• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
lots of Japanese companies always release their products locally with more functions and better spec
(or even just release in Japan only)
just like Xperia ZR, it has only 8GB storage build in, but the same Japanese model (Xperia A) has 32GB plus other functions

In that case, I am guessing the international version will have smaller internal storage for the z1 f as well. Hardly a problem though, since it supports sd cards.

Looking at the specs, that's actually a good compromise. If the price is much lower than the Z now, it'll sell well.

£529/€599. Competes with the iPhone 5S.

Will be free on contracts starting at ~£30 per month though for most people. That compares to the Z1 which starts free at £35/m. S4 mini and HTC Half have significantly worse specs and don't have HD screens and start free from around £25/m.

Mario007

Will be free on contracts starting at ~£30 per month though for most people. That compares to the Z1 which starts free at £35/m. S4 mini and HTC Half have significantly worse specs and don't have HD screens and start free from around £25/m.

So this is basically Sony's competitor to an iPhone while the Z1 is a competitor to S4/One/G2?

So I got the Z1 for $660 AUD in the end (on preorder) which is a great price. For comparison's sake, the iPhone 5s is $869 here...I think I did pretty well ;)

Can't wait for my phone.

Kiraly

That Z1 f is absolutely insane.

Ticks off every right box for me personally.

4.3" 720p I find more than enough.

Two things I could have possibly wished for are a larger battery, and (we don't know this yet) a triluminos screen.

Hope it comes out in Europe/NL.

Gav

So I got the Z1 for $660 AUD in the end (on preorder) which is a great price. For comparison's sake, the iPhone 5s is $869 here...I think I did pretty well ;)

Can't wait for my phone.

Sounds like you got a good deal! Enjoy the phone when it arrives, I truly love mine!

JonnyBrad

Is it really a core Android problem or rather a hardware vendor specific implementation problem?
Because I never had it this bad on my previous Xperia from 2011. It ran on Android 4.0 and that should according the various newsposts have it even worse than post-4.1 devices

Audio Latency is a core android problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3kfEeMZ65c

However bad audio hardware can make it worse. They have made strides with 4.3 but they're still miles behind IOS.

longdi

Banned
xperia z1f could be sony real ace in the pocket. i liked what they did with z1 but its too bulky. z1f keeps z1 specs and downgraded the size! a real iphone killer for real?!

i hope sony realizes this and release the z1f asap....keeping it for next year is a waste, a goddamn waste!

JWong

Banned
I wonder how's the battery life with the smaller battery.
4.3 is a good size for me.

I'd still like a new Tablet with the Snapdragon 800.

vivftp

Good day zomg! Back around the start of Setember you had mentioned the final camera firmware for the Z1 being delayed by a bout a month or so. I don't suppose you have any updates on when it's due and what it may entail, do you?

Going to definately pick up a Z1 myself. It's due out mid October in Canada, but I might delay picking it up a wee bit as some friends want to buy it for me for my birthday in November. According to esato forum users it'll be about 3 months after launch where all Z1s will use the higher quality displays and there won't be any more Sharp ones. Based on what you've been saying lately zomg it looks like your sources are saying the same thing. Very hopeful I get a non-Sharp screen.

As I've never owned an Andriod phone I keep wondering about something being mentioned in reviews. So the Z1 has Android version 4.2.2 whereas some phones have the newer 4.3, can't they just update it? What is the process of updating etc?

Radec

As I've never owned an Andriod phone I keep wondering about something being mentioned in reviews. So the Z1 has Android version 4.2.2 whereas some phones have the newer 4.3, can't they just update it? What is the process of updating etc?

Probably Samsung made a deal to get the latest version first after the Nexus brand.

Honestly 4.2.2 to 4.3 isn't really a huge jump.

Tried it for a few days and went back to a 4.2.2 ROM with Sony UI. Much much better than stock imo.

Good day zomg! Back around the start of Setember you had mentioned the final camera firmware for the Z1 being delayed by a bout a month or so. I don't suppose you have any updates on when it's due and what it may entail, do you?

Going to definately pick up a Z1 myself. It's due out mid October in Canada, but I might delay picking it up a wee bit as some friends want to buy it for me for my birthday in November. According to esato forum users it'll be about 3 months after launch where all Z1s will use the higher quality displays and there won't be any more Sharp ones. Based on what you've been saying lately zomg it looks like your sources are saying the same thing. Very hopeful I get a non-Sharp screen.

Will be longer than a month. Lots of internal wrangling between Japan and Sweden about producing a phone with a camera that would outshine pretty much all of Sony's cheaper digital compacts.

There will always be Sharp displays, but the lesser of the two will be exhausted from the supply chain around now and out of the retail channel by the end of this month.

Updating Android is not the same as iOS. OEMs can only really start working on an update once the latest AOSP build has been released, from there it is a 3-4 month process (sometimes longer) to get a fully working release. Remember that companies like Samsung, Sony and others can't do what ROM makers do on XDA and release feature incomplete software full of bugs. The software needs to be tested to ensure there are no bugs and all the features work.

Probably Samsung made a deal to get the latest version first after the Nexus brand.

Honestly 4.2.2 to 4.3 isn't really a huge jump.

Tried it for a few days and went back to a 4.2.2 ROM with Sony UI. Much much better than stock imo.

Only the Google Play Edition of the S4 has 4.3, the regular version is not getting it for a few more weeks. I think the Z/ZL and S4 will all get the 4.3 update around the same time, the Z1 and Z Ultra should get 4.3 around November.

JonnyBrad

Outside of the Nexus/Google Editon Phones the only two phones i can think of with 4.3 are the note 3 and the non carrier edition of the HTC one (which just started its rollout)

The main thing with 4.3 is they fixed most of the MASSIVE FUCK UP they made changing the bluetooth stack in 4.2. Which was not particularly relevant to OEMS as they usually fixed it anyhow.

vivftp

Will be longer than a month. Lots of internal wrangling between Japan and Sweden about producing a phone with a camera that would outshine pretty much all of Sony's cheaper digital compacts.

Thanks for the update. Now I have to wonder just how much better the camera can be with that update. Also wondering if they will add features like 4k and 120 fps recording

Bundy

Banned
Have my "Z1" now AND the "DK31" Docking-Station.
Awesome! So, so awesome!

Hold it in your own hand, play a little bit around with it... and you will fall in love with it.

I just got an LG G2 yesterday, I got it for an outright price of $425+Tax. Kinda felt like a steal at that price to not pull the trigger.

Still unopened and sitting in front of me and I can't make up my mind with the G2/Z1/Nexus 5.

The only reason why I would consider the Nexus 5 is because of the updates.
Z1 for the build quality.
G2 for the display, battery and quite light compared to the Z1.

What do you say GAF?

FPDVAGu.jpg

tino

Banned
I just got an LG G2 yesterday, I got it for an outright price of $425+Tax. Kinda felt like a steal at that price to not pull the trigger.

Still unopened and sitting in front of me and I can't make up my mind with the G2/Z1/Nexus 5.

The only reason why I would consider the Nexus 5 is because of the updates.
Z1 for the build quality.
G2 for the display, battery and quite light compared to the Z1.

What do you say GAF?

Can you tell me where can a brother get a G2 for that cheap? If you don't want the G2 I can take it off your hand. ;)

Can you tell me where can a brother get a G2 for that cheap? If you don't want the G2 I can take it off your hand. ;)

One of the retailers made a pricing mistake and I pulled the trigger. I got it shipped. However after taxes and all, I should be getting it for around $475 I think.

tino

Banned
One of the retailers made a pricing mistake and I pulled the trigger. I got it shipped. However after taxes and all, I should be getting it for around $475 I think.

OK I see. I saw a mint purple Xperia Z later today so I pulled the trigger.

Thats it. I am out of the new phone chasing game for now. May consider something else next year.

Oshimai

Can be bought unlocked from the Sony Store, no?

How's the antenna/radio performance on Sony phones? Right now I'm trying to choose between Moto X and the Z1, and radio performance is key here. Price is irrelevant...

Couldn't tell you about the radio performance. Not a single Youtube review I've seen has mentioned anything about the Z1 radio.

You'll probably be able to purchase the Z1 from a Sony Store when it comes out. They have a pre-registration option on their website: http://www.sonymobile.com/ca-en/products/phones/xperia-z1/

Right now I'm trying to decide between an S4 and the Z1. Leaning towards a Z1 mainly because the build quality, the material used for the exterior and I love the sharp edges of the Xperia phones. However, I'm a fan of that AMOLED screen on the S4...

spats

Well, I just sacrificed my lunch break and walked into an electronics store and bought the Z1 for an eye-watering price of 685 euros. I don't feel horrible about pissing my money away like that... yet. I'm waiting for it to sink in.

