• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z4 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

northead

This somehow manages to be more underwhelming, useless and boring than the Z2.
I sincerely wonder what in the blue hell are people at Sony thinking.

Mindwipe

I think this is probably a holding pattern phone. There's no point doing anything bold and then putting a Snapdragon 810 in it, because that's a lemon. So I imagine anything worthwhile is being saved until the gen after.

I want to hear more about if Sony has made the camera better by fixing the post processing than anything. I tried the S6 the other day and it knocks socks off the Z3's camera.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not practical unless they make the lens assembly larger, ie thicker. The Lumia that had proper mechanical OIS had to have a pretty substantial camera to accommodate it.

All high end Lumias have proper OIS. You may be thinking on the 1020, which had a huge lump on its backside to accommodate an equally massive 40 megapixel sensor. But that was (and still is) a beast of a camera. The 830 is relatively thin yet it has OIS.

Of course, OIS is still going to fly out of the window if you aim for a >7mm device.

Theonik

This somehow manages to be more underwhelming, useless and boring than the Z2.
I sincerely wonder what in the blue hell are people at Sony thinking.
With the Z2, Sony decided to do 2 flagships per year rather than their previous 1 per year cycle.
This was to keep up with other makes that refresh every 6 months. In essence this means they only do a major overhaul on the September phones which will be the Z5 but at the same time Sony only does really big changes every couple of years. (gives them more time to bleed less money)

Edit:
All high end Lumias have proper OIS. You may be thinking on the 1020, which had a huge lump on its backside to accommodate an equally massive 40 megapixel sensor. But that was (and still is) a beast of a camera. The 830 is relatively thin yet it has OIS.

Of course, OIS is still going to fly out of the window if you aim for a >7mm device.
Yes I was thinking of the 1020 in particular. The backside wasn't so much the sensor though the sensor was larger and so requires a wider lens too, it was a thicker lens and overal camera assembly that necessitated it.
Now, Sony could do OIS, but it would require them to go thicker or perhaps compromise batteries, neither are things Sony wants at the moment, the former of which I think is a very silly trend in the phone industry, the later of which is understandable. The Z1 was a very balanced and well received phone so it makes sense Sony is milking it as much as they can with their phone division bleeding money as it is. The Z5 is probably going to mix things up though.

Skittles

Instead of releasing 2 phones a year, they need to just make more phones with different bands. They must put their phones on more than a couple of carriers if they ever hope to catch on.

Gav

Slightly disappointed, as i was waiting for the Z4 to upgrade to from my Z1.

What do we think of the Vizileaks account on Twitter, he has been tweeting about the Z4 for a few days:

Sony's going all metal with the #Z4. Iconic power button getting a refresh too with a built in touch finger print sensor. Out September.

The Sony mobile device to be launched in Q4 this year is the main flagship, which will have flagship specs. Flagships never 'quietly launch'

Last minute changes to names of products are not uncommon. They've decided to market this with a flagship name to increase profitability.

https://twitter.com/vizileaks

HigXx

The Z4 has only been announced in Japan as far as Im aware. This is definitely not their new flagship for this year

RuGalz

microSD and 1080p screen instead of stupid high resolution on small screen for no reason? At least some manufactures still make sense. Maybe this phone will run faster and cooler than all the other SD810 phones with less throttling, lol.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This obviously isn't the true flagship for 2015 - but it's still a half assed effort.

/Shrug. whatever Sony

XavandSo

Neo Member
Sigh, it looks no different to the Z3 and even Z2 before it. Sony really have to stop the new flagship every six months. In my anecdotal experience, it's actually quite toxic for them. My friends like their phones; but why bother buying a Z4 now, when in September the Z5 will come out?

I'll stick with my Xperia Play for another year I suppose.

Busty

Banned
If I could get one of the Z Compacts cheap I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

I've really grown to love Sony's high end Xperia models recently.

But I'm just getting my Z3 now.

Knowing Sony they'll probably release the Z5 next Thursday so I wouldn't worry about it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm on the market for good [second hand & cheaper] Android phone. Z3 and Z3C are currently placed high on my wishlist.

liquidtmd

Banned
Would have recommended but just had a mare of a time with the Z3C

Glass cracked after overheating when I was using it one night. I pressed on the hairline fracture and the screen cracked further within 2 and half weeks of purchase. Sent back to O2 - they wanted £85 to repair it. I refused. They advised to send to Sony. Sony took it and wanted £108 saying "It wouldn't have happened that way".

Loyal Sony supporter, never had any issues previously. Refused their offer registering my disgust and then they said "We want £21 to return the now broken phone back to you". Escalated that, saying at no point did the original agent say about a return charge. Waiting to hear back to as to whether my escalation is getting the return fee waivered.

When I get it back I'll just bite the bullet and cover it on my insurance but I'm disgusted. I treat my phones exceptionally well and subjected it to no force or pressure. I'm in the UK.

Buyer beware with the Xperias as I'm reading I am not alone.

Hasney

Why does the battery keep shrinking?

Z2: 3200mAh
Z3: 3100mAh
Z4: 2940mAh

Not sure between the Z2 and Z3 (although the efficiency on the Z3 more than made up for it), but I wouldn't be shocked if the reason for the Z4 was to give the 810 more room to breathe. It needs it.

Harmen

I own the Z3 and think it is an awesome phone. Using it for about 5 months now and have yet to discover something that displeases me (which is a first in my history of phones). Z4 building further on that model is not a bad thing imo.

It is logical Sony wants to push out these things at a faster rate, since it can be useful for marketing purposes to eventually match the numbers Samsung and Apple are in (6).

Faustek

I have a Z1, the form factor is perfect and I don't see any reason for sony to change it.

At the moment all I want to see is improved battery life when using as an ebook reader with high brightness, which I guess is a combination of screen/battery tech

The Z1 was a monster.

A few jumps without a parachute.
Many "oops" I dropped it moments. All kinds of surfaces, asphalt and marmor stairs being popular.
Tons of "imma play with uncas phone in the wettest most violent ways"
And finally a toilet visit cracked the sucker open and down in the water with its Outer shell open. It died but woke up after 3 days in a bag of rice but by then I had already bought a Z3 so I gave it away.

Only phone that have managed to survive that much punishment was my old 3310 Nokia.

Edit: when I think about it my S2 was durable as hell as well.

I've always been a fan of the Z series. Sadly, the C never came to Verizon. If there ever would be a reason for me to jump ship to T-Mobile, it would be a U.S. Z4C release.

MercuryLS

Banned

Glass cracked after overheating when I was using it one night. I pressed on the hairline fracture and the screen cracked further within 2 and half weeks of purchase. Sent back to O2 - they wanted £85 to repair it. I refused. They advised to send to Sony. Sony took it and wanted £108 saying "It wouldn't have happened that way".

Loyal Sony supporter, never had any issues previously. Refused their offer registering my disgust and then they said "We want £21 to return the now broken phone back to you". Escalated that, saying at no point did the original agent say about a return charge. Waiting to hear back to as to whether my escalation is getting the return fee waivered.

When I get it back I'll just bite the bullet and cover it on my insurance but I'm disgusted. I treat my phones exceptionally well and subjected it to no force or pressure. I'm in the UK.

The horror stories on the glass randomly cracking on the z3c is why I ultimately never bought one. I'm glad I didn't ad the s6 edge is amazing.

jooso

I'd rather have a 1 mm thicker phone with more battery. Such an awful trend and it seems every phone manufacturer is doing it.

Looks exactly the same as the previous version. Good luck to Sony trying to get the carriers to buy the same phone with a different name. At least Samsung has shrunken the bezel size with each Galaxy S release.

liquidtmd

Banned
The horror stories on the glass randomly cracking on the z3c is why I ultimately never bought one. I'm glad I didn't ad the s6 edge is amazing.

Indeed. And before this incident I'd be one of the guys to read my post and say 'Well it's not happened to me yet' *knock on wood*

Now it's happened to me and the response I've had from Sony absolutely sucks. I'm rational enough to say you may get lucky or the Z4 may be different, but it's soured me from the brand that's for sure and now I'm concerned even when fixed / given a replacement on insurance I'm going to be spending the next 2 years of my contract staring down the same issue.

Matriox

Soo... I was waiting for this announcement before I pulled a trigger on an xperia phone and turns out it seems people are disappointed in this. I'm switching to T-Mobile here soon and it seems like these changes aren't worth the additional money.

Hasney

Yeah, I heard about that. Them having customer service as bad as Samsung in the UK is a double kick in the teeth.

God, I really wish Sony and Sprint would come to an agreement and finally put their phones on the carrier. I want to try and experience how awesome these phones are.

I have had some issues with Xperias but luckily nothing that wasn’t fixed.

Between me and my wife we have had 5 xperias, 2 have been fine (Wifes U and J) but I did have problems with my T (Suddenly stopped working). Because of problems with T Mobile and them duplicating my contract (So 2 bills) instead of cancelling it and starting a new one like agreed plus some other stuff I cancelled the whole lot (Me and my wife both left them because of it) and changed to 3 and got myself a brand new Xperia Z and had no problems with that for 2 years.

Very recently I have got myself a Z3 and while using it the screen suddenly went funny, like a haze had gone over it and lines were going across the screen in line with whatever was displayed on it. Contacted 3 and they sent me to Sony so I explained the problem and they set up a repair order. While sorting out for it to be sent back (Needed to get a sim adapter to use my wifes J since I gave her my Z) the screen then just stopped working, even though the phone still worked as I was listening to music on it. I was worried that since the problem had changed since I reported it that Sony might be funny about it but after a week they sent me a brand new Z3 as a replacement with no issues.

So while my issues were a real pain at the time, for me in the end it all worked out well.

longdi

Banned
Thickness:
Z2: 8.2mm
Z3: 7.3mm (-10.9%)
Z4: 6.9mm (5.5% reduction in thickness, 5.1% reduction in battery)

Disgusting reduction in batt capacity.
I think the race to a slimmer chassis will cause more breaking glass. Z1 Z2 don't see such issues

liquidtmd

Banned
I have had some issues with Xperias but luckily nothing that wasn’t fixed.

Between me and my wife we have had 5 xperias, 2 have been fine (Wifes U and J) but I did have problems with my T (Suddenly stopped working). Because of problems with T Mobile and them duplicating my contract (So 2 bills) instead of cancelling it and starting a new one like agreed plus some other stuff I cancelled the whole lot (Me and my wife both left them because of it) and changed to 3 and got myself a brand new Xperia Z and had no problems with that for 2 years.

Very recently I have got myself a Z3 and while using it the screen suddenly went funny, like a haze had gone over it and lines were going across the screen in line with whatever was displayed on it. Contacted 3 and they sent me to Sony so I explained the problem and they set up a repair order. While sorting out for it to be sent back (Needed to get a sim adapter to use my wifes J since I gave her my Z) the screen then just stopped working, even though the phone still worked as I was listening to music on it. I was worried that since the problem had changed since I reported it that Sony might be funny about it but after a week they sent me a brand new Z3 as a replacement with no issues.

So while my issues were a real pain at the time, for me in the end it all worked out well.

I don't doubt it. My last two phones were the Xperia SP and Xperia Z1C - both fine and no issues. I'm just genuinely annoyed that I've been blown out by Sony and feel effectively it's my word against theres. If I had dropped it or it had been my fault I'm the first to man up and say 'fair enough' but this effectively self cracked and they're flat out saying 'nope'

Anyway sorry to thread derail, Im out. Just pray this Z4 is better I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom