• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyp

Lots of people getting their Z1s today that ordered from CLove in the UK.

Meanwhile EE still havn't even dispatched mine :(

On a charging note, the Z1 has a magnetic charging point, and the dock that you can buy is basically a plastic shell with the cable in it. You can remove the cable and just have a magnetic charger for your phone, a la macbooks.

At last.

There are already companies selling magnetic charging leads as well, ranging around £15/$18.

EDIT:

For anyone that ordered from EE, one guy on xda went into his local to see what was going on after he heard some people had got theirs already, and was told that they had units in stock but were not allowed to release them until Friday. The guy he was talking to also pre ordered one so I would hope he wouldn't lie about having the stock in if he also wanted one.

Hopefully that means those that ordered direct online with them might get some dispatch emails tomorrow for arrival on Friday.

Got my Z1 White from Clove today! Loooooove it! :D

Arc

Is there any chance of the US getting a LTE version? Really bummed to hear we have to wait until January for a T-Mobile only release.

Fezan

Just read Engadget review. over all he praised the phone but what a strange reveiw.

Camera is great but not good as lumia u should get lumia.
Screen is very good but has veiwing angle so you should get htc1
battery life is great but lgg2 has better battery u should get that one.

Also XZ sold nearly 5 million same amount as HTC one so how did htc overshadoow xperia z ?

kharma45

Just read Engadget review. over all he praised the phone but what a strange reveiw.

Camera is great but not good as lumia u should get lumia.
Screen is very good but has veiwing angle so you should get htc1
battery life is great but lgg2 has better battery u should get that one.

Where does it say that? Skimming through the review with ctrl + f but not seeing that.

Mario007

Where does it say that? Skimming through the review with ctrl + f but not seeing that.
At the start of the review He talks about Xperia Z lacking a standout feature that caused it to get lost in the sea of HTC One and S4. It's probably just him writing from an American perspective. From my own experience I've seen much more Xperia Z's than HTC Ones.

Edit: Sorry thought you were referring to the Z comment.

kharma45

At the start of the review He talks about Xperia Z lacking a standout feature that caused it to get lost in the sea of HTC One and S4. It's probably just him writing from an American perspective. From my own experience I've seen much more Xperia Z's than HTC Ones.

Edit: Sorry thought you were referring to the Z comment.

No worries, edited to make it a bit clearer.

Fezan

hyper bole on my part but the comparison part is true. he is not comparing phone as a whole but parts of it with parts of other phone. Why not compare 5s camera with 1020 etc

kharma45

hyper bole on my part but the comparison part is true. he is not comparing phone as a whole but parts of it with parts of other phone. Why not compare 5s camera with 1020 etc

In their review of the 5S they did. 'Even so, our sample shots still showed more noise and less detail than the same images taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020.'

I don't see what's wrong with the comparisons myself.

tino

Banned
I want to post the news here because I am too lazy to start a new thread.

I heard the news of a Chinese electronic company Vivo (same company as Oppo) will put a 1/1.7" 20mp sensor in its flagship phone since 2 days ago. I brushed this rumor off because I don't know any P&S camera with a sensor of this particular spec. They are either 12mp or 13-14mp.

Now I am reading this rumor in the English blogs.

Not only does it have a larger 1/1.7" sensor, it also has a Nikon EXPEED image processor. 1/1.7" will put it in the same class as the 2/3" Nokia 1020 sensor.

If this rumor is true, it would be pretty funny for a no name Chinese phone company to beat Sony to the punch.

vivftp

I want to post the news here because I am too lazy to start a new thread.

I heard the news of a Chinese electronic company Vivo (same company as Oppo) will put a 1/1.7" 20mp sensor in its flagship phone since 2 days ago. I brushed this rumor off because I don't know any P&S camera with a sensor of this particular spec. They are either 12mp or 13-14mp.

Now I am reading this rumor in the English blogs.

Not only does it have a larger 1/1.7" sensor, it also has a Nikon EXPEED image processor. 1/1.7" will put it in the same class as the 2/3" Nokia 1020 sensor.

If this rumor is true, it would be pretty funny for a no name Chinese phone company to beat Sony to the punch.

Beat Sony to what punch? Do we know how thick this phone will be and what its other specs are? Sony could have put a 1" sensor into a phone, but it'd be far larger than it is. The Z1 is a great blend of a larger sensor that's still in a mainstream sized phone for thickness.

Also, Z1 will launch in Canada in mid October! W00T! Glad to see they're releasing it on multiple carriers too. Interested to see what the price will be to upgrade via Rogers:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/25/xperia-z1-to-hit-canada-in-october-through-multiple-carriers/

Also glad all the colours will be available, but not every carrier will have all the colours though. It would be cool if Canadian carriers offered freebies like people in other countries were getting like free QX10 camera lenses or Smart Watch 2, but I doubt we'd see that happen here.

Zaptruder

Banned

Because it's useful to know how the parts compare to the best of what's out there.

The summary of the review is fairly on point - you're not going to get the best of the best in any function... but they're nearly the best, and combined, makes for one of the best all round packages out there.

DBT85

Hmm. My Z1 is chugging battery at a ridiculous rate. Bear in mind that i've not used it since I unplugged it last night before bed, and it's down to 39%.

It's saying 36% cell standby, 27% phone idle, 14% Andriod OS, 9% WiFi, 8% screen. NO idea why Cell Standby is so high, it's just been on a shelf with plenty of signal.

Just turned Location based WiFi off to see if the usage drops.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Hmm. My Z1 is chugging battery at a ridiculous rate. Bear in mind that i've not used it since I unplugged it last night before bed, and it's down to 39%.

It's saying 36% cell standby, 27% phone idle, 14% Andriod OS, 9% WiFi, 8% screen. NO idea why Cell Standby is so high, it's just been on a shelf with plenty of signal.

According to endgadget:

Engadget said:
One thing we did have to be careful of was WiFi -- during one rundown test, we accidentally left the phone connected to a WiFi network (we normally leave WiFi on, but disconnected), and somehow we nuked the battery in four hours -- likely due to Dropbox syncing photos in the background. It seems to be heavy WiFi use that is particularly inefficient, so be careful what apps you leave running. The upshot: the phone has great stamina, but you have to get to know it a little in order to achieve consistency.

Probably the auto updates while on wifi that nuke the battery. Maybe there are settings you can do to turn them off.

Mario007

Its been mentioned in a number of Xperia threads previously but Sony's batteries take a couple of recharge cycles to start working optimally. It's to keep the battery lasting longer in the end.

Ban Puncher

One thing I want to know before jumping on this phone in a week or so, does it use Gorilla Glass or something similar to protect the screen or do I have to muck around with screen protectors?

DBT85

Its been mentioned in a number of Xperia threads previously but Sony's batteries take a couple of recharge cycles to start working optimally. It's to keep the battery lasting longer in the end.

I get that, It's been all the to dead 3 times since I got it. we'll see if it improves.

One thing I want to know before jumping on this phone in a week or so, does it use Gorilla Glass or something similar to protect the screen or do I have to muck around with screen protectors?

It's an odd one.

They use Dragontrail glass on the front IIRC or it might be Gorilla. Nobody seems to know, and some think its one on the back and the other on the front. So nice and scratch resistant. Then they put a plastic anti shatter film over the top (so if you bounced it the glass will break, but not fly everywhere). In so doing they make the screen now prone to marks and scratches which means you a) add a screen protector (so putting more plastic on top of plastic on top of glass) or you remove the anti shatter film, which voids the warranty.

Also if you take the film off the Z1 the Sony Logo comes off apparently.

I took the film off my Z Tablet, and will likely do the same on the Z1.

Gav

My battery has been great - but i do have location services/GPS turned off for the most part. Location based WiFi is ON.
Made a number of calls yesterday, sent texts, chatted on Google Hangouts, played some YouTube at full volume, played some games, checked emails etc.
It was taken off charge at 6.30am yesterday morning, and after all of that, it was at 51% when i went to bed last night at 10pm.

Fezan

Use screen protector. even tough sonny put some anti shatter sheet but is scratches so easily so its always better to put screen protector over it

jourdy

Got my Z1!

Build of the Z1 is definitely better than the Z Ultra, but the Z Ultra is noticeably thinner than the Z1.

I prefer the size of my Z Ultra. This Z1 feels so wrong. So small LOL. Barely enough room to place all important apps in the main screen.

Some quick pictures:

My Z1 is scotch taped right now because there is no protector available yet! Gonna be a loooooooong while before I remove this plastic...
TeHDtwc.jpg

rWsfJU9.jpg

I think I like my Ultra more.. but the much improved camera is just a huge upgrade for me since I often take pics to send to my friends (not instagram or FB!)

Fezan

Got my Z1!

Build of the Z1 is definitely better than the Z Ultra, but the Z Ultra is noticeably thinner than the Z1.

I prefer the size of my Z Ultra. This Z1 feels so wrong. So small LOL. Barely enough room to place all important apps in the main screen.

Some quick pictures:

My Z1 is scotch taped right now because there is no protector available yet! Gonna be a loooooooong while before I remove this plastic...
TeHDtwc.jpg

rWsfJU9.jpg

I think I like my Ultra more.. but the much improved camera is just a huge upgrade for me since I often take pics to send to my friends (not instagram or FB!)

CAn you tell us about screen comaprision adn veiwing angles etc

Zaptruder

Banned
Use screen protector. even tough sonny put some anti shatter sheet but is scratches so easily so its always better to put screen protector over it

A screen protector... on top of a screen protector, on top of a screen that is harder and more scratch resilient than either screen protectors. Combined.

jourdy

CAn you tell us about screen comaprision adn veiwing angles etc

Im sorry but I am not really knowledgable about screens. All I can say is that it looks exactly like my Z Ultra but the Z1 has smoother App fonts due to the smaller screen (same 1080p as the Ultra).

Question: is the screen protector installed by Sony replaceable?

Hey, I've been trying to figure this out, but I can't seem to come up with anything...

Is this phone coming to North America or what? All I'm hearing/seeing is Canada and UK...

DBT85

So after 14 hours off the mains my phone is down to 14% battery.

Thats 12 minutes of screen on time and a 3 minute phone call.

WiFi is now off and it's on charge.

Gav

Some insane wakelock? Try stamina mode? No phone should be that poor.

Agreed. My Z1 was off charge for 16 hours yesterday as mentioned above, with moderate usage all day, and battery went down approx 50%.
Its been off charge for 8 hours so far today - a little usage, games, texts, Google Hangout, and its on 82%.

Those are some crazy numbers.

DBT85

Some insane wakelock? Try stamina mode? No phone should be that poor.

I'm trying it with Stamina off for the moment. Shouldn't have to keep that on as I don't on my Xperia Z Tablet.

I'm used to my One X where when not in use even with WiFi left on it would just sip power.

I'm sure this isn't a proper issue. Its either something I've got running or a firmware issue or something. For now WiFi and 3G are off (My 4G sim should be here next week), NFC is off as is anything else. Just so I can see what it does.

I'm sitting at home on the main PC so I can just leave it in standby.

They still haven't rolled out the newer firmware to certain UK sets yet, others have had 4 since launch day.

EDIT:

Well, 5 hours off charge and it's down to 71%. The screen has been on for 3 minutes. No WiFi, no 3G, no NFC.

Cell radio has used 47% of that battery, and has spent 0 minutes without signal.
Phone idle has used 35% of that battery (so 10% of the total).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I also finally have this phone.

No impressions yet except that it mostly works fine and the screen mirroring from Xperia Z to Xperia Z1 hasn't improved. (Bravia TV feature, it still lags with video but is fine for regular stuff.)

Wortany

Well, 5 hours off charge and it's down to 71%. The screen has been on for 3 minutes. No WiFi, no 3G, no NFC.

Wow, that is harsh.
I received my Xperia Z1 earlier this week and I can happily report that mine lasts atleast 36-40 hours with moderate use. Meaning some gaming/browsing/watching movie clips and making some phone calls. Also my Wifi or Mobile Data is on 24/7. I'm not using the stamina mode.
So I think you may have a faulty device there.

Can't comment about the screen except for: It is beautiful. I come from an Xperia Neo so I have no idea how the viewing angles are compared to other high-end phones but it is certainly a big improvement for me.

There is one thing I am not happy about that seems to be an Android problem but still never got this on my 4.0 Xperia Neo. There is this major sound lag in a lot of games, luckily not for movies. Seems to be around 300-500ms latency.
It makes Rhythm games like DJ Max Ray totally unplayable.

JonnyBrad

Audio Lag is a core android issue. Its something that's hard to solve due to the way dalvik works as a VM. From the dev round tables at I/o its something they know about but there isn't some patch they can just push through unfortunately.

SKINNER!

Banned
Got the phone waiting for me at the flat ever since I got back from travels (was at parents place). Was playing around with my friend's Note 2 and I was like "oh shit, maybe I made a mistake getting the Z1" but then I read through all the posts here and I'm like "Can't wait to play with it!!!!" Picked up a Roxfit Gel case and a 64GB micro SD card for it.

DBT85

Wow, that is harsh.
I received my Xperia Z1 earlier this week and I can happily report that mine lasts atleast 36-40 hours with moderate use. Meaning some gaming/browsing/watching movie clips and making some phone calls. Also my Wifi or Mobile Data is on 24/7. I'm not using the stamina mode.
So I think you may have a faulty device there.

Can't comment about the screen except for: It is beautiful. I come from an Xperia Neo so I have no idea how the viewing angles are compared to other high-end phones but it is certainly a big improvement for me.

There is one thing I am not happy about that seems to be an Android problem but still never got this on my 4.0 Xperia Neo. There is this major sound lag in a lot of games, luckily not for movies. Seems to be around 300-500ms latency.
It makes Rhythm games like DJ Max Ray totally unplayable.

Well Something magic happened, after it died that day I put it on charge again. It's now been off charge for 28 hours, had the screen on for 2h 20m and has 52% left. WiFi and 3G have been on and off, as has BT.

It literally went from shit to great overnight.

Wortany

Audio Lag is a core android issue. Its something that's hard to solve due to the way dalvik works as a VM. From the dev round tables at I/o its something they know about but there isn't some patch they can just push through unfortunately.

Is it really a core Android problem or rather a hardware vendor specific implementation problem?
Because I never had it this bad on my previous Xperia from 2011. It ran on Android 4.0 and that should according the various newsposts have it even worse than post-4.1 devices.

Looks great, but specsheet for the Z1 itself seems to be wrong: mine only shipped with 16GB storage build in, not 32GB. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Well Something magic happened, after it died that day I put it on charge again. It's now been off charge for 28 hours, had the screen on for 2h 20m and has 52% left. WiFi and 3G have been on and off, as has BT.

Good news, hope you can enjoy your device now.

Good to hear. That's how Sony batteries work they have to go thru a couple of charge cycle to get there max potential. Batteries tend to last longer like that according to them. All there electronics are the same.

neo2046

Looks great, but specsheet for the Z1 itself seems to be wrong: mine only shipped with 16GB storage build in, not 32GB. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

lots of Japanese companies always release their products locally with more functions and better spec
(or even just release in Japan only)
just like Xperia ZR, it has only 8GB storage build in, but the same Japanese model (Xperia A) has 32GB plus other functions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom