• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

Beelzebubs

The situation as a whole is legit. You seemed to be contesting both the idea that they were offered free PS4s and that they didn't get anything from Microsoft, and were simply told that they wouldn't be able to play the system?

What exactly about that seems unrealistic exactly?
Hmm, retail systems should only play signed code though iirc, does that mean that DriveClub is finished/pressed.

Could be the digital version. I'd imagine they have a demo ready for launch.

Sony did a good thing, but it seems to me like those kids tried luck in the XBO part afterwards and they didn't simply get free consoles. That's already a downer when the other company gave you the nextgen console, for free. Probably they issued an apology and that's it.

Orca

The situation as a whole is legit. You seemed to be contesting both the idea that they were offered free PS4s and that they didn't get anything from Microsoft, and were simply told that they wouldn't be able to play the system?

Sony gave out free PS4's to everyone in a wheelchair that happened by (going by the 'we have a solution and you'll like it' bit) and Microsoft told all of them to fuck off.

That sounds realistic?

hEist

applaus.gif

@sony. awesome reaction for this.

Raistlin

So does this constitute this week's MS PR fuck up ... or do we expect another one?

What's the over/under?

Always read the actual source.

Which, when clicking the thread is the article and link in the OP and the article clearly stated they were handed vouchers. That's irrelevant now though, it's been cleared up.

I contested that Sony reps were walking around with free PS4 vouchers, it was cleared up with a post clarifying that the rep actually took their details and didn't hand them a voucher.

And yes, I'm not sure I believe that MS were so dismissive. Not even an apology? Just a blunt, you can't try it and that's it? Seems unbelievable.

USC-fan

Banned
I have a nephew in a wheelchair. Sucks neither thought about people being able to play PS4/xbone.

Bravo sony for making up for it!

Something I'm missing. What kind of exhibition hall doesn't have an elevator?

This is actually pretty normal. The big guys like Sony and MS usually build a booth in several stories, which naturally doesn't have an elevator, since it's just a temporary setup. The mistake in this case was only having PS4 demo units on the second floor.

As for the story, it does sound a bit too good to be true...

Sony gave out free PS4's to everyone in a wheelchair that happened by (going by the 'we have a solution and you'll like it' bit) and Microsoft told all of them to fuck off.

That sounds realistic?
Good grief. How is that strawman remotely what was described?
And yes, I'm not sure I believe that MS were so dismissive. Not even an apology? Just a blunt, you can't try it and that's it? Seems unbelievable.
They said "sorry."
I'm not sure why the article says there was no apology.

EDIT: Also, your original post really doesn't read like you were simply contesting the "vouchers" part, but whatever.

RE_Player

Can't believe people are arguing about this. This is simply one of those nice little stories you read in passing. Have an awwww moment and move on.

Hex

Banned
Probably, but if it happened to me I would have taken a bunch of pictures and what not. I am not trying to say this didn't/couldn't happen, just that a post on FB is a sketchy source. I really hope it is true.

Why would you take pictures?
I wouldn't?
To brag?
I would be thankful, and that would be my first and only thought not to grab my camera to take pictures to show people how how lucky I am or to prove something.
Most people in the world do not look at things as if they have to prove something to people, they are not trying to convince anyone nor should they have to.
Believe it or do not believe it, fuck a doodle doo.
At least that is my usual mindset when something nice has been done for me or when I have done something for someone or when someone else has had something cool done for them.

Lynn616

Can't believe people are arguing about this. This is simply one of those nice little stories you read in passing. Have an awwww moment and move on.

No, it has to also be a massive negative for the X1. Would have been a nice feel good thread otherwise.

rvy

Banned

You have people really invested in both companies on the internet, lol.
Like, really fucking invested. As if they own stocks.

kiguel182

Sony already has the best product and the best games, if this is true the fact that they have the best company policies just makes it the icing on the cake.

Of course Microsoft is known for being a pretty dispicable bussiness, not really hard to be better than them...

SeanR1221

Sony already has the best product and the best games, if this is true the fact that they have the best company policies just makes it the icing on the cake.

Of course Microsoft is known for being a pretty dispicable bussiness, not really hard to be better than them...

Junior member saying this kind of stuff?

Shill! Shill!

It's not a floor. It's an exhibition space held at the what was once an Olympic Park here in Sydney. The exhibition space itself is wheelchair accessible, BUT each company has the option of building a mezzanine level for their display area which both Sony and MS did to show off their new consoles.

The exhibition itself ran from Fri to Sun this weekend. We have a long weekend this week so I can see many people going all the way there and got disappointed when they can't try the new consoles.

Here's the website:

http://www.ebexpo.com.au/

Fair enough, thanks for the clarity. Seems understandable in that case why there wouldn't be good access up to the temporary mezzanine floor. Still kind of shit of MS if that really was their response to these fans.

Raistlin

A ramp that goes up that high? It'd require the ramp to go around in circles before it gets up there.
Yeah? That's how such setups are routinely designed for accessibility.

Or they could just play on the xbones that are accessible by wheelchair?
Wait ... there were 1st floor XBones and they were told they couldn't play them? lol wut?

If that's the case, this went from being a positive Sony PR situation, to a very negative MS one. I find that hard to believe though.

slider

MS' response is surely paraphrased. And I don't think it's actually that bad if it was a "unfortunately they're upstairs and you can't get access I'm afraid". Just that Sony's stance, if true, was amazing.

Good stuff Sony and more specifically your awesome reps at the expo.

It's an IOU note written on a napkin.

I laughed.

I'm not sure why the article says there was no apology.

EDIT: Also, your original post really doesn't read like you were simply contesting the "vouchers" part, but whatever.

I was contesting both the voucher aspect and the fact that MS were dismissive.

Sony reps were walking around with vouchers for free PS4 consoles?

Come on...

The gamers then made their way over to the Microsoft/Xbox One area of the convention and were simply told, "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and sent off without even a simple apology.

Seems legit...

Seems pretty self explanatory. What made you think I was only contesting the vouchers?

sirap

I wonder how difficult it is to lift a wheelchair with a person sitting. Shouldn't be that difficult for just 2 men to do so.

Sometimes I wonder who is working at these conventions, to ask for some flexibility and improvisation seems to be too much.

I can only speak for myself but that would be pretty humiliating if I was the person in the wheelchair (which I have been for a few a months)

BigDug13

Which, when clicking the thread is the article and link in the OP and the article clearly stated they were handed vouchers. That's irrelevant now though, it's been cleared up.

I contested that Sony reps were walking around with free PS4 vouchers, it was cleared up with a post clarifying that the rep actually took their details and didn't hand them a voucher.

Even if they said the word "sorry" in their reply, it still shows that both sides didn't plan properly for handicapped access, and only one side attempted to do something about it in support of disabled fans.

Give it a rest, kid. If you're going to have this kind of bias, as least be a bit more subtle about it.

derwalde

Your point was to completely misrepresent mine? Why?

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of 'skepticism'. Its neither confirming nor denying anything. Just a notion that there isn't quite enough evidence to decide either way.

My point was to exaggerate your point by flipping it the other way round. To that second part: I see, you are an internet intellectual. Try harder.

2San

Wait ... there were 1st floor XBones and they were told they couldn't play them? lol wut?
Just look at the picture plenty of xbones on the first floor. I highly doubt MS would tell them to go away when they have xbones on the first floor.

ironcreed

Banned

Nonsense, it is clearly a marketing ploy using plants. Have you not heard what is next? Sony is actually collaborating with Vince McMahon on WWE's next PPV. They are planning on having guys wearing black and blue suits rush the ring from the crowd and beat John Cena senseless with an Xbox One. After which, they will proceed to smash it to pieces in the middle of the ring with a sledgehammer and then raise a PS4 with belt straps attached to it in the air as they stand over the wreckage.

Top Bottom