• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_crx

Banned
Not really interested in the ps4 offerings to be honest ...the xbox exclusives seem to be more suited to my tastes but having said that TLOU was awesome.

2015 is gonna be a great year for PS4. X1 lineup isnt a slouch but not quite as solid. Mostly due to Sony games not having much in Holiday 2014. 2016 is gonna be a huge year for Xbox I think.

Sydle

I'm the exact opposite. I buy the majority of Sony's first/second party games.

I did that last gen and found myself having luke warm feelings more often than not. Uncharted is the only franchise that clicked with me. I loved Sony's PS2 era, but the PS3 era just didn't do much for me.

Right now my only plans regarding Sony are to buy a PS4 when Uncharted releases and start packing it up to sell as soon as the credits roll. If The Order turns out well I will try that since I liked RAD's PSP games so much. Nothing else of Sony's gets me excited.

I wish Sony would bring back Jak & Daxter, or create a new franchise like it. I know there is the Ratchet remake, and I love Insomniac, but I'd rather see a brand new adventure.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's nothing like those, they're all Sega productions (I don't even know what Miku is, first I'm hearing of it).

If I break down what I know of certain upcoming titles in terms of genres:

4 RPGs (this includes the announced Bloodborne)
3 TPS (this includes The Order and Uncharted 4)
3 Horror (this includes Until Dawn)
3 Action/Adventure (all unannounced, one will be the GOW shake-up)
3 Platformers (includes LBP3 and Tearaway)
1 Arcade racer (unannounced)
1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Brawler (unannounced - think like that old PS1 game Fighting Force)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

The Sony/Capcom and Sony/Sega projects fit into those. I would personally put Bloodborne into Action/Adventure but GAF has always referred to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as RPGs (I wouldn't really know since I never played them), so I've been following suit pretty much whenever I talk about it. Someone will also probably be begging Konami to get something off the ground, but we'll have to see about that since they're about to shit out 3 Metal Gear games in the next 6 years.

One of these better be Syphon Filter.

It's nothing like those, they're all Sega productions (I don't even know what Miku is, first I'm hearing of it).

1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

The Sony/Capcom and Sony/Sega projects fit into those. I would personally put Bloodborne into Action/Adventure but GAF has always referred to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls as RPGs (I wouldn't really know since I never played them), so I've been following suit pretty much whenever I talk about it. Someone will also probably be begging Konami to get something off the ground, but we'll have to see about that since they're about to shit out 3 Metal Gear games in the next 6 years.

Now that's a nice looking list there. Wish we could see one like that for Xbox as well

Well I would be interested in what a Sega collaboration would be, given that Sega have very publicly bowed out of making anything other than whatever the list was, Alien, Sonic, etc. However it could mean Sony funding a Sega owned IP, obviously GAF would scream Shenmue, although there's no possible way a Shenmue 3, if it ever happened, could be ready to ship next year.

Likewise a Capcom collaboration would be interesting in that Capcom could just publish almost anything they were interested in themselves, they don't need Sony's money, so it would need to be something they're either not confident about, or something that has already been to market and flat-lined, like Dragon's Dogma.

I do want to know what Bend is doing, a third person horror game, no? Could be exciting, I'm not especially confident in the studio though, so just its existence isn't fascinating or anything.

After Dead Rising 3 and Sony's involvement in Deep Down, I wouldn't rule out much when it comes to Capcom. They really seem to be struggling. I'd hope that it's Dragon's Dogma but Ono's involvement and the other teases Verendus have given points me more towards the fighting game.

Oh and I'm guessing your comment about the second party term earlier in the thread was directed to me. I actually agree with you, I was just using it to differentiate between internal and external studios.

Biker19

Banned
An Uncharted Collection would be very welcome :)

It makes much more sense to have an Uncharted Collection since UC 4 is coming next year. That way, everyone would be able to play all 4 Uncharted games on one system. :)

You mean this game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWId6_Pemck

I don't think it looks that great. Microsoft already had https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmV4CdNdx0k at launch.

I'm not saying Sony doesn't have hype behind some fall titles.

LOL. Bloodborne is bigger than Ryse, dude. Ryse was nothing more than a watered-down Dynasty Warriors clone with constant QTE's.

As has been said a number of times, that 27 million figure doesn't include marketing costs. Total cost is over 40 million. This thread is going in circles.
Total cost was never reported, nor any relation to Heavy Rain. The 40 million number is the total budget of Heavy Rain, which was heavily marketed across several years. Beyond only got a strong push when it released. We know that the development budget was higher, but for all we know marketing was the same or lower. Heavy Rain made over $100m for Sony with 3 million copies sold (including discounts), so Beyond is somewhere above $50m now most likely (1.5 sales since 6 months). So it probably broke even by now or is already in the green. They celebrated the 1m milestone, which no dev/publisher does when a game bombed hard.

Considering what Sony said about Heavy Rain's sales expectations it's fair to say breaking even is all that matters for Sony when it comes to these types of games.

Head.spawn

I did that last gen and found myself having luke warm feelings more often than not. Uncharted is the only franchise that clicked with me. I loved Sony's PS2 era, but the PS3 era just didn't do much for me.

Right now my only plans regarding Sony are to buy a PS4 when Uncharted releases and start packing it up to sell as soon as the credits roll. If The Order turns out well I will try that since I liked RAD's PSP games so much. Nothing else of Sony's gets me excited.

I wish Sony would bring back Jak & Daxter, or create a new franchise like it. I know there is the Ratchet remake, and I love Insomniac, but I'd rather see a brand new adventure.

Did you play Demon Souls and GoW3? Those were pretty good too, I agree with you on the rest too, I'm picking one up for Uncharted 4 as well.

Sydle

Did you play Demon Souls and GoW3? Those were pretty good too, I agree with you on the rest too, I'm picking one up for Uncharted 4 as well.

I suck at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, not for me.

I did play and mostly enjoy God of War 3, but it was ultimately disappointing. I think GoW 2 is still the best designed of the series and Chains of Olympus was a lot of fun. GoW 3 looked great, but I was hoping for some major innovation in addition to the impressive graphics. I'm done with the series until they change it up a bit. Getting rid of Kratos would be a welcome change, too.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I didn't include them. It's more of a traditional platformer which is why. I imagine it'll feel more similar to stuff like Tearaway and LBP3 than it would to Ratchet and Sly.

Could you also also break down the missing platformer into sub-genre? So is it a collectathon (Mario 64, Banjo, Yoshi's Island, Jak & Daxter 1), a skill-game (2D Marios, Mario Galaxies, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman 2), or a performance platformer (Rayman Legends, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Sonic series)? Since we're talking about Sony, there would also be the fourth option of "experience platformer", where the gameplay mechanics are not the main highlight (think Tearaway, LBP, Puppeteer). Considering this genre always is the most likely to make me buy a platform, this would be very interesting for me. Action-platformer you have already ruled out (and I wouldn't call the likes of Ratchet even a platformer, so I'm fine with that).

Ishan

So does anyone know if the new ratchet and clank is basically ratchet 1 with better graphics, or is it a full reboot for a new series?

remember reading somewhere its a rc 1 remake (like halo anniversary) but take this with a grain of salt. im not sure at all.

Microsoft's first party lineup is far more appealing to me, and seems of a higher caliber than Sony's offering.
Any multiplatform game will be better on PC, but if you're a console only owner then PS4 wins out. That's the only thing that makes me reluctant about the One.

Hindle

Banned
I personally Microsofts holiday (ish) 2015 to go like this

August: Quantum Break
September: Halo 5
October: Forza 6 and Rise of the Tomb Raider
November: Gears of War Collection

This is assuming that GoW collection is coming but... I really do think it is. If Gears of War Collection isn't coming (or not in 2015 anyway) then I suspect they'll have another title for the holidays and maybe Halo will be November instead.

They're not going to release anything Gears related so close to Halo.

I think they'll have another notable exclusive for that period though, maybe another TR style deal.

Biker19

Banned
Microsoft's first party lineup is far more appealing to me, and seems of a higher caliber than Sony's offering.
Any multiplatform game will be better on PC, but if you're a console only owner then PS4 wins out. That's the only thing that makes me reluctant about the One.

If anything, most of them will be made with consoles in mind just like with last gen.

The amount of unannounced PS4 exclusives has me thinking that Sony really are doing this for the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing how their upcoming exclsuives do critically.

orochi91

I think they'll have another notable exclusive for that period though, maybe another TR style deal.

The way PS4 is selling, I can only imagine how massive the sales gap will be by holiday 2016.

I don't think MS can nab anything notable (timed) to compliment the next Gears.

madmackem

I hop not id rather they put that kind of money into an ip they can own rather than spending shit tons of cash to keep a game off other consoles for a period of time.

Sony always have more to offer me as they take more risks on smaller games, noway in hell would ms sanction the likes of heavy rain and the shit ton of games we saw at the end of the ps3 life cycle. Its one reason even if the shoe was on the other foot and ms was the better machine with more consoles sold id still have to get a ps4.

We all win in the end though owning all three is going to bring us alot of games to play.

Hindle

Banned
The way PS4 is selling, I can only imagine how massive the sales gap will be by holiday 2016.

I don't think MS can nab anything notable (timed) to compliment the next Gears.

People were saying the same thing for months, then they announced TR as exclusive. Starting from Holiday 2015 and continuing to Holiday 2016 will be the peak of this generation so I think MS are going to go whole in for those periods.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People were saying the same thing for months, then they announced TR as exclusive. Starting from Holiday 2015 and continuing to Holiday 2016 will be the peak of this generation so I think MS are going to go whole in for those periods.
So MS hasn't been "whole in" this past year? Please.

Hindle

Banned
I hop not id rather they put that kind of money into an ip they can own rather than spending shit tons of cash to keep a game off other consoles for a period of time.

Sony always have more to offer me as they take more risks on smaller games, noway in hell would ms sanction the likes of heavy rain and the shit ton of games we saw at the end of the ps3 life cycle. Its one reason even if the shoe was on the other foot and ms was the better machine with more consoles sold id still have to get a ps4.

We all win in the end though owning all three is going to bring us alot of games to play.

They have the resources to do both.

I'm hoping they invest more in studios as well, I want MS to make a few more acquisitions, as there's a few publishers right now who are handling IP that I care about in a poor way.

They have the resources to do both.

I'm hoping they invest more in studios as well, I want MS to make a few more acquisitions, as there's a few publishers right now who are handling IP that I care about in a poor way.

You want MS to buy established IP from other publishers that you think are mishandling it, because MS would treat the IP better?

The wacky world of Hindle carries on unabated!

Hindle

Banned
MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better. I want them to do the same with the likes of Capcom and Eidios.

I'm sick to my back teeth with the way SE treat Eidios and with the way Capcom are handled by incompetent shareholders.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
MS secured TR as exclusive because they saw how incompetent SE were in handling the series. They think they can do better. I want them to do the same with the likes of Capcom and Eidios.

I'm sick to my back teeth with the way SE treat Eidios and with the way Capcom are handled by incompetent shareholders.
You are delusional, have fun with that.

Lemondish

How does MS securing TR as a timed exclusive change how SE is handling the franchise? As far as I've seen, it is still being developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix. Nothing seems to have changed behind the scenes, especially considering the belief is that it will only be exclusive for a few months.

You cannot be serious.

Alot of posters not feeling the PS4/Sony upcoming lineup may be an indication that XBO is gaining more mindshare amoungst hardcore gamers. Right?

1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

Capcom + Brawler = Power Stone (please!)
Stealth Game + Bend = Syphon Filter (please!!!)

I saw roughly 4min of gameplay, not one time did a menu come up showing anything resembling RPG.

Sorry i didn't educate myself on the level of gameplay bloodborne will be offering fans of Dark Souls.
Hyper-fail. Shouldn't troll so blatantly. Thats how bridges get burned.

p3tran

Banned
so, right before consoles were launched, we had those declarations from both platform holders about the number of new ips, number of exclusives and all that. (ex: we will launch 8 new ip within the first year, etc)

anybody has a link back to those lists? it'd be interesting to see how it went, almost a full year later.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This thread is really making me happy. The amount of Verendus posts and information about things to come is really all I want this early on a monday morning. Really looking forward to the E3, GamesCon and TGS trio next year.

Next up Microsoft securing Devil May Cry from Capcpom? Or, Half-Life from Valve? Sly Cooper from Sony? Can you please inform us how you think Microsoft calls up publishers and explains to them how they're fucking up their IPs? I hope you aren't suggesting that Microsoft has some super programmers, game directors, etc just sitting around that go around helping less skilled studios making their games better.

Biker19

Banned

I agree, but they can and will get more aggressive, especially in those periods I stated.

By the time that happens, more & more people will be on PS4, & no one will probably care about Xbox One at all (forgive me for saying this, but I can't lie about it).

LMAO.

Biker19

Banned
Took Sony close to three years last gen to get really aggressive with their exclusive line up.

Very true, though Sony had both Japan & Europe & that the Playstation brand is still stronger than the Xbox brand as a whole.

Microsoft doesn't exactly compare to both Nintendo & Sony when it comes to many 1st party lineups, nor have they shown that they're dedicated towards that.

See I couldn't care less about Jak & Daxter, Ratchet or Crash. I don't like cartoon character games. The more realistic the better.

p3tran

Banned
By the time that happens, more & more people will be on PS4, & no one will care about Xbox One at all.

LMAO.
"more and more will be on ps4, and no one will care for xbone, at all?"

like, the LMAO that you posted is the perfect reply to the first part of your post..

Biker19

Banned
"more and more will be on ps4, and no one will care for xbone, at all?"

like, the LMAO that you posted is the perfect reply to the first part of your post..

That was a reply to Hindle's ridiculous comment (his second comment).

But I can't exactly lie about it. The only thing that Xbox One's got going is Halo.

RyoonZ

Banned

1 Stealth (unannounced)
1 Fighter (unannounced)

GENSO SUIKODEN BABY!!!
FUCK YEAH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom