• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 3 hasnt done well. People hate best of breed games now?

Deg

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I say no to shitty load times. K? Thanks :p

PS3 is just around the corner anyhow.

Nice lame troll there Drinky.

Your loss. The difference is negligible compared to the GC SC2.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I wasn't trolling, and the 2-3 second load times for SC3 are certainly managable.

SC is the exception. Most PS2 games have shit for load times from my experience. My prerogative anyhow. Your prerogative to have one. There is no need to behave like you usually do.

I would think someone your age would be more mature and actually not troll and sound like a fanboy, but most of your posts are pretty childish and lame. I wonder when you will decide it's time to grow up.

I grew up a long time ago, and my tolerance for idiots is apparently not asymptotal.

I should add that I'm not the one NOT buying a superb game just because it appeared on a platform I own but dislike, so don't fucking lecture me about skewed priorities.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Soul Calibur peaked with SC2. Having Link as a playable character raised the profile of the game entirely and got a lot of press in the mags that encouraged people to buy the game, even if they weren't getting the cube version with him. Now the series is just another boring 3d fighter with bland characters - nothing to attract the casual fan.

Deg

Banned
Nerevar said:
Soul Calibur peaked with SC2. Having Link as a playable character raised the profile of the game entirely and got a lot of press in the mags that encouraged people to buy the game, even if they weren't getting the cube version with him. Now the series is just another boring 3d fighter with bland characters - nothing to attract the casual fan.

SC2 was the peak in sales for all the wrong reasons. Doesnt mean its the best game. Judging from people's responses here i doubt they even bothered with SC1. SC2 only sold well because it got the fanboys in a rush. Look at Xbox fanboys, even if SC3 came on xbox 360, DOA would still outsell it.

Matlock

Banned
Soul Calibur 3 isn't even that hot of a game. It has great graphics, but it's a definite step back from Soul Calibur 2 in gameplay. Stuff feels less refined, a bit dumber...Bah.

Deg

Banned
Matlock said:
Soul Calibur 3 isn't even that hot of a game. It has great graphics, but it's a definite step back from Soul Calibur 2 in gameplay. Stuff feels less refined, a bit dumber...Bah.

Thats a flat out lie.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I grew up a long time ago, and my tolerance for idiots is apparently not asymptotal.

I should add that I'm not the one NOT buying a superb game just because it appeared on a platform I own but dislike, so don't fucking lecture me about skewed priorities.

Sorry Drinky, but mature adults don't behave like you do, despite what you have to say about the subject.

You aren't winning the debate by throwing out insults because people don't own what you consider to be the superior platform. In fact, all you are doing is just showing how immature and childish you really are. Your opinion isn't fact, and it doesn't give you a right to insult others either. Once you have resorted to personal insults, you've pretty much lost the debate at that point.

And, in my opinion, you still haven't grown up - because actions speak far louder than words.

Deg

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Sorry Drinky, but mature adults don't behave like you do, despite what you have to say about the subject.

You aren't winning the debate by throwing out insults because people don't own what you consider to be the superior platform. In fact, all you are doing is just showing how immature and childish you really are. Your opinion isn't fact, and it doesn't give you a right to insult others either. Once you have resorted to personal insults, you've pretty much lost the debate at that point.

And, in my opinion, you still haven't grown up - because actions speak far louder than words.
Hey Mr.Mature your comments about SC3 arent exactly mature either.

Electrii

Me and my friends can't get enough of the vs. mode. I don't really care for the single player.

This thread is hilarious, I bet if the game was multi-platform, by now everyone would be magically circlejerking about it in a 1000 page thread.

Matlock

Banned
Deg said:
Thats a flat out lie.

Keep telling yourself that, buddy. Soul Calibur 2 was great fun with a bit of depth behind its button mashing exterior. Soul Calibur 3 is more heavily button masher friendly, and even though it has some depth--that's all for naught.

I don't care if it was released on PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360, DS, PSP, PC, Gizmodo, N-Gage...Soul Calibur 3 just feels more like Soul Calibur 1.75.

:p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Deg said:
Hey Mr.Mature your comments about SC3 arent exactly mature either.

What, that I don't feel sorry for Namco because they didn't release the game on multiple platforms? That they pretty much thumbed their noses at the other platforms for whatever reason? Please. Spare me. Namco is a company, and I can disagree with their policies if I like. And I can also not feel sorry for them if their game didn't sell well. There is nothing immature about that. Try again Deg.

What would be immature is for me to call them names and swear up and down about how fucking stupid Namco management is. I didn't do that.

Deg

Banned
Matlock said:
Keep telling yourself that, buddy. Soul Calibur 2 was great fun with a bit of depth behind its button mashing exterior. Soul Calibur 3 is more heavily button masher friendly, and even though it has some depth--that's all for naught.
:p

You're alone on this.

Dr_Cogent said:
What, that I don't feel sorry for Namco because they didn't release the game on multiple platforms? That they pretty much thumbed their noses at the other platforms for whatever reason? Please. Spare me. Namco is a company, and I can disagree with their policies if I like. And I can also not feel sorry for them if their game didn't sell well. There is nothing immature about that. Try again Deg.

What would be immature is for me to call them names and swear up and down about how fucking stupid Namco management is. I didn't do that.

Try to make your reasons sound less like trolls next time. Sure the game isnt multiplatform but that doesnt make it a bad game automatically. Look at Pd0 its not a bad game but niether is it anything special. You can see the fanboys getting ina hissy fit who want it to be extreme good or bad.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Deg said:
Try to make your reasons sound less like trolls next time. Sure the game isnt multiplatform but that doesnt make it a bad game automatically. Look at Pd0 its not a bad game but niether is it anything special. You can see the fanboys getting ina hissy fit who want it to be extreme good or bad.

Oh, I have no idea if its a bad game or not Deg. I don't insinuate for the most part. If I thought it was bad, I would say so. I'm just not keen on Namco's decision because I am an avid fan of the series, but I am not going to buy a PS2 just to play it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
And the countless other great exclusive games on the PS2 won't make swallowing your pride easier?

I played most of them Drinky (I had a PS2 since launch and only recently within the last 9 months to a year got rid of it). God of War looks good, but I'm not buying a PS2 to play just that. The MGS series does very little for me, and I'm not really all that keen on Jak and Daxter games. I really don't have a good enough reason to re-buy a PS2. If I want to play God of War, I can buy a PS3 and play it then. It has nothing to do with swallowing my pride. It has everything to do with my limited gaming funds and how I decide to spend them.

Shadow of the Colossus is another game I may play on the PS3. I'm not dropping 150 bucks to play most likely only a couple more games on the PS2.

Deg

Banned
Matlock said:

Maybe it is a step back for people wanted the dumbed down GI, less characters with less differences etc. :lol

Dr_Cogent said:
I played most of them Drinky (I had a PS2 since launch and only recently within the last 9 months to a year got rid of it). God of War looks good, but I'm not buying a PS2 to play just that. The MGS series does very little for me, and I'm not really all that keen on Jak and Daxter games. I really don't have a good enough reason to re-buy a PS2. If I want to play God of War, I can buy a PS3 and play it then. It has nothing to do with swallowing my pride. It has everything to do with my limited gaming funds and how I decide to spend them.

Shadow of the Colossus is another game I may play on the PS3. I'm not dropping 150 bucks to play most likely only a couple more games on the PS2.

So its not about the games? ;)

Yeah, if you're going to emphasize some sort of practicality and sell a current-gen console, the Gamecube is really the only disposable one.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Deg said:
So its not about the games? ;)

It's about the games I want to play.

Xbox has had the majority of said games for me.

Gamecube I am only keeping around now until Zelda hits. Then it's gone.

Xiaoki

Deg- SC3 is horribly programmed and the gameplay breaking guard impact/throw glitches(which were found in just a couple weeks) proves me right.
Also, there are many other glitches and other things that were in SC2 and not fixed, now that's bad programming and lazy.

It's fine that you like SC3 but don't ignore facts.

Trojan X

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
Namco's mistake was releasing it directly to a console without going through multiple arcade revisions to fix bugs and balance issues that likely did not manifest themselves during standard playtesting.

You hit the nail on the head, no need to comment further there.

Btw - Soul Calibur 3 is plagued with bugs, major ones! I'm surprised it made it passed QA Testing - that was very bad on Namco's part.

Dr_Cogent said:

Xbox has had the majority of said games for me.

Gamecube I am only keeping around now until Zelda hits. Then it's gone.

Than why does it matter about SC3 if you didn't care about it? You're a multiconsole owner, yeah so am I. Time for me to complain!! Time to take a shot at PS2 hardware with loadtimes!!!

*Looks at Soul Calibur 3 standard matches*

...ahh...nevermind.

Deg

Banned
Xiaoki said:
Deg- SC3 is horribly programmed and the gameplay breaking guard impact/throw glitches(which were found in just a couple weeks) proves me right.
Also, there are many other glitches and other things that were in SC2 and not fixed, now that's bad programming and lazy.

It's fine that you like SC3 but don't ignore facts.

Other than the memory card issue everything is minor. The quality of the game simply isnt in question.

Then why are you in this thread? ;)

Oogami

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I wasn't trolling, and the 2-3 second load times for SC3 are certainly managable.

5-6 seconds actually in the character select screen just in switching to see your character. Created character even longer. And 8-9 seconds before each fight in Tales of Soul and Chronicle of Swords.

Not to mention the same unskippable boring cutscenes you've to sit through in Tales of Soul, and the boring as hell conversations in Chronicle of Swords. I guess Namco is in love with cutscenes ever since Xenosaga. Cutscenes in RPG I understand, but when in a fighting game, it's a big joke. Many casual fighting games fans are really turned off by this, and that Soul Calibur 3 gives the series a bad name. You don't know how disappointed I am as a huge fan of the series. :(

Just when you see the "Quick play" mode that should have been in the front page that actually allows for "quick play", but instead hiding inside the Soul Arena mode that's in the 3rd page that you wouldn't know that it's there, you know by then how unpolished and a rush job this game is. This might explain the bad sales.

There are many other things I'm disappointed of, like the dumb and cheap AI all in one, but there's no point to discuss any further when the topic opener instead of rational thinking and discussing why the game doesn't sell, just keep on jumping on everyone and calling people a system fanboy ironically. Everyone else is either just stupid or a system fanboy and not allowed to think that the game sux. I wonder what's the point of this thread actually.

Deg

Banned
5-6 seconds actually in the character select screen just in switching to see your character. Created character even longer. And 8-9 seconds before each fight in Tales of Soul and Chronicle of Swords.

Not to mention the same unskippable boring cutscenes you've to sit through in Tales of Soul, and the boring as hell conversations in Chronicle of Swords. I guess Namco is in love with cutscenes ever since Xenosaga. Cutscenes in RPG I understand, but when in a fighting game, it's a big joke. Many casual fighting games fans are really turned off by this, and that Soul Calibur 3 gives the series a bad name. You don't know how disappointed I am as a huge fan of the series. :(

Just when you see the "Quick play" mode that should have been in the front page that actually allows for "quick play", but instead hiding inside the Soul Arena mode that's in the 3rd page that you wouldn't know that it's there, you know by then how unpolished and a rush job this game is. This might explain the bad sales.

There are many other things I'm disappointed of, like the dumb and cheap AI all in one, but there's no point to discuss any further when the topic opener instead of rational thinking and discussing why the game doesn't sell, just keep on jumping on everyone and calling people a system fanboy ironically. Everyone else is either just stupid or a system fanboy and not allowed to think that the game sux. I wonder what's the point of this thread actually.

You do a good enough job of making yourself look stupid. If SC3 is a bad game then SC2 was shitter than Superman 64. :lol

Solid said:
I havent paid attention to this but.. this memory card error is it in the PAL version as well?

I've only read one person saying its still in but noone else has recreated the bug. You should be able to delete safely. The person kept deleting stuff several times in a row it so maybe its just less buggy but the bug is still there.

Tellaerin

Oogami said:

Try 2-3 seconds in the character select screen, tops. If you're experiencing longer load times than that before the models become visible, then there's something wrong with your PS2, not with the game. And it's not like you have to wait for the character models to finish loading before you can pick your character, either. This sounds like needless nitpicky bullshit to me, Oogami. Likewise, the load times before each battle in Tales of Soul aren't as long as you're making them out to be. About the only load times that do seem a little excessive are the ones in Chronicle, and even then, it's hardly a game-breaker for most of us.

Oogami said:
Not to mention the same unskippable boring cutscenes you've to sit through in Tales of Soul, and the boring as hell conversations in Chronicle of Swords.

Those 'unskippable boring cutscenes' in Tales of Soul last what, a few seconds each? Dodge the bouncing gear, exchange a few words with Tira, dodge the falling cage, watch Nightmare and Seigfried take a couple of swipes at each other... we're not talking about overwrought 30 minute cinema sequences here. As far as the 'boring as hell' conversations in Chronicles go, there's nothing stopping you from hammering X to skip through them in a couple of seconds once you've read them the first time.

Oogami said:
I guess Namco is in love with cutscenes ever since Xenosaga. Cutscenes in RPG I understand, but when in a fighting game, it's a big joke. Many casual fighting games fans are really turned off by this, and that Soul Calibur 3 gives the series a bad name. You don't know how disappointed I am as a huge fan of the series. :(

Oh, so you've conducted a poll, then? I'm interested in hearing how you learned that 'many casual fighting game fans' were turned off by the nitpicks you mentioned. Personally, I'd like to believe that casual gamers aren't a bunch of 'tards with the attention spans of gnats who get turned off by anything resembling a story in their games. Especially when those elements are easy enough to skip. Perhaps they could add an option to skip those sequences completely by hitting start, but again, you're deliberately making a mountain out of a molehill.

Oogami said:

So because the developers at Namco intended for Tales of Souls to be the main singleplayer mode and assumed that most people would want to concentrate on playing through that mode first, the game's suddenly 'unpolished' and a 'rush job'? That's so phenomenally stupid, it's not even funny. And how the fuck does that (or any of your other nitpicks) explain the game's 'bad sales' when to even notice any of this, you would already have to own the game?

Oogami said:

The point was to determine why the game didn't sell, not why people didn't like it after they already bought the damn thing. You know, questions like, 'Was the game not advertised well enough? Was it released too soon after SC 2? Was it really the exclusive characters/multiplatform release that drove sales of SC 2, and did releasing the game exclusively for the PS2 do it more harm than good?' The point wasn't to invite everyone who wanted to nitpick the game apart to come on in and air their grievances in a good old-fashioned bitchfest. We had an official SC3 thread for that. :p

Try 2-3 seconds in the character select screen, tops. If you're experiencing longer load times than that before the models become visible, then there's something wrong with your PS2, not with the game. And it's not like you have to wait for the character models to finish loading before you can pick your character, either. This sounds like needless nitpicky bullshit to me, Oogami. Likewise, the load times before each battle in Tales of Soul aren't as long as you're making them out to be. About the only load times that do seem a little excessive are the ones in Chronicle, and even then, it's hardly a game-breaker for most of us.

I agree, All Namco PS2 games have really quick load times.

Top Bottom