• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Specs Hangover - Brad Sams

I think one of the things that would help with Lockhart is that it would potentially lower the cost of the SOC due to binning.

Right now both MS and Sony only sell their X1X/PS4P chips in one device so if your yields are poor, that's it. Throw away the chips that didn't make it.

With an approach like Lockhart/Anaconda they could get more useable chips overall and lower the average per chip cost. I think they could also use some of the chips on the cloud infrastructure side as well, especially if they go with a chiplet approach (for example they order 100M+ Ryzen chiplets up front to be used in Xbox and Azure servers). I think MS will try to use the economies of scale to lower their overall cost so that they can bring the highest end device they can.

Otherwise, the only way they can deliver a more powerful device is if they eat the cost since both companies are limited by the same manufacturing costs.

Yeah that is a possibility. Doing that they might even be able to use the full CU count on the Anaconda without having to disable any. That would be one way of getting more performance out of the high end chip.

Drewpee

Banned
Wow its really called sony specs hang over, I thought the OP was just trolling. I stand by what I said, MS is shook. They are sending out controlled leaks now. Making absurd claims like the next halo has a 500 million dollar budget. Just take a step back and think how insane that is.

Considering this is the same company that paid 2.5 billion for minecraft, it is not a crazy idea. Microsoft considers Halo their staple franchise and I am sure want to get the next generation started off with a statement.

I don't think it will take $500 million to make though, unless they consider marketing and everything else in that budget.

Evilms

Banned
At Microsoft since 2013 they keep telling us
94775-full.png

As long as I haven't seen it with my own eyes for me, it's still wind.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Considering this is the same company that paid 2.5 billion for minecraft, it is not a crazy idea. Microsoft considers Halo their staple franchise and I am sure want to get the next generation started off with a statement.

I don't think it will take $500 million to make though, unless they consider marketing and everything else in that budget.

I think it will have a large budget but i feel like MS is at the point where theyre throwing big numbers around to to impress people. Just like:

-most powerful console next gen, how can they make that claim yet? How do they know sonys plans or specs?
-set to dominate next gen despite being in the weakest position theyve been since first entering the gaming industry
-streaming is the immediate future despite no one really clamoring for it and having actual competition on that front from sony and google
-New first party studios despite most them (barring playground games) be B-C tier at best and currently making multiplatform games
-And now its "unlimited budgets" for first party. Xbox does not have an unlimited budget and are under performing in some key areas even right now. Brad sams himself said gamepass isnt picking up steam like MS had hoped, you wouldnt know that from the true believers and paid for astroturfers posting on forums though.

Do you see what i mean? Xbox can only look successful in a vacuum. All the next gen paid for articles only talk about them in the most hyperbolic, disconnected from reality, type of way. One article about sonys next gen plans and the how house of cards crumbles.

Last edited:
At Microsoft since 2013 they keep telling us
94775-full.png

As long as I haven't seen it with my own eyes for me, it's still wind.
Microsoft won’t have any problems with putting out good hardware if the XB1 S and XB1 X are anything to go by. Their main issue is their 1st party software.

Evilms

Banned
Microsoft won’t have any problems with putting out good hardware if the XB1 S and XB1 X are anything to go by. Their main issue is their 1st party software.
Of course the X is a very good machine, but the S is not at all. And it's not only hardware and power that must also be demonstrated by the games, because Sony has no worries about that.

juliotendo

None of this matters. Here’s some real talk.

Playstation’s Install base and league of fans worldwide dwarfs that of XBOX and always will.

Outside of North America, XBOX doesn’t attract the mindshare and committed fans PlayStation has had since the 1990s.

The next Xbox can be a beast and have everything going for it, but Microsoft is going to have a tremendous uphill battle trying to gain mindshare and marketshare.

I like Xbox. I like Halo. I like Gears. But let’s not be ignorant to the fact that worldwide — PlayStation is the premier platform of choice for console gaming.

Sony

10TF Navi, Zen 2, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM - $399, released spring / summer 2020

Microsoft

4.5TF Navi, Zen 2, 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM - $299, released holiday 2020

14TF Navi, Zen 2, 1TB SSD, 24GB RAM - $499, released holiday 2020

Nintendo

Welp

Last edited:
Top Bottom