• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakipon

That's bullshit, it would have happened if it was said at any E3 press conference.

Mainstream media types like this guy aren't Sony fanboys, they just know a rape reference when they hear one.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...e_protagonists_are_needed_in_video_games.html

So do MS executives.

Since the thread keeps going on, I think Spencer's apology should be added to the OP and possibly to the title. Clearly someone at MS sees the negative connotations in what the KI guy said.

legacyzero

Banned
you-guys-still-here.gif
Lol

Pretty much what I was thinking.

RedShift

I doubt they thought 'hey let's imply I'm raping you during the demo, that'll sell copies', they probably just thought 'hey let's put on some typical "gaming smack talk"'. Unfortunately "gaming smack talk" was invented by 11 year old boys and thus contains a lot of references to rape. The result is a really awkward conversation that really should have been thought through a lot better.

All the people saying they don't see how this could be connected with rape, I worry about your verbal reasoning/comprehension skills. Unless you're purposefully trying to not see a connection then I'm amazed you can't understand.

That's bullshit, it would have happened if it was said at any E3 press conference.

Mainstream media types like this guy aren't Sony fanboys, they just know a rape reference when they hear one.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...e_protagonists_are_needed_in_video_games.html

So do MS executives.

It's called PR. They know that idiots will be offended, so they're getting on the front foot and quashing it ASAP. Like when you say sorry to your sister after kicking her in the face, just so your Mum stops yelling. You don't mean it, but you know it'll get you off the hook.

And it wasn't a rape reference. Ever.

I doubt they thought 'hey let's imply I'm raping you during the demo, that'll sell copies', they probably just thought 'hey let's put on some typical "gaming smack talk"'. Unfortunately "gaming smack talk" was invented by 11 year old boys and thus contains a lot of references to rape. The result is a really awkward conversation that really should have been thought through a lot better.

All the people saying they don't see how this could be connected with rape, I worry about your verbal reasoning/comprehension skills. Unless you're purposefully trying to not see a connection then I'm amazed you can't understand.

I got to ask, do people really think Microsoft scripted the ENTIRE conversation, word for word? COME ON. Of course there would have been a run-sheet, and I'm sure they were instructed to initiate some painful 'smack-talk' to each other, but to believe this was all scripted? Haha. Conspiracy theory.

This was from the people who allowed a Battlefield 4 developer die on stage, for 30 seconds, over and over, because someone hit the wrong button.

Wazzy

Banned
I died at bigyouth's typo(?) and all the replies to it on the last page, my sides hurt.
Even if it's a typo, saying you love rape jokes is not normal. I'm all for dark humour but I would never proclaim I love murder, abuse, racist or sexual assault jokes.

It's super obvious to me now that "relax, let it happen, it will be over soon" is completely about rape. It's one of those sayings that has been so pervasive that it has lost it's original meaning in our culture. I had to be older and think back on it to even see. It's like how I didn't realize how incredibly racist "get your cotton picking hands off her" was until I was in my 20s and thought about what context that would originally be used in.

Edit: I want to add, it's also super obvious that he didn't mean it is rape in the conference. It's like using a racial slur without realizing it's a racial slur.

I think it's sayings like this that our grandchildren will point to when they say their grandparents are completely out of touch and insensitive, much like how young people today note their racist grandparents.

Curufinwe

It's called PR. They know that idiots will be offended, so they're getting on the front foot and quashing it ASAP. Like when you say sorry to your sister after kicking her in the face, just so your Mum stops yelling. You don't mean it, but you know it'll get you off the hook.

And it wasn't a rape reference. Ever.

It was, even though the guy probably didn't mean it that way. Hence the reaction to it from all sorts of different people.

It was, even though the guy probably didn't mean it that way. Hence the reaction to it from all sorts of different people.

No, it wasn't.

90% of people have believed this to be a massive beat-up. Even this thread underlines it. The vast majority of people don't think it was a rape joke at all. Sadly, the internet allows any old idiot to spout their crazy views and only takes a few people to light a fire up beneath it and make it seem credible.

Thankfully, common sense has prevailed and this one is shrivelling and dying from logical malnutrition.

Pyronite

This. This, exactly.

coopolon

Doesn't the mere fact that so many people, from multiple backgrounds and walks of life, immediately cringed when hearing that line and thought "rape" suggest someone should have caught it during the many writing/proof reading/practicing steps the conference went through?

Pyronite

90% of people have believed this to be a massive beat-up. Even this thread underlines it. The vast majority of people don't think it was a rape joke at all. Sadly, the internet allows any old idiot to spout their crazy views and only takes a few people to light a fire up beneath it and make it seem credible.

Thankfully, common sense has prevailed and this one is shrivelling and dying from logical malnutrition.

35891134.jpg

I bet you also believe this meme isn't about rape.

Or how about this, written in 2009? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just let it happen

How about this? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101030130333AAU7TYZ

Or this. http://voices.yahoo.com/rape-just-let-happen-227206.html

Or this. http://www.safecenter.org/sexual_assault_faq.html

Or this. http://www.psychforums.com/rape-sexual-assault/topic11809.html

Here you go, do more research: http://lmgtfy.com/?q="let+it+happen"+rape+-e3+-microsoft+-sloth

But naw, anyone who thinks the phrase has a connotation with rape is an "idiot".

Branduil

Doesn't the mere fact that so many people, from multiple backgrounds and walks of life, immediately cringed when hearing that line and thought "rape" suggest someone should have caught it during the many writing/proof reading/practicing steps the conference went through?

No because it's all a vast conspiracy to drum up as much artificial controversy as possible, obviously, and possibly one concocted by Microsoft-haters. Clearly anyone who interpreted this as a rape joke has mental problems and I'm not even going to examine why they would think that because my perspective on the issue is the only one possible.

Zoe

35891134.jpg

I bet you also believe this meme (made well before the Microsoft press conference) isn't about rape.

Hey, what's the name of that meme again? Oh yeah - rape sloth.

Or how about this, written in 2009? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just let it happen

But naw, anyone who thinks the phrase has a connotation with rape is an "idiot".

A phrase along this line has been around a lot longer than 2009. It's been around a lot longer than the internet.

It may have been appropriated for rape jokes, but that doesn't mean that's its origin.

Just a comment. Im not sure if someone else caught it, and seriously I thought it wasnt worth mentioning.

I didnt think that was a "rape" joke. It was a misquote of Hannibal in Red Dragon. (and hannibal I think) he "conforts" his victims as they are dying.

Also (and patricia forgot to mention this) she kicked HIS ass as sabrewulf, while she was broadcasting in twitch, she pulled an ultra I think (it was all staged, anyway)

You know whats really sad? if they were too women or two men at stage, no one had said a damn thing, thats SEXISM.

Thats all I have to say, this is where I drop the mike and leave.

Wazzy

Banned
A phrase along this line has been around a lot longer than 2009. It's been around a lot longer than the internet.

It may have been appropriated for rape jokes, but that doesn't mean that's its origin.
I don't think it matters if this was it's origin or not, the fact it's a meme and quite popular means it now has connections to rape.

I mean the word fag used to refer to a bundle of sticks and cigarettes but it has changed to be made into an insult against gay people.

Zoe

I don't think it matters if this was it's origin or not, the fact it's a meme and quite popular means it now has connections to rape.

I mean the word fag used to refer to a bundle of sticks and cigarettes but it has changed to be made into an insult against gay people.

I think the meme's popularity is debatable considering how many people in this thread have never heard of it.

pixlexic

Banned
Who cares if it a is a rape joke? The context and connotation where in no way a threatening or sexually demeaning manner.

If that offends you then am sorry . Words are going to offend some people, but if it doesn't offend a vast majority of people then who are you to say that it should?

Jomjom

Banned
You guys are crazy if you didn't think that was a rape joke. I don't think people should be so offended though.

Reading that people said it's a sex joke is hilarious. That is totally something you would say during consensual sex... I mean you could, but only if you never want to have sex with that person again.

spirity

This is relevant. Rape can be a source of comedy. Dark humor is not for everybody though.
Rape Rap
http://youtu.be/hYA7uFmSTKg?t=1m1s
Spooning with Spoony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjMbpS2Whk

Even paedophilia can be a source for comedy, as Brass Eye's Paedogeddon episode shows. And I find it really funny (not the subject matter on its own, but the comedic angle on it). I will laugh at rape, racism, and any other topic you can mention if its actually funny. I don't get offended easily.

There are no taboo's in comedy, the only tasteless thing I find about about dark humor is if it just isn't done well.

Wazzy

Banned
I think the meme's popularity is debatable considering how many people in this thread have never heard of it.
But many did recognize it. The outrage is big enough that it got MS to apologize(people can say they just did it to look good but the way they worded it makes it seem they realized that there is an inappropriate connection with the joke) and have a few articles written on it.

But let's say we ignore the meme's popularity for a second, the fact it exists is still enough to make that connection to rape.

PSYGN

I had to play the video twice because I thought I missed the literal "rape" part. C'mon guys, this is taking it too far.

Jomjom

Banned
Even paedophilia can be a source for comedy, as Brass Eye's Paedogeddon episode shows. And I find it really funny (not the subject matter on its own, but the comedic angle on it). I will laugh at rape, racism, and any other topic you can mention if its actually funny. I don't get offended easily.

There are no taboo's in comedy, the only tasteless thing I find about about dark humor is if it just isn't done well.

This. Nothing really should be off topic for comedy. The only thing people should have been offended by is that the MS guy was not funny at all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I love Brass Eye, all time best show ever; however, I think you may have missed the point there. The comedy of that episode comes from the media/people's over-reaction and moral panic, not the actual act of paedophilia.

THRILLH0

Banned
Although I'm sadly I unsurprised with the direction this thread has taken, I would like to know why.

Do you little boys genuinely lack the basic comprehension skills to understand why this is a direct reference to rape or are you simply feigning ignorance in order to protect your hobby from another black eye in the area of its treatment of women?

Edit: oh shit, a new challenger has entered the fray - the "so what if it was a rape joke" crowd. There will never be anything sadder than adolescent boys attempting to justify the trivialisation of one of the most abhorrent acts to which a wan can ever be subjected.

Xilium

Didn't make that connection.

Serious question, what's the link between "it'll be over soon" and rape? As in, is that a phrase that is commonly used by rapist (either irl or in movies/tv), is it some kind of joke comedians use to reference rape, ect? I don't see/hear the phrase often but the only time I think it was directly related to rape is the rape sloth meme (and as with many memes, the image and it's predefined meaning are the constants; the text can be anything).

nbraun80

Although I'm sadly I unsurprised with the direction this thread has taken, I would like to know why.

Do you little boys genuinely lack the basic comprehension skills to understand why this is a direct reference to rape or are you simply feigning ignorance in order to protect your hobby from another black eye in the area of its treatment of women?

Edit: oh shit, a new challenger has entered the fray - the "so what if it was a rape joke" crowd. There will never be anything sadder than adolescent boys attempting to justify the trivialisation of one of the most abhorrent acts to which a wan can ever be subjected.
Oh soo sorry us unsophisticated people don't have the same opinion as you. Seriously you're being as childish as some in here with your "little boys" talk.

He was talking about the beating being over soon, I in no way heard a rape joke watching that live. It was a bit awkward/cheesy banter back and forth, but not rape.

someday

Banned
I can understand that plenty of people in this thread didn't see the rape aspect of this comment. What I don't understand is why none of those people can fucking accept the fact that others did. I made the connection while watching it, I raised my eyebrows over it, but that was it. I'm not offended truly believe neither presenter planned on being provocative, but I think it's ludicrous that so many here are pretending the rape meme doesn't exist at all. Maybe you hadn't heard it before but now you have. Just fucking accept it and quit acting like someone else's experiences don't count simply because you don't agree with them.

Yeah, and if you go to England and you hear someone ask for a fag you wouldn't get offended because the context isn't there to think that the person is trying to demean
gay people.

Just like if you're watching a video game conference and you hear someone say "It'll be over soon" you should have the common sense to see the context the person is using it in and see that its not actually a joke about sexually assaulting a person.

Vagabundo

You're bang on here. And just because internet memes have appropriated something for this own use does not mean they don't have other meaning or origins. Meme are not known for making much sense anyway.

someday

Banned
You're bang on here. And just because internet memes have appropriated something for this own use does not mean they don't have other meaning or origins. Meme are not known for making much sense anyway.

I think we all know the phrase has several meanings. It's just some are fighting tooth and nail to claim it doesn't have one particular meaning. The whole point is that it can and does have a rapey meaning too.

Pyronite

Good article, and references the fact that a lot of people just don't get it:

There's a lot of debate going around the interwebs regarding a comment made during the on-stage demo of Killer Instinct during the Microsoft E3 2013 media briefing. As part of a bit where a female community manager was supposed to be revealed as a secretly awesome gamer, the male producer of the game trash talked during a combo, saying “just let it happen, it'll be over soon” followed by a reference to a “fight stick”.

There was also a time when “gay” meant happy, and “bosom” could be used in public without inducing snickering. Language evolves, so I fully believe that there were people who didn't know that “just let it happen, it'll be over soon” does allude to rape. Many women, however, hear that gamer trash talk phrase in their nightmares. Who's right?
http://www.gamingexcellence.com/features/e3-2013-killer-instinct-and-rape-culture-in-gaming

Good article, and references the fact that a lot of people just don't get it:

http://www.gamingexcellence.com/features/e3-2013-killer-instinct-and-rape-culture-in-gaming
Just because words and phrases have multiple meanings doesn't mean you should eliminate those terms or words from vocabulary. That's why context is important.

Just like I said last page, you wouldn't go to England, see someone ask for a fag, and then label that person as homophobic. Because the context doesn't warrant it. Fag is still a terrible thing to call a homosexual and you should never do it out of respect. But that doesn't mean everytime you hear the word that you should automatically get
offended, because it has different meanings and contexts depending on where you are
and what is happening in the moment.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah, and if you go to England and you hear someone ask for a fag you wouldn't get offended because the context isn't there to think that the person is trying to demean
gay people.

Just like if you're watching a video game conference and you hear someone say "It'll be over soon" you should have the common sense to see the context the person is using it in and see that its not actually a joke about sexually assaulting a person.
Except that's not the same situation at all.

Let me give two examples that would be inappropriate but someone might not understand the meaning and negative connotation behind their words:

Let's say a white man is arguing with a black man and the white man says "stop going apeshit" or pretending the white guy started it by saying "stop monkeying around"

And

The British man says to a GAY man, pass him a fag.

Both are inappropriate and it's because there's deep meaning behind both words.

It's knowing when to use certain words and phrases appropriately and this conference was not it.

Because this was a male and female playing and the male was dominating, what he said was inappropriate.

Except that's not the same situation at all.

Let me give two examples that would be inappropriate but someone might not understand the meaning and negative connotation behind their words:

Let's say a white man is arguing with a black man and the white man says "stop going apeshit" or pretending the white guy started it by saying "stop monkeying around"

And

The British man says to a GAY man, pass him a fag.

Both are inappropriate and it's because there's deep meaning behind both words.

It's knowing when to use certain words and phrases appropriately and this conference was not it.

Because this was a male and female playing and the male was dominating, what he said was inappropriate.

Wow. I don't think either one of your examples are inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom