• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjontrix

I had the original suspicion that Z/ZL panels are being reused confirmed from someone who works in the supply chain. Sony have around 600k of older panels remaining on their order book and don't expect to sell anywhere near that amount of Z/ZLs over the coming months so they only way to use them was to filter them out into the new Z1. Poor decision IMO because they are also using AMVA and AH-IPS panels as well which are amazing. Around 4/10 phones in the original C6902 shipment are made using the older panel and around 2/10 in the C6903, the US C6906 will not have any of the older panel.

It also makes me suspicious over the triluminous branding being anything more than a software based calibration because adapting the older panels for the tech (changing the backlight and adding a resin layer) seems like a costly move and this was done to cut costs so it doesn't make much sense.

I really hope this is the last time Sony has a panel lottery, I don't like the idea of someone paying £599 for a phone that comes with parts harvested from the Z/ZL supply chain, especially when the phone being bought is supposed to have righted the wrongs of the other ones.

Wait... there's 3 DIFFERENT PANELS?

A crappy one, a AMVA and a AH-IPS? What a clusterfuck.

So which one is the one to get?

Wait... there's 3 DIFFERENT PANELS?

A crappy one, a AMVA and a AH-IPS? What a clusterfuck.

So which one is the one to get?

The AMVA or AH-IPS one, they are both of comparable quality, up there with the panels used in the iPhone 5/5S in terms of colours, contrast and viewing angles.

If you wait until around November the third production shipment will be hitting stores, and these shouldn't have any of the older panel present though I can't give any guarantees since Sony are pretty stupid and may order more of the shitty panels just to cut costs.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
BWTiVO3CYAEp_-9.png:large

Tmo usa

neo2046

The AMVA or AH-IPS one, they are both of comparable quality, up there with the panels used in the iPhone 5/5S in terms of colours, contrast and viewing angles.

If you wait until around November the third production shipment will be hitting stores, and these shouldn't have any of the older panel present though I can't give any guarantees since Sony are pretty stupid and may order more of the shitty panels just to cut costs.

zomg,

have you heard any news about the global release time of the Xperia Z1 f ?
also if there is any changes in specs?
I really wish Sony don't be stupid to reduce the ROM size to 8GB again

zomg,

have you heard any news about the global release time of the Xperia Z1 f ?
also if there is any changes in specs?
I really wish Sony don't be stupid to reduce the ROM size to 8GB again

Z1-F is the big CES announcement from what I can gather, so it should be available in the rest of the world by the end of January or early Feb at the latest.

No changes I know of, 16GB is confirmed afaik.

The other interesting announcement is that there could be a special edition of the Z1 with 64GB ROM made available in the C6903 version but I'm not 100% on that, I've heard it's just an idea atm.

neo2046

Z1-F is the big CES announcement from what I can gather, so it should be available in the rest of the world by the end of January or early Feb at the latest.

The other interesting announcement is that there could be a special edition of the Z1 with 64GB ROM made available in the C6903 version but I'm not 100% on that, I've heard it's just an idea atm.

thanks !
personally I really hope SONY can release it in December :(
also 2014 is really a little late if they target Z1-F to against iphone 5s

Archer

a perfect time to segue away from my blackberry 9900 to android. the z1-f will be my next phone.

vivftp

I had the original suspicion that Z/ZL panels are being reused confirmed from someone who works in the supply chain. Sony have around 600k of older panels remaining on their order book and don't expect to sell anywhere near that amount of Z/ZLs over the coming months so they only way to use them was to filter them out into the new Z1. Poor decision IMO because they are also using AMVA and AH-IPS panels as well which are amazing. Around 4/10 phones in the original C6902 shipment are made using the older panel and around 2/10 in the C6903, the US C6906 will not have any of the older panel.

Glad to hear that last part. I was a wee bit hesitant about my impending Z1 purchase due to the screen talk, and thought about delaying it a bit until the old panels worked their way out of circulation. IIRC Canada should be getting the same C6906 variant the US is gettng according to esato forums, so I should be good.

A shame to hear it'll take a while for Sony to possibly release a larger capacity version of the Z1. I'd happily pay for a 64 or 128 gig version. The fact that Sony has decided to put a 128 gig capacity in one of their Android Walkmans (ZX1) has me hopeful that they will soon be offering such options for their phones. Also would be nice to start putting IR blasters on their phones again dangit!

is there an easy way to differentiate which screen you got? Z1 is released in my country Indonesia at October 21th and they're now running pre-order promo where I can get like $75 worth of discount if I preorder now, but with pre-order, I'm not sure I can look at the phone myself to see if I got the better screen or not. :(

satam55

Banned
When can we see see Sony's mid-range phones come to the U.S.? I'm specifically interested in the Xperia M & the Xperia L.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
where did you get c6906?

I have some awesome friends in Canada who sent me a Bell version. For those on ATT, it's probably your best option at the moment, since it has no bloatware whatsoever, and the Tmo version isn't out yet.

WHY SONY WHY WOULD YOU RELASE A HSPA+ ONLY!!!!
LTE version will be exclusively available on T-Mobile.

ZU is out though and comes with LTE. It's also very awesome, the best Xperia device out right now if you don't mind the size. Amazing screen, top class performance, waterproof, ultra slim and you can easily get a day from the battery without having to use stamina mode.

I've been thinking of selling my ZL and getting an Ultra. I have an SP anyway for work which I use fot most personal calls as well and the ZU is just better than the ZL in every way possible.

samven582

ZU is out though and comes with LTE. It's also very awesome, the best Xperia device out right now if you don't mind the size. Amazing screen, top class performance, waterproof, ultra slim and you can easily get a day from the battery without having to use stamina mode.

I've been thinking of selling my ZL and getting an Ultra. I have an SP anyway for work which I use fot most personal calls as well and the ZU is just better than the ZL in every way possible.
will it have LTE band 4 and 17 or just 4 like the xperia z?

All of the **06 versions come with 4 and 17, the **03 versions only have band 4 because no country uses band 17 except the US and Canada.

With 3G AT&T was 100% compatible with EU phones so they got a lot of standard GSM devices, but the US government decided that they wanted to do things their own way and didn't release bands 18 and 20 to carriers or the digital dividend because the US still has analogue broadcasts while Europe switched analogue off in 2012.

Band 18 is the main one required for easy WW compatibility in phones IIRC but the DoD are said to be uneasy about giving up their own spectrum for the FCC to put on sale. I think it will happen and AT&T will do whatever is necessary to buy it so they can get their compatibility with international phones back.

Mario007

Not to derail the thread but how is the SP? I was thinking of getting a new phone to replace my Arc S and I can't spend the money on a new flagship phone, so I was looking at mid-tier (was hoping Z/ZL would get a bigger discount but so far nothing like that happened). Is it comperable to T from last year or would it be a bit better/worse?

Not to derail the thread but how is the SP? I was thinking of getting a new phone to replace my Arc S and I can't spend the money on a new flagship phone, so I was looking at mid-tier (was hoping Z/ZL would get a bigger discount but so far nothing like that happened). Is it comperable to T from last year or would it be a bit better/worse?

Much better than the T.

In other news a new update has rolled to the Z1. Brings significant camera processing improvements and a new screen calibration for certain panels to get rid of the yellow tint (pumped up the blue gamma curve I guess).

samven582

All of the **06 versions come with 4 and 17, the **03 versions only have band 4 because no country uses band 17 except the US and Canada.

With 3G AT&T was 100% compatible with EU phones so they got a lot of standard GSM devices, but the US government decided that they wanted to do things their own way and didn't release bands 18 and 20 to carriers or the digital dividend because the US still has analogue broadcasts while Europe switched analogue off in 2012.

Band 18 is the main one required for easy WW compatibility in phones IIRC but the DoD are said to be uneasy about giving up their own spectrum for the FCC to put on sale. I think it will happen and AT&T will do whatever is necessary to buy it so they can get their compatibility with international phones back.

so your saying is that I can buy the T mobile model, unlock it and use it on ATT with full LTE access?

liger05

the phone is a lot heavier than I thought it would be. I could imagine it getting pretty annoying holding it to your ear for a while.

I want this thing so bad. Does anyone know how much software Sony piled onto this thing? I love my Nexus 4 for it's simplicity but I've got some serious display envy going on for Samsungs Note panel and these Triluminous displays.

Will the c6906 be available in the US? Or the best bet is to get the Canadian Bell version?

Better to get the Bell version. Has no branding, unless you are planning to get it on contract (though I'm not sure how it works with T-Mobile now). Not just that but Bell will have the mainline update stream (same as Europe and Asia) while T-Mobile will have US specific updates modified by SMC USA as per the instructions of T-Mobile. Essentially updates on T-Mobile will be much slower.

EmiPrime

It's really too bad that Sony couldn't get their act together and release the Z1F before 2014 as it would probably be my new phone if it was available now. The Z1 panel lottery is really off-putting so it's either the 5S or the Nexus 5 for me.

baekshi

Banned
Better to get the Bell version. Has no branding, unless you are planning to get it on contract (though I'm not sure how it works with T-Mobile now). Not just that but Bell will have the mainline update stream (same as Europe and Asia) while T-Mobile will have US specific updates modified by SMC USA as per the instructions of T-Mobile. Essentially updates on T-Mobile will be much slower.

is the Bell version unlocked? anywhere I can buy it besides from their own site?

It's really too bad that Sony couldn't get their act together and release the Z1F before 2014 as it would probably be my new phone if it was available now. The Z1 panel lottery is really off-putting so it's either the 5S or the Nexus 5 for me.

I just wish Google would announce the damn thing :/ I have a feeling it won't have a display I'm looking for however.

EmiPrime

I just wish Google would announce the damn thing :/ I have a feeling it won't have a display I'm looking for however.

I am hoping that it will be the device that gets me to switch to Android (not that I am unhappy with IOS) because at least with Google's own hardware you can expect firmware updates a year after you've bought your phone. If the Nexus 4 hadn't had such extreme stock issues I would be using one now.

If only a Sony made Nexus phone would get made...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom