• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

Jezbollah

I hope Sony posts a confirmation announcement about this story so we can link to that instead of the person's Facebook account. A tweet from an official account or something.

I'm worried people are going to get personal.

It's far more subtle to hear from this via social media rather than putting a press release out.

Plus, putting a press release for such a thing would make it easy for detractors to accuse Sony that they were chasing good PR via possibly taking advantage of disabled people.

fertygo

Heck has worked on stuff like that in the past. He calls it an Access Controller. Still have to work the off-side analog with your leg. Wouldn't be surprised if he would enjoy the challenge of creating a solution for dual motion-based controllers.

Woah this looked cool..

My hope is controller that can completely functional with one hand, Move actually very close to my ideal.. sadly the functionality not as good as I hope for.

Mr Moose

This is more of a "I can't believe Sony actually did that" story rather than "MS sucks at customer relations and PR and blah blah"...

This is the way I see it, too. If I was in a wheelchair and was lucky enough to get a free console, I wouldn't go expecting it from a different company (because I wouldn't expect to get the other free to begin with).

The guy on the MS section did say sorry, which is an apology.
I wouldn't mind a free Xbox One or PS4 (rather get a free Xbox One 'cause it's more expensive though, and I wouldn't get one otherwise).

This to me isn't a negative for MS, it's just that it is a positive for Sony.

Regardless of it being pre-planned or not, it is a hell of a gesture to do something like that.

Goodwill goes a long way, especially when social networking allows people share positive, as well as negative experiences. This is about what Sony did right though.

Binabik15

A product that they will spend money on via games? Certainly. Not to mention acts like this go a long way in keeping customers for the long run and making other prospective buyers take note. It's a marathon, not a sprint. ;)

Sure, I just wish I was the customer in this case.

I'm paying for Plus and I buy first party games, I'd be a great pick to show some of that Sony goodwill! I also suffer from horrible nosebleeding for a week now, after I had surgery on my septum. I'd even take a free Xbone or Wii U or a new gaming pc.

Raistlin

Nah just pointed out the flaws in the story which where confirmed.

Especially the controller locked down stuff, doesn't jive with the reality of these events.

I didn't make any crazy assumptions.

uh huh

but I did?

k later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_M9my-Nw4g (4:12)

judging from the angles of this video when he was playing, those kiosks were playable without any need for stairs.
Why are people still trying to disprove this person's account, simply because they made an offhand comment, as an aside to the main point of the post - that something nice happened to them, about not getting similar treatment at the other booth?

It's already been explained that he was referring to Titanfall, which was upstairs at Microsoft's booth.

Tablo

Fucking Microsoft. What a bunch of fucking scum.

Wow, get out of here. It's not like they transgressed on immutable human rights, no one's going to have their standard of life denigrated by not trying out a games console prior to launch...

You might want to re-evaluate how you figure out who's the scum and who's not in the world, might prove to be interesting.

On Topic:

Bravo to Sony, that's the best thing you could do and a really kind gesture to their fans, makes me happy to see stuff like this :)

LOL, the guy remembers every single word the Sony rep told him but when it comes to the MS ones it's just "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it"

I bet he thought he could try for a free XB1 and when he didn't get it posted in such a way to make MS look like they didn't care.

Nice to get a free system but neither Sony or MS had any obligation to give them one, especially since their were demo stations on the main floor.

WTF is wrong with you?

Akira

Good move by Sony, but that is a huge mistake by the Sony booth organizers to have all of the playable PS4 units on a wheelchair-inaccessible mezzanine. It seems the representative was totally caught unprepared for this and to avoid any bad PR (or more likely to avoid any lawsuits) gifted them free PS4s. Again, that was a pretty good move but it is the least they could for such a huge oversight.

Alebrije

Good for Sony , the least they can do since they did not think about disabeled people when they were building their boot.

I consider myself Sony biased when it comes to product preference...just to throw that out there.

But seriously, this smells like obvious PR, or just a writer / gamer with an axe to grind. Unless there's proper sources and pictorial evidence....it's just mud slinging.

kpaadet

So in a nutshell, Sony had no PS4s on ground level. They felt bad since they forgot that disabled people could not access the next floor, so they handed out a few PS4s as a goodwill gesture.

On the other hand, Microsoft had consoles on the main floor. Most of their games were playable there, except for TitanFall which was on floor 2. When asked if they could play it, a Microsoft rep apologized and said no.

Internet translation: Sony loves you, Microsoft is the antichrist.

For all we know, Microsoft had the foresight to put consoles on the ground floor so they could be accessed by all. However, if this was the case, this is just more proof that Microsoft's PR blows.

I think the point of this story is that Sony acknowledge they fucked up and tried to make it up by giving them free PS4s. Meanwhile MS did what most companies would normally do, apologize to them and hopefully change next time they set up their booth. That doesn't mean MS is evil, it just means Sony went above and beyond. Its too bad some will use it to paint a poor picture of MS.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The free PS4's were actually a rather smart business move on Sony's part. They pretty much guaranteed a bunch of future PS4 game purchases, since they tend to make most of their money on software and accessories anyway.

It was a good gesture, but lets not pretend it isn't mutually beneficial for both Sony and the 4 handicapped people.

Microsoft didn't do anything wrong, either. Ultimately, Sony realized they fucked up for handicapped people, and came to the conclusion that this would be the best apology.

Was with you right up until the MS part.

I mean come on. That cant be true. Everyone involved with the xbox one isnt some kind of super villain.

I'm having a hard time believing it myself, but if they really are getting free Playstation 4s, then congratulations to Sony on doing the right thing.

Wow, get out of here. It's not like they transgressed on immutable human rights, no one's going to have their standard of life denigrated by not trying out a games console prior to launch...

You might want to re-evaluate how you figure out who's the scum and who's not in the world, might prove to be interesting.

On Topic:

Bravo to Sony, that's the best thing you could do and a really kind gesture to their fans, makes me happy to see stuff like this :)
I suspect he was joking.

Man, the internet has ruined me, I think every nice story is either fake or a publicity stunt or something.

MS should have used the wonders of digital distribution and loaded up Titanfall on one of the lower level consoles for them. "Look how quick and easy it is to logon down here and have access to my library!"

Tablo

I suspect he was joking.

Man, the internet has ruined me, I think every nice story is either fake or a publicity stunt or something.

I hope he was haha, is it a bad thing I thought it was feasible someone could react in that way ;_; I guess we're ruined together man :/

I hope Sony posts a confirmation announcement about this story so we can link to that instead of the person's Facebook account. A tweet from an official account or something.

I'm worried people are going to get personal.

The classy thing to do would be to not make a big deal out of it.

Joni

As someone with an uncle in the wheelchair, the Microsoft response isn't that uncommon and at least it is an apology. Some companies don't care at all even to say sorry. Sony's response is exceptional; Microsoft's response is what you'd expect to hear when you're in a wheelchair or driving around someone in one.

GenericUser

now they went almost to far with the "we really learned our lesson last time and now we are a good and nice company" shit. preorder cancelled!

Why are people still trying to disprove this person's account, simply because they made an offhand comment, as an aside to the main point of the post - that something nice happened to them, about not getting similar treatment at the other booth?

It's already been explained that he was referring to Titanfall, which was upstairs at Microsoft's booth.

Alright, didn't catch that detail.

hohoXD123

Every single next gen console was moved upstairs in an exhibition hall without a single lift? Sounds pretty fishy. But still, dat Sony PR. A hell of a kind gesture if it turns out to be true though.

cool story and all, but why do Sony have no PS4 on the ground floor? surely they're trying to push PS4 hard so making it less accessible by placing them in a more harder to reach and less visible place like 2nd floor is against that.

are they mainly showing PS3 and Vita on the ground floor?

GobFather

there were PS4s on the main level at other booths, like Assassins 4. Sony reps even fastracked the people in wheelchairs to the front of those lines, even though it was on the main floor.

I think you're one of the few who actually READ the whole thing carefully. Thanks for all your clarification. It should all be edited in the OP. :)

Top Bottom