• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to continue building up Worldwide Studios through investments and acquisitions

Dabaus

Banned
I do think Sony should go after a large Japanese publisher. Capcom or square only because it would be a defensive measure against Tencent and other mega corporations ever encroaching presence in the gaming industry. Sqaure enix makes the most sense because they have a long, successful history together and sqaure has branches in more than just japan. Namely crystal dynamics.

Another company I think they should go for would be Koi tecmo because they’d probably be relatively inexpensive and have a few strong Ip like dynasty warriors, ninja gaiden, nioh, and dead or alive, among others.

Vawn

Banned
They should aquire EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Microsoft, FromSoft, Apple, Hudson Soft, Konami, Atari, McDonald's, Platinum and SquareEnix.

INC

They need some decent VR devs. If they've got a new headset coming out, might as well have some more games, psvr had some great titles, but please don't make res games vr mode exclusive again

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They should aquire EA, Ubisoft, Activision,
BronzeVainHornbill-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Shubh_C63

Scary to think what more can they provide.
At this point any AAA project coming out of first party studios have been a must play title of the Gen.

UnNamed

Banned
Sony: we continue with investments and acquisitions.
Also Sony: we dismantled Driveclub developer.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony: we continue to invest and acquisition.
Also Sony: we dismantled Driveclub developer.
I'm a Motorstorm, Wipeout and Driveclub fan, but I understand Sony runs a business and needs to release complete, working games that are profitable and if possible not delayed too much.

They should aquire EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, Microsoft, FromSoft, Apple, Hudson Soft, Konami, Atari, McDonald's, Platinum and SquareEnix.
It won't happen but if I had money and they wanted to sell I'd buy Capcom, Platinum, KojiPro, Quantic Dream and FromSoft for their games and dev teams, and Sega and Konami for their classic IPs.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sony rarely acquires game devs

They seem to be more interested in acquiring innovative tech, patents etc.

More likely they are going after innovators in cloud, raytracing, VR etc. Even their investment in Epic was more about the innovation in UE5 than their success with Fortnite

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony rarely acquires game devs

They seem to be more interested in acquiring innovative tech, patents etc.

More likely they are going after innovators in cloud, raytracing, VR etc. Even their investment in Epic was more about the innovation in UE5 than their success with Fortnite

Still do not get what they got with a 4% investment or less in Epic got Sony. Maybe a tiny bit closer collaboration, early look at techs, and massively reduced fees for developers (maybe UE5 comes at a great discount or free for PS5 developers? That would be nice).

Yoboman

Still do not get what they got with a 4% investment or less in Epic got Sony. Maybe a tiny bit closer collaboration, early look at techs, and massively reduced fees for developers (maybe UE5 comes at a great discount or free for PS5 developers? That would be nice).
That plus they probably see their return on investment growing. Epic is only going to get bigger and more valuable

Top Bottom