• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to continue building up Worldwide Studios through investments and acquisitions

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Last edited:

splattered

Sorry just jumped on the forum didn't see the thread about PC games, nevermind this post :)

Last edited:

Relativ9

Arkane?

They have shooter and RPG cred, two arrows that are missing in Sony's quiver...and they likely wouldn't be all that expensive.

Keihart

They should acquire Bluepoint Games (amazing remakes and already capable of making a new IP) and Sumo Digital (the best kart racer studio outside of Nintendo and also a super versatile developer as they can tackle many different genres with success similarly to Insomniac).
I would be surprised if this doesn't happen at some point, bluepoint and Sumo kinda got big picking up WWS Ip's and they've worked together a lot.

Gloggins

So where are these acquisition? Insomniac was a year ago. The same standard applies to Sony as it does Microsoft - give us fucking results not talk.

Gloggins

Sony spent 229M$ to buy Insomniac last summer and this summer spent 250M$ on buying a 1.4% of Epic Games.
Yeah I know about Epic Games. Just thought we would have heard more by now in terms of acquisitions. They need to be proactive not reactive to stay ahead.

Bryank75

Banned
I also believe that since Warner Bros Studios and many others like Bioware are moving towards GAAS and away from story driven games, PlayStations studios will become more and more important.....

So to snap up studios like Remedy, as Heart_Attack Heart_Attack mentioned and the other few stand outs is important to completely corner that market.

Would be great for Remedy to do another Max Payne if Sony could facilitate a deal with TT.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Ember Labs would be a great addition, although imo Sony needs to acquire /assemble more Japanese studios.

Why?
At least the JRPG studios in Japan are already basically first-party studios anyway and will never release any games on any other platform (since there is just no real market for JRPGs outside of playstation).

Why buy them? They already are dedicated to playstation only titles.

AmuroChan

Sony is lacking in FPS and JRPG in their portfolio. I've suggested 4A Games in the past, but they just got acquired by Embracer. As for JRPG, I would love for them to acquire Nihon Falcom so that their games can get a bigger budget. A AAA Ys or Legend of Heroes game would be awesome.

Why?
At least the JRPG studios in Japan are already basically first-party studios anyway and will never release any games on any other platform (since there is just no real market for JRPGs outside of playstation).

Why buy them? They already are dedicated to playstation only titles.

Why not? Most of them also make Switch games as well. We need more big budget Japanese games on the PlayStation.

Yeah... I think that one has legs. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Gives them studios to put games everywhere. And more studios.
Looks like they are trying to replicate their movie business but in gaming,
That will be costly as I stated already. It will only make sense if they try to secure content in preparation of big competition in the future that could arise from cloud and digital platforms.

Yeah, should be somewhere between 3 and 4 billion. Sony have loads of cash now though, so it's pretty cheap for all the IP's and studios they'd get....

Way better value than WB Studios.
I read somewhere that Sony has 1.2 billions left ftom 17 billion investment plan that started some years ago.
Maybe with the rise of new digital competition such as google and amazon, sony will generously invest in big game developers to secure gold tier content.

Bryank75

Banned
I read somewhere that Sony has 1.2 billions left ftom 17 billion investment plan that started some years ago.
Maybe with the rise of new digital competition such as google and amazon, sony will generously invest in big game developers to secure gold tier content.
They have 33 Billion in cash and equivalents...

If I was in their position, I would pay 2 Billion upfront and the rest in debt financing... then pay off the loan over the next 5 years.

Top Bottom