• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

abadguy

Banned
Turtles Tournament Fighters

4ASrLZR.jpg

DHyfbOr.gif

Why did the Genesis version suck so much? It was a completely different game! Having that version and playing a friends copy of the SNES version, i couldn't believe how much better a game it was. Couldn't even touch the Genesis version after that.

Jaeger

The SF2 clones were definitely by and large better than the MK clones, though the MK clones usually have a nearly unparalleled level in the history of arcade games of cheese and poor taste to them.

Personally, I rather like The Karate Tournament by Mitchell (which was staffed by a lot of quote-unquote "Capcom misfits"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9-UhjJH0CA

My understanding is that it follows karate rules on a fairly traditional basis and thus feels pretty dissimilar to the average SF2 clone. The frequent use of motion blur in the sprite work is also pretty interesting and unique to see in action.

Now this is interesting. It came out in '92, and the company does indeed consist of former Capcom employees. They also made the outstanding Osman (unofficial Strider sequel). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVMlC8uVjqU

What about Operation Ragnagard on NeoGeo? Hated that steaming pile of shit, though that was probably aiming at the prerendered CG style in Killer Instinct.

Oh my gawd, my eyes.

The SF2 clones were definitely by and large better than the MK clones, though the MK clones usually have a nearly unparalleled level in the history of arcade games of cheese and poor taste to them.

Personally, I rather like The Karate Tournament by Mitchell (which was staffed by a lot of quote-unquote "Capcom misfits"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9-UhjJH0CA

My understanding is that it follows karate rules on a fairly traditional basis and thus feels pretty dissimilar to the average SF2 clone. The frequent use of motion blur in the sprite work is also pretty interesting and unique to see in action.

That game looks really interesting. The motion blur is pretty novel. I wonder how that'd look applied to Mortal Kombat sprites.

AmyS

Bumping this older thread, because I didn't participate in it and I really want to now.

Wasn't Fighter's History the one SF2 clone that ended up in a lawsuit from Capcom for being such a blatant ripoff?

Yeah, it was pretty blatant. Capcom didn't win though.

Yea, that's the one Capcom U.S.A. sued Data East for, and lost.

This is relevant -- EGM issue 58 - May 1994:

IyUfGzs.jpg

nSfsn2g.jpg

ZaWXySh.jpg

Then you have games like Kaiser Knuckle (Taito 1994) which has very detailed spritework, wonderful parallax scrolling, and some scaling effects. Stages that actually take damage and stay until the match ends, and walls that break away. Shits crazy. And the soundtrack is pretty great, too. How this went under my radar for so long, I don't know.

DJL4cdd.jpg

Kaiser Knuckle (aka Global Champion) on the Taito F3 System has to be one of my favorite 2D fighters. The parallax, scaling and breakable backgrounds are awesome.
Taito's 32-bit F3 hardware was a worthy upgrade over SNK's Neo Geo MVS. Probably only the Sega Saturn and arcade ST-V were more powerful 2D machines.

Love that game, along with Breaker's Revenge, Fighter's History Dynamite (aka Karnov's Revenge), World Heroes Perfect, Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special. I was really into those, whereas the King of Fighters series didn't appeal to me nearly as much, even though it's still a great series.

L Thammy

I don't think I knew this when the thread was posted, but Martial Champions is kind of a recursive cloning situation. Street Fighter took the formula of Yie Ar Kung Fu, then Martial Champions (originally planned as Yie Ar Kung Fu 2) took the formula of Street Fighter II.

outsidah

So many flashbacks! Fighters were one of the reasons I loved my Saturn.

One in particular I haven't seen mentioned is Groove On Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3. Strange but awesome 2v2 fighter.

AmyS

So many flashbacks! Fighters were one of the reasons I loved my Saturn.

One in particular I haven't seen mentioned is Groove On Fight: Gouketsuji Ichizoku 3. Strange but awesome 2v2 fighter.

Isn't that basically Power Instinct 3?

Osman by Mitchell Corp. was incredible

Osman / Cannon-Dancer was an awesome Strider clone I mean spiritual successor by the main man behind the original Strider.

AmyS

sorry, double post.

Remember when Capcom tried to sue Data East over Fighters History?

lol :p

Does anyone often get mixed up with Fighter's History, Fighter's History Dynamite/Karnov's Revenge. Breaker's, Breaker's Revenge, Power Instinct, Knuckle Heads, Martial Champion ?

I can't seem to keep which game runs on what hardware, etc i.e. Fighter's Histroy Dynamite / Karnov's Revenge is a Neo Geo game, but the original was not.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My favorite thing about Data East winning that court case over Capcom is that they then made Fighter's History Dynamite, which included a female character with some obvious Chun-Li like leg attacks. Like rubbing salt in the wound.

Why did the Genesis version suck so much? It was a completely different game! Having that version and playing a friends copy of the SNES version, i couldn't believe how much better a game it was. Couldn't even touch the Genesis version after that.

..... i spent years playing the genesis version with my friend and we loved the game. only played a few minutes of the snes version and was never really impressed. now i have to track down a copy for the snes and try it again.

Top Bottom