• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says Vita was developed for PS4 more than PS3, not unreasonable to own both

yeah so exciting

watch dogs on the Vita *BARF*

cant wait to perform vital actions using the abysmal backtouch controls

and if i wanted to touch a screen to control a game i would just stick to my Iphone 4S

no sony, give me vita games built around the hardware limitations ( only 2 triggers, no clickable sticks, etc)

What i take from this post... you are anti Sony, pro Apple, and mad about something. Do you own a Vita?
I am personally excited for cross play. Will be good to lay in bed at night and interface with the PS4.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am hoping Vita gets used heavily in Watch Dogs. I love how the WiiU gamepad essentially removes the HUD from games like Batman AC and Assassin's Creed 3 and puts maps, info, health bars on the gamepad. If they give Vita owners the same options, I will be quite happy.

Bikram

It does not have a great library of games, which is why I said it doesn't have the exclusives to justify its price as a handheld. I won't buy it for that reason and I certainly won't buy it for remote play

Oh god not this again.

Most people who live with families and don't have dedicated TV for games will use this feature if done properly.

See, now you changed it. Now it's a "large library" instead of a "great library." I never disputed that games do exist on the system, you interpreted it too literally (or chose to since you're back pedaling at this point.) I don't care if you tell me games exist on the system, I care if you try to tell me those games are great and then pretend that's an objective statement.

Here is a list of scores on metacritic for all Vita games that have an average of at least 70/100 i.e 7/10. This is a good score for games to get. A lot of games in this list do not appeal to me but they clearly do appeal to others and this shows the range of good games the Vita has right now.

As I said, they might not appeal to you but that doesn't mean there aren't good/great/whatever games on the system

LIMBO - 90
Rayman Origins - 88
Machinarium - 88
Velocity Ultra - 88
LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - 88
Guacamelee! - 87
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - 86
Sine Mora - 85
Mortal Kombat - 85
Sound Shapes - 84
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 84
Lumines: Electronic Symphony - 83
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD - 83
Gravity Rush - 83
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend - 83
Super Stardust Delta - 82
Fuel Tiracas - 82
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - 81
DJMAX Technika Tune - 81
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 80
Dead or Alive 5 Plus - 80
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 80
FIFA Soccer - 79
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland - 79
Street Fighter X Tekken - 79
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game - 79
Wipeout 2048 - 79
Knytt Underground - 79
Retro City Rampage - 79
Switch Galaxy - 79
Surge - 79
The Pinball Arcade - 79
MotorStorm RC - 78
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - 78
Thomas Was Alone - 78
SunFlowers - 78
Puddle - 77
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition - 77
Soul Sacrifice - 77
Plants vs. Zombies - 77
PulzAR - 77
MLB 12: The Show - 76
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - 76
Dokuro - 76
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken - 76
Hustle Kings - 75
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 75
Frobisher Says! - 74
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery: Episode One - A Bump in the Night - 74
When Vikings Attack! - 73
Haunt the House: Terrortown - 73
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus - 72
Smart as... - 72
Big Sky: Infinity - 71
Rymdkapsel - 71
Unit 13 - 71
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - 71
Escape Plan - 71
Urban Trial Freestyle - 71
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation - 70
New Little King's Story - 70

Akira_83

Banned
What are you on about? It is reasonable to slam the Vita for lack of games but the device itself is awesome.

i think the device is awesome

but from a control standpoint it ISNT the same as a dualshock 4

does the vita have 4 triggers? clickable sticks?

no

is the touchscreen a viable solution? not IMO

Akira_83

Banned
What i take from this post... you are anti Sony, pro Apple, and mad about something. Do you own a Vita?
I am personally excited for cross play. Will be good to lay in bed at night and interface with the PS4.

yeah i own a vita, since day 1. Probably own more retail+digital games than most other supposed vita fans on this forum

i hate touchscreen gaming, thats my point. I dont play games on my iphone 4s, and i dont want touch games on my vita

using the touchscreen as an L2/R2 substitute is junk, thats why this idea of remote play doesnt excite me at all

i dont want games built for consoles with more inputs somehow scaled and shoehorned into a portable

i want games BUILT for the portable

QaaQer

Yeah I wonder why people would be pessimistic about Vita....

I know you're being sarcastic, but I wonder too. I guess people must have their reasons. Not being Freud, I'm not sure what those reasons are.

thread about some interesting new features being rolled out for Vita with PS4-->collective dump taken.

But whatever, its a toy. a lot of people have fun with it, there are lots of fun games, & offscreen play with ps4 looks to add more fun to platform. *shrug*

Ponn

Banned
Well, it was obvious Vita and PS4 would be built to work together unlike PSP and PS3 that were not built from the ground up to work in tandem causing less than desirable integration. On the other hand I was kind of afraid of this approach and had the feeling they just released the Vita early and didn't plan on fully supporting it till after PS4 came out. Consider it a soft launch.

SmokyDave

It's not, but the poor sales is partially why the criticism exists.
I don't see how that ties into improved remote play functionality though.

It's about time people gave up on the idea that the Vita is going to get a ton of exclusive handheld specific IPs and start shifting units. It ain't. What you see is what you get. If that doesn't appeal now, fair enough. Endlessly stating what Sony need to do to achieve mainstream sales success is pointless. It ain't gonna happen.

I get that people want to want a Vita, but it should be clear by now what to expect from the device.

It's about time people gave up on the idea that the Vita is going to get a ton of exclusive handheld specific IPs and start shifting units. It ain't. What you see is what you get. If that doesn't appeal now, fair enough. Endlessly stating what Sony need to do to achieve mainstream sales success is pointless. It ain't gonna happen.

I get that people want to want a Vita, but it should be clear by now what to expect from the device.

tumblr_m23fqy9EZ41r6aoq4o1_500.gif

Noi

If they're gonna have PS+ be a requirement for online play on PS4 now, they aren't completely wrong. You're gonna have a library of Vita games "sitting" there just by being subbed, may as well make use of them.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I don't think having people lower their expectations for the hardware they purchased is necessarily good at all. I'm not even unhappy with my Vita but that just bugs me a lot.

Here is a list of scores on metacritic for all Vita games that have an average of at least 70/100 i.e 7/10. This is a good score for games to get. A lot of games in this list do not appeal to me but they clearly do appeal to others and this shows the range of good games the Vita has right now.

As I said, they might not appeal to you but that doesn't mean there aren't good/great/whatever games on the system

All your list has done is prove my original point that the Vita lacks a good number of exclusives to justify its price tag.

All your list has done is prove my original point that the Vita lacks a good number of exclusives to justify its price tag.

I really can't be bothered to go through this anymore. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of good games on the Vita. Some exclusive, some ports with extra content and some that are just ports.

SmokyDave

I don't think having people lower their expectations for the hardware they purchased is necessarily good at all. I'm not even unhappy with my Vita but that just bugs me a lot.

What's the alternative? Keep holding on for some big exclusive retail titles even though all signs point to 'not happening'? That sounds like an exercise in frustration.

That's why mandated remote play is such good news. It's this or nothing, not this or some hypothetical AAA Vita-native library.

bebop242

If they're gonna have PS+ be a requirement for online play on PS4 now, they aren't completely wrong. You're gonna have a library of Vita games "sitting" there just by being subbed, may as well make use of them.

This. It's going to be tempting for people having a mass collection of titles available to play for it. And you add the novelty of being able to off TV play PS4 games on top of possible streaming of PS1/2/3 titles, its going to create sales in the future.

Sure doesn't hurt that there will be an influx of new people to the PS enviroment with the PS4.

you dont mind the much lower res or washed out colors?

just an honest question

i guess because graphics and IQ are a top concern for me ive found the gamepad useless... i think it looks bad
I think the lower res is helped greatly by the dpi. Honestly, even though it's only 480p I find Wii U games tend to look really attractive on the gamepad. Honestly, Vita's not all that far off resolution wise and some games like Uncharted GA actually render less pixels than native 480p. If you can stomach 540p, I don't see what so awful about the next step down to 480p?

Color is down mainly to implementation though. There's certainly "washed out" games (Sonic Racing being one tragically) but that tends to be the minority.

Akira_83

Banned
What's the alternative? Keep holding on for some big exclusive retail titles even though all signs point to 'not happening'? That sounds like an exercise in frustration.

That's why mandated remote play is such good news. It's this or nothing, not this or some hypothetical AAA Vita-native library.

so at launch and the subsequent months when they were releasing a bunch of awesome, big budget (relative to platform) games like assassins creed, uncharted, wipeout, gravity rush, resistance, unit 13, ninja gaiden, etc etc was i supposed to know they were gonna just drop retail and full blown portable game support?

should i not be pissed that i feel conned into buying whats becoming a machine that plays 2d games even though the tech is way more capable?

i dont see why i have to be happy or accepting of that

if Sony pushed the vita at launch as nothing more than an accessory for the ps4 and handful of 2d games, it would have been my fault for being misinformed

but now i sit here with 20+ retail games and a system i love dearly. But 20 games isnt enough for the lifetime of the system. The Vita is still so young, and when there are games that are just so OBVIOUS to put on the system its maddening to not see it. Assassins Creed did more than good enough sales, same with uncharted. the PSP was not a sales juggernaut but Gran Turismo moved serious units...

SmokyDave

so at launch and the subsequent months when they were releasing a bunch of awesome, big budget (relative to platform) games like assassins creed, uncharted, wipeout, gravity rush, resistance, unit 13, ninja gaiden, etc etc was i supposed to know they were gonna just drop retail and full blown portable game support?
Nope, but therein lies the danger of early adoption.

should i not be pissed that i feel conned into buying whats becoming a machine that plays 2d games even though the tech is way more capable?

i dont see why i have to be happy or accepting of that

if Sony pushed the vita at launch as nothing more than an accessory for the ps4 and handful of 2d games, it would have been my fault for being misinformed
You have every right to be pissed, but you should probably recognise by now that it isn't going to change. You're ranting and raving in every topic like this and where has it got you? Aren't you about ready to say 'fuck it' and throw in the towel?

I bought a Wii-U thinking that Off-TV would be awesome, and it is. Thing is I underestimated just how terrible 3rd party support would be, and I don't really care for Nintendo stuff. Now I'm in that position I can either rage about it, live with it, or sell my Wii-U. Options 2 & 3 look far more appealing and far less stressful than option 1 to me.

I understand your frustration, I just don't understand why you haven't given up on the device yet given that it's morphed into something completely unsuitable for your tastes and preferences. I'd kill for the Vita to turn into the device you want it to be, coincidentally. It's heartbreaking that the mass market don't want it and Sony don't seem to be inclined to change that. It is what it is though.

I really can't be bothered to go through this anymore. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of good games on the Vita. Some exclusive, some ports with extra content and some that are just ports.

And the point I made that you attempted to dispute was that there are few worthwhile exclusives, so you have accomplished nothing by copy/pasting a bunch of scores and my point, which was about MY decision not to buy this system, still stands.

And the point I made that you attempted to dispute was that there are few worthwhile exclusives, so you have accomplished nothing by copy/pasting a bunch of scores and my point, which was about MY decision not to buy this system, still stands.

I never disputed your decision not to buy the system which, your right, still stands. I disputed you saying there isn't a great library of games for it.

All I want from Vita is a 32GB card for a decent price. I'd buy and play so much more stuff. But every time I think about getting one, I stare down the $85 price tag and just can't pull the trigger. Even the 16 for $50 is too much. Twice I've almost done it but then just bought a new console game instead. The crazy memory card prices have truly crippled the system to me.

jacobeid

Banned
I don't get to play my handheld very often, so I was perfectly ok with going into my Vita purchase without a huge library. To be honest though, I have a backlog of games I want to play, and there are even more coming. Dead Nation is pretty huge to me and I'd like to pick up flower and guacamelee as well.

I'll continue to dig the indie titles and PSN exclusives and get real excited when PS4 drops.

Furoba

It would be cool if you could actually play these games on the move, getting the data from your system at home. Then I could see Vita making huge leaps forward.

Nikodemos

This is something Sony could mitigate by dropping the system's (console+memcard) price. The library will continue to be perceived as lacklustre by some, but the lower price will make it more palatable as a remote play accessory and handheld console (instead of the other way 'round).

Tobor

Remote play is HUGE for me.

There are certain types of games I prefer playing on handheld, like RPGs. Playing those games on Vita while watching TV or laying in bed is perfection.

When deciding whether or not to buy a game on Steam or PS4, remote play is going to be a factor for me. I'll spend more on Sony's platform as a result.

I could get an nvidia shield and do this with PC games, but it's far more expensive than the Vita and will only work with a selection of games.

This is something Sony could mitigate by dropping the system's (console+memcard) price. The library will continue to be perceived as lacklustre by some, but the lower price will make it more palatable as a remote play accessory and handheld console (instead of the other way 'round).

True. But unless the library really gets some great exclusive games in the future (Tearaway and maybe Killzone are a start), I'd say it would need to hit $150. And that's probably not going to happen for a long time; I imagine it took quite a bit to get the system to its current price already.

Top Bottom