• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan comments on backwards compatibility: "why would anybody play this?"

Dumb question,

Is this why the gaf thread title is:

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Is it because even we know nobody really uses it, except for a small minority?

"Everyone wants it, no one uses it" was a pretty pervasive statement in the early days of X1's Backwards Compatibility, before it built a solid library. Though it has now been flipped on its head well and truly - millions of people are using it - so it's more mocking.

Duxxy3

Because this generation hasn't served my gaming needs like last generation. Too many open world games. Too many multiplayer focused games.

Over the past few years I've probably played more games from last generation than this generation.

Endo Punk

But I enjoyed my time with Ape Escape 2 on PS4 and would definitely play my PS1 digital library again on PS4 if given the option.

Fox Mulder

Same company that said rumble was a last gen feature.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to them with how complex the PS3 was and they have sales data for it, but I love BC on the Xbox 1.

mattp

i think having all games being digital changes things a fucking ton, though

if ps5 comes out and is fully bc with ps4. i bet way more people would use it compared to previous gens, since all the games are just right there on psn vs having to go buy old games from a store

SenkiDala

I also don't care at all and to this day is hard to understand why people care so much about it, maybe because i collect consoles and still have all my old ones and its games. But people do care for it, i would start thinking differently about it if i'm Sony.

It's just because it makes it simple to play old games... When I want to play a RE2 I'd rather play it on ps3 on BC than taking my old CRT TV, my ps1, and plug all that back (I still have them too).

Like why bothering re-buying 2001 space odyssey in BR if I already have it on videotape! Let's plug back the VCR on the CRT TV. :D

gamz

I'd argue its the folks in this thread who are out of touch with the current reality. They have enough data to justify to themselves its not a route worth pursuing. I think it sucks but I can't blame them for saying its a feature people claim to ask for and then don't really want or care for when its been true at every point in gaming history.

What data can Sony have when they don't offer it? This is 2017 and we are 40% digital. You should be able to keep your library. So reason not to.

Krakn3Dfx

Garbage perspective, you offer if because your competitor offers is if it's something you can do. I have a ton of PS1/2 classics on the store and physical copies, being able to play them on the PS4 would add a lot of value to the system.

dugdug

Banned
This is a bad response, and, I want BC on PS5 just as much as you all, but, propping up Black Ops 2 just shows me that only 1 game out of hundreds has had a successful resurgence thanks to BC.

Boke1879

Out of touch with the current reality.

It's a stupid comment to make, but what's the reality? Their console is outselling the Xbox 2:1, Their games are selling and many exclusives have been released on the system. And they've been making a shit ton of money thanks to PSN.

BC is a great feature and again this was a stupid comment, but it's not why most people pick on box over the other.

That said PS5 will be compat with PS4 simply because of the architecture, and it's the main reason for these iterative consoles.

Mikey Jr.

You know , I'll give them a pass on back compat for ps1,2, and 3 on the PS4.

Fine, whatever. Can't be done for whatever reason, or they won't. Ok fine.

But help me God Sony, if PS5 isn't back compat with PS4, then you are fucking morons, and deserve to lose the next generation.

Thats all I have to say.

mrqs

Sony did great on the PS4 reveal and how they handled it. But with PS4 Pro, PSVR and how they manage their system nowdays... I mean, not very impressive.

Great games? Sure. But i don't admire Sony for most of its decisions. Microsoft is making much more progress and doing it better. Hopefully they'll get close to Sony in the next few years.

Same company that said rumble was a last gen feature.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to them and they have data for it, but I love BC on the Xbox 1.

I doubt there is data saying its a bad idea. Its been great for Xbox, great for the PS3, and great for the PS2. Their blowing smoke up our asses.

That's rich coming from the amount of remasters they released XD

Edit: And one more hint that they are not making Ps5 BC compatible.

pitchfork

Only reason BC is popular on Xbox One is because there's virtually nothing else to play on the damn thing. That said, I praise MS for how they've supported it.

Danny-Danno-Williams.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i love backwards compatibility on xbox one and dearly wish i could play PS3 games like Yakuza 4 on PS4.

Shifty1897

I understand why there's no BC with PS1, 2, and 3.

But I will jump ship and go full PC gamer if the PS5 doesn't play PS4 games. That was the whole point of moving to the x86 architecture.

Boke1879

Sony loves telling consumers what they want and don't want.

Well consumers have been telling Sony what they want based on what they buy. Consumers are still buying the PS4 in large numbers and are receiving the new games well also. There IS a way to play PS3 games with PSNow.

Again stupid comment, but Sony hasn't made any mention of bringing PS1 classics to the system and it hasn't stopped them from selling consoles are gotten any major pushback.

I wonder how far they could shrink down some of those ancient chips using modern processes to deliver a small emulation box. Guts go in the box, video output/control/etc gets handled by the main system.

Would be much better if he just ignored the question entirely. Downplaying BC like this when you got PSnow and Ps2 classics on the Ps4 just seems dumb.

gamz

It's a stupid comment to make, but what's the reality? Their console is outselling the Xbox 2:1, Their games are selling and many exclusives have been released on the system. And they've been making a shit ton of money thanks to PSN.

BC is a great feature and again this was a stupid comment, but it's not why most people pick on box over the other.

That said PS5 will be compat with PS4 simply because of the architecture, and it's the main reason for these iterative consoles.

Have they confirmed this? With consoles going more and more digital it's a priority to offer it. If they don't they are out of touch with the current climate. I don't know what to tell you if you don't get this?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's rich coming from the amount of remasters they released XD

Thats kind of proving his point? They think a market for specific older games but not one that justifies bringing an entire consoles library back. His comment was totally idiotic to actually say, he seems to be a guy who loves to say completely moronic shit, but I'm not sure hes actually wrong.

I wonder how much it would cost to continue making (or, separately, license out the production of) devices that would play original PS1 / PS2 titles. My PS1 and PS2 lasers are completely shot, and I'm definitely not the only one.

I can see there being no BC on PS5 either. It won't be as simple as making the console and throwing the PS4 disc in the tray, there will be much work to be done, regardless of x86 continuation. Plus with Sony being hopeless on the system software side of things it isn't promising. Along with these type of comments lol.

I agree, I don't buy new consoles to play ancient games, I want new experiences like those in VR.

I'll dig out my old ps1 if ever i want a trip down memory lane to play azure dreams or Devils deception.

It doesn't matter if people want to play them, it matters if people want to buy them. And they do.

If the sales figures aren't adding up, then maybe get better PS2 games on PS4? There are better and more requested PS2 games out there than Parappa 2 and Rogue Galaxy.

That being said, I don't think bc is as integral and as much a moneymaker as some on here think it is. Most people DO buy new consoles to play new games. It sounds dickish to say it, but it is absolutely true.

M.D

Did he not see those NPD #s for BO2?

One of the best selling games ever whose part of a franchise people have been clamoring for to go back to its roots (aka Black Ops 2) doing well is not enough reason to suggest anything

That said, this is a pretty dumb statement to make even if you agree with him

Mikey Jr.

I can see there being no BC on PS5 either. It won't be as simple as making the console and throwing the PS4 disc in the tray, there will be much work to be done, regardless of x86 continuation. Plus with Sony being hopeless on the system software side of things it isn't promising. Along with these type of comments lol.

We'll see.

If Xbox 2 or whatever the fuck its called can play older games out the gate, then I think Sony is in a lot of trouble.

sure when people want BC, they want the very fist Ps1 games /s
why would anyone assume the recent released Ps3 games, that still look good
or Ps4 games BC on the next Ps5

very poor excuse

I-hate-u

The story here is not the merit of having BC compatability, it's that he shit on GT.

GT, ya know, THEIR OWN #1 FRANCHISE!!!

Top Bottom