• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

coldone

SMH. Yeah because 10M+ is SO easy, it's only one eighth of the entire install base. Should be a breeze.

And I just love the way you define success, as if all those games that weren't GOTY were terrible. Infamous, GoW3, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, Resistance 1 and 3, R&C ToD and ACiT, Journey, Sound Shapes, etc. were all mediocre or failures. I guess Sony were pretty fucking terrible last gen, huh?

For every good one.. there was a bad one.

- God of War 3 vs Ascension
- Infamous 1 had bad graphics. Infamous 2 was good.. but people forgot about the series
- Heavy Rain vs Beyond two souls
- Resistance 2 was terrible
- Two good Ratchet games. Then followed by 2 terrible ones

Journey, Soundshapes and Indie push was a decent. But XBLA by that time had 20x more games.

Sony first party games didnt have the consistency that most other publishers had. One up, two down, then again one up....

It has become terrible under YOSP. During the PS2 era, most of Sony titles used to have better consistency. Just holding studios accountable and shutting them down or laying off people is not the answer.

SOCOM, Wipeout, Warhawk are all good series. Instead of fostering them.. Sony asked zipper to make a move compatible SOCOM game...

I have a strong feeling.. with all the Drive club debacle, they may get shuttered very soon.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's an interesting industry that rarely in any other field would you have an information blackout on a project thats been in development for so long. Or such vague statements banded about. Imagine a movie studio making a film costing tens of millions of dollars, then just disappearing off the map a month prior to release, saying 'meh. Delayed. Because reasons. No ETA. Don't be impatient. Please be excite'.

terrier

disappointing but fair, i 'd rather have a good delayed game than a bad rushed one. That said while i am a motorstorm fan, and enjoy arcade games, never 'felt' DC was going to deliver, i couldn't see what the game was really about, online races? no story/progress mode? customization? etc.... it was good looking and handling seemed ok but that was all.

They should've just made a new Motorstorm.

If they had made that, it would've been available at launch and wouldn't have just been a pretender to Gran Turismo.

- Infamous 1 had bad graphics. Infamous 2 was good.. but people forgot about the series

Journey, Soundshapes and Indie push was a decent. But XBLA by that time had 20x more games.

Sony first party games didnt have the consistency that most other publishers had. One up, two down, then again one up....

It has become terrible under YOSP. During the PS2 era, most of Sony titles used to have better consistency. Just holding studios accountable and shutting them down or laying off people is not the answer.

SOCOM, Wipeout, Warhawk are all good series. Instead of fostering them.. Sony asked zipper to make a move compatible SOCOM game...

I have a strong feeling.. with all the Drive club debacle, they may get shuttered very soon.

inFamous 1 was bad because it had bad graphics looool.

Those games you listed aren't bad. Sequels or prequels not living up to the standards set by a previous installment doesn't make them "terrible". So much hyperbole was also around UC3, "omg they changed this, and that from UC2, worst game ever!".

I wonder what constitutes a really bad game(Ride to Hell, Aliens CM) by your definition.

It's an interesting industry that rarely in any other field would you have an information blackout on a project thats been in development for so long. Or such vague statements banded about. Imagine a movie studio making a film costing tens of millions of dollars, then just disappearing off the map a month prior to release, saying 'meh. Delayed. Because reasons. No ETA. Don't be impatient. Please be excite'.

what? movies get delayed all the time

TimFL

I don't really think they add VR. I believe it when I see it.

Would love them to optimize the game for better performance though. Only pre-ordered this because I had it offered for 16€.

liquidtmd

Banned
what? movies get delayed all the time

Sure. But a couple of months before launch, with pretty much no details and no follow up ETA? And continual shifting - DriveClub was initially launch, then whoops no it wasn't. Then silence. Then Q1 2014 fo' sure. Sometime. Probably. Now this.

If a blockbuster gets moved, the release date always tends to be communicated out fairly well IMO in the subsequent press release. And the reasons tend to be far more linear and transparent (i.e. injury of star / weather impacting shooting). Technical problems are encoutered, but these too are communicated out fairly well by the Director or subsquent PR arms.

Sure the process of making movies vs games is entirely different, but my point is due to the money involved in the projects, you'd think the companies concerned would want to be equally transparent. Any business wants to ensure clarity to its audience about what actions its taking and understanding of its product.

Malcolm9

It's a fair move if they want to make sure the quality is there, rather than rushing it out.

Bravo for the decision.

StuBurns

Banned
Films are finished months before they're shown, often a year or more, so they'd never need to be delayed so late in the process.

Presumably Sony knew they had the first year tied up, they knew delaying the game wouldn't hurt at all, so they decided they could benefit more from making it better. Film isn't an apt simile for the situation at all.

azhar

Banned
I just don't get why they waited until October 18, less than a month before launch, to delay it. If it's still far from being finished, you'd think they would have realized the game wasn't going to make the PS4 launch a bit earlier than that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I just don't get why they waited until October 18, less than a month before launch, to delay it. If it's still far from being finished, you'd think they would have realized the game wasn't going to make the PS4 launch a bit earlier than that.

To help drive sales for prospective PS4 owners thinking Driveclub is just around the corner.

liquidtmd

Banned
Films are finished months before they're shown, often a year or more, so they'd never need to be delayed so late in the process.

Presumably Sony knew they had the first year tied up, they knew delaying the game wouldn't hurt at all, so they decided they could benefit more from making it better. Film isn't an apt simile for the situation at all.

I appreciate that, as mentioned in my post. I don't know...I just feel sometimes the game industry seems to be often poor in communicating information about their products generally, outside of this Driveclub issue, and it is perceived that its ok because 'Game Industy gonna Game Industry' and due to the stereotypes that exists about gamers overall.

Delaying a game to ensure quality? Great. Delaying a game with little notice, not really saying when it'll be available after making it front and centre of your early PR drive (club), banding it around the schedules - comes across a little unprofessional for an industry of this scale.

Completely off topic: Imagine the game series didn't exist and movies of the Half-Life series released exactly as they did as the games. Half-Life 2 / Episode 2 was released and ended on a cliffhanger with the promise of a regular follow up then...nothing. What do you think the company behind the films would do? Be equally non-chalent to people asking the question?

orioto

Good Art™
Lot of people here seem to think reworking the game has to do with graphics.. I heard that more as something like : "The game had not enough feature/content and it would have been a 6/10, so we're taking the next step."

SaucyJack

Apart from GT5.. there was no single 10M+ selling exclusive from Sony on PS3/Vita era.

There were more mediocre games and failures than success. Success came from two or three studios. ND, Media Molecule saved the day with 3 GOTYs

Lot of mid budget games like Starhawk, PS Kart, COD Vita etc. It would be better for them to have fewer but more polished games like Uncharted2..

What's your point. Apart from Halo 3 there was no single 10M+ selling exclusive from Microsoft on XB360 era.

Sintoid

Lot of people here seem to think reworking the game has to do with graphics.. I heard that more as something like : "The game had not enough feature/content and it would have been a 6/10, so we're taking the next step."

I really hope you're right, actually graphics was one of the only no problem for me and I was waiting to see the "social features"...which no one saw...

I think the game is ready to go at this point, but Sony is waiting to see what date works best for them. I think June-August would be the sweet spot. So maybe an announcement at GDC or just in a PR statement and new media like Batman and Watch Dogs soon.

Releasing it April would have been nice as well, but would be cutting it close to make that happen.

Edit: actually early May would work out perfectly as well.

Dont see many terrible games here. Some are even fantastic.

StuBurns

Banned
I appreciate that, as mentioned in my post. I don't know...I just feel sometimes the game industry seems to be often poor in communicating information about their products generally, outside of this Driveclub issue, and it is perceived that its ok because 'Game Industy gonna Game Industry' and due to the stereotypes that exists about gamers overall.
It certainly is, we're getting to the point of it improving somewhat though, for example, although an Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty haven't even been announced, we can pretty accurately guess the release dates, and publishers also know not to put releases in those windows, unless they mean to compete with them.

I think that's the first step towards a more Hollywood like release system, which the industry really would benefit from.
Delaying a game to ensure quality? Great. Delaying a game with little notice, not really saying when it'll be available after making it front and centre of your early PR drive (club), banding it around the schedules - comes across a little unprofessional for an industry of this scale.
DriveClub is dodgy, the decision to delay that game obviously came way way before we heard about it, almost nothing had been shown, it wasn't in a visual or performance standard to ship when it was a single car on a track, let alone a racing experience, and the director was off when the game would have had to go gold because his wife was having a child.

They didn't just take the latest build and decided it wasn't up to standard, the delay was planned, and kept secret for whatever reason.
Completely off topic: Imagine the game series didn't exist and movies of the Half-Life series released exactly as they did as the games. Half-Life 2 / Episode 2 was released and ended on a cliffhanger with the promise of a regular follow up then...nothing. What do you think the company behind the films would do? Be equally non-chalent to people asking the question?
I don't really think the ending of EP2 would be considered a cliffhanger in cinema. To the gaming audience, if a story isn't tied up in a bow, and it's not positive, it's not over, that's not really the case. If you take Children of Men, the most Half-Life of any film, it's ending is actually very similar to EP2, you know the plan (ironically, the same, to get to a ship to save the world), someone dies, and it ends abruptly.

Of course HL is different, because EP3 was announced, we know it doesn't end there, but it's also different because the game industry is a technology focused industry, film doesn't suffer feature creep. It could, Gravity could have been delayed till 4k/60fps was viable, but technology moves so slowly, and is considered so secondary to the experience, that the audience doesn't consider it important.

EP3 was an unfortunate situation, but it's kind of the only one like it that I can think of. Most story linked sequels don't get made because no one cares, like Advent Rising or Too Human.

Well, about a month one of the DriveClub devs teased that there would be news "soon". Sony is rumored to announce their own VR headset next week at GDC and I could really imagine that they show DriveClub as the poster child game for their new technology. I can hardly think of any other game that immediately would suit better as a show-off title for VR. So they went back to the "drawing board" to make re-designs that account for VR.

OR the dev was too optimistic back in February and Sony decided that the game is just not good enough and needs an overhaul.

I'd really like to believe in this VR theory though.

Occam

To help drive sales for prospective PS4 owners thinking Driveclub is just around the corner.
I agree with this. They were dishonest about it to get more PS4 launch sales. I was really looking forward to DriveClub myself and had pre-oredered it expecting to get it along with my PS4. And while I would have bought a PS4 as soon as possible no matter what, maybe some others would have delayed their purchase.

Dinjooh

I agree with this. They were dishonest about it to get more PS4 launch sales. I was really looking forward to DriveClub myself and had pre-oredered it expecting to get it along with my PS4. And while I would have bought a PS4 as soon as possible no matter what, maybe some others would have delayed their purchase.

A friend of mine immediately sold the system to another person on launch day since there wasn't anything on it he would play (Buys consoles only for driving games)

Oh well, he did make quite a good amount of cash on that.

Ascension was a very good game, it just wasn't amazing like GOW3. Absolutely fucking ridiculous to call it a bad game. (I know opinions...)

It will be out this year. They just arent giving a date until they know they will make it, as missing two dates will be shitty. Many people assumed it was "a couple months" but as far as I know Sony never once said how long the delay was going to be.
Sony said "early 2014" in the initial delay announcement and that has driven expectations. Since that time we've been told to expect details "soon" or "shortly", off and on since January.

Sony said "early 2014" in the initial delay announcement and that has driven expectations. Since that time we've been told to expect details "soon" or "shortly", off and on since January.

If there's one thing that's annoying across the board among all developers when it comes to loose release periods, it's how loosely they use the word 'early.'

It used to mean Q1, but now it stretches 1H.

Dinjooh

Oh wauw, just realised we've been predicting release dates for some time now, with a lot of us thinking - 'well, maybe february!'

oh so wrong.

Socky

Release Date of Driveclub – An Open Letter

Ever since we started working on Driveclub, it has been our aim to produce a title that would take our 14 years of experience in creating racing games and distill them into a quintessence, into a game that would effectively crown those years. At the same time, we have wanted Driveclub to expand creative boundaries, set new benchmarks, develop the genre as a whole. Ultimately, you, the players, must get an unforgettable driving experience – and that's most important. We've created a driving adventure that feels natural, looks beautiful, rendered it in amazing sound and visuals and made it as social an experience as possible – all for you. We knew this to be an ambitious plan, but believed we could achieve it by bringing together our team with its creative energies and the Playstation 4 with its technical capabilities. A project of this scope and complexity would inevitably require special care in its final stages, manual fine-tuning of many details, thorough testing time and again.

We recently reexamined what we had achieved thus far, and faced a choice about the game's final release date. The decision we made was difficult, thoroughly considered, and ultimately clear and obvious. We could have released the game towards the end of last year as we had initially planned. Yet we concluded that a few additional months will let us achieve the quality that will satisfy us, the quality gamers expect from us. Consequently, we have set the release of Driveclub for WID*.

Dear gamers - we know many of you would have liked to play Driveclub sooner, as soon as possible, even. We're sorry to make you wait longer than you, or we, initially assumed you would. At the same time, we believe the game will prove to be worth the wait and meet the expectations you have of us. We believe Driveclub will be an exceptional racer, one of the best, providing many hours of wonderful entertainment.

Dear Shu – we are aware of the responsibility that rests with us and thank you for the trust you have granted us thus far. We firmly believe that quality – more than any other factor – determines a game's success, and that the decision we have made is thus equally valid in business terms.

Evolution Studios

*When It's Done

> drawing board comment.

THIS IS A MOCK PRESS RELEASE, taken from the Witcher 3 delay release and therefore, not genuine. Please do not lynch me, DC fans!

Top Bottom