• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rolling out two-factor authentication: AUS+NZL tomorrow, other regions to follow

kjacobson

Neo Member
On the web store under Security in Account it says "For 2-Step Verification, please visit this page.", clicked the link and added the number. Still not allowing activation of 2FA which is to be expected until it rolls out.

Gotcha, just not showing up in mine yet. I'll just be patient then!

Mikey Jr.

I think when it finally goes up in Europe and NA/SA, someone should make a thread. Just so everyone can do it at once.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What's GCT ?

A quick google search: GCT is Greenwich Civil Time.

So when can we expect two-factor authentication in NA ?

lol...GCT (Grace Chen Time) is a joke about how Playstation Store updates seemed to go up arbitrarily without any type of schedule.

Although joking it does kind of fit because we have no idea when NA might be going up :)

I was so close to coming in the thread to say it's must be BS because the reddit post got deleted but it's true! Happy that other people are getting it! kind of wish the NA got it so I can do mines too. Oh well :(

Set up my AU account with the 2 step verification, works like a charm. :)

Looks like you can set up an AU number for a US account as well, although you can't enable 2 step verification just yet on US accounts.

steveovig

What happens if you don't have a smart phone? Can non-smart phones receive SMS messages? This is not me being sarcastic, as I really don't know. All I have is an older style cell phone for emergencies.

Tainted

I've just been spammed around 20 2FA SMS's to my phone...and I havent been trying to login on other devices.

All the sms's have unique codes. Either someone is trying to hack into my account and the 2FA is doing its job or there is a bug in the system :/

KaoteK

Set up my AU account with the 2 step verification, works like a charm. :)

Looks like you can set up an AU number for a US account as well, although you can't enable 2 step verification just yet on US accounts.

That's the news I've been hoping for, need it as I live in Cambodia which doesn't officially have psn, so I use a US account instead.

I've just been spammed around 20 2FA SMS's to my phone...and I havent been trying to login on other devices.

All the sms's have unique codes. Either someone is trying to hack into my account and the 2FA is doing its job or there is a bug in the system :/

This just went live, right? Probably a glitch, yeah.

Can't wait for 2FA to go live everywhere else!

Tainted

This just went live, right? Probably a glitch, yeah.

Can't wait for 2FA to go live everywhere else!

Most probably

I have now received 40 SMS's from Sony within the space of around 20mins. I have had to switch my phone to silent as it is bugging the hell out of me.

I'm not sure when these SMS's are going to stop. I may need to block the number until this is sorted out. :(

Freaking finally. I'm not a fan of the SMS solution though. Hopefully Sony implements the kind that Google, Origin, Steam and Battle.NET does. The random number generator. Specifically one that gives you a QR code to put in an app like Authenticator for iPhone.

alexbull_uk

Excellent addition. Hopefully they'll eventually add support for authenticator, but no complaints. This is a step firmly in the right direction.

PaulLFC

Good to see the Reddit post was accurate and this is live - now to just hope it rolls out to everywhere else soon so I can enable it in the UK.

About fucking time. two-factor should be the minimum these days, especially if you take somebody elses money

Freaking finally. I'm not a fan of the SMS solution though. Hopefully Sony implements the kind that Google, Origin, Steam and Battle.NET does. The random number generator. Specifically one that gives you a QR code to put in an app like Authenticator for iPhone.

Wait, you mean it doesn't use the TOTP standard... FFS Sony.

Wait, if it doesn't give you a random number, what does it give you?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Microsoft, Ubisoft and even Beam use the code generator too.

EmiPrime

It looks like they're using the same 2FA method that Dropbox and Paypal use and that Google fall back to. Is this really a problem? Was anyone really expecting an authenticator app as good as Microsoft's?

mcz117chief

Thank God it's not smartphones only. I haven't been able to use steam marketplace and other places because of it, good think Sony is thinking of people who don't have a smartphone.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It looks like they're using the same 2FA method that Dropbox and Paypal use and that Google fall back to. Is this really a problem? Was anyone really expecting an authenticator app as good as Microsoft's?

On iOS even Microsoft asks you to use Google's authentication app. Which works for multiple services.

Well it do, but it sends an SMS with it, you don't open Google Authenticator or Authy etc etc, you get sent an SMS to your phone.

Oh, OK. I get it. I'm fine with the SMS, in all honesty. I mess with my phone too much to worry about having to restore an authenticator.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So how is 2FA working for this?

You need to put in a code from a text message or something, as well as your password?

You log in as you normally would and then input the code you're sent to confirm. It's no different to other 2FA methods.

Edit: Oh, and you do have to input a code if you manually log out and then back in. As expected, it's not simply a one-off system authorisation but rather a confirmation of each manual login attempt.

Kayant

To add Paypal as an app method via VIP Access which you can set up following this -
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Tips-from-Moderators/PayPal-Security-Key/td-p/433633

Also Dropbox has TOTP

Tbh I personally don't like app based methods like MS's, Blizzard because they don't have additional level of protection through something like a pin before opening the app to approve the login request.

SMS solution is fine but does seem to reduce worldwide availability compared to app based solutions or things like TOTP.

Tainted

Most probably

I have now received 40 SMS's from Sony within the space of around 20mins. I have had to switch my phone to silent as it is bugging the hell out of me.

I'm not sure when these SMS's are going to stop. I may need to block the number until this is sorted out. :(

Hey gaffers...just an update to this. I posted this issue on reddit and the overwhelming response was that someone was trying to hack into my account. It's VERY coincidental that it happened rigth after I renabled 2FA, but anyway..

I logged into my account on the Sony website, changed the password, disabled and re-enabled 2FA and it has stopped the SMS spam

Just in case someone else has this issue, hope this helps

I guess I should feel lucky that 2FA was doing its job :)

So how is 2FA working for this?

You need to put in a code from a text message or something, as well as your password?

You add something to your basket and you get an SMS. You input the code and the itme gets added to the basket. For everything you add to the basket.
Then when you get to the checkout you don't have to authorize jack shit.
I think this is a little wonky. Checkout would be better.

Tainted

And maybe you should give Sony a call to tell them that someone may have hacked your account???

If that as the cause of the SMS spam...then they didnt get into it, as 2FA was preventing them from logging in.

I have checked everything and it all appears to be ok...I'm not sure what calling Sony would achieve ?

Lima

People are concerned about SMS because sadly it is not viewed as secure anymore. Read this if you want a detailed report as to why published by the National Institue of Standards and Technology.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

This isn't about losing your phone or someone else being able to access it.

It is about cloning your SIM card without you knowing it. It's another step 'hackers' have taken in social engineering over the last 2 years or so. They will call your mobile provider and acquire a SIM card with your phone number and then you are fucked. T-Mobile recently changed how easy it is to acquire SIM cards after big youtubers and twitch streamers got hacked that way.

It's also why pretty much all banks in Europe offer a hardware generator for online banking. Many of them still offer 2 step via phones but it is not recommended anymore.

It's a start for Sony but they should be working on getting Authenticator app support asap.

Bishop89

There shouldn't be any issues using this as a clean slate, right?

Create a new e-mail address with a password I've never used. Use 2FA on the new e-mail account.
Change my PSN's e-mail account to the new one.
Change PSN account's password to another I've never used. Use 2FA on my PSN account.

I've likely used the same password as my PSN one somewhere and I occasionally get junk mail on my PSN's e-mail address.

This isn't really necessary right guys?

If im logged in on all my devices, im guessing this goes into gear when someone tries to login with the same credentials on another device, so there's not really any point?

Or would it be best to create a new email just for psn?

Top Bottom