the feature

EDIT 2 - Once active, for testing on the PS Webstore, I signed out, then after attempting to login it required the SMS Code.

Setup on mine.

Had to manually disconnect from psn though, the logout all the devices thing in the setup didn't actually work for me.

Activated, though it's giving me an error right at the very end, maybe because I checked off the option to deactivate my account on all devices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Screenshots please.

psn2fa18fsku.jpg

psn2fa2nwseu.jpg

I first activated 2FA on my old account, not realising that I wasn't logged into my new account (I had -- and have -- no confidence in Sony offering name changes any time soon), so I can confirm that it's possible to use one mobile number across multiple accounts. You can also have more than one mobile number attached to your account.

Quasar

psn2fa18fsku.jpg

psn2fa2nwseu.jpg

I first activated 2FA on my old account, not realising that I wasn't logged into my new account (I had -- and have -- no confidence in Sony offering name changes any time soon), so I can confirm that it's possible to use one mobile number across multiple accounts. You can also have more than one mobile number attached to your account.

I did wonder about that given I also have a US account and thought I'd need a different number for each account.

grimmiq

There shouldn't be any issues using this as a clean slate, right?

Create a new e-mail address with a password I've never used. Use 2FA on the new e-mail account.
Change my PSN's e-mail account to the new one.
Change PSN account's password to another I've never used. Use 2FA on my PSN account.

I've likely used the same password as my PSN one somewhere and I occasionally get junk mail on my PSN's e-mail address.

jobrro

I was able to add my mobile number to my US account and get the verification code but it won't allow me to activate 2FA yet. Added the number and successfully activated on my Australian account fine.

Quasar

I read about some restrictions for other devices than the PS4. Some sort of generated password. Any idea what that is about?

Not sure why they are using 1 time passwords for ps3 and psp. Its not like they aren't doing os updates anymore for them.Well for the PS3 at least.

There shouldn't be any issues using this as a clean slate, right?

Create a new e-mail address with a password I've never used. Use 2FA on the new e-mail account.
Change my PSN's e-mail account to the new one.
Change PSN account's password to another I've never used. Use 2FA on my PSN account.

I've likely used the same password as my PSN one somewhere and I occasionally get junk mail on my PSN's e-mail address.

That will do.

While you're at it, use a password manager/generator.

Tainted

Enabled 2FA via the PS4 for my account...works like a charm. You get an option to sign out on all other devices after setting it up (which I did)

Tested by signing back into my PS4 and the Playstation website and got the SMS code each time.

This is something which should have been in place a long time ago, but I'm glad its there now

jobrro

How did you add on your US account?

On the web store under Security in Account it says "For 2-Step Verification, please visit this page.", clicked the link and added the number. Still not allowing activation of 2FA which is to be expected until it rolls out.

Yup, in Australia, setup on my account fine.

Semi-interesting: the number from which the SMS originated was from the UK, and was the same number as SMS notifications as Steam, Microsoft, Blizzard, Google.

Top Bottom