• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to slash 10,000 (6%) of workforce by year's end

They may sell at a slight loss; I don't think it's possible to have a significant leap without taking a loss. Going by their financial condition, $50 to $100 loss per PS4 seems plausible, but not more than that. The profits from PS3 and software sales will help them for a few years, until the PS4 starts bringing in significant profits. But yes, they cannot afford to take risks with unproven tech again like they did with the PS3 (Blu Ray, Cell).

Even selling at a slight loss will affect overall profitability which will not allow them to take the tax credits back into the balance sheet. The impetus for Sony is now to be a profitable company, nit the market leader.

Oddly enough they have projected a profit of just over $2bn for the current year but I guess we will find out more on Thursday.

The report said that the tax credit losses were specifically in the US so it is possible that they expect the EU and Japan units to make a profit but still lose money in the US.
Tax credit losses are for the year that just ended April 1, projected operating profit is for next FY. At this point I take any projections coming out of Sony with a giant grain of salt until they stop missing them by so much.

Edit-Sony's filing
Projecting Euro/JPY to be 105 for the FY. Important number to keep an eye on, it's a little over 106 now, as long as it stays at 105 or better they shouldn't have any worries.

Tax credit losses are for the year that just ended April 1, projected operating profit is for next FY. At this point I take any projections coming out of Sony with a giant grain of salt until they stop missing them by so much.

Edit-Sony's filing
Projecting Euro/JPY to be 105 for the FY. Important number to keep an eye on, it's a little over 106 now, as long as it stays at 105 or better they shouldn't have any worries.

The USD/JPY is projected at 80 for the year just started, looking at the futures it looks like the dollar will strengthen further this year, possibly up to 87-89 yen which could provide them with a "surprise" boost to the bottom line.

6 BILLION :O

Thats quite the hit. Real bad time for the big Japanese companies like Sony, Panasonic, etc.

Things where rough before the disaster but that just messed things up completely when things where starting to look up.

Hope this doesnt effect the gaming division to much. Trim some of the dead weight like they did with Zipper.
Stop paying Insomniac, Maybe sort out there UK studios a bit.
Evolution better hope there next game does well.

Cant wait for Kotaku to get wind of this and blame it all on the Vita.

Top Bottom