• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to sell PlayStation Vita for a loss, Profitable within 3yrs

Strike

Hawk269 said:
Well companies usually sell at a lost and make it up via software sales, software royalties. But that only works if the thing sells like a bat out of hell. Yes, the blow money on selling it at a lost, but when they sell a ton of units they make it up in other areas.

But as amazing as the price is, a handheld for $250? The 3DS is selling like shit becuase of the price point and they had a pretty good launch lineup.
Are we talking about the same launch lineup here?

Great for consumers, but a questionable move by Sony. On the one hand, they are out of their fucking minds to continue to lose money on everything, but on the other that price is super aggressive.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Kusagari said:
Dumb move by Sony. They better hope this thing turns into the success they're thinking.

This strategy is probably the determining factor for the success of the PSV imo, they need to be aggressive with the pricing, especially with the added competition from Apple these days.

Orayn

I really liked a lot of what they showed for the Vita, but wow. They are really sticking their neck out for this one. I hope it pays off.

Fou-Lu

Master Milk said:
Sony's not going to die just because they lose money making video game hardware. This isn't their main business.

Okay, so them dying is an overstatement, but they can't keep at this forever, do you know how much PS3 lost Sony? If Vita loses them money too, and they continue to do this with PS4.... Just wow..

Loudninja

CoffeeJanitor said:
Great for consumers, and a great move by Sony. On the one hand, they are out of their fucking minds to continue to lose money on everything, but on the other that price is super aggressive.
Thats business.

KingDizzi

Banned
To be fair though has Sony not sold all their consoles at a loss? Besides the PS3 it worked out well for them.

All Apple, MS and Nintendo fanboys need to buy this day one. That's one way to finish Sony.

KaYotiX

Banned
I expect $50 games and over priced storage since they got rid of the internal storage.Im still on board if they dont charge some crazy ass amount of $$ for storage

Kusagari

lowrider007 said:
This strategy is probably the determining factor for the success of the PSV imo, they need to be aggressive with the pricing, especially with the added competition from Apple these days.

I'm just not sure if $250 is going to fly for a handheld; even one with superior hardware and functionality.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Sony's going to need a couple of 10 million sellers to offset that, 3 years is a long time.

we don't know how much they're losing per unit right? it could be small loss that can be offset by just 1 game sales and storage card.

we've heard again and again that this time, they have a target price in mind before designing Vita. I can't believe they didn't take profitability in mind during their design process

Three years? That's twelve quarters with no room for a price drop if sales tank. This is good for the consumer, but as time goes on, I find myself asking "Just who in the hell is running this company??"

linko9

I do not see this turning out well... I just don't think it's going to sell better than PSP, and that's not good enough.

GQman2121

Banned
g8PQJ.png

Just get out of my dreams and into my hands!!!

Mashing

I'm glad I'm not a stockholder... that'd be a hard sell to me. I'm surprised they do this honestly. The PSN hack cost them quite a bit of money.

Seventh

I wonder how much of a loss they're taking at launch. Three years to make a profit seems... unwise. That seems like a fairly long time, and you never know what may happen that will delay any potential profits. I'm surprised they're willing to lose money on it for so long after what happened with the PS3.

And just to clarify, does anyone know if Sony is only talking about the hardware? Or are they including all the games and accessories in their estimate when talking about making a profit? I assume it's the former, but I'm not sure.

KingDizzi said:
To be fair though has Sony not sold all their consoles at a loss? Besides the PS3 it worked out well for them.

All Apple, MS and Nintendo fanboys need to buy this day one. That's one way to finish Sony.
Okah, I laughed.

And then I pondered if what you said made any sense.

Striek

Sklorenz said:
Don't fail out of college because you're too busy playing video games, kids.
Sorry my bad, I now wish they sell it for $400 so I could be secure in the knowledge I'm paying more to help a massive corporation. I'm so glad the 3DS was/is absurdly priced, so I could get a warm fuzzy feeling helping out Nintendo.

Way too many people think that since they read financial reports that they have a full grasp of how a company can and can't operate. Brian Crecente mentioned that he talked to Sony before E3 and they told him that they set a price for the Vita and then built it to that price. So this has been their plan for years.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I knew it. I have no idea how Sony can afford to sell the Vita at a loss after the PSN debacle.

JWong

Banned
happyfunball said:
The anti-Nintendo strategy, I hope it works for them. Overpaying for old tech with some lipstick needs to stop.
Exactly. It worked for them with PS2.

The Wii isn't even going to reach the 100 million mark now that they're going to completely abandon it.

Juan29.zapata said:
You're saying that Sony will have the balls to give Nintendo a 2 year headstart in the next-gen sales 'race'?

Will Apple, Nintendo or Microsoft be around in 3 years?
Sony will launch with microsoft, nintendo is knot now. When Sony and microsoft launch next they will be as powerful compared to what ps3/360 is to the wok now.

perfectchaos007 said:
So if piracy is as bad on this machine as it was on the PSP, Sony is screwed. I hope it all works out the way they plan...

That's a really good point.

Not only are they gambling that the device is a sales success, they're gambling that it won't be hacked by pirates.

Considering they just made themselves public enemy number one with many of the hackers on the planet, its a hell of a risk.

SolidSnakex said:
Way too many people think that since they read financial reports that they have a full grasp of how a company can and can't operate. Brian Crecente mentioned that he talked to Sony before E3 and they told him that they set a price for the Vita and then built it to that price. So this has been their plan for years.

whaaat you're telling me i'm not qualified to run a billion dollar company if I read a pdf every couple of months??

Top Bottom