• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z4 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the S6 is very good, but I am also trying to find something other than that, or else I know my brother would stay on his S4 by the time our upgrade shows up in July. It may not be the Z4, but just something... maybe the G4.

The GS5 is pretty good, It's waterproof and comes in Gold. I have the Gold one and it looks very pretty, the back cover isn't a fingerprint magnet which is nice.

LG G3 has a slightly angular shape and is instantly recognizable. Also it very small for how big the screen is.

Theonik

Samsung's Galaxy S6 is doing something fairly radical with its Edge version, plus both models actually feel premium for a change. LG's G4 also feels fresh on account of its unusual button placement and it will also be offered with a leather backplate, adding further differentiation.

The next big thing is smaller edges/bezels, which is a crock of shit IMO, as shown by the gorgeous but not very usable Galaxy S6 Edge.
I don't get what you are trying to say, so in the same post you call out Sony for being unimaginative then you point out what the current trend is, then you admit it's dumb as shit.
Doesn't this mean Sony is actually doing what is right for providing consumers with better devices even if they don't realise? (I don't know about you but I don't really have a vested interest in Sony's business performance so I couldn't care less beyond whether they make phones I want or not)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't get what you are trying to say, so in the same post you call out Sony for being unimaginative then you point out what the current trend is, then you admit it's dumb as shit.
Doesn't this mean Sony is actually doing what is right for providing consumers with better devices even if they don't realise? (I don't know about you but I don't really have a vested interest in Sony's business performance so I couldn't care less beyond whether they make phones I want or not)

Well, you can do much more than just reducing the size of said bezels, even if that particular trend is BS.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 uses an excellent fingerprint reader to unlock the phone and some advanced biometrics for the sportier consumers on top of a genuinely premium build quality, wireless charging and what probably is the best Android camera out there, with brilliant image quality and speed. And even if the curved screen of the Edge version is a gimmick (just get the flat version instead), it offers unparalled image quality. Jaws drop as soon as you turn it on. It is that impressive.

LG's will also offer a beastly camera, probably on par or close to Samsung's. It will also be fairly unique in terms of design and materials, offer a best in class LCD display and some niceties not included in the Galaxy S6, such as a microSD reader. Even if it's less revolutionary than the Galaxy S6, it's still a rather unique looking phone with lots to offer.

Sony's Xperia Z4 is just more of the same. It may have some unusual features such as dust and water protection, but it's doing absolutely nothing new. And being a Sony smartphone, you can bet that the screen is not going to be anything spectacular nor the camera is going to be competitive in a segment that is aiming incredibly high this days.

Flagship devices are meant to grab your attention, and the Xperia Z4 has nothing going in that sense. It's a good phone and it will probably have a better than average battery (the Z3 was particularly great in that sense), but that's about it. It's just not exciting.

It's the Galaxy S4 debacle all over again, only that Sony is in a much more difficult place than Samsung's.

Zalusithix

Well, you can do much more than just reducing the size of said bezels, even if that particular trend is BS.

Samsung's Galaxy S6 uses an excellent fingerprint reader to unlock the phone and some advanced biometrics for the sportier consumers on top of a genuinely premium build quality, wireless charging and what probably is the best Android camera out there, with brilliant image quality and speed. And even if the curved screen of the Edge version is a gimmick (just get the flat version instead), it offers unparalled image quality. Jaws drop as soon as you turn it on. It is that impressive.

LG's will also offer a beastly camera, probably on par or close to Samsung's. It will also be fairly unique in terms of design and materials, offer a best in class LCD display and some niceties not included in the Galaxy S6, such as a microSD reader. Even if it's less revolutionary than the Galaxy S6, it's still a rather unique looking phone with lots to offer.

Sony's Xperia Z4 is just more of the same. It may have some unusual features such as dust and water protection, but it's doing absolutely nothing new. And being a Sony smartphone, you can bet that the screen is not going to be anything spectacular nor the camera is going to be competitive in a segment that is aiming incredibly high this days.

Flagship devices are meant to grab your attention, and the Xperia Z4 has nothing going in that sense. It's a good phone and it will probably have a better than average battery (the Z3 was particularly great in that sense), but that's about it. It's just not exciting.

It's the Galaxy S4 debacle all over again, only that Sony is in a much more difficult place than Samsung's.
I haven't kept up on the quality of the cameras in their phones, but if they are indeed mediocre, then it's pretty sad. I mean Sony makes some of the best damned camera sensors out there and they're not exactly lacking on the glass experience either.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I haven't kept up on the quality of the cameras in their phones, but if they are indeed mediocre, then it's pretty sad. I mean Sony makes some of the best damned camera sensors out there and they're not exactly lacking on the glass experienced either.

They aren't bad, but the bar has been raised to crazy levels during the past few years. I think much of the blame comes to Sony's aggressive postprocessing. The problem is that "nice" is not cutting it when you are trying to sell a phone that costs €600 or wherabouts.

The funny thing is, Sony is making some real coin selling Exmor sensors to the same Chinese phone makers that are aping their global sales with their medium-to-high range models. Which is the reason why Sony plans to invest more cash in that particular market; even if their phone division folds or gets sold, they'll still be making some hard cash from sensor sales.

Theonik

I haven't kept up on the quality of the cameras in their phones, but if they are indeed mediocre, then it's pretty sad. I mean Sony makes some of the best damned camera sensors out there and they're not exactly lacking on the glass experience either.
Sony's problem is their camera software is pants. The sensors they sport on their phones are pretty good. Also since the Z1 came out the bar has been raised quite a lot in other parts of the phone. Sony hasn't really made any huge moves in that direction but this will change when the real refresh happens in September in all likelihood.

Well, I wouldn't really put much weight for many of the things you mentioned, I also disagree with the notion that a flagship needs to be flashy. You are correct in that it needs to be a showcase of what the manufacturer can do but making one very solid phone. But, of course, as has been pointed out in this thread already the Z4 isn't meant to be Sony's next true flagship. It's a refresh and currently JP only. The true refresh will come in September which if leaks are correct will match all that and then some. Z1 was about 2 years ago and it makes sense to try and squeeze as much profit as possible from it especially for an extremely well received device as the Z1.

vivftp

As a Sony fan, I admit I'm a bit underwhelmed by this Z4 phone. I read this article though that makes a great point:

http://www.androidauthority.com/xperia-z4-japan-602570/

The Z4 has only been announced for Japan, at a time when Sony NEEDS a phone to push in Japan to combat the likes of the Galaxy S6 that's about to come out. It seems like a stop-gap measure.

I'm interested in these newer rumours talking about the true flagship phone. Coupled with other rumours we've been hearing and I think it's worth waiting to see what they have up their sleeves. Only thing is some sources say we'll find out in May, and others indicate Fall. Whatever's next, there damned well better be a new Ultra variant phone in there cause I want to upgrade dag nabbit!

Laekon

Cameras are all about software right now. Sure lenses matter on a dslr but even software can take care of many issues that cheap lenses cause.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
By the time US gets an Xperia phone, then another one has already been released. Now this is stupid and no wonder their sales are in tank.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
As a Sony fan, I admit I'm a bit underwhelmed by this Z4 phone. I read this article though that makes a great point:

http://www.androidauthority.com/xperia-z4-japan-602570/

The Z4 has only been announced for Japan, at a time when Sony NEEDS a phone to push in Japan to combat the likes of the Galaxy S6 that's about to come out. It seems like a stop-gap measure.

I'm interested in these newer rumours talking about the true flagship phone. Coupled with other rumours we've been hearing and I think it's worth waiting to see what they have up their sleeves. Only thing is some sources say we'll find out in May, and others indicate Fall. Whatever's next, there damned well better be a new Ultra variant phone in there cause I want to upgrade dag nabbit!

Fine, I'll wait until mid May for the announcement and then determine whether or not their new phone is worth it. I really want to upgrade my Galaxy Chat :( Three or four years with it has driven my crazy. The wait is unbearable! I was honestly prepared for going for the Z3 this Thursday.

longdi

Banned
Sony disappointment lies in their hardware of their flagships, I agree. And they should not hide behind the excuse they had been dealt a poor hand in the sd810. Something like equipping the z4 with 3500mah batt would have helped.

Software ui, Sony is really stock Android with a touch of PS. Sony media apps actually looks and works like modern media players. Don't get how anyone can dislike this http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=912917&page=100000

Sony 5.0.2 may be lttp, but it incorporates many 5.1 features that s6 don't , such as direct access to the menus by tapping the notification icons.

Much prefer Sony understated UI that contains useful little functions over Samsung bold TW with in your face features. :D

leng jai

Not sure why anyone would complain about the Sony UI. It's pretty minimal, as it should since the whole point of Android is running a custom launcher and setting it as you please. Touchwiz in comparison is simply awful.

Theonik

As a heads up, it seems that Sony has finally started updating the Z1 to Lollipop or at least I got it today.

MercuryLS

Banned
My biggest issue with the Omibalance design is that it's too blocky around the corners, especially as you get into larger sized phones like the Z3 (it's not so bad with the Z3C). I like the small small bezels on the Z3C, it makes the lack of physical buttons better but the ones of the Z3 are huge and useless. For a 5.2" phone it feels quite large in the hand, the S6 has a .1" smaller screen but it feels way more compact and comfortable. Sony needs to a complete design overhaul, Omnibalance isn't bad but the competition is doing a batter job (Samsung has the glass sandwich phone with the S6).

Elitist1945

My biggest issue with the Omibalance design is that it's too blocky around the corners, especially as you get into larger sized phones like the Z3 (it's not so bad with the Z3C). I like the small small bezels on the Z3C, it makes the lack of physical buttons better but the ones of the Z3 are huge and useless. For a 5.2" phone it feels quite large in the hand, the S6 has a .1" smaller screen but it feels way more compact and comfortable. Sony needs to a complete design overhaul, Omnibalance isn't bad but the competition is doing a batter job (Samsung has the glass sandwich phone with the S6).

It's probably to do with the front speakers.

Brinbe

Bleh... pretty disappointed in all the new flagship offerings this year so far. Still rocking the Nexus 4 for now.

Kordelle

Never again.
I have an Xperia Z (without Number), it gets hot, it hangs up frequently, loses connection, also all the water indicators have turned red for no reason so I cant even send it in.
and yeah that "waterproof"... I once had it in the bag of my jacket when it was raining and it went completely wet inside the cam. Luckily it dried out again after some dozens of hours. (that was after the indicators had already turned red)

BlazinAm

Didn't the z3 come out like two months ago?

October in the US and internationally late summer. A spec update is fine for right now. Sony is always making something in the mobile market so I assume that there will a higher end version with a better screen and battery life, that one will probably be larger phone as well.

I think it looks uglier than the Z3, to be honest. The Z3 is pretty beautiful.
The mic/speaker holes have moved... the front camera has swapped sides with the proximity sensor... the Sony logo has moved up about 2mm... and the gaps might be maybe... 0.1mm bigger on the frame corners?

Radec

gsmarena_001.jpg

why can't sony just use this kind of bezel (and remove the useless bottom part) on their flagship

vivftp

gsmarena_001.jpg

why can't sony just use this kind of bezel (and remove the useless bottom part) on their flagship

I would imagine because minimizing the top and bottom bezel means a significantly thicker device. The internal volume that's being filled with everything from the battery to stereo speakers to the larger than normal camera has to be redistributed someow, so thicker would be the only option if the bezels were practically non-existant.

vivftp

I thought this wasn't the flagship and will be exclusive to Japan. Was that debunked?

No official word on it coming to other countries, so it's still up in the air. Some online sources were saying something else was coming for the international community in May, and others were saying September.

I find it hard to believe that Sony P2 rumor. the front camera is that close to the screen? Thicker when the current Sony trend is to go thinner (at the expense of certain stuffs like the battery?)?

I'll gladly eat crow if that materializes but it looks like a fanboy's dream. Xperia Z4 meanwhile wont cater to me with the often rumored overheating 810 SoC + smaller battery. Guess I have to settle with a Z3 when I upgrade later this year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I find it hard to believe that Sony P2 rumor. the front camera is that close to the screen? Thicker when the current Sony trend is to go thinner (at the expense of certain stuffs like the battery?)?

I'll gladly eat crow if that materializes but it looks like a fanboy's dream. Xperia Z4 meanwhile wont cater to me with the often rumored overheating 810 SoC + smaller battery. Guess I have to settle with a Z3 when I upgrade later this year.

The P would suggested a different category for Sony than their flagship. Thicker, significantly bigger battery but lower resolution camera would be very different from the Z range.

Ploid 3.0

Thinner and still has a glass panel on the back? I was loving my Z3 until I dropped my phone from couch level (2ft.) and the rear glass panel shattered. The waterproofing is now useless.

Who knows how durable the Z4 will be.

I was wondering how resilient the glass was but this makes me want to wrap my Z3v in a pillow :(

Theonik

I was wondering how resilient the glass was but this makes me want to wrap my Z3v in a pillow :(
All glass will shatter if it is hit with a certain amount of force in a certain angle. To this day I have not had a phone screen shatter out of several drops on any of my devices but know people who drop their phones from 30cm and they shatter.
Not worth worrying imo, enjoy life, if it breaks it's broken *shrug*

longdi

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RC-h4yWkAQ
Performs like Z2/Z3

Downgradeton battery
Code:
Z2
3200 mAh minimum
Talk time: up to 19 hours***
Standby time: up to 740 hours***
Music listening time: Up to 120 hours***