• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better. I want them to do the same with the likes of Capcom and Eidios.

I'm sick to my back teeth with the way SE treat Eidios and with the way Capcom are handled by incompetent shareholders.

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

No idea about Wipeout. Maybe you'll get something similar to Rollcage in the future though. London will do something more core oriented, but you'll be waiting.

It gives an idea to expect something more, rather than thinking SCE has announced all their big titles, which one could easily assume due to how 2014 has turned out and the fact that there are quite a few games already due in 2015 (Bloodborne, Order, UC4, Until Dawn, Ratchet, Tearaway etc.). It's not like you'll know a lot more about the title or anything if I tell you this studio is developing it. Not to mention, I also have a limited idea about some of them, so I share what I realistically can.

If I say this is some of what's coming for you in the next two years:

Bloodborne
The Order: 1886
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Sly 5
Sony Bend Project
Guerilla Hybrid project
Sony/Sega project
Sony/Capcom project

What do you learn of the titles who I've just put developers for?

It's nothing like those, they're all Sega productions (I don't even know what Miku is, first I'm hearing of it).

If I break down what I know of certain upcoming titles in terms of genres:

4 RPGs (this includes the announced Bloodborne)
3 TPS (this includes The Order and Uncharted 4)
3 Horror (this includes Until Dawn)
3 Action/Adventure (all unannounced, one will be the GOW shake-up)
3 Platformers (includes LBP3 and Tearaway)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced)
1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Brawler (unannounced - think like that old PS1 game Fighting Force)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

The Sony/Capcom and Sony/Sega projects fit into those. I would personally put Bloodborne into Action/Adventure but GAF has always referred to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as RPGs (I wouldn't really know since I never played them), so I've been following suit pretty much whenever I talk about it. Someone will also probably be begging Konami to get something off the ground, but we'll have to see about that since they're about to shit out 3 Metal Gear games in the next 6 years.

4 RPGS:
Bloodborne
SCEJ AAA rpg
Dragons Dogma 2 (Sony/Capcom project)
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (SEGA/Sony project)

This is the dream. Believe in it!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Didn't i reply to a post that suggested the best PS4 game has been a PS3 port?

You mean this game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWId6_Pemck

I don't think it looks that great. Microsoft already had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmV4CdNdx0k at launch.

I'm not saying Sony doesn't have hype behind some fall titles.

It's been four pages, but having played the Bloodborne Alpha.... this post...

tumblr_ml3l7mdQyc1rz0kf6o1_400.gif

4 RPGS:
Bloodborne
SCEJ AAA rpg

Let's sweeten the deal. SCEJ RPG is The Legend of Dragoon 2/Revival

Qvoth

Definitely missing one notable retail exclusive which will come next year from SCE.

SCE what though? J? A?
since we haven't even had any announcement, it's going to be christmas or perhaps 2016?

edit:
It's nothing like those, they're all Sega productions (I don't even know what Miku is, first I'm hearing of it).

If I break down what I know of certain upcoming titles in terms of genres:

4 RPGs (this includes the announced Bloodborne)
3 TPS (this includes The Order and Uncharted 4)
3 Horror (this includes Until Dawn)
3 Action/Adventure (all unannounced, one will be the GOW shake-up)
3 Platformers (includes LBP3 and Tearaway)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced)
1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Brawler (unannounced - think like that old PS1 game Fighting Force)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

The Sony/Capcom and Sony/Sega projects fit into those. I would personally put Bloodborne into Action/Adventure but GAF has always referred to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as RPGs (I wouldn't really know since I never played them), so I've been following suit pretty much whenever I talk about it. Someone will also probably be begging Konami to get something off the ground, but we'll have to see about that since they're about to shit out 3 Metal Gear games in the next 6 years.

TLG is one of those right? ; ;

MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better. I want them to do the same with the likes of Capcom and Eidios.

I'm sick to my back teeth with the way SE treat Eidios and with the way Capcom are handled by incompetent shareholders.

Wow. Just, wow. You say a lot of dumb shit but this really takes the cake. The only things Microsoft are handling is the briefcase of money they handed over to Square Enix and some of the marketing. That's it, it's still a Square Enix game.

4 RPGS:
Bloodborne
SCEJ AAA rpg

Hate to kill the dream but you're missing Guerrilla's RPG, Horizon.

Hindle

Banned
How does MS securing TR as a timed exclusive change how SE is handling the franchise? As far as I've seen, it is still being developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix. Nothing seems to have changed behind the scenes, especially considering the belief is that it will only be exclusive for a few months.

They're handling the marketing, which under SE was a complete embarrassment. Hopefully, they'll have a hand in development as well.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It seems more realistic than a Sonic/Shenmue project.

As far as I remember, when Verendus first talked about the Sega / Sony collab in the Sonic Lost World thread, he made it sound like a new ip, so Sonic, Shenmue, Monkey Ball and Yakuza would be ruled out.

Still I hope he answers my question regarding the platformer, I still have hopes for a new 3D collectathon, considering Microsoft hasn't let Rare make a proper Banjo sequel in 10 years of owning them.

Hindle

Banned
This thread is really making me happy. The amount of Verendus posts and information about things to come is really all I want this early on a monday morning. Really looking forward to the E3, GamesCon and TGS trio next year.

Next up Microsoft securing Devil May Cry from Capcpom? Or, Half-Life from Valve? Sly Cooper from Sony? Can you please inform us how you think Microsoft calls up publishers and explains to them how they're fucking up their IPs? I hope you aren't suggesting that Microsoft has some super programmers, game directors, etc just sitting around that go around helping less skilled studios making their games better.

It's simple really.

SE have no idea how to handle TR, as we saw last gen. MS clearly see this and think that they could do better. So MS obviously opened talks with Square for the next game, and offered there assistance.

And yes, I want them to do the same with Capcom, who also clearly have no fucking idea what to do with the likes of RE, or DMC.

Ishan

It's simple really.

SE have no idea how to handle TR, as we saw last gen. MS clearly see this and think that they could do better. So MS obviously opened talks with Square for the next game, and offered there assistance.

And yes, I want them to do the same with Capcom, who also clearly have no fucking idea what to do with the likes of RE, or DMC.

co-marketing / providing cash for exclusivity and marketting it a shitload != handling an ip better.

Give it more exposure and time in the limelight might have been a better way to express what I think youre tryin to say. I hope this is not something about the game dev itself. (You mention that ms canhelp with the dev too I guess this could help in special cases to make the x1 version perform better but thats normally just cause most 3rd party wouldlnt put a lot of effort into any particular port unless there are such exclusivity deals. I guess if you think of your post in that angle it could make sense. Otherwise if you think third parties are just sitting there and ms is some genius dev/artists/game studio/marketing super talent which just goes give us your games well stop mishandling them :S ... I dont really konw what to say.

Hindle

Banned
co-marketing / providing cash for exclusivity and marketting it a shitload != handling an ip better.

Give it more exposure and time in the limelight might have been a better way to express what I think youre tryin to say. I hope this is not something about the game dev itself. (You mention that ms canhelp with the dev too I guess this could help in special cases to make the x1 version perform better but thats normally just cause most 3rd party wouldlnt put a lot of effort into any particular port unless there are such exclusivity deals. I guess if you think of your post in that angle it could make sense. Otherwise if you think third parties are just sitting there and ms is some genius dev/artists/game studio/marketing super talent which just goes give us your games well stop mishandling them :S ... I dont really konw what to say.

I never said MS are some genius devs, I merely said that TR, and Eidios in general would be much better handled under MS, then Square. The same applies to Capcom.

It really isn't hard to see the point I was making, but it's just easier for people to mock on Gaf these days.

Hindle

Banned
For the record, when people say ridiculious posts, they get juniored or banned, I've never been banned for any of my most recent comments. Namely because none of it was riduclious.

Ishan

I never said MS are some genius devs, I merely said that TR, and Eidios in general would be much better handled under MS, then Square. The same applies to Capcom.

It really isn't hard to see the point I was trying to make, but it's just easier for people to mock on Gaf these days.

better handled how? Like Bungie and Rare? I dont think people are getting your point because if you mean studios and ips being better handled ppl dont agree with it and thats the contention. If you just mean more marketing then better handled isnt the correct way of framing it etc etc.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

It really isn't hard to see the point I was making, but it's just easier for people to mock on Gaf these days.

Why do you think Microsoft has any competence in handling IPs? Shadowrun was ruined in Microsoft's hands. Bungie broke up their relationship due to how they wanted to handle the Halo IP. I feel that any IP that Microsoft has gotten from someone else has been run into the ground. Can you give any proof of why Microsoft would handle an IP better? Has this happened ever?

Hindle

Banned
better handled how? Like Bungie and Rare? I dont think people are getting your point because if you mean studios and ips being better handled ppl dont agree with it and thats the contention. If you just mean more marketing then better handled isnt the correct way of framing it etc etc.

Some of the decisions Square have made with Eidios have been a complete disaster. TR, Hitman etc. Halo and Gears meanwhile have remained consistent under MS control, its my opinion that the likes of TR would also be more consistent, as MS would not tell the studios to do such stupid things.

For the record, when people say ridiculious posts, they get juniored or banned, I've never been banned for any of my most recent comments. Namely because none of it was riduclious.

You don't get banned for making stupid posts. In fact saying that none of your posts are ridiculous due to you not being banned yet is ridiculous in itself.

It's simple really.

In this post we insert some made up scenario and act like its reality.

In reality MS just money hatted TR as a way to counter act UC4. Its not going to work, especially since 70% of the TR fanbase won't be able to buy the game when it release in holiday 2015.

Hindle

Banned
Why do you think Microsoft has any competence in handling IPs? Shadowrun was ruined in Microsoft's hands. Bungie broke up their relationship due to how they wanted to handle the Halo IP. I feel that any IP that Microsoft has gotten from someone else has been run into the ground. Can you give any proof of why Microsoft would handle an IP better? Has this happened ever?

As I said above, the consistency with Halo and Gears. Also MS made the right decision where Bungie are concerned, Destiny was a total mess, in the way the IP was managed.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
As I said above, the consistency with Halo and Gears. Also MS made the right decision where Bungie are concerned, Destiny was a total mess, in the way the IP was managed.

Halo 4 has sold less than both Halo Reach and Halo 3. It soured people on the IP. We'll see how well Halo 5 will do. I wouldn't hold my breath. 2015Q4 or 2016Q1 is likely. I wouldn't hold it past any game this generation to be delayed. If XBO continues to fail at getting market appeal how much of a market is there to sell a new Halo to? If it released today there would be too few XBO out there for it to sell more than Halo 4.

Gears of War Judgement didn't exactly light the charts on fire. Epic didn't want to continue develop games from the IP. Microsoft did. When the original developers and talent behind the game decides to move on it's a pretty sure sign that's what's going on is only milking. Milk whatever $ the IP still has left and then put it to pasture. If that's competent management while at the same time cancelling an original IP well I guess you're right.

I never played any Halo or Gears games but I thought that the last entries in both franchise aren't as beloved as the previous ones by their fanbase.

Hindle

Banned
Halo 4 has sold less than both Halo Reach and Halo 3. It soured people on the IP. We'll see how well Halo 5 will do. I wouldn't hold my breath. 2015Q4 or 2016Q1 is likely. I wouldn't hold it past any game this generation to be delayed. If XBO continues to fail at getting market appeal how much of a market is there to sell a new Halo to? If it released today there would be too few XBO out there for it to sell more than Halo 4.

Gears of War Judgement didn't exactly light the charts on fire. Epic didn't want to continue develop games from the IP. Microsoft did. When the original developers and talent behind the game decides to move on it's a pretty sure sign that's what's going on is only milking. Milk whatever $ the IP still has left and then put it to pasture. If that's competent management while at the same time cancelling an original IP well I guess you're right.

Halo 4 and Gears Judgement were both better received then Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution. Both the latter completely pissed off the old school fanbase, and in case of TR, the game was a laughing stock due to the Protect her meme. When it comes to IP management, Ms are far, far superior to SE, and I would love to have them in control of Eidios, as a fan.

Edit. The same applies to MS and Capcom, I want and think both will be the next acquisitions for MS.

Hindle

Banned
I know I haven't responded to a lot of posters in this thread. Chances are, if you insult me, mock me, or ridicule me, then I will not be responding to you again.

Just thought I'd give an explanation, I don't want to come across as ignorant to the wider Gaf community.

In Microsoft's defense bungie went on to make its worst game by far with Activision. Also some great rare games were made on the Xbox and people just didn't buy then like they should have. Kameo and viva pinata were brilliant. Rares big success just happened to be Kinect sports.

Mugatu

I think both are great. They're different so that does go to differentiate each console a bit. Personally, the more western games on the Xbone appeal to me more but I have both.

Lemondish

They're handling the marketing, which under SE was a complete embarrassment. Hopefully, they'll have a hand in development as well.

Can you explain how it was an embarassment?

While you're at it, can you explain why you think Microsoft is the best company to handle this? We are still talking about the same company that royally fucked up the messaging on everything surrounding the Xbox One, right? The company that can't seem to get out of the pit of tech comparisons that it continuously enters into of its own will? That company?

Yeah, I can see why everyone seems to be dismissing what you have to say here.

Mugatu

I disagree with that - I don't think Shadowrun was ever such a big IP as to be ruined and it came back into popularity and praise with the next game so again ruined is the wrong word. Add to that the people liked that game and still play it.

And people move on, as is the case with Bungie. Most people, and companies, don't want to do the same thing over and over again. However, if something is successful you don't want to dump it either. Halo 4 was, IMO as well, a lesser Halo game but it was still a good game. It's hardly ruined or anything like that. I hated the new enemies but I also hated the Flood.

Microsoft didn't run them into the ground. Like I said, neither are run into the ground and they're actually good games, even if you disagree.

In Microsoft's defense bungie went on to make its worst game by far with Activision. Also some great rare games were made on the Xbox and people just didn't buy then like they should have. Kameo and viva pinata were brilliant. Rares big success just happened to be Kinect sports.

Worse game by far? How could you forget Reach?

kinoki

Halo 4 and Gears Judgement were both better received then Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution. Both the latter completely pissed off the old school fanbase, and in case of TR, the game was a laughing stock due to the Protect her meme. When it comes to IP management, Ms are far, far superior to SE, and I would love to have them in control of Eidios, as a fan.

Edit. The same applies to MS and Capcom, I want and think both will be the next acquisitions for MS.

If anything I'd say that Sony has been a far better at promoting and getting good exposure for both the Tomb Raider IP and Square Enix in general. Tomb Raider was a success in almost every aspect. They saved a dying IP. They don't need Microsoft swooping in and losing them 2 million sold copies. They need the opposite.

Capcpom has never been a good at making games that sell. With most of their talent gone it's only a question of when the company goes belly up. They seem clueless at best. It won't help their cause to limit themselves to Microsoft since their main consumers are still in Japan where Microsoft has little-to-no marketshare.

Also, Hitman has been saved. Hitman Go for iOS is an excellent game and deserves more exposure. Plus, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris looks far more interesting that The Rise of the Tomb Raider.

But this is about first party studios and I've derailed this far enough.

Lastly I'd like to thank Verendus for bringing www.listwar.com to my attention. What a handy little site.

I'm not really sure if that should be considered as a bragging point.

Anyway, the argument that MS are masters in managing IP could have some merit in regards to Forza, Gears, and Halo (especially considering they've set up a whole studio devoted to solely churning out Halo products). But in terms of anything outside those IPs, it's been pretty shitty. Just look at the state of Rare - that interview with Chris Seavor from a few years back was recently republished on Eurogamer and it really displays the dire situation that Microsoft brought upon Rare. An utter shit-hurricane.

GnawtyDog

Banned

I hate to beat a dead horse here but this is major fail.

I don't want to come across as ignorant to the wider Gaf community.

The above doesn't help. Absolutely no logic behind it and hopefully you don't go to lengths to explain it either. Better to just leave it as is.

StuBurns

Banned
MS aren't even publishing TR, the whole debate is flawed, and Phil already said why they locked it down, it was because he wanted an Uncharted rival.

GnawtyDog

Banned
What other publishers would you like Microsoft to buy, as a fan of Microsoft?

I have no problem in MS acquiring Crytek. I think that should be a studio that under proper management and oversight could do really well as a first party and give MS capable talent in the AAA space ready to go - and Crytek is BIG. Better than to see Crytek disband and fall apart by being independent. I have no issue with them buying Insomniac either. Another studio that would benefit - then again Insomniac has been avoiding a buyout for ages it seems. I just hope Sunset Overdrive doesn't flop for their sake.

Hindle

Banned
I'm not really sure if that should be considered as a bragging point.

Anyway, the argument that MS are masters in managing IP could have some merit in regards to Forza, Gears, and Halo (especially considering they've set up a whole studio devoted to solely churning out Halo products). But in terms of anything outside those IPs, it's been pretty shitty. Just look at the state of Rare - that interview with Chris Seavor from a few years back was recently republished on Eurogamer and it really displays the dire situation that Microsoft brought upon Rare. An utter shit-hurricane.

Did I say they were masters of managing IP?

They would do a far better job with Eidios then SE, and I hope they rather buy them should SE be willing to sell, or continue to work with Eidios on thier IP. Either is a better alternative then another 8 years with SE.

GnawtyDog

Banned

I don't think MS is at all too happy that their once flagship studio is developing multi-platform games for its chief rival and moving consoles for its chief rival en-masse.

Synth

What other publishers would you like Microsoft to buy, as a fan of Microsoft?

Serious answer? Sega. I'd like any of the three to buy Sega tbh. Their IPs only really stand a chance in the hands of a first-party, and they'd fill more gaps for MS than either Sony or Nintendo, so the game would be more likely to get bankrolled by them imo.

I don't think MS is at all too happy that their once flagship studio is developing multi-platform games for its chief rival and moving consoles for its chief rival en-masse.

MS probably isn't happy with the arrangement. But if Destiny shows the direction Bungie would have liked to take Halo (and Reach/ODST kinda show it was)... then I'm glad they're off the franchise personally.

Hindle

Banned

It was rather they let Bungie go independent, or spend $500m on Destiny, to keep Bungie happy. Looking at how much of a mess Destiny has been, I'd say they did make the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom