• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

mclem

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

I hereby revoke your right to use the tagline "4ThePlayers" until you get it.

I'm serious, here. That bullshit attitude is absolutely counter to the image you want to project.

Yeah Jim, nobody wants to play games from previous gens on their current gen console. Meanwhile, Call of Duty Blops II is having a great resurgence ever since backwards compatibility was introduced to it.

giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
Why offer people the option to play the games they already paid for when you can sell them again and again ad infinitum?

For the gamers, indeed!

Menitta

If he said this before Black Ops 2 made it in top 10 because of BC, he'd still sound dumb but slightly less.

Unknown?

Worst games to make type of comment on. Shitting on the older GT games when the newer ones are disappointing is asking for trouble.
They are better though. GT is a bad example because of course no one would go play the older ones except for nostalgia. Other series that don't exist on PS4 would be a better example.

Stop it Jim, unless y'all plan on porting damn near every game from previous gen stop. I haven't unhooked my p3 yet cause I still like to play GTA IV, so unless y'all get R* on the line hush up.

This thread is going to be lit.

They probably have no incentive since not having this feature isn't changing the course of the console race in the slightest.

jennetics

Dumb question,

Is this why the gaf thread title is:

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Is it because even we know nobody really uses it, except for a small minority?

RoKKeR

I complately believe him. I know there is an audience out there for it, but considering the amount of work and resources it takes to make BC viable, it seems like such a waste. Just keep your old systems.
It has paid dividends for Microsoft. It's allowed then to grow their "platform" with new and old games alike, integrate them into Games with Gold, earn additional high margin sales of old games on digital storefronts...it has become a cornerstone feature of the platform and will remain moving forward.

Whatever it cost upfront, it certainly has seemed "worth it" up to now.

I say this recognizing that it's probably a harder task for Sony to do it based on the PS3's architecture, but I find that to be a lacking excuse.

jmaine_ph

Explains the lack of support for backwards compatibility lol. Even the classics department is lacking.

But in all honesty the only way I would care to play old games was if I could adjust settings to match my hardware capabilities like on PC

KageMaru

I complately believe him. I know there is an audience out there for it, but considering the amount of work and resources it takes to make BC viable, it seems like such a waste. Just keep your old systems.

Problem is digital sales are growing, so BC becomes a bigger deal going forward. With physical copies, I can trade my system and games in if the newer platform doesn't have BC. That's not an option with digital games.

IF the PS5 isn't BC with the PS4, I'll still own one but won't buy any digital content outside of DLC.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Indeed, why would anyone play Gran Turismo or Gran Turismo 2. Way to say that your games are shit, but hey, who am I to judge? Personally, besides Yooka-Laylee and Ori, there has been nothing on Xbox One I enjoyed nearly as much as Rare Replay.

balohna

Sounds like a very non-gamer thing to say. Lots of reasons to revisit previous PS generations. Maybe the issue is they can't make money off it easily? I recall PS1 games kept getting re-issued long into the PS2's life. Maybe that was their strategy to make money then and it didn't do as well as they had hoped?

Putting a load of PS3 games on the PS4 store seems like it would do great though. If they can make it work, I'm sure they'd sell a lot.

jono51

Banned
Sounds like the sort of excuse you'd hear on here, but hey, at least he is getting paid to say it.

emb

Seems out of touch.

PS1 compatibility on PS2 and PS3 has been really useful to me. It's gorgeously simple to just pop in a game and play.

If it becomes any more inconvenient than that though, yeah, I wouldn't use it much. Ex: The Wii kinda botched it by needing you to use two different controllers to jump into your Gamecube game. I haven't heard very encouraging things about XB1 bc, and I doubt it would be better on PS4 if they tried to do something at this point.

sense

Missed the mark.

When a 5 year old game charts solely because of BC... "Why would anybody want this?"
It is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, and most popular games from last gen and a ton of people still play it so that game somehow managing to sell 100k and charting in a slow month when the original sold 25 million isn't some sort of proof that Bc is huge.

Lone Wolf

Id love to have PS3 games BC on PS4. Id even buy an add on to make it work. BC may have not been important on the older consoles, but with PS3 and 360 being widescreen and hi def, and a lot the games digital only, it has become almost a necessity.

Boke1879

PS5 will have compatibility with PS4. The architecture is there for it.

That said. This was a stupid comment. HE could have worded this much differently. Given the generic. "we are focused on bringing new experiences to playstation customers around the world" and been done with it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Missed the mark.

When a 5 year old game charts solely because of BC... "Why would anybody want this?"

To be fair it's a single game from an already hugely popular series. Non giant AAA games from previous gens aren't exactly lighting the charts on fire.

I-hate-u

They are better though. GT is a bad example because of course no one would go play the older ones except for nostalgia. Other series that don't exist on PS4 would be a better example.

GT is famous for its gameplay mechanics, of course it's a bad example. People wouldn't be replaying it for its graphics, but for its controls.

I'd much rather Gran Turismo 1 instead of the crap that 6 and Sport turned into.

^ See?

I think going forward, BC will be very important and since graphics are really nice since HD, it will not look that ancient. I agree that i wouldn't go back to play Gran Turismo 1 because the newer versions are way better looking but for games that have art style that still stays fresh to this day, it's important to have BC.

This is where Microsoft will win me as a customer, they're actually putting efforts and making sure our library stays with us for future consoles. Hell, i'm playing Daytona, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed and Burnout Paradise these days on BC because there's almost no arcade racers this gen and thank god for BC on Xbox One, because i can still play some of my older favorite titles.

The day and age of having to restart building your library each gen are gone. Hopefully, PS5 will be compatible with PS4 games.

Top Bottom