• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

Raistlin

Seems unlikely since that would defeat the purpose of such an event. Either way it's highly suspect since we are basing all of this on a single facebook no one was able to verify.

Anyone have a closeup of this pic?

Bl2meHT.png

A lot of traditional kiosks have the controller locked down. Can't tell from this pic though.

BigDug13

Yes, I think the vast majority of people here believe that. Sony are the good guys and Microsoft are the bad guys. This thread is testament to how sheepishly people will accept anything they're told so long as it fits in with what they want to believe, no matter how questionable it is in reality. Look at how many people are saying 'fuck Microsoft' and not even doubting for a second the idea that Sony reps just walk around with free PS4 vouchers in their pockets.

Did you not read the original article? PS4 vouchers were not mentioned. And Microsoft made themselves into the bad guys on their own. Their 180's are an acknowledgement of the picture they painted for themselves as the bad guys and attempting to do everything they can to turn that image around.

If Vader had stopped halfway through choking his captain using the force and apologized for it, the audience would require further convincing that he is not the bad guy.

And when their competition continues to find ways to paint themselves as the good guys, as this article is yet another example of, it furthers the good will that we feel towards them and makes Vader's job of convincing us that he's a good guy more difficult. Luke choked people too, but we overlook that.

Freki

Look at how many people are saying 'fuck Microsoft' and not even doubting for a second the idea that Sony reps just walk around with free PS4 vouchers in their pockets.

You have to give credit were credit is due - Microsoft worked very hard to get there...

Seanspeed

Banned
Actually it was just a nice to read story thread, until you and a couple of others turned it into a crusade to defend the poor persecuted.
Its a nice story except for the part in the OP where Microsoft is made out to sound like villains. And yes, when people are being persecuted unnecessarily, it annoys me. I don't think this is such a bad quality to have.

let me help you out, the person's actual fb post:

https://www.facebook.com/EBGamesAus/posts/613545955350425

Sony weren't walking around with printed vouchers for free PS4s, they took their contact info.
Yea, I know. But how many people are actually reading that? Going by how many people are still bashing Microsoft, I'm guessing not that many.

If Sony are doing that, that's fantastic. Its just this general thread's reaction that gets to me.

derwalde

The FB-guys answer 20 minutes ago:
"Certain games were only upstairs or only downstairs for both consoles. Titanfall, which is what we wanted to play, was upstairs only, hence why we were told what we were. Sony at the PlayStation booth only had consoles upstairs period, but at the Ubisoft booth Assassin's creed 4 was being demo'd on the PS4. Even though this was the case, and we were able to play it there, Sony still took all our details, promised the consoles, and offered to fast track us to the front of the Ubisoft line to play anyway.

Believe it or not, I really don't mind. But I know it is true and never expected that they would go out of their way like they did. It is why I can't thank them enough for making it even more of an amazing day."

Let's stop the argument and try to find a reasoning to this pic. Obviously the claim in the story and this picture aren't adding up. Was this pic taken after the kid in the wheelchair visited?

same person from facebook:

Certain games were only upstairs or only downstairs for both consoles. Titanfall, which is what we wanted to play, was upstairs only, hence why we were told what we were. Sony at the PlayStation booth only had consoles upstairs period, but at the Ubisoft booth Assassin's creed 4 was being demo'd on the PS4. Even though this was the case, and we were able to play it there, Sony still took all our details, promised the consoles, and offered to fast track us to the front of the Ubisoft line to play anyway.

Believe it or not, I really don't mind. But I know it is true and never expected that they would go out of their way like they did. It is why I can't thank them enough for making it even more of an amazing day.

DBT85

Let's stop the argument and try to find a reasoning to this pic. Obviously the claim in the story and this picture aren't adding up. Was this pic taken after the kid in the wheelchair visited?

When the venue was empty and not finished? Unlikely.

AzerPhire

let me help you out, the person's actual fb post:

Sony weren't walking around with printed vouchers for free PS4s, they took their contact info.

LOL, the guy remembers every single word the Sony rep told him but when it comes to the MS ones it's just "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it"

I bet he thought he could try for a free XB1 and when he didn't get it posted in such a way to make MS look like they didn't care.

Nice to get a free system but neither Sony or MS had any obligation to give them one, especially since their were demo stations on the main floor.

mekes

I believe the story. Sony have become much more generous and aware of the way word of mouth generates interest for their brand. They seem a much more personal company now. Last year I won a 46 inch Bravia HX850 for entering one of their Facebook competitions. They were creating new great competitions multiple times a week for months, they made a lot of people happy there.

A week after I won the TV, my sister won a great pair of Sony headphones and a trip to Ibiza from Sony.

"Certain games were only upstairs or only downstairs for both consoles. Titanfall, which is what we wanted to play, was upstairs only, hence why we were told what we were. Sony at the PlayStation booth only had consoles upstairs period, but at the Ubisoft booth Assassin's creed 4 was being demo'd on the PS4. Even though this was the case, and we were able to play it there, Sony still took all our details, promised the consoles, and offered to fast track us to the front of the Ubisoft line to play anyway.

Believe it or not, I really don't mind. But I know it is true and never expected that they would go out of their way like they did. It is why I can't thank them enough for making it even more of an amazing day."

Shhh, it's all fake, man! Obviously he made all that up. All the games were downstairs, the booth picture is a photoshop!

Seanspeed

Banned
You're about as fair and balanced as Fox News.
Very ironic. I'm trying to be fair while you're trying to paint me as something I'm not, which is something far more in line with something Fox News would do.

You can drop it, man. You don't know what you're talking about here.

two-bit bot

Neo Member
That looks pretty wheelchair accessible to me...

Kinect Sports Rivals is definitely accessible for someone who is wheelchair bound.

Maybe they had different kiosks on the second floor.

EDIT: Beaten.

BigDug13

LOL, the guy remembers every single word the Sony rep told him but when it comes to the MS ones it's just "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it"

I bet he thought he could try for a free XB1 and when he didn't get it posted in such a way to make MS look like they didn't care.

Nice to get a free system but neither Sony or MS had any obligation to give them one, especially since their were demo stations on the main floor.

Yes this is true, both companies could have just said "sorry, you can't play", but they didn't. And OF COURSE the very unexpected nature of the Sony promise of a free console as well as their willingness to get them into the head of the line at Ubisoft to try the games on PS4 is something that would be very memorable to have happen, not sure what you're insinuating.

Welp.

QP3

Why would you take pictures?
I wouldn't?
To brag?
I would be thankful, and that would be my first and only thought not to grab my camera to take pictures to show people how how lucky I am or to prove something.
Most people in the world do not look at things as if they have to prove something to people, they are not trying to convince anyone nor should they have to.
Believe it or do not believe it, fuck a doodle doo.
At least that is my usual mindset when something nice has been done for me or when I have done something for someone or when someone else has had something cool done for them.

Because I was happy and wanted to remember/share the moment.

GreyWind

Well he didn't expected that so it was a memorable moment for him, I bet.

BraXzy

I'm sorry but aren't those X1 on the ground floor at the MS booth?

@beaten

It's highly likely there were different games at diffetent booths. If Forza is on downstairs but you're interested in CoD you aren't asking to see downstairs are you?

I doubt MS' apology was as bad as they made out but if true, good on Sony for just being good sports.

AzerPhire

Yes this is true, both companies could have just said "sorry, you can't play", but they didn't. And OF COURSE the very unexpected nature of the Sony promise of a free console as well as their willingness to get them into the head of the line at Ubisoft to try the games on PS4 is something that would be very memorable to have happen, not sure what you're insinuating.

I am insinuating that the guy went to MS after expecting to get a free system from them too and when he didn't he worded his post to suggest MS didn't care that he couldn't play.

the original post, since a few people are missing it:

iz1xlZN.png

I believe they "typical!" part meant that this is what wheelchair people get as a typical response, not that this is typical for MS.

someone called BS and the person responded:

djWRTyc.png

Microsoft is the devil! But seriously i think Microsoft P.R need to have a workshop or something to teach these idiots how to respond to people.

I don't like when details are omitted and only revealed after questioning original statements.

Why can't people just tell the actual, whole story the first time?

Raistlin

Ahhhhhhh .... now it makes sense

You are trying really hard, but the guy himself seems to address the point himself.
Trying hard for what exactly? To find out the truth?

Are you implying an agenda?

Arklite

That's pretty awesome, though it's well above what anyone should reasonably expect to happen. I don't really think it's that big of a deal that the MSoft reps weren't able to do anything.

Tagyhag

It's sad that some people use something positive as this as ammo for their war. That's when you know they're in deep.

BigDug13

I am insinuating that the guy went to MS after expecting to get a free system from them too and when he didn't he worded his post to suggest MS didn't care that he couldn't play.

That's either a very cynical viewpoint in general, or it's deflecting the negative news with obfuscation so MS doesn't get painted negatively.

The story was about what Sony did, which was awesome. Unfortunately for MS, the were 1up'd because of it. MS wasn't "negative" exactly as they were simply not as "positive" as Sony which makes them look negative.

ironcreed

Banned
In all seriousness, it is probably all coincidental. Someone with the authority was obviously around to witness the ordeal at the Sony section, while nobody with power to give out an Xbox One witnessed them being turned away from being able to go upstairs to play Titanfall. It was a big crowd and nobody was really there to give out free consoles anyway, so I am not going to bash Microsoft for this one. But good on Sony for sure.

I don't like when details are omitted and only revealed after questioning original statements.

Why can't people just tell the actual, whole story the first time?

Because when you tell stories like this you consciously think to yourself "HEY! What if they ask this and think its BS? Better give this detail."

>.>

Dragon

Banned
Very ironic. I'm trying to be fair while you're trying to paint me as something I'm not, which is something far more in line with something Fox News would do.

You can drop it, man. You don't know what you're talking about here.

I don't really need to bring up your posting history here. You're talking about being fair while exhibiting a persecution complex is just plain dumb. Just stop posting, this thread was about a positive experience until you went in here and started muddying (or is it cloudying in your case?) the waters.

B.O.O.M

It's just embarrassing to read some posters trying to scream 'fake' about this whole story. It's all there for crying out loud...FB account and all

It's just a really nice thing for the Sony guys who were handling the event to do. And overall MS PR has been rather shit with the Xbone. That's pretty much all there is to it, no need for conspiracy theories.

for new page.

-----------------

the original post, since a few people are missing it:

iz1xlZN.png

I believe the "typical!" part meant that this is what wheelchair people get as a typical response, not that this is typical for MS.

someone called BS and the person responded:

djWRTyc.png

--------------

also, looking at their profile, the person is a part of:
-Australian PC Gamers group
-Victorian Electric Wheelchair Sports Association(VEWSA)
-People for an Australian Muscular Dystrophy Day group
-Power Soccer Shop.com group

don't really really see affiliation with sony or why they would make this up.

fertygo

Sounds cool, I'm also disabled gamer myself.. and play game with mostly one hand because my disabled left hand, and use the analog with uh... my right leg thumb. I wish someday they invent something like Move that actually useful to people like me.

Top Bottom