• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur II HD Online |OT| A Link To The Past

Lol this title.

But seriously as much as I'm having fun with this game on PS3, 20 bucks is way too steep. Personally when I played online all the matches I had were great in terms of connection, so seeing you guys say it gets pretty terrible doesn't give me much hope for the future in that regard. And of course the limited online options is definitely bad. No lobbies and having to reinvite friends after every private match is just dropping the ball at it's finest, as well as your only option is 1v1 normal vs, no extra weapons mode, no teams. The game's online component reeks of rushed bullshit. I should be thankful that I haven't had a single laggy match yet I guess, and now I'm wondering how long that will last. Half baked online mode aside, the game is still fun for me at least.

SkylineRKR

Played a batch of Free Match (lol) games, and had no lag today. One positive thing is how fast you are being matched up. But then ofcourse its being dragged down by the fucking intros, Namco obviously made sure its not too good.

I think I'll stick with Free Match. Match ups have been varied so far, last match was a mirror match against another Cassandra and I also faced off against Astaroth and Mitsu.

But this shit with being kicked back to the menu makes it hard for me to play it for too long. Its just a chore. Same with having to re-invite players, seriously wtf.

Shinta

Banned
Former Soul Calibur 2 world champion Aris is streaming a Nightmare tutorial right now if anyone is interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle#/w/7581405904

I just turned it on.

"People are tempted to use this move, but don't ever use this move. This move sucks 6 dicks in a row. If you use this move you wanna lose."

And that's really all I needed to listen to this guy about. He's talking about fucking down + back + horizontal with Nightmare. It's a fine move. Yeah, it's a little slow, but every move has a place, especially if its unexpected because people say its "off limits." Just saw him scroll through about 15 moves "all these moves suck, all these suck ... okay moving on." Whatever.

The FGC ... smh ...

Manbig

I just turned it on.

"People are tempted to use this move, but don't ever use this move. This move sucks 6 dicks in a row. If you use this move you wanna lose."

And that's really all I needed to listen to this guy about. He's talking about fucking down + back + horizontal with Nightmare. It's a fine move. Yeah, it's a little slow, but every move has a place, especially if its unexpected because people say its "off limits." Just saw him scroll through about 15 moves "all these moves suck, all these suck ... okay moving on." Whatever.

The FGC ... smh ...

Except that he's talking from experience vs the best players around the world. He also happens to have TieTYT backing up his info too. TieTYT is a pretty damn good Nightmare player that knows what he's talking about.

The reason he said those moves all suck is, quite frankly, because they all do. Lots of people have played lots of hours to know that already. There's A TON of moves in 3D fighting games that are just there to take up space.

Brofield

So, when the creators say they might consider Wii U support from twitter and facebook, they mean portbegging there, right?

I'll be back in a few...

Still though, friend got it on 360. Link missing notwithstanding, still a fun game after all these years. I think the biggest jarring disconnect though is the lack of bean buttons like on the Gamecube controllers. That's what I'll miss from the series more than anything. Death to the diamond button setup!

GrayFoxPL

Except that he's talking from experience vs the best players around the world. He also happens to have TieTYT backing up his info too. TieTYT is a pretty damn good Nightmare player that knows what he's talking about.

The reason he said those moves all suck is, quite frankly, because they all do. Lots of people have played lots of hours to know that already. There's A TON of moves in 3D fighting games that are just there to take up space.

Yeah, moves you throw once in a million only because you know the opponent forgot they exist.

Giard

I just turned it on.

The FGC ... smh ...

Wasn't he the SC2 world champ at some point? I'm guessing he's right. Even though he makes his point in an immature way.

I'm having fun with the game. Overpriced, but I got it for local multiplayer, so no complaints here.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I just turned it on.

The FGC ... smh ...
It is rather important to use moves that are useful at high level play. Also handy to milk max damage whenever possible etc. That's just how it is and SC2 has loads of superfluous moves in its movelist.

So you can use them if you like, but they're not going to be the best solution to what the other player is doing.

I just turned it on.

The FGC ... smh ...
It's just how SC2 is designed. Movelists are twice as big as they are in SC5, but SC5 has twice as many viable moves per character.

Shinta

Banned

I know that is the commonly held perspective, but I disagree. I think they all have a place, even if some of them are only useful in that 1 in 100 scenario that is rare and only happens every 100 matches.

Yes, I know I'm not a world champion. But I just don't like that attitude, and I would aspire to be a player who is able to compete at top levels while using as much of the game's options as possible.

I've played in some regional tournaments, but nothing huge. I know you need to be able to have your go to moves that are safe from retaliation because of bad reaction times on block. But if that's all you have, it gets boring and predictable, and I think its an asset to be able to mix it up substantially if you need to.

One of the things I resent in modern FG theory is the idea that there is basically one set way to play that is the best. And this gets passed around online and copied by countless others.

I'm more in the Daigo camp, where FGs are about winning, but they're also about expressing yourself in combat. Part of that is coming up with your own strategies, which for me, means taking a hard look at every move in the game.

/end rant

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I know that is the commonly held perspective, but I disagree. I think they all have a