• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rolling out two-factor authentication: AUS+NZL tomorrow, other regions to follow

People are concerned about SMS because sadly it is not viewed as secure anymore. Read this if you want a detailed report as to why published by the National Institue of Standards and Technology.

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

This isn't about losing your phone or someone else being able to access it.

It is about cloning your SIM card without you knowing it. It's another step 'hackers' have taken in social engineering over the last 2 years or so. They will call your mobile provider and acquire a SIM card with your phone number and then you are fucked. T-Mobile recently changed how easy it is to acquire SIM cards after big youtubers and twitch streamers got hacked that way.

It's also why pretty much all banks in Europe offer a hardware generator for online banking. Many of them still offer 2 step via phones but it is not recommended anymore.

It's a start for Sony but they should be working on getting Authenticator app support asap.

In fairness, this requires alot more knowledge of the person and is far more a targeted attack than the typical PSN scam.

There is a pretty big gulf between the typical script kiddie who catches a few passwords via phishing and organised identity theft.

Jotaka

People are concerned about SMS because sadly it is not viewed as secure anymore. Read this if you want a detailed report as to why published by the National Institue of Standards and Technology.

If someone is targeting you at this level... well you are pretty much fucked. SIM swap scam is very focused attack.

Kysen

I would have preferred to use Googles' authenticator app as that works with multiple of my accounts (live, lastpass). I don't know how this will handle a UK phone number on a JP account.

Aceofspades

Banned

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

This isn't about losing your phone or someone else being able to access it.

It is about cloning your SIM card without you knowing it. It's another step 'hackers' have taken in social engineering over the last 2 years or so. They will call your mobile provider and acquire a SIM card with your phone number and then you are fucked. T-Mobile recently changed how easy it is to acquire SIM cards after big youtubers and twitch streamers got hacked that way.

It's also why pretty much all banks in Europe offer a hardware generator for online banking. Many of them still offer 2 step via phones but it is not recommended anymore.

It's a start for Sony but they should be working on getting Authenticator app support asap.

In my country SMS issuance requires your ID and fingerprints. They want to keep fraud and harassment to a minimum.

Rellik

Thank God it's not smartphones only. I haven't been able to use steam marketplace and other places because of it, good think Sony is thinking of people who don't have a smartphone.

I didn't even think of that.

I'm guilty sometimes of thinking everyone has a smartphone so I'm glad those who don't are able to use this too.

If someone wants to go through the effort of cloning my sim so they can play some free games that I've already purchased then good luck to them.

Hopefully this is out in the UK today.

Quick question: If I do a an SMS and then later changed my phone number, would I be locked out? Or can I still use my email to bypass it?

Bishop89

can someone explain the device setup password for non ps4 devices?

Do i have to set up a different password for my ps3 and vita? Cant be the same pw?

Tainted

Quick question: If I do a an SMS and then later changed my phone number, would I be locked out? Or can I still use my email to bypass it?

When you login to the 2FA site, they provide you with 10 single use backup codes to access your account / devices

Backup Codes

If you are unable to receive your 2-step verification code for any reason, you can still sign in using a backup code. These are the only backup codes available to you. Each code can only be used once.

Do i have to set up a different password for my ps3 and vita? Cant be the same pw?

When I logged into my PS3 after setting up 2FA, it directed me to the site to retrieve a device code. This code is unique to your account and device. Once you have the code, you enter it into the password field in place of your normal password

Lima

You will have to setup a devise code or app password as some services call it.

It's an option on the site after you enable 2FA. Just hit create and it will create a code and display it to you. You then use this to login with your email and this generated pw on the PS3. For the vita you would have to create another device code.

They stay permanently logged in then.

Tainted

I'm trying to get my head weapped around the PS3 method of 2fa... How is this more secure?

If someone tried to access another PS3 using your account and you have 2FA active, it would force them to get a device code which are only accessible in your account area on the Sony website which itself is secured by SMS code. Hence they are unable to access your account

If someone tried to access another PS3 using your account and you have 2FA active, it would force them to get a device code which are only accessible in your account area on the Sony website which itself is secured by SMS code. Hence they are unable to access your account

Ah there's the missing link. Interesting that they had to do this device code.

Tainted

Ah there's the missing link. Interesting that they had to do this device code.

Yep, you will see how it works once you enable 2FA, its pretty straight forward. once you activate 2FA its account level across the board....so you cannot login to any part of the Sony website without an SMS code.

Shahed

Just update your phone number on PSN beforehand. If you do it via a place you've logged in previously you can probably change it as well. Won't be an issue

Most probably

I have now received 40 SMS's from Sony within the space of around 20mins. I have had to switch my phone to silent as it is bugging the hell out of me.

I'm not sure when these SMS's are going to stop. I may need to block the number until this is sorted out. :(

Typical.
You wait years for one 2FA SMS from Sony and then 40 arrive in the space of 20 mins :)

I haven't followed every post but is SMS a problem for some folks? That's how I know most of the 2FA implementations work, several sites I use frequently send text messages to my phone for verification.

Bishop89

really stupid question.

do i put my FULL number when it prompts me or do I exclude the country code number?

i.e if my country code is +61 (which is 0) do I enter 0412 345 678 or do i put 412 345 678

Gradly

What should I do if I don't have a mobile phone? I hope they keep old process available as well.

You just won't be able to enable this feature. its not mandatory, unless Sony forces it which is highly unlikely. Or you buy a phone :)

Gradly

really stupid question.

do i put my FULL number when it prompts me or do I exclude the country code number?

i.e if my country code is +61 (which is 0) do I enter 0412 345 678 or do i put 412 345 678

In general you don't include the 0 when you input the full country code, in your example it will be +61412345678

Edit: And each service has its form design choices, some will allow you to choose the country code from a drop-down list, some will make you enter the full mobile number, some will show you an example but in all cases the final number will be as written before :)

Bishop89

In general you don't include the 0 when you input the full country code, in your example it will be +61412345678

Edit: And each service has its form design choices, some will allow you to choose the country code from a drop-down list, some will make you enter the full mobile number, some will show you an example but in all cases the final number will be as written before :)

thanks dude

BigEmil

SMS authentication is still safer than without.
If the hacker got your account then finds out he also after has to go through the hassle of the SMS so has to also now clone your sim etc they wouldn't bother anymore. Plus they'll need your number and sim provider details in the first place. This is only an issue for famous people who have their details spread out

really stupid question.

I put my full number in (with the 0) and it works fine.

is anyone else getting an error?

"An error occured during communication with the server"

I did, just try it again and it should work.

Bishop89

yeh just putting my mobile # as i normally would type it worked.

So this device setup for ps3, I enterred the code as per sony website, checked 'sign in automatically', now what?

So do I need to remember this random password now?
What happens if i sign out for whatever reason and want to sign back in, will I have to go back to the sony website to generate another code?

Edit: Wait, so the 'login' password which sony website generates is ONLy for signing in, you still use your normal pw for logging into anything else which prompts for it, such as account settings on the consoles?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So do I need to remember this random password now?

...No, since you generate a new one everytime you login into a different place/location.

What happens if i sign out for whatever reason and want to sign back in, will I have to go back to the sony website to generate another code?

No. They'll SMS you the code.

Edit: Wait, so the 'login' password which sony website generates is ONLy for signing in, you still use your normal pw for logging into anything else which prompts for it, such as account settings on the consoles?

Yes exactly. Something you know, something you have. AKA: 2-factor.

1. You know (your password)
2. You have (your phone/authenticator).

"2-factor."

Bishop89

xSdbwTP.png

so it says my 2nd device setup pw is unused, but I just used it for my vita

(the first one i used for my ps3, tried to use it for my vita but wouldnt work so had to generate a new one).

1. Why isn't it showing it being used
2. what happens if i revoke it, will i get logged out on my vita?

Sorry for the billion questions, this is all new to me.

EDIT: NEVERMIND, its just delayed, it now says its being used.

Most probably

I have now received 40 SMS's from Sony within the space of around 20mins. I have had to switch my phone to silent as it is bugging the hell out of me.

I'm not sure when these SMS's are going to stop. I may need to block the number until this is sorted out. :(

As others have pointed out. Your password was compromised and someone was trying to access your account. Good thing you activated this security option :D

still nothing for the rest of the world ? thats kinda weird
The "AUS+NZL" in the thread title refers to Australia and New Zealand.

The original source on Reddit (since proven to be true) stated that 2FA was being rolled out in AUS+NZL first, and Sony would monitor how it went before expanding the rollout to other regions. I guess we're still in the 'monitoring' stage.

Sorry if this was addressed already (I didn't want to read through 400 posts because I'm at work... or lazy) but it's a fucking bummer it seems to be SMS only. What good is 2FA when your only method of authentication is through something that's unencrypted and able to be easily worked around (or intercepted)?

Any and all 2FA should have on-device generator support (Google Authenticator, Duo Security, etc) or push authentication. Any telephone or SMS auth is fucking ridiculous at this point. It's the equivalent of the chip-and-signature cards in the US when everyone else has been using chip-and-pin for years.

Barf. =/

edit: unless it does support authenticators, in which case ignore me. I saw the OP screencaps and it looked like it was SMS only.

Top Bottom