• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Unlike PS3, we are not planning a major loss to be incurred with PS4 launch"

lantus

If Sony can make one hell of a premium package, and I mean one hell of a package, I don't think I would have a problem with paying $599 this time. As of now though I've been looking at spending $499 on one.

Well, the ps3 retailed here in the UK at £425 I believe. Even if they only cut the price down to £400, I'll be pretty happy. I'd obviously take it at cheaper, but I'll be fine with £400. The launch line-up alone will justify that value for me.

Biker19

Banned
This system better be priced at either $400 or $450, or they're going to be having a harder time than usual.

Those prices you're all mentioning are insane. I won't buy it if it goes over 200 €.

Have fun waiting for the next 7 or 8 years for that to happen.

jcm

Preparing everyone by softening the eventual blow. Smart move Sony. My bet is still 500 dollars for single sku, I doubt they'll do the multi sku thing, if so I don't expect any of them to be below 449.

Why would they only do a single sku? You don't think they want to increase asp and improve the margin?

$399 is my hopeful price, given the modest hardware inside and the lack of any major costly item that I can see. $449 for the premium SKU with 1TB hard drive + move controller.

After that, I expect $60 dualshock 4s and some misc extras on sale like stands, play and charge kits, etc.

ps4/xbonext dont need to sell 100 million units in first year.

there is demand to get a good base and then with pricedrops more mainstream.
I'm saying price has tons to do with the sales/shipped number he gave. I'm saying the whole reason people buy these platforms is that the software library of now is a clearly better value on the old gen side and that doesn't translate directly to next-gen. No one is expecting massive sales in the first year, but some of us are down on the prospects for next-gen and all dedicated gaming platforms, simply because of the downward trend in sales across major markets that looks much worse than any previous transition period from gen-to-gen.

That has absolutely nothing to do with my retort to his statement.
Are you saying the the demand for current gen, as given by your numbers, is easily transferrable to that of next-gen, despite the leap in price and lack of software? The major markets have clearly contracted over the last year or so (or maybe it's the last two or three), just seeing the software and hardware numbers, month after month. Sony could do much better with PS3 than PS4 for quite some time and his statement wouldn't be wrong. Divide the audience and their spending money between two platforms launching against each other worldwide and it's going to look, probably, a lot like the original XBOX/Game Cube launch.

Kimawolf

Why would they only do a single sku? You don't think they want to increase asp and improve the margin?

I think they'd go single sku because with multiple skus you run into the problem of potentially having tons of skus no one may want, especially if the "premium" sku has so many better features. And I think they learned from having 80 PS3 skus out on the market, all with different prices.

quest

Not Banned from OT
$399 is my hopeful price, given the modest hardware inside and the lack of any major costly item that I can see. $449 for the premium SKU with 1TB hard drive + move controller.

After that, I expect $60 dualshock 4s and some misc extras on sale like stands, play and charge kits, etc.

I don't see the premium having a move controller. I think it will be larger hard drive and 1 year PS+ membership at launch. Then eventually they add a pack in game to the premium SKU. I could see a media remote being included in the premium also.

$499 is terrible IMO to start at.

It won't be well received by media and consumers and they will then look even worse by having to cut price soon after release.

THE:MILKMAN

I think £399 is what we will see over here, either way I'm going to wait till it hits the £250-£280 mark even if that is a couple of years

I hope not :( I believe £350 max with an eye on £299 if they truly want to return to PS2 form.

Remember Sony managed to get the first revision of PS3 out in 6 months for £299....

jcm

I think they'd go single sku because with multiple skus you run into the problem of potentially having tons of skus no one may want, especially if the "premium" sku has so many better features. And I think they learned from having 80 PS3 skus out on the market, all with different prices.

They won't do tons. I'll bet money they do two though.

JudgeN

They said the same thing about the Vita and we ended up with $100 proprietary memory cards.

Proprietary hard drives confirmed?

Kimawolf

Nothing new. Keyword being 'Major', there will be some loss.

No crazy Cell chip and no new disc format like BD.

I'm still bit weirded out that the PS4 has component out when even the Wii-U has HDMI only [edit: apparently that's not the case, has a multiport]. Seems like it would be an opportunity to save by removing it.
I mean, the PS4 doesn't play music cd's because they don't want to pay the license.

Dat 8GB GDDR5 probably has a high cost though.

Expecting:

$399 for barebones SKU.
$499 for (barebones SKU) + Game, PSEye and one year of PS+.

I'm expecting 499 for the system, period.

But if they have 2 skus, it'll be a 50 dollar difference with one having slightly larger Harddrive and PS+ sub added to it for a year.

So 499

or 499 for base sku
549 for "premium" sku. They will do their best to avoid 599 nonsense at all costs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

But if they have 2 skus, it'll be a 50 dollar difference with one having slightly larger Harddrive and PS+ sub added to it for a year.

So 499

or 499 for base sku
549 for "premium" sku. They will do their best to avoid 599 nonsense at all costs.

Hilarious.

I would love to see them on stage at E3 talking about how they learned their lesson with the $599 debacle just to price a console at $549.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whatever the PS4 launches at, I just hope the gap between the US and Aussie price/s is no more than $100. I don't want to see another PS3 situation.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This thing will not be cheap

Why? Outside the ram there is nothing that is high end this time around. The Jaguar while great for its size and TDP is still a low end laptop and tablet CPU. The GPU by the time it launches will be close to a main stream computer GPU. It is very modest and I don't see any reason why it can't be 399.99 with a small loss. Once the SOC yields get good break even or even a small profit at that price range. The R&D cost are also much lower this time around since the CPU is off the shelf. And the GPU is just a tweaked computer GPU.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They said the same thing about the Vita and we ended up with $100 proprietary memory cards.

Proprietary hard drives confirmed?

It's quite possible, the newest PS3 model even introduces a (small) proprietary aspect to HDD upgrades. That + Vita's model might give an idea of where their head is at around peripheral storage.

That said, it would be different from the Vita situation in so far as that a hard drive will be included. So a skew to proprietary hard drives wouldn't realise a huge amount of short term margin...but only later when people want to upgrade.

Like others here, I'm hopeful this means that the box they've produced they've made at a good price, rather than charging a high price for it in order to limit losses.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
A $500 launch price without BC, no way. They'd have to have the most amazing launch lineup of games and a steady stream thereafter without the typical post-launch drought to get me to consider that price this time around.

jcm

So 499

or 499 for base sku

Two skus lets you lose more money on the base model. If their cost is $450 a unit, they can price the low end model at $400. Price the high end model at $500, give them larger harddrive and PS+, the cost is maybe $475. If you get a 2/3-1/3 split then you're in the neighborhood of an acceptable per-unit loss, and you have an attractive intro price.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If they can get to at least around £300 I would be happy.

I hope that because their aren't any really exotic parts like the CELL and no new Disc technology like Blu-Ray and that they don't have to worry about the factory side of making all these new technologies and putting them together that we will be hitting a much cheaper price in general compared to the PS3.

How much were they losing per unit with the PS3 originally? it was a few hundread dollars at $599 wasn't it, if the Vita is anything to go by they will ideally have it worked out much better now, didn't the Vita go into profit after one game and a memory card or something?

Radec

Just reveal the console and announce the price and release date already!

I'm thinking of spending like $600-$800 fot he console and games.

Darhan

Two years ago, we had the same discussion, but with Vita's price. Only the most optimistic thought a price of 250, but it was. Only four months later, those 250 were transformed into "too much", but that is another story.

Now my bet is 400. Now is the same case, most of people are betting for 500, no less. But I think it will be less.

¿The price to pay? The PC will exceed PS4 since day 1. At least in brute force. But I would bet that PS4 will stand for less years than PS3.

Sid

Two years ago, we had the same discussion, but with Vita's price. Only the most optimistic thought a price of 250, but it was. Only four months later, those 250 were transformed into "too much", but that is another story.

Now my bet is 400. Now is the same case, most of people are betting for 500, no less. But I think it will be less.

¿The price to pay? The PC will exceed PS4 since day 1. At least in brute force. But I would bet that PS4 will stand for less years than PS3.
Are you intentionally forgetting the cost of the memory cards?

If it really launches at $499, it's fucked, at least in the short term.

It'd still fare better than Wii U at launch, almost certainly, but that's not a high bar to clear; I suspect that the market's current appetite for even a $400 dedicated gaming device is not what Sony (or MS) is hoping for.

$399 seems very unlikely. $200 less than the PS3 launched at (immediately discontinued $499 SKU does not count). I can't see them launching at $200 less than PS3 without taking massive damage.

DigitalOp

Banned
$499 is terrible IMO to start at.

It won't be well received by media and consumers and they will then look even worse by having to cut price soon after release.

This. Kills at least half of the hype going in.

It they get this thing to 399, they have room to talk.

499 could be a deluxe version or they could do a sub model alternatively...

Raist

Banned
I'd be interested to see the overall R&D costs of PS3 vs PS4. There must be a quite significant difference.

I didn't realize Sony planned on taking a major loss on PS3's...I thought it was just a result of poor sales due to the insane price point it launched it. I guess you learn something new every day.

Bgamer90

Banned
Those prices you're all mentioning are insane. I won't buy it if it goes over 200 €.

Heh, I guess you'll be sticking to your current consoles until next-next gen (PS5) starts.

Anyway, anything over $400 for the cheapest model would be automatic suicide in my opinion so hopefully there will be a model that's $400 or less.

badgenome

I didn't realize Sony planned on taking a major loss on PS3's...I thought it was just a result of poor sales due to the insane price point it launched it. I guess you learn something new every day.

Of course they were planning a major loss. They were losing hundreds of dollars per unit at launch, and had it sold better than it did... well, they would have just lost that much more money.

Top Bottom