• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

evil ways

World Heroes was also pretty blatant, but I give it a pass since it was pretty fun. Any game that has Rasputin, Hulk Hogan, Bruce Lee and an M. Bison rip off is cool with me.

Sàmban

Banned
NOPE, and I'm still playing that online daily on ggpo

wiki.shoryuken.com/Breakers_Revenge So many differences. Don't get me wrong it's still similar to Street Fighter in some stuff though but when you learn it and start playing it competitive it's just a whole different game(compared to other blatant clones that try and mimic everything). It reminds me of what I wanted SF4 to play like.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFHyc4JfEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBQAM9Psb0

This. Breakers Revenge shits on street fighter from great heights. YES INCLUDING THIRD STRIKE AND SF4 ver. whatever.

Come at me fighting GAF.

lazygecko

After the initial wave of SF2 clones, we also started getting the Mortal Kombat clones. And that was just reaching a whole new level of pure sleaze.

Most people probably already heard of the more infamous ones like Kasumi Ninja and Tattoo Assassins. But recently I was also introduced to a more obscure one called Survival Arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzJ1ce06T0

KaidoRacer7

he couldn't remember the name of a game who he described as:

Oh, it's Power Instinct

of.jpg

Body Blows Galactic had some of my favourite character designs in fighting games. Puppet and Phantom were badass.

I'll throw out Elfmania for the Amiga

elfmania.png

Loona

Oh, it's Power Instinct

of.jpg

I love how this series messed around with the cliches of the genre.

"Oh, so fighting game protagonists have to be fit guys in their 20s? OK then, here's an octagenarian female protagponist".

"Head/color swaps, you say? OK, the final boss will be her twin sister."

Nobody ever brings up the Goketsujis in discussions about female protagonists :(

Moondrop

Banned
Eternal Champions was amazing! You think it was difficult (as a child) to do fatalities in MK? Try lining up your opponents for these stage hazard fatalities.

It's refined and polished to the point of mirror-like perfection these days because of just so many sequels to so few one-on-one fighting games, but I gotta say that I think the 90s was the peak of the side-view fighter and that includes the 3D games since they operate in fundamentally the same way. So much variation compared to the last decade and a half even if a lot of it was directly inspired by the top successes in the genre, today's titles are even more narrow despite them being at the arguable zenith of their respective series. Melee-based games, in general, peaked in that decade.

I use to play so many of these games when I was a kid. Getting nostalgic now and might boot up some up tonight to re experience the cheese.

DoubleTap

Love these "clones"! I wish more of them made it to home consoles.

My favorites are Power Instinct and Fighters History. Just received my retron 5 so I'm going to be playing these again for sure.

Krejlooc

Banned

Ultimate Body Blows was a huge update, but none of the Body Blows games are really very good. Fightin' Spirit is way, way better, but it's more of a Fatal Fury clone than Street Fighter Clone.

Shadow Warrior is probably the best fighting game on the Amiga, even if the art is bland.

I think it has aged better than a lot of other SF2 clones. Both in gameplay and visuals. It might even be the most visually impressive 16-bit fighter. I think it owes a lot to being developed natively for the hardware instead of being a gimped arcade port. And Xavier is probably one of my favorite fighting game characters in concept and design.

If you think EC aged well, definitely check out it's much improved sequel on the Sega CD. It's to EC, what Super Street Fighter 2 was to SF2. So many more moves, fatalities, combos, and characters. Like 34 characters in the game. Really good for the time.

abadguy

Banned
Oh, man, I have nothing but great memories for Martial Champions. I played that shit daily in the arcade. Goldor is overpowered, and Racheal is hot! :D
Fuckin Salamander, man! Lost so many quarters on that boss fight. I mained Goldor too.

extralite

It seems so strange to consider it now, but after SFII rocked the world and for several years afterwards, releasing a fighting game was a pretty much guaranteed way to make money. It was one of the most dominant genres from the early to mid '90s, and everyone had a go at making one.
The same really with survival games after RE and hunting games after MH (made the transition to handhelds). Capcom has a knack for popularizing genres.

dcx4610

I loved them all at the time which is strange because I have very little interest in fighting games today. They feel like they belonged to the arcade generation. I don't get enjoyment out of them unless I'm playing someone in person.

That said, I think World Heroes was probably the best clone. I was really happy when it came out on the SNES.

905306-935715_20081001_002.jpg

Looking at that picture makes me laugh how much of a copycat the game ended up being.

Ryu - Fei Long - Dhalsim - Bison - Vega - Chun Li - Blanka
Ken - Honda - Cammy - Zangief - ??? - Sagat - Balrog

Krejlooc

Banned
I loved them all at the time which is strange because I have very little interest in fighting games today. They feel like they belonged to the arcade generation. I don't get enjoyment out of them unless I'm playing someone in person.

That said, I think World Heroes was probably the best clone. It played well and was different enough that it stood out from Street Fighter. I was really happy when it came out on the SNES.

905306-935715_20081001_002.jpg

Ha, actually ADK was sued by capcom because they alleged that World Heroes violated copyright claims on Street Fighter II. EDIT: Capcom lost, though, IIRC.

Fatal Fury is far and away the best quality "Street Fighter Clone" to the point where I'd say I like it actually more than the real SF2 series. There is a high quality FF game for virtually every SF game that exists. Like SF2'? Then get Fatal Fury Special. Like the Alpha series? Then try Real Bout.

The biggest gem in the series is Garou: Mark of the Wolves, which I feel is actually superior to Street Fighter 3: 3S. I'd say MotW is one of the finest 2D fighters of all time, actually.

I dunno if I'd call Art of Fighting or King of Fighters Street Fighter clones, personally. They're pretty different kinds of fighting games.

Loona

You forgot Fatal Fury.

Fatal Fury is an estranged brother series, not a clone - it was created by Takashi Nishiyama, who also created SF1, but did so at a different company.

Also, Every game in that series except for Garou tried to implement some form of 3D movement, which SF generally ignored throughout its entire history. Just about every other aspect of FF's gameplay was likely to change every couple of game or so, particularly the control scheme. It lives more on a consistent setting than on consistent gameplay.

Castef

Banned

Eh, this list is not properly true, actually.

The true copycats in World Heroes where:
Hanzou -> Ryu
Fuuma -> Ken
Blocken -> Dhalsim
Muscle Power -> Zangief

The other fighters are quite different, in terms of moves.

Krejlooc

Banned
Fatal Fury is an estranged brother series, not a clone - it was created by Takashi Nishiyama, who also created SF1, but did so at a different company.

Also, Every game in that series except for Garou tried to implement some form of 3D movement, which SF generally ignored throughout its entire history. Just about every other aspect of FF's gameplay was likely to change every couple of game or so, particularly the control scheme. It lives more on a consistent setting than on consistent gameplay.

Removing the 3D aspect from Garou made it a much better game. My favorite FF game, besides Garou of course, is either Fatal Fury Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. I played sooooo much FFS when I got my Neo Geo, and similarly, I RBFFS was one of the first import Saturn titles I got back in the day, and I played the hell out of it, too.

It's crazy how far beyond Garou is from all those, though. I would do sick things for a sequel to that game. Shame Fatal Fury never had its "Street Fighter 4."

Yeah pretty much as far as 'clones' are concerned, fighters history takes it. Even at the time. Everything else were just entries in to a growing genre, no need to call them clones.

Kreijooc said:
"Street Fighter 4."

I don't like what this implies.

After the initial wave of SF2 clones, we also started getting the Mortal Kombat clones. And that was just reaching a whole new level of pure sleaze.

The only two i can think of, are Killer Instinct and Primal Rage what others where there?
Hmmm, clone this thread into an MK thread lol

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't like what this implies.

A modern revival.

The only two i can think of, are Killer Instinct and Primal Rage what others where there?
Hmmm, clone this thread into an MK thread lol

Oh man, so many. Eternal Champions was pretty much an MK clone. Then you had stuff like Time Killers in the arcades. Lots of really terrible home console fighters, too, like Katsumi Ninja on the Jaguar or Way of the Warrior on the 3DO (made by Naughty Dog). There is also Ultra Vortek on the Jaguar, which I won't lump with Katsumi Ninja or Way of the Warrior (because it's at least playable) but it's not really good.

MK clones tended to be poor games in general with a focus on gore. In that regard, Eternal Champions is probably the best MK clone ever.

This is all off the top of my head, there are lots, and lots, and lots of MK clones.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo many of the games in this thread are not SF2 clones, just post SF2 games, some of those have really little in common with SF2.

Iirc the main problem with Amiga fighting games was the standard joystick only having one button. There were 2 button joysticks and pads, but not everyone had them, so developers had to work with that absurd limit.

Another obscure fighter from the 90s was Shadow Fighter:

Shadow_Fighter-3.png

it's the first game I can remember made 100% in Italy (by a team of... 3 guys) that was actually published by an international company (Gremlin Interactive), and it was also pretty good.
I agree, that was the best fighting game on amiga together with Fighting Spirits(i never understood the praise for the Elfmania).

Looking at that picture makes me laugh how much of a copycat the game ended up being.

3/4 of the World Heroes cast play nothing like Street Fighter characters. Ryoko=Chun-Li? Wut?

dcx4610

I'd like to see Naughty Dog make right and do a new Way of the Warrior complete with another awesome soundtrack but actually try to complete with the Street Fighters and MKs of the world and make a good game.

Krejlooc

Banned
Imo many of the games in this thread are not SF2 clones, just post SF2 games, some of those have really little in common with SF2.

I would agree that the following that have been mentioned aren't really Street Fighter Clones:

Ultimate Body Blows: Always seemed to have more in common with Art of Fighting
Shadow Fighter: Seemed more like a Ultimate Body Blows clone, lol. This is my favorite Amiga fighting game, though
One Must Fall 2097: Really it's own thing
Rise of the Robots: Also it's own thing. Also really awful.
Eternal Champions: Actually has much more in common with things like MK3 than anything else, with it's dial-a-combo system.
Fightin' Spirit: Definitely a Fatal Fury clone
FX Fighter: Really awful Virtua Fighter/Tohshinden clone

Fatal Fury: Even though I listed it, I would really call it Street Fighter's main competition than a clone. They both evolved from the same game, the first street fighter. More like a half-brother than anything else.

I also saw someone mention Samurai Shodown, and I disagree with that so hard. SS was a very, very different fighting game. It's also the second best fighting game mentioned in this topic, behind Garou.

EDIT: I played so many fighting games. I really got big into the genre in the 90's. Really great memories of going to the arcade and spending all my money on SamSho 2, King of Fighters 95, Super Street Fighter 2, and MK2/3. The golden era.

EDIT AGAIN: To contribute, while I wouldn't say One Must Fall 2097 is a Street Fighter Clone, the ORIGINAL One Must Fall definitely was:

Onefall_000.png

Or at least half Street Fighter Clone, half IK+ clone.

vio

Iirc the main problem with Amiga fighting games was the standard joystick only having one button. There were 2 button joysticks and pads, but not everyone had them, so developers had to work with that absurd limit.

I guess so, but Mortal Kombat 2 dealt with that very good.

L Thammy

One Must fall 2097 was amazing. I bought the full game and it did not disappoint. Sequel sucked ass.

Seconded, I played that game so much. Great mechanics, combos, fatalities, loads of secrets, a decent tournament mode, and a nice leveling/upgrade aspect.

As some trivia, just found out about this a few days ago.

Unfortunately it was cancelled. No details have surfaced.

Sango Fighter rocked. Screw the haters.

That's the one I thought of. :) but I only played the shareware version. I wonder if it's freeware now wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Yes, it's freeware now. The IP was acquired by another company after a lawsuit.

Krejlooc

Banned
I guess so, but Mortal Kombat 2 dealt with that very good.

Depends on what you're talking about. The 2-button version when played on an A500? Good changes, played very faithfully. The 1-button version when played on an A500 with a normal joystick, or on an A1200 all together? Awful, just awful. Holding directions and tapping the button multiple times to distinguish between inputs doesn't work well unless the game is designed around it. It felt good in Shadow Fighters, it felt odd in MK. Shaq Fu on the Amiga has the same control scheme.

I tolerate Shadow Fighters because it kinda reminds me of stuff like Virtua Fighter or Smash Bros, where pressing attack + a direction gives you different attacks. The "double tap the button for high punch" business in MK just gets confusing, especially in the heat of battle.

Part of the reason why Fightin Spirit is such a good Amiga fighter, beyond the graphics, is because it supports the 6-button CD32 control pad.

The worst fighting game on the Amiga, IMO, is the CD32 port of Super Turbo, the only other home console port beyond the Saturn, PSX, and 3DO. Awful, awful port. Plays like a slideshow.

Krejlooc

Banned
omf-cdinlayjsj4j.gif

Unfortunately it was cancelled. No details have surfaced.

This reminds me that the box for Shadow Fighters has a sticker advertising an upcoming expansion pack that would add like 10 fighters or something, thereby making it the biggest fighting game ever at the time. Sounds like that was never released, either.

vio

Depends on what you're talking about. The 2-button version when played on an A500? Good changes, played very faithfully. The 1-button version when played on an A500 with a normal joystick, or on an A1200 all together? Awful, just awful. Holding directions and tapping the button multiple times to distinguish between inputs doesn't work well unless the game is designed around it. It felt good in Shadow Fighters, it felt odd in MK. Shaq Fu on the Amiga has the same control scheme.

I tolerate Shadow Fighters because it kinda reminds me of stuff like Virtua Fighter or Smash Bros, where pressing attack + a direction gives you different attacks. The "double tap the button for high punch" business in MK just gets confusing, especially in the heat of battle.

Part of the reason why Fightin Spirit is such a good Amiga fighter, beyond the graphics, is because it supports the 6-button CD32 control pad.

The worst fighting game on the Amiga, IMO, is the CD32 port of Super Turbo, the only other home console port beyond the Saturn, PSX, and 3DO. Awful, awful port. Plays like a slideshow.

Only played single button a1200 version. Maybe that`s why didn`t have any issues, but i seriously kicked ass at it. Combos and everything. My favorite fighting game.

Top Bottom