• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says Vita was developed for PS4 more than PS3, not unreasonable to own both

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415256/sony-says-vita-was-developed-for-ps4-much-more-than-ps3/

"[Vita] is a very worthy and better successor to PSP," Gara said. "Where it's been difficult has been proving the companion status for PlayStation 3. The fact is it was developed for PS4, much more than PS3.

"The number of things we could demonstrate and prove was limited - there's been some good examples - but now we go into the PS4 era, that companion device will look far more clear. We're optimistic it's got a lot more legs left in it and the PS4 has given it a shot in the arm."

Gara added: "When you consider something like Watch Dogs will be available for PS Vita via the Remote Play functionality it's very exciting. And the fact the PS4 is coming out at a well-received price point means it's not out of the question to own both."

Lock if old

Akira_83

Banned
yeah so exciting

watch dogs on the Vita *BARF*

cant wait to perform vital actions using the abysmal backtouch controls

and if i wanted to touch a screen to control a game i would just stick to my Iphone 4S

no sony, give me vita games built around the hardware limitations ( only 2 triggers, no clickable sticks, etc)

Well I don't plan on owning a PS4, so really I don't see much remaining argument for the Vita. :/

EDIT: I have a Vita, but don't play it enough. To be fair, this is not entirely the fault of the Vita, and partially the fault of me buying too much shit.

zoukka

If Wii U with the enforced gamepad support can't deliver enough games and meaningful content yet, then what chance does the Vita+ps4 connectivity has...

hamchan

If remote play actually works well then I'll be pretty pleased. Taking Off-TV Play and turning it into a bullet point for the PS4 is fantastic.

If Wii U with the enforced gamepad support can't deliver enough games and meaningful content yet, then what chance does the Vita+ps4 connectivity has...

Judging by E3, all the devs have suddenly had ideas on how to implement it so I don't see it being much of an issue. Remote play will be good although it will be more practical on some games than others

yeah so exciting

and if i wanted to touch a screen to control a game i would just stick to my Iphone 4S

no sony, give me vita games built around the hardware limitations ( only 2 triggers, no clickable sticks, etc)

I don't think that the Vita's controls for remote play will be THAT bad. Just do it this way and you're set:

L3 - Left half of front touch
R3 - Right half of front touch
Secondary Shoulder buttons (least used) - left/right halves of back touch.
Primary Shoulder Buttons (i.e. - aim/shoot) - L & R

After that, everything else is the same. Is it perfect? No. Will it get me by if my family wants to use the TV while I want to play? Yes.

I don't know about you, but paying $650 for both seems pretty unreasonable.

This. I'm not paying that much for a peripheral, and I'm not paying that much for a handheld system without the exclusives to justify its price. It is, as usual, a feature for people who already own Vitas, not a great incentive to make people buy one

I already own a Vita. Will own a PS4.

But please, make some actual games for Vita and not just indie or low budget games. Remote play is fine, but if Vita remains just as a second screen for PS4, I will be disappointed.

I hope Gamescon brings us new titles for Vita.

Akira_83

Banned
I don't think that the Vita's controls for remote play will be THAT bad. Just do it this way and you're set:

L3 - Left half of front touch
R3 - Right half of front touch
Secondary Shoulder buttons (least used) - left/right halves of back touch.
Primary Shoulder Buttons (i.e. - aim/shoot) - L & R

After that, everything else is the same. Is it perfect? No. Will it get me by if my family wants to use the TV while I want to play? Yes.

well first off the back touch is shit, because its almost impossible to play without hitting it on accident

happened all the time playing MGS3 and fucked up stealth runs because that makes you slash your knife

and what about in an FPS like Killzone, 90% of those games these days use left stick click to sprint. So ill need to hold the front left screen while also moving the stick? how will that work?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That doesn't explain the compromises they have to make to the control schemes between the 2

Akira_83

Banned
I already own a Vita. Will own a PS4.

But please, make some actual games for Vita and not just indie or low budget games. Remote play is fine, but if Vita remains just as a second screen for PS4, I will be disappointed.

I hope Gamescon brings us new titles for Vita.

yup

i didnt spend all that money for a wii u gamepad basically

i want titles on the vita that i cant get on PS4 and vice versa... multiple libraries please

This. I'm not paying that much for a peripheral, and I'm not paying that much for a system without the exclusives to justify its price

It's far from a peripheral. It has a great library of games from PS1, PSP and Vita. All they are doing is giving you insight into how and why it was made like that and that while the PS3/Vita marriage couldn't work to it's fullest due to system limitations, the PS4/Vita marriage can.

It's far from a peripheral. It has a great library of games from PS1, PSP and Vita. All they are doing is giving you insight into how and why it was made like that and that while the PS3/Vita marriage couldn't work to it's fullest due to system limitations, the PS4/Vita marriage can.

It does not have a great library of games, which is why I said it doesn't have the exclusives to justify its price as a handheld. I won't buy it for that reason and I certainly won't buy it for remote play

SmokyDave

They want to appeal to those 4 or 5 fellas that also bought a Wii U *cough* SmokyDave *cough*

Everybody makes mistakes man. I was drunk and trying to look cool in front of some girls. I've learned my lesson :(

It does not have a great library of games, which is why I said it doesn't have the exclusives to justify its price as a handheld. I won't buy it for that reason and I certainly won't buy it for remote play
It does have a great library of games.

...your move.

SYNTAX182

So it's basically more pr to get people to buy this thing instead of actually providing more game content that I'd be interested in. Good one. Sony I really want to buy one but you gotta try harder than this.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I won't lie. The remote play feature is the biggest reason I actually want a PS4 at this point. It's pretty much the only system selling feature of the thing so far. Of course the games will come in time, but for now Sony aren't exactly knocking it out of the park with exclusive games for PS4, and the games shown aren't really showing a meaningful advancement in terms of gameplay. But the ability to play console games on a handheld as amazing as Vita? I want it now.

Nnamz

Banned
well first off the back touch is shit, because its almost impossible to play without hitting it on accident

happened all the time playing MGS3 and fucked up stealth runs because that makes you slash your knife

and what about in an FPS like Killzone, 90% of those games these days use left stick click to sprint. So ill need to hold the front left screen while also moving the stick? how will that work?

I have no problems with accidental back touching since I use grips. L3 cannot be replaced by the front screen properly though....but the down button can be. I hope we have full customization options. Using down to sprint in declassified and burning skies worked just fine.

Maybe those games don't appeal to you but that doesn't mean there aren't games for it. I have played mine near enough every day since I bought it and I can't see that changing with the titles to come later this year

Krakn3Dfx

Sounds like Sony is requiring all PS4 games to play remotely on the Vita except for camera/motion control games, while Nintendo offers it as an option, but doesn't require it. Also, remote play o nthe Vita isn't confined to the 30 sq. feet around the PS4, like it is with the Wii U. I can be sitting at my office at work, and as long as I have a wifi connection, I can play PS4 games on my Vita.

Seems a lot more functional than what the Wii U does w/ the pad at this point. Plus, you know the PS4 will have actual games instead of the promise of actual games.

Bishop89

ok maybe it wont be that great for certain types of games, but it can work for others like racing games / indie games and games of that nature.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How about you actually developed and moneyhat some real AAA vita games first huh Sony?

they dont even put in much funding towards the Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and jak and daxter ports.

Crisium

Wish that Vita had a 1080p screen instead of te 540p low res it has now :/

Even if the Vita had a 1080p screen, I doubt remote play would be 1080. That's a lot of bandwidth for the PS4 to send to it. 540 to 1080 is more than 4x as many pixels, and you know the PS4 will be doing extra work to relay the game to remote play.

Besides, 540 at 5 inches is still incredible DPI. Sure there are smartphones with 1080 now, but the benefit there is mostly for viewing webpages and images. The difference between the two resolutions on such a small screen for gaming would be less noticeable. It would not worth the performance hit.

And OLED. It more than makes up for any perceived lack of pixels (which I think there is no lack).

It does have a great library of games.

...your move.

I do not consider a library of mostly games readily available elsewhere to be "great". The precious few worthwhile exclusives don't justify the price tag. This stuff with indie ports and remote play is great for people who already own Vitas, but a poor incentive to buy one.

Interfectum

yeah so exciting

You seem quite angry.

Top Bottom