Anyway, the device is absolutely beautiful. The best feeling handset I've ever held, no question. Waiting for it to charge for a bit before I start playing around with it properly.

DBT85

Have my "Z1" now AND the "DK31" Docking-Station.
Awesome! So, so awesome!

Hold it in your own hand, play a little bit around with it... and you will fall in love with it.

If you want you can also pick up magnetic charging leads so you never have to open your flaps. You can even just remove the lead from your dock if you so wanted. it comes apart quite easily by all accounts.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah, I picked up a magnetic cable too. Thought I'd get away with using just the normal usb cable but I know I'll rip off that flimsy flap one of these days. My goodness does this phone feel great in the hand and when making/receiving calls. Probably common knowledge to you phone experts here but I managed to fit a Roxfit anti-fingerprint screen protector on it and it's doing its job very well but the cover kinda makes the display a little cloudy. If anyone's looking for a screen protector and still wants a decent display to go with it then I wouldn't recommend the Roxfit one. On the other hand, I do recommend the Roxfit gel case. Got a clear back and it fits pretty well. Oh, and decided to download Crazy Taxi and discovered that it's running a little faster than usual ha.

P.S. I don't work for Roxfit :p

vivftp

Just saw the case Sony released for the Z Ultra which doubles the battery life:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/10/0...s-like-a-must-have-for-xperia-z-ultra-owners/

Very hopeful they have a similar case coming out for the Z1. Sure it'd make the phone a lot thicker, but the prospect of double battery life, added protection from drops and built in stand are too much to overlook.

BTW, I wonder what Sonys justification is for not at least offering variants of the Z1 larger than 16 gigs outside of Japan. I keep looking at that new ZX1 Walkman they announced and dream about the prospect of a Z1 with 128 gigs of internal memory. I know such a phone would be stupidly expensive, but damnit I'd pay for it!

Ah well, hopefully Sony starts to offer more capacities starting next year. While I don't think we've heard anything on the subject yet, it would be a cool surprise if they at least offered a 32 gig variant in North America. Guessing that won't happen though :(

November can't come quickly enough! I'm read to kick my x10a to the curb :)

JWong

Banned

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/10/0...s-like-a-must-have-for-xperia-z-ultra-owners/

Very hopeful they have a similar case coming out for the Z1. Sure it'd make the phone a lot thicker, but the prospect of double battery life, added protection from drops and built in stand are too much to overlook.

BTW, I wonder what Sonys justification is for not at least offering variants of the Z1 larger than 16 gigs outside of Japan. I keep looking at that new ZX1 Walkman they announced and dream about the prospect of a Z1 with 128 gigs of internal memory. I know such a phone would be stupidly expensive, but damnit I'd pay for it!

Ah well, hopefully Sony starts to offer more capacities starting next year. While I don't think we've heard anything on the subject yet, it would be a cool surprise if they at least offered a 32 gig variant in North America. Guessing that won't happen though :(

Whoa that's a nice case.

Sarcasm

This is great news! Cause I am buying a Z Ultra when the new phones come out (I think that already happened here in Taiwan).

darkwing

woah, this is ingenious , is the cover itself water resistant?

neo2046

deleted
(the video has been removed, it seems the the video should not be released before Z1f's announcement LOL )

Goddamn the Lime is kind of hot. Of course, I'm totally expecting these things to stay in fucking Japan just like the Xperia SX.

sunnz

Bite the bullet and brought it.

So far, pretty damn awesome.
Love the feel of it a lot ( especailly after holding the S4)
Camera features are pretty awesome as well as the camera!

Just not a fan of the speaker placement.

I had the original suspicion that Z/ZL panels are being reused confirmed from someone who works in the supply chain. Sony have around 600k of older panels remaining on their order book and don't expect to sell anywhere near that amount of Z/ZLs over the coming months so they only way to use them was to filter them out into the new Z1. Poor decision IMO because they are also using AMVA and AH-IPS panels as well which are amazing. Around 4/10 phones in the original C6902 shipment are made using the older panel and around 2/10 in the C6903, the US C6906 will not have any of the older panel.

It also makes me suspicious over the triluminous branding being anything more than a software based calibration because adapting the older panels for the tech (changing the backlight and adding a resin layer) seems like a costly move and this was done to cut costs so it doesn't make much sense.

I really hope this is the last time Sony has a panel lottery, I don't like the idea of someone paying £599 for a phone that comes with parts harvested from the Z/ZL supply chain, especially when the phone being bought is supposed to have righted the wrongs of the other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom