• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Seems like the phone releases on the 16th in the UK. Due to travel I'm seriously considering importing it from there and just eat a bit extra cost to get it earlier.

vivftp

So Xperia Z looks like it's taken the low light photography crown based on photos from the latest firmware version. It's pretty decent during daylight, but I think there's still room for improvement. Can't wait to see what it'll be like in a month when the proper camera firmware is released.

If people on other forums are to be believed, the reason for the delay in the camera firmware is due to some sort of legal reasons. No idea what that means, but hopefully we'll see what this camera can really do soon enough.

demolitio

It feels like any phone I want badly automatically won't be available for me. I've been waiting for this phone for a long time since the first leaks about the camera and its specs in general and now it seems like I need to contain all hype.

I would actually switch from Verizon to Cincinnati Bell for this if they got it like they did some of the other Xperia phones.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Vodafone UK have every bluddy colour of the 5C yet still don't have this on their site

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So is it really confirmed its not coming to the US till January? I can't wait that long.

I haven't seen anything about the US anywhere, beyond that mention in this thread. No timeframe (though it's supposed to be "worldwide" in September?) or carriers.

Zapages

So is it really confirmed its not coming to the US till January? I can't wait that long.

My local sony store said its definitely not coming until end of October. At the latest they said it would be January with AT&T and T-mobile with one of them getting exclusivity till end of the year. Then the other carrier will get it in January.

My local sony store said its definitely not coming until end of October. At the latest they said it would be January with AT&T and T-mobile with one of them getting exclusivity till end of the year. Then the other carrier will get it in January.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Cromat

Random question: does water resistance mean resistance to other kinds of liquids?

Because one of the main reasons I might be getting this is to make a prank where I make one of my friends drop my new phone into a pint of beer or something and make them feel really bad about it.

tino

Banned
Random question: does water resistance mean resistance to other kinds of liquids?

Because one of the main reasons I might be getting this is to make a prank where I make one of my friends drop my new phone into a pint of beer or something and make them feel really bad about it.

It would be fine if you wash it afterward.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

It would get sticky but should be fine
I remember seeing a video of the Z being put in acid for a couple of seconds and still working after

just wash it well afterwards.

v1lla21

Come to the US soon pl0x. Hopefully it comes to Verizon. I need a new phone, my droid RAZR had a good run.

Fuck!!! AT&T and T-Mobile only? Well that sucks.

DBT85

There is a video of someone putting his Xperia Z Tablet into a fish tank while it was recording a video. Worked fine. Just make sure your flaps are closed.

Fezan

WmeYCrp.jpg

Looks like only problem with screen is viewing angles. head on its better than AMOLED

Rootbeer

Banned
Screen lottery is worrying, This phone is on my list but i'd only be interested if I got the best possible combination of components. I hate things like this :(

DBT85

Screen lottery is worrying, This phone is on my list but i'd only be interested if I got the best possible combination of components. I hate things like this :(

There are still people arguing about whether there even will be a screen lottery or not or if its only been in pre prodution models.

I'll be taking a very high rez macro shot of my screen to see what pixel arrangement I have. I'll post it once I have it. Anyone else with the ability could do so and we could see if there are any differences.

Still no word from EE, clearly not getting it tomorrow.

Handtec saying they are expecting the black in tomorrow and the white on the 23rd.

Someone on XDA who ordered from O2 now has a tracking number and apparently he will get his tomorrow.

Fezan

looks amazing.

the viewing angle depends on the panel isn't it? because Z Ultra had no problem with it.
i m just in dark as you guys are. best bet would be testing the screen your self in store.
and screen lottery was also a rumor. my be prototypes pre production unit have bad display. etc

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Handtec saying they are expecting the black in tomorrow and the white on the 23rd.
Yesterday handtec was saying they expected it today.

I feel better now that they put the estimate back, because I'm unable to order from them because apparently I've been tripping security stuff for my credit card and it takes a bit until I can buy stuff again.

tino

Banned
There are still people arguing about whether there even will be a screen lottery or not or if its only been in pre prodution models.

I'll be taking a very high rez macro shot of my screen to see what pixel arrangement I have. I'll post it once I have it. Anyone else with the ability could do so and we could see if there are any differences.

Still no word from EE, clearly not getting it tomorrow.

Someone on XDA who ordered from O2 now has a tracking number and apparently he will get his tomorrow.

Somebody in a Chinese forum I go to has already brought the phone (for 4999 rmb), he said the screen is just like the Xperia Z screen.

DBT85

Somebody in a Chinese forum I go to has already brought the phone (for 4999 rmb), he said the screen is just like the Xperia Z screen.

We shall have to see what the rest of the world looks like. I have a friend with a Z so I'll try and compare if I can.

As for pre orders, Clove have apparently received their Black stock and will be shipping today.

I twatted at EE to see if they had theirs or if they had any White delays.

Carphone Warehouse in the UK also now showing In Stock the Purple and White phones, but Back Order on the Black.

So who's getting what freebies? I'm getting the watch.

DBT85

The freebies are only on contract right?
Also, does the phone not come with headphones?

No, you can order form Clove and others and still get the smartwatch and the Sony content offer without needing a contract.

No idea on headphones.

Cromat

I saw it in a store today, the screen looks great and the viewing angles are just fine.

Probably still going to go for the 5S in the end, the switch is just too much of a hassle and I'm not sure about the size. It felt like a great phone though and the watch is pretty nice as well.

SKINNER!

Banned
No, you can order form Clove and others and still get the smartwatch and the Sony content offer without needing a contract.

So glad to read this. Wanted the watch but not the contract. Phones4U weren't interested. Going to order from Clove when I get back from abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom