• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY set to JUNK status

Forgive my ignorance but this means they spent 4b and made back the invested 4b then $100m profit right? That's not much considering.

Apart from PS3 I haven't bought anything Sony in over 20 years.

You've still purchased many products that Sony gets a cut from due to royalties and components however.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
H_Prestige said:
Nintendo shipped 150 million DS's and about 100 million Wii's.

Correct, but the key fact is that Nintendo's shipment advantage rests entirely on their massive (and historic) advantage in handheld sku's. Combining PS2 and PS3 shipments easily outstrips Wii and GC combined, and almost doubles MS 70m units (XBox being essentially discontinued prior to 360 launch).

Now if you consider that the handheld gaming segment is the one that has faced the stiffest upturn in competition, and that being a far more significant profit centre for Nintendo than it is for Sony, they are the company who's business model is most threatened by the changes in public taste.

A failing handheld is a far more calamitous prospect for Nintendo than Sony.

Triple U

Banned
Seriously man, crack has fried your brain. Can you even read, on page F-11 it clearly reads "Sony without Financial Services". Financial services is on page F-10.

Obviously Sony can just dump all its money losing bad assets and keep its profit making ones. Companies are eager to take on debt laden businesses that generate no income.

Sony make.believe.

That whole section is the "Condensed Financial Services Financial Statements" section, its not even IAW the US GAAP. You need to look at the consolidated balance sheets. Again, even though accounts payable are listed as a current liability, they are liquidated at a later time. The only actual debt coming off the books short-term is the short term borrowings and the current portion of long term equaling about 5.1bln.

And again still, cutting 90% of the TV business doesn't not mean a fire sale would happen. They've cut almost 30% YoY of TV and have returned to operating income and a likely profit soon. Losses decreased in the TV segment by two/thirds. There is almost no way that even furthering the cuts would have a reverse effect and create more loss.

Nintendo shipped 150 million DS's and about 100 million Wii's.

HOME CONSOLES

That whole section is the "Condensed Financial Services Financial Statements" section, its not even IAW the US GAAP. You need to look at the consolidated balance sheets. Again, even though accounts payable are listed as a current liability, they are liquidated at a later time. The only actual debt coming off the books short-term is the short term borrowings and the current portion of long term equaling about 5.1bln.

And again still, cutting 90% of the TV business doesn't not mean a fire sale would happen. They've cut almost 30% YoY of TV and have returned to operating income and a likely profit soon. Losses decreased in the TV segment by two/thirds. There is almost no way that even furthering the cuts would have a reverse effect and create more loss.

HOME CONSOLES

Sure, but I could have sworn Clear was including PSP in his Sony numbers.

noobie

Banned
Looking at this Pic, it look like there only issue is HE&S

Otherwise Mobile devices should improve there result and should be in black before the end of the year.

Other issue i feel is that there operating margins are quite low except for Financial Services. otherwise they are making low income against the sales

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
H_Prestige said:
Sure, but I could have sworn Clear was including PSP in his Sony numbers.

I used it for the Playstation brand total, just as an indicator of what its theoretically worth were Sony to divest it from their portfolio (not that I think that's likely!).

Combined PS2+PS3 is ~120m units since Nov 2005, PSP/Go numbers I just pulled from wikipedia page which references a Eurogamer article from September last year stating 71.4m PSP units. Realistically to get a tidy figure you need to shave a few months of sales off that total for sales accrued pre 11/05 (mainly Japan) and add on numbers shipped since that date (PS3 was at 51.8m at that point).

Doable, obviously,but somewhat pointless as although its a decent total for a non-Nintendo handheld, its always going to be a figure a long way shy of DS! And as I said that should come as non suprise given Ninty's historical domination of the field .

If Sony leaves the console market, which they won't, it will be done by selling the whole division to another company, possibly Apple, Google or Samsung. PlayStation will live on to fight another day regardless of Sony's own problems as the brand is valuable.

In fact all of Sony's brands are valuable, Vaio, Bravia, PlayStation, Xperia, Walkman and basically all of them are saleable or licenceable. The right management could work wonders with that kind of strong branding, Sony's management has been incompetent for the better part of 10 years though...

Specially when the actual products are very good. They don´t have a problem with quality. I have a Bravia LED TV and i don´t see any flaws in it. Chose it over the Samsung one because the sound was way better.

My phone is an Xperia S and it does everything an Galaxy SII does and more (it´s the comparable phone, the SIII came out later).

So, my point is, based on quality alone, the split on sales should be 90/10, it should be way closer to 50/50 with it´s rivals.

Their biggest problem is they lost mindshare and they don´t know how to sell the good products they make.

I would be more worried with Sony if they were producing shit products. I´m glad it´s not the case, so the housecleaning has to come for other parts.

Pranay

Really? What exactly are they doing different?

Seems like all the positive change is coming from the PC front imo.

Your point was ->

Like gaming will stop with Sony?

It will just mix things up and lead to new things and some new faces in the industry.

Not saying that I want them to go down but I dont mind seeing change.. specially with how the console industry is going

I was talking in console side of things.

Atleast Sony has more open to Free to play , Pub fund for indie game , better DD sales , PS+ has been awesome and having a better line up of games for core and casual users as compared to MS and Nintendo.

Will people please stop saying that Sony's movie division is doing fine. It is not. At all. People see the '$4 billion gross' press release and assume the majority of that figure will end up in Sony's back pocket. Nope.

SPE made a slender profit of $100m last quarter and a loss the quarter before that. That's a $100m profit on a gross of nearly $4 billion.
So they made profit = they're doing fine, atm.

noobie

Banned
Of course not. If you need 4 bln to make a profit of 100 mln that's a return on investment of 2.5%. That means if Sony had just put that money on the bank it would have made them more in interest.

That is one way of looking at it.. But right now with their situation, i think their first target is to bring all the division in black. Then in the next phases they can see which division/products/services can be made more efficient and more profitting and which should be let go.

noobie

Banned
Sony finding success in unusual place.
I dont know how accurate survey company is.. But if Sony is really doing good with Windows 8 sales than this is a good start for the company

Sony, Dell Win Big with Windows 8 Sales

The three companies sold a large number of Windows 8 PCs last week as consumers endured massive crowds and long lines on the biggest shopping day of the year.

In conducting a retail survey, Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry found that Acer and Sony produced the "hottest-selling Windows 8 notebooks." According to Chowdhry, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Stores had a "very strong promotion" on the Acer Aspire V5 notebook, which is powered by an Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) Core i5 processor. He estimates that each Microsoft Store had about 500 units. "[They] were completely sold out within the first 30 minutes," Chowdhry wrote in a note to investors and reporters. During the promotional period, Microsoft sold the Aspire V5 for $399.

Not to be outdone, some Microsoft Stores also sold out of a $1,500 touch-enabled Ultrabook from Sony. "Sony Vaio Touch Intel i7 was the fastest selling Windows 8 notebook in the high-end category," Chowdhry added.

While this may be the year that the desktop PC died, Dell has not given up on the market. And it's a good thing, too -- if it had, it could not have built the fastest-selling all-in-one Windows 8 desktop. On Black Friday, Dell's XPS One 27 earned that crown.

Chowdhry said that while he could not get any color on the number of units available, the converged view was that the "demand was too high" for Dell's $2,000 machine.

Not every Windows 8 device performed well on Black Friday. Chowdhry estimated that Microsoft lost one in five sales on the Surface RT because of the ARM (NASDAQ: ARMH) chipset. "Had Microsoft first shipped Surface on Intel chips vs. on ARM chips, sales of Surface would have been 5X better than current levels," the analyst wrote.

Regardless, Chowdhry found that Microsoft "had decent sales on Windows Surface RT."

"We observed a lot of interest in Microsoft Surface, but interest was not necessarily leading to sales," he said. "We spoke to no less than 30 people, who showed the most interest in Microsoft Surface RT, but did not make the purchase. 'We are going to wait for the Pro version of the Surface, as that will run on Intel Chips,' was the unanimous view we got."
How many stores Microsoft has?

So they made profit = they're doing fine, atm.

Profit and losses are temporary and not very important for investors in the short term. What that is much more important is the revenue growth, and the pic showing MP&C's revenue going from 141.7 to 300.4 billion yen in 1 year shows how important that division is. Conversely almost every other division in Sony is shrinking, including games, and that's terrible news for Sony.

noobie

Banned
I checked out that Sony W8 Ultrabook and it is an incredible product. Well deserved IMHO. Sony at its best. Design/power and style.

If this product is really selling well than they might turn profit in gaming division i believe. Because Gaming and laptops are in one division as far as i remember.

Fezan

I checked out that Sony W8 Ultrabook and it is an incredible product. Well deserved IMHO. Sony at its best. Design/power and style.

Strange it has very less and average reviews yet its selling well. Viaos are mostly have good to great reviews yet they dont sell

noobie

Banned
Banks offer to help Sony offload battery unit: Reports

TOKYO: Sony Corp has been approached by at least three investment banks offering to sell its battery business as the struggling Japanese group looks to offload non-core assets and focus on reviving its consumer electronics business, banking sources said.

Selling the unit, which employs 2,700 people and had sales last year of $1.74 billion, would help Sony cut costs and generate cash as it restructures its operations, three people involved in the preliminary discussions told Reuters.

The company, a byword for innovative gadgetry in the 1970s and 80s, has been battered by weak demand for its TVs in a fiercely competitive market. The TV business has racked up huge losses; Sony's market value has slumped to below $10 billion and ratings agency Fitch last week downgraded the company's debt to "junk" status - a move likely to push up borrowing costs and make asset sales more attractive.

CEO Kazuo Hirai has pledged to rebuild Sony around gaming, digital imaging and mobile devices, while nurturing new businesses such as medical devices. He is axing 10,000 jobs, closing facilities and selling assets. Any disposals would be part of a broader "garage sale" by Japan's leading electronics groups that are hurting in weak markets and tight financing.

Potential buyers for Sony Energy Devices Corp - founded in 1975 as Sony-Eveready, a joint venture with Union Carbide Corp - could include Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry and BYD Co Ltd , a Chinese carmaker backed by billionaire investor Warren Buffett, said one of the sources. Hon Hai is also in negotiations to become rival TV maker Sharp Corp's biggest shareholder.

FOREIGN INTEREST Despite a strong yen, interest is likely to come mainly from potential foreign buyers, said the sources, who did not want to be named as the talks are private.

Selling the business overseas may not go down well with a Japanese government that in the past has kept technology at home by promoting alliances between local producers. Panasonic Corp , NEC Corp and HitachiBSE Ltd also make lithium-ion batteries, though the firms' fabrication technology differs.

Sony declined to comment on the possible sale of the business, which makes lithium-ion batteries used in smartphones, tablets and PCs. "At our corporate strategy announcement in April, (Hirai) said we would explore possible alliances in E-vehicle batteries and battery storage," said spokesman George Boyd.

As with TVs, Sony has struggled to compete against South Korean rivals in a battery business that is worth $18 billion a year. The small cells that power mobile devices now account for around 60 percent of the market, ahead of those used in cars and electrical tools, according to research company IHS iSuppli.

While lithium-ion battery demand has steadily expanded with the boom in mobile consumer electronics, severe price competition has resulted in razor thin margins that favour large-scale manufacturers with weak local currencies.

"The battery business is a prime example of the company's loss-making and unwanted assets. It doesn't make sense for them to keep it," said one of the banking sources.

FALLING MARKET SHARE As Hirai doubles down on Sony's strength in consumer electronics, the company has sold a chemicals company, with 2,900 workers, and may also let go its U.S. headquarters building in New York go. At the same time, it has spent close to $2 billion on a U.S. game clouding company and a stake in medical equipment maker Olympus Corp.

Sony produced 74 million lithium-ion battery cells in July-September - almost 40 percent fewer than in the first quarter of 2008, when its output topped Samsung SDI Co Ltd's 110 million and LG Chem Ltd's 54 million, according to Techno System Research in Tokyo. Sony's market share is now 7 percent, dwarfed by Samsung SDI's 27 percent, Panasonic's 21 percent and LG Chem's 17 percent.

Sony's battery unit, which also makes button batteries for watches and smaller appliances and optical devices, has three factories in Japan and two overseas assembly plants in China and Singapore. It has yet to enter the more lucrative business for automotive batteries.

In its most recent filing, Sony valued the battery unit's fixed assets, including production sites and machinery, at 52 billion yen ($633 million). Under Sony's accounting rules, asset sales are typically booked as operating profit.

The cost to protect $10 million of Sony debt debt against default for five years has edged higher this week to almost $400,000. The CDS spreads had tumbled earlier this month - from above 480 basis points - after Sony said it would raise 150 billion yen ($1.9 billion) through a sale of convertible bonds.

noobie

Banned
Vendor focus: Sony – where did it all go wrong?
In the eighties and nineties, if you wanted the best consumer electronics the high street could offer, the chances are you’d buy a Sony product. Its televisions, video recorders and Walkman music players were trailblazing and cool. Sony was a prestige brand. It was the Apple of its day.

It dominated the TV market for decades, created the personal audio market with the Walkman in 1979 (which eventually sold over 220 million units worldwide) and then achieved another industry breakthrough in October 1982 with the release of the world’s first Compact Disc (CD) player. It beat off Nintendo and Sega in the games market with its PlayStation console in the 1990s, building on this success with the introduction of the PS2 – which is the best-selling console of all time, with about 153.6 million systems sold worldwide.

In 1961, Sony had 3,703 employees and a net income of ¥720m (£5.5m). By 1991, it had 19,811 employees and a net income of £924m. It now has more than 162,000 staff but reported a net loss of £202m in the April-to-June quarter this year.

So why has Sony stumbled from leader to follower?
Nature has played a significant role in its decline. The Japanese earthquake and tsunami of 2011 hit Sony hard, with a Blu-ray disc factory and a research and development lab damaged by flooding, and six other factories thrown into chaos by power outages. The devastating floods in Thailand later that same year also caused major disruption to its operations.

However, Jordan Selburn, analyst at research firm IHS iSuppli, believes commoditisation in China is largely to blame for Sony’s woes, and those of fellow Japanese strugglers Sharp and Panasonic.

“It is just a tidal wave that you can’t hold back. There is almost nothing Sony could have done to have position themselves better in today’s consumer market,” Selburn says.

But while all big firms make mistakes, Sony has made more than most, including many that were eminently avoidable.

This self-defeating stubborn streak also caused Sony to cling to its failing MiniDisc players until 2011, a full 10 years after MP3 players had effectively consigned the technology to the dustbin of consumer electronics history.

Perhaps Sony’s greatest mistake was allowing Apple’s iPod and iTunes service to dominate the market that the Japanese titan created. The company’s attempt to hit back with the Sony Connect music store failed miserably.

This failure was partly down to a turf war within Sony, according to Interscope Records chairman Jimmy Iovine.

“How Sony missed this is completely mind-boggling to me, a historic fuck up. Steve [Jobs] would fire people if the divisions didn’t work together, but Sony’s divisions were at war with one another,” Iovine told Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson.

One employee complains that Sony is a very hierarchical organisation that has not adapted to recent changes in the market.

“If you are non-Japanese, you always come second to them – and if you are a woman, you come last. Do not just say that you want to change how the company is working, actually do something. You need to adapt to how the market place is today or you will not survive in the long run,” the employee says.

“Sony is in an enviable position; it has arguably the widest range of connected consumer electronics devices, an established brand and an extensive range of content services,” he says.

But while Sony can offer excellent cameras and laptops to go along with its sexy HDTVs and sleek smartphones, these products are invariably let down by a marketing operation that is put to shame by rivals like Apple

TechMarketView analyst Richard Holway believes the only way that Sony can revive its fortunes is by coming up with more “special sauce”.

“They can only do it by inventing a whole new genre. The TV is overdue a reinvention. Smart TVs are rubbish. There is a whole new market in connecting the ‘Internet of everything’ – really effective control centres for everything in your home controlled via your smartphone,” he says.

Sony’s recent attempts to, in Holway’s words, “reinvent the TV” have met with little success. Alongside Logitech, Intel and Google, Sony was the first manufacturer to launch a smart TV running on Google’s operating system. But this was a flop, prompting Logitech to quit the programme stating that the platform was “not ready”.

Sony has persisted with the alliance, once again showing its stubbornness but perhaps more worryingly revealing an over-dependence on Google.

Despite all its problems, Selburn believes that Sony can be more optimistic than the likes of Panasonic.

“I don’t see Sony as the Titanic. I think it has struggled, and is still at the mercy of forces beyond its control. I don’t know if any management changes will fix this but I don’t see it as a sinking ship,” he says.

Oersted

Watching trough my brookers journals. Two things are advised regarding Sony´s stock:

a) avoid it

b) bet on falling

And the U.S was also given a junk rating last year or was it this year lol. give me a break with these threads. Only a few in here even understand these things.

Congrats, you are not one of them.

sony is not worth buying right now IMHO

ntdoy on the other hand is totally worth it ... 13 billion in cash + 5 billion in equity from their ownership in pokemon and other developers.. = 18 billion

throw in mario + zelda + donkey kong + hard assets like buildings = easy another 3-5 billion

that makes it 21-23 billion...

zero long term debt

stock trades at 18 billion mktcap ... you could stop the company's operations today entirely and the company would liquidate for a higher price than what the valuation is

if the yen depreciates vs. the dollar - nintendo's profitability will jump by hundreds of millions of dollars - their entire loss was almost entirely attributed to depreciation of their dollar holdings

i am also long on capcom, namco bandai, and square enix... absolutely bargains for the IP you get for <4 billion dollars

noobie

Banned
sony is not worth buying right now IMHO

ntdoy on the other hand is totally worth it ... 13 billion in cash + 5 billion in equity from their ownership in pokemon and other developers.. = 18 billion

throw in mario + zelda + donkey kong + hard assets like buildings = easy another 3-5 billion

that makes it 21-23 billion...

zero long term debt

stock trades at 18 billion mktcap ... you could stop the company's operations today entirely and the company would liquidate for a higher price than what the valuation is

if the yen depreciates vs. the dollar - nintendo's profitability will jump by hundreds of millions of dollars - their entire loss was almost entirely attributed to depreciation of their dollar holdings

i am also long on capcom, namco bandai, and square enix... absolutely bargains for the IP you get for <4 billion dollars

Some investors are advising otherwise

The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Advanced Micro Devices, Intel, NVIDIA, Sony and Microsoft

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NYSE:AMD) announced that it is supplying custom AMD Radeon HD GPUs to Nintendo's newly-launched Wii U home consoles. This custom graphic processing unit (GPU) will enable Wii U to support high-definition (HD) video for games.
The Wii U is Nintendo's first offering with HD graphics. Moreover, this is the first console upgrade by Nintendo in six years since the release of Wii. Gamers appear enthusiastic about the new console, as evident from the fact that Wii U is already sold out in many U.S. stores. Research firm IHS is also optimistic, expecting Nintendo to sell 3.5 million Wii Us in the U.S. this year. Obviously, the success of the Wii U will benefit AMD, which may compensate for its recent poor showing versus Intel (Nasdaq:INTC). AMD and NVIDIA (NVDA) are the main contenders for discrete graphics sockets, so this may be considered a key win for AMD.

Nintendo launched the AMD-powered gaming consoles just before the holiday season. This makes sense, as the holiday season is usually the time when demand goes up. Sony Corp.'s (NYSE:SNE) PlayStation leads the global console market with 38.8% market share. It is followed by Microsoft's (Nasdaq:MSFT) Xbox 360 with 34.9% market share and Nintendo with 26.3% share.

The gaming hardware market is currently reeling under competitive pressure from emerging social network sites and competing hardware platforms such as smartphones and tablets. Gamers are switching to these platforms or devices as they also provide free games. Gaming apps are also providing various fun-filled and thrilling games, which are successfully enticing gamers.

A study conducted by DFC Intelligence suggests that the global gaming market is expected to increase from $67.0 billion in 2012 to $82.0 billion in 2017. Further, IDC is expecting that there will be 257 million active consoles worldwide by 2015. These estimates suggest that there are opportunities for gaming companies to increase their stakes.

AMD's revenues in the third quarter came in at $1.27 billion, down 10.2% sequentially and 24.9% year over year, more or less in line with its revised guidance of a 10% sequential decline (at the mid-point). Revenues were also in line with consensus expectations of $1.28 billion. The Graphics business generated 27% of its sales and was down 6.8% sequentially and 15.1% from the year-ago quarter.

AMD's shares currently carry a Zacks #5 Rank, implying a Strong Sell rating. Nintendo and Sony carry a Zacks #2 Rank, implying a Buy rating in the short term. Microsoft carries a Zacks #3 Rank, implying a short-term Hold rating.

Nintendo doesn't need a shitty plateformer team who couldn't make a single decent plateformer in 4 attempts.

Yes, I find the LBP games that bad.

They could put the LBP team on the next Mario Galaxy title. They're already used to making platformers with floaty control schemes.

Some investors are advising otherwise

AMD's shares currently carry a Zacks #5 Rank, implying a Strong Sell rating. Nintendo and Sony carry a Zacks #2 Rank, implying a Buy rating in the short term. Microsoft carries a Zacks #3 Rank, implying a short-term Hold rating.

That's why I said IMHO :)

I've dissected SNE's financial statements and came away pretty unhappy... they have too much exposure on their borrowings and many of their core businesses are struggling and losing marketshare... this isn't something a hit game or two is going to fix... they are losing market share in commodity markets which is really dangerous because it requires billions in capex to recover...

NTDOY is a much safer bet right now based on the fundamentals

Nintendo's entire core business, Mario, Zelda, and their IP is trading for FREE after you subtract the value of their portions of Pokemon Company+Seattle Mariners+hard assets and their cash pile (13 billion)... they have ZERO debt

You can't get a better deal than that in the gaming space right now... the only company that even comes close is namco bandai IMHO on fundamentals...

with all that cash sitting idle and being unproductively utilized... (if possible) i'd buy up capcom, namco bandai, and square enix for <4 billion total even after paying acquisition premiums... that would leave Nintendo with a near strangle-hold of just about every major japanese IP... and more than 9 billion in the bank...

stilgar

I am not an analyst by any definition.
But i feel that with a weak Wii U hardware launch.. Nintendo has reduced its chances of reaching even Wii numbers with Wii U. So on console space they are going to go down.

How the hell are you able to draw such conclusions. It's amazing.

Oersted

I am not an analyst by any definition.
But i feel that with a weak Wii U hardware launch.. Nintendo has reduced its chances of reaching even Wii numbers with Wii U.

But with Sony being so low, PS Vita at its lowest but having a lot of potential, Their Mobile division improving, their cameras improving and good start on windows 8 with their tablets. I feel they have lot more room to really improve bt they need right strategy and marketing.

So its a risk but they have the ingredients ro really turn around things. Can they do it is the question. They have been doing it in the past.

3204840swsw.gif

DCharlie

Banned
GAF Finance thread should have it's own forum where those qualified to talk about the subject are able to post and no one else.

I'm sure both posters will have a great time.

Good news on the battery division sale. It's a non-core asset which doesn't make money. I bet they can get the Japanese government to overpay for it as well if they threaten to sell to a Chinese company.

RyL

Banned
Vendor focus: Sony – where did it all go wrong?

“If you are non-Japanese, you always come second to them – and if you are a woman, you come last.

The sheer arrogance and mind-boggling stupidity makes it hard to feel any sympathy with Japanese companies. They're completely out of touch with everything, especially in terms of western trends. I only feel sorry for all the employees.

Here another example,

Nintendo doesn't need a shitty plateformer team who couldn't make a single decent plateformer in 4 attempts.

Yes, I find the LBP games that bad.

that's cute, because media molecule pretty much only made lbp 1 and 2, with tearaway next year on the vita and something else for the ps4. totally 4 games.

Fularu

Banned
that's cute, because media molecule pretty much only made lbp 1 and 2, with tearaway next year on the vita and something else for the ps4. totally 4 games.
They still sucked? And I thought MM was "overseeing" both psp and vita versions?

@Beacon I don't think MM will ever do anything approaching even a tenth of Galaxy 2's brilliance :p

They still sucked? And I thought MM was "overseeing" both psp and vita versions?

@Beacon I don't think MM will ever do anything approaching even a tenth of Galaxy 2's brilliance :p

what does overseeing have to do with developing? different things, get your facts straight.

Really they need to quit making all the BS electronics that don't sell. Also their tvs are way over priced compared to the competitors.......they really need to get a new executive comittee in general.

Top Bottom