• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Yusaku

Using Gran Turismo is a bad example. Those games have aged extremely well visually. The real reason no one would ever play GT1 again is because of the fucking license tests.

bennibop

I totally agree with him. Games move on and games from ps1 and ps2 have dated terribly. I had fat ps3 and used backwards compatibility once.

Only reason BC is popular on Xbox One is because there's virtually nothing else to play on the damn thing. That said, I praise MS for how they've supported it.

Ushay

Wow that was pretty clueless of him.

This gen alone I've played 5 games on BC including RDR2 and Lost Odyssey.

Tankard

I also don't care at all and to this day is hard to understand why people care so much about it, maybe because i collect consoles and still have all my old ones and its games. But people do care for it, i would start thinking differently about it if i'm Sony.

That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

I can't even begin going into just how many layers of dumb this is. Just wow.

I have so many PS3 and PS1 games I would gladly play on my PS4 if I had the option. The lack of BC is legitimately one of my biggest gripes with the system.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, and most popular games from last gen and a ton of people still play it so that game somehow managing to sell 100k and charting in a slow month when the original sold 25 million isn't some sort of proof that Bc is huge.

So it's just a coincidence that it charted the month it became BC?

Marcel

They have a service for that

G8vgAjY.png

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
Why did they ever want to play them in the first place?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Worst games to make type of comment on. Shitting on the older GT games when the newer ones are disappointing is asking for trouble.

lol really

GT3 is one of the best racing games of all time. I'd love a way to be able to pop that disc back in a modern PlayStation console and rock that shit because it sure as hell was better than 5 & 6.

wvnative

Oh god I am legit shocked a SONY executive said something this stupid. This is the type of shit I used to expect microsoft to spew.

Did someone point out to him the amount of play hours 360 games have on xbox one? And that black ops 2 became the top 5 actively played games when it made BC? And that fucking red dead redemption, a 7 year old game that everyone has played, CHARTED in the top 5 sales on amazon video games when it was made compatible?

*inhales*
ARROGANT
SONY
IS
BACK

Im not one to call out these companies as being a specific way, but I feel this is whats happening, again. PS+ value has plummeted (for me personally), No EA Access, no backwards compatibility efforts almost whatsoever (PS2 games come few and far between it seems). Microsoft is killing it with its services and Sony just doesn't care, they have the market cornered so why bother with the features the loser is bringing out?

Only reason BC is popular on Xbox One is because there's virtually nothing else to play on the damn thing. That said, I praise MS for how they've supported it.
Where do people get those weird stance from? There's like 10 games that release a week. Maybe people just like playing games they own either way. Odd notion I know

Hilarion

I just finished playing through Kirby's Epic Yarn for the first time on my Wii U. The game is two system generations back and I had no issues whatsoever with it on that front. Backwards Compatibility is fantastic.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I agree with him! However, this does not mean it should not be an option to make more money from customers who do value playing older games.

They should do it for the people who will play those games because I would think the cost for making emulation for those games is not that much.

Shredderi

Name checks out.

I really don't feel the controversy with this one like most of here do, though. I want BC. When I get it, I don't use, not really except for shits and giggles twice a year. I'd bet most people are like me in this regard. There just isn't enough incentive for them to do it, I think.

That's a marginally clickbait title. It's a stupid statement, but the comment was specifically about a series that by definition attempts to make old titles obsolete with each new release. Would people be upset if this was about the FIFA or Madden series? A general lack of awareness on the purpose of BC though, yes.
Why did they ever want to play them in the first place?
Because they were bleeding-edge graphics at the time? They complimented the existing hardware?

Edit: I realize I sound like a complete bitch, but it's still my opinion only because the comment was regarding Gran Turismo.

So I take this means Jim will personally make sure Crash Team Racing, Final Fantasy VIII/IX, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 3 remakes are in the dev pipeline as we speak.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Out of touch with the current reality.

I'd argue its the folks in this thread who are out of touch with the current reality. They have enough data to justify to themselves its not a route worth pursuing. I think it sucks but I can't blame them for saying its a feature people claim to ask for and then don't really want or care for when its been true at every point in gaming history.

gamz

Code for I don't have it on my system so I have to give myself state of mind.

Top Bottom