• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"

skynidas

Banned
Those prices you're all mentioning are insane. I won't buy it if it goes over 200 €.

YRDDs28.gif

"Major" loss, meaning something far less than about $200 per console. Will they eat $50? I wonder how much it'll be. I'm guessing around $399.99. I hope that at least.

We're in a time when to people sounds normal buying cellular phones at 700 dollars/euro, so a 500ish price isn't anymore blowing as the infamous 599.

So, $299 seems out of the question. Even $399 seems too high for the most basic SKU. I agree with others; somewhere around $499 (or higher for deluxe sets).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's no way it's going to be $499 if MS has a $299 subsidized model available. Anything over $399 is suicide.

Compared to their massive upfront losses with PS3, and considering the history of launches being a loser for a while, it's really not a stretch to say that they'll still be absorbing a hefty one even if not nearly as large as the previous system (which AFAIR still hasn't made any real money in 2013 for the corp so far).

Sony are in for a shock this holiday when they find out people dont want dedicated games machines as much as they used to.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree that next-gen MS and Sony platforms will have much harder time selling, especially once the holiday season launch is over. Gonna be interesting to see just how many are ready to move up with these very pricey platforms. A focus on high-production value F2P/Freemium will help get people in the door, but I wonder if many are really anxious to move on outside of the enthusiast/tech adopter crowd. I'm assuming that both new systems will debut at $399 at the low end, but will push for sales with a better $449 or $499 SKU. Demographic-wise, both systems will still rely heavily upon the crowd who is right now suffering massive under-/unemployment. With the talk of the next-'BOX starting at $299 with a two-year Live contract, they may both launch at a starting price of $449-$499 and that would kill a lot sales right there. Might be the reason MS is pushing for a more inclusive approach rather than pinning too much in the early going on gamers only.

Scrawnton

They will sell out whatever they release in 2013. If you are correct then they wouldn't discover that before springtime.

And no, seriously doubt you are right. The handheld market bombing was seen by all but the dedicated console market will still be healthy for many years.

The handheld market didnt bomb. The vita bombed.

daxgame

uh-oh. I'm not sure if this is good or bad news. I've already made my mind on PS4 as my next gen system to put near my WiiU but I still have to see the price to understand if I can bite at launch...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I believe Sony will have a subsidized price as well.

Fair enough.

Nothing they've said about the importance of price and affordability indicates they're as stupid as most of you seem to think they are. These are the $400 Vita predictions all over again.

kitsuneyo

I'm still bit weirded out that the PS4 has component out when even the Wii-U has HDMI only. Seems like it would be an opportunity to save by removing it.
I mean, the PS4 doesn't play music cd's because they don't want to pay the license.

The Wii U can do component out. I've used it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're talking about this right now on the foreign investor call.

They don't talk about unit margin, but say the big difference is in the investment in semiconductor development, fabrication and production of the console itself. In the first two things he categorised that as having run into the billions (of dollars) for PS3, hundreds of millions on Cell design, and the same again, I guess, on their own fabrication infrastructure for it and the other PS3 chips.

Taker666

$399 seems likely for the basic unit.

It was the early inclusion of blu-ray that inflated the PS3 price.

I can't see any new machine being over $500 (other than as a tactic to trick people into thinking a subscription model is good value)

Kimawolf

Preparing everyone by softening the eventual blow. Smart move Sony. My bet is still 500 dollars for single sku, I doubt they'll do the multi sku thing, if so I don't expect any of them to be below 449.

kitsuneyo

Sure but I'm guessing a HDMI converter was involved somewhere?

No, Wii U has Nintendo's multi-out socket on the back. I used my old Wii component cable.

Edit: Millions of people are still using SD TVs. Component and composite are a worthwhile spend.

jgmo870

Banned
Sony are in for a shock this holiday when they find out people dont want dedicated games machines as much as they used to.

They sold 16.5 million units between the PS3 and PS2 in their last fiscal year. If people don't want dedicated gaming machines as much as they used to, they have a funny way of showing it.

Recall

I think £399 is what we will see over here, either way I'm going to wait till it hits the £250-£280 mark even if that is a couple of years

They sold 16.5 million units between the PS3 and PS2 in their last fiscal year. If people don't want dedicated gaming machines as much as they used to, they have a funny way of showing it.

Those systems are much less than the launch prices and weak libraries of new ones. Both systems will be competing against their predecessors for, at least, a year when most high profile titles will see cross-generational releases, like CoD: Ghosts, and what seem to be currently-old gen exclusives, like GTA V and GT6. People are price-conscious in a recession like the one we're in now, and before people start talking about tablets/phones being expensive, most of them sold in the USA are contract-priced and, of course, offer the benefits of a consumer-focused computing platform that does popular apps and games (at free to low prices) in addition to essential phone/text service for everyday life.

Cell and BluRay were huge money pits.
"We are not planning a major loss.." doesn't necessarily mean a $499-$599 console.

I'm hoping for a $399 basic sku and a $499 premium sku.

PS4 will be losing money at $399. Sony is either going to continue to lose money on hardware early this generation or a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Those systems are much less than the launch prices and weak libraries of new ones. Both systems will be competing against their predecessors for, at least, a year when most high profile titles will see cross-generational releases, like CoD: Ghosts, and what seem to be currently-old gen exclusives, like GTA V and GT6.

ps4/xbonext dont need to sell 100 million units in first year.

there is demand to get a good base and then with pricedrops more mainstream.

jgmo870

Banned
Those systems are much less than the launch prices and weak libraries of new ones. Both systems will be competing against their predecessors for, at least, a year when most high profile titles will see cross-generational releases, like CoD: Ghosts, and exclusives still on the old gen side, like GTA V.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my retort to his statement.

Kimawolf

ps4/xbonext dont need to sell 100 million units in first year.

there is demand to get a good base and then with pricedrops more mainstream.

What constitutes a good base? 3 million in 6 months? 5 million? 10? if they price it at 499 it's going to be a loooong start for them.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nothing surprising outside the ram the PS4 just like the next xbox is very modest for a console. I see no reason why they can't launch at 399.99 for basic SKU and 449.99 for the premium SKU.

Top Bottom