• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z4 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

Welp, disappointing. What phone am I going to get this year Sony?! I really, really don't want to return to Samsung.

MercuryLS

Banned
Don't see all the hate, looks pretty stunning to me.

Sony still nail gorgeous high-end design in a way Samsung can only dream of.

what? The S6 is way nicer than any xperia design. Look at those massive bezels and on screen buttons, just stupid.

jamsy

Yeah, pretty disappointed. Looks the same and we do get what, a better selfie camera and another gig of RAM?

I'm gonna need a new phone soon (my Note 2 is definitely having some issues after 2.5 years, possibly because I keep dropping it) and was really looking forward to the Z4/Z4C but eh, pretty underwhelming stuff.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Don't see all the hate, looks pretty stunning to me.

Sony still nail gorgeous high-end design in a way Samsung can only dream of.

After handling a Galaxy S6... everything Sony looks really freaking dated.

The UI in particular reeks of the mid 00's. Sony needs to update its visual layer ASAP.

leng jai

The advancements in design (or lack thereof) since the Z2 have been very disappointing. The phone is literally a rectangle slab with huge bezels. The HTC One and new Samsung Edge look much nicer.

Looks a little disappointing, if I'm honest.

Still 1080p?

The only upgrade here really is the processor. That's all. And the Z3 is already wicked fast.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Don't fix what ain't broke.

The Z1 has been the best phone I've owned. Z4 will probably be my upgrade.

Funny, since Sony Mobile is pretty much broke as a joke.

They need to do something else than launching slightly updated iterations of the same phones over and over again.

Ban Puncher

Funny, since Sony Mobile is pretty much broke as a joke.

They need to do something else than launching slightly updated iterations of the same phones over and over again.

They could do with better advertising. Or any advertising.

The only people I know who have Xperia Z's are the ones I've shown mine to and explained how shit-hot of a phone it is.

gogogow

So Sony went back to the design of the Z2? It's exactly the same phone down to the speaker grills, but with a newer SoC and smaller battery. Feels like I just got a new phone lol.

eFKac

Just got my Xperia Z3 last week, after a over a year on a Xperia Z, so Z4 doesn't fit into my cycle.
Seems not a big upgrade over a Z3, so I will gladly wait for Z5.

Rosur

Looks a little disappointing, if I'm honest.

Still 1080p?

The only upgrade here really is the processor. That's all. And the Z3 is already wicked fast.

Yea love my Z3. if Sony is still making phones the Z6/7 will be my upgrade and their still as good as now.

longdi

Banned
After handling a Galaxy S6... everything Sony looks really freaking dated.

The UI in particular reeks of the mid 00's. Sony needs to update its visual layer ASAP.

Disagree mate. Compare Sony album vs Samsung gallery, and you tell me Sony ui is old...

Same thing with the movies, music, dialler, notification, settings. Samsung ui looks guady.

Disagree mate. Compare Sony album vs Samsung gallery, and you tell me Sony ui is old...

Same thing with the movies, music, dialler, notification, settings. Samsung ui looks guady.

Yeah especially on 5.0... Sony's software is incredibly modern looking.

longdi

Banned
So Sony went back to the design of the Z2? It's exactly the same phone down to the speaker grills, but with a newer SoC and smaller battery. Feels like I just got a new phone lol.

Looks like a slimmer Z2, but with poorer battery on a SD 810....what a way to go out of biz.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

All day any day. The latest TouchWiz is actually GOOD.

Yeah especially on 5.0... Sony's software is incredibly modern looking.

It looks stuck in the late PS3 era. Which is kind of a step up if you consider that the PS3 was still straight up in early PS3-land. Way too much simmering and senseless overlays.

Hesemonni

Banned
Looks like a slimmer Z2, but with poorer battery on a SD 810....what a way to go out of biz.
Yeah :/

Not that I'm likely to ever own one. The Xperia line has held its retail price incredibly well and thus I've never quite had the chance to buy one.

Releasing a new flagship every six months is just silly. Especially since modern mobile devices aren't hindered by hardware. It's the software that needs improving, in stability and efficiency.

Well, batteries could do with a boost, but actively hunting processing power and accepting a one day cycle isn't helping.

kharma45

So a spec bump of a spec bump. Sony's really pushed themselves with this one.

S6 still the king, and I'm not surprised. Didn't expect Sony to produce anything worth considering.

I'll never get a Samsung device as long as they put physical buttons on all their models. Give me a clean bezel with on-screen buttons any day.

That being said the Z4 is a disappointment coming from a Z3 owner. Only thing of note is the additional RAM, but not worth upgrading if you already have a Z3.

waypoetic

Banned
I was hoping they'd make more noticable differences to the design of the Z4. I've got the Z2 and this looks just like it. I know, i know, the hardware is better but i'm not freakin gaming on my phone so i couldn't care less if it's 4 seconds faster or can handle beefier games or whatever.

I wish both Sony and Apple could make their phones a lot more exciting to look at..

Lazlo

As a Z1 owner I was looking for a big jump for the Z4 to make me consider getting it. I guess I'll have to wait until the Z5

kharma45

I'll never get a Samsung device as long as they put physical buttons on all their models. Give me a clean bezel with on-screen buttons any day.

That being said the Z4 is a disappointment coming from a Z3 owner. Only thing of note is the additional RAM, but not worth upgrading if you already have a Z3.

So you'd rather have the huge Sony bezel? The physical buttons on Samsung prove useful (double tap to launch camera) and the bezel on the S6 is small. Also doubles as their now very good fingerprint reader on the S6. I've seen nothing but praise for it.

There's only one phone that springs to mind that has on-screen buttons and a small bezel, the Nexus 6.

longdi

Banned
Sony ui is close to lolipop design so I'm not sure if people dislike that. Look at Sony notification drawer, much sexy and simple. And unlike s6 gallery, Sony album navigation is fast even on a sd801 and emmc storage. I have a note4 and I much prefer Sony ui over the gaudy circles and color scheme

With z2 lollipop, I can touch the battery/wifi icon to go straight to their settimgs. I can rearrange the notification drawer icons order. I can also rearrange apps order in the drawer. Can't do that with note 4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so much hypebole. Sony's UI isn't horrible, and you can alwasy put on something like nova launcher and replace the icons. Touch Wiz has been the target for bile and hatred for years - this year they tone it down a bit and suddenly they're the darling of android UI?

The phone itself looks great, but not massively more than other phones IMO. Basic glass front and back just like the Z3/4 and even back to things like the nexus. And battery isn't great.

The real looker is the edge, so maybe that halo is rubbing off on the standard S6?

So you'd rather have the huge Sony bezel? The physical buttons on Samsung prove useful (double tap to launch camera) and the bezel on the S6 is small. Also doubles as their now very good fingerprint reader on the S6. I've seen nothing but praise for it.

There's only one phone that springs to mind that has on-screen buttons and a small bezel, the Nexus 6.

Never said I wanted the huge bezel. I just hate physical buttons since it clashes with my minimalistic fetish. That's why I was hoping for the Z4 Ultra if the rumored design was true. That being said the Nexus 6 isn't waterproof which was the dealbreaker between choosing that and the Z3.

There is no additional RAM. Both the Z3 and Z4 have 3GB.

longdi

Banned
Another battery downgrade. Just lol

No mention of godly battery life in their PR..I hope Z4 release is just to satisfy the Japanese carriers...it looks like m9 flop in waiting in Sony skin. :(

I don't mind the specs bump and replacing the z2/3. I mean if u need a new phone in May, you may as well buy the faster specs one. But not at the expense of battery life...i couldnt go back to charging in the middle of the day

Theonik

Those "thin"- wars are more pointless than the resolution ones, and that is saying something.
I can actually notice the density bump from my iPhone 4S retina to my Xperia Z1 1080p 5" (326 vs 441ppi) It's pretty glaring. Higher? Probably not. It's a sweet-spot for now in phones unless you are doing OLED maybe.

The thin wars are really pointless now. I can't think of why you'd want a phone thinner than an iPhone 4S and certainly not a Z1 not at the expense of battery and in the case of the iPhone 5/5P at the expense of an ugly camera sticking out.

So yeah I agree.

Maximo

Really do hope Sony continues making phones I really am in love with my Z2. Such a non ugly mobile compared to so many, plus the waterproofing has actually saved it a few times. The fuck Waterproofing isn't a standard these days just blows my god dam mind.
In regards to the Z4 it's not worth it, the 6 monthly releases are not worth it, if they do continue to make more I'll assume the Z5 is going to be alot better.

I have a Z1, the form factor is perfect and I don't see any reason for sony to change it.

At the moment all I want to see is improved battery life when using as an ebook reader with high brightness, which I guess is a combination of screen/battery tech

Orbis

The best news is that the Z3 and Z3 Compact will now be cheaper. I have the compact and it's by far the best phone I've ever owned. Battery life is exceptional, performance is great, it has a microSD slot, it's waterproof, 720p is plenty for the smaller screen size, 1080 would've just sucked battery for the sake of spec wars.

Oersted

I can actually notice the density bump from my iPhone 4S retina to my Xperia Z1 1080p 5" (326 vs 441ppi) It's pretty glaring. Higher? Probably not. It's a sweet-spot for now in phones unless you are doing OLED maybe.

The thin wars are really pointless now. I can't think of why you'd want a phone thinner than an iPhone 4S and certainly not a Z1 not at the expense of battery and in the case of the iPhone 5/5P at the expense of an ugly camera sticking out.

So yeah I agree.

Its the combination of increased specs, while batteries are getting downgraded. It feels like they (they as in the smartphone manufacturers) are building their phones less and less for the customer and more and more to outspec/outthin their competition.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Another battery downgrade. Just lol

As long as their software is optimized enough to offer sufficient battery it doesn't matter.

Z3 and Z3C both have terrific battery and the power management settings works wonders.

Theonik

Its the combination of increased specs, while batteries are getting downgraded. It feels like they (they as in the smartphone manufacturers) are building their phones less and less for the customer and more and more to outspec/outthin their competition.
Oh I know, well, the spec-bumps have been more or less energy neutral but the real issue is making the batteries thinner. The other problem is that mobile parts are stagnating once again and the bigger benefits you get now are in power management which typically means turning off your phone in creative ways, when this isn't possible, you feel the full burn of the smaller battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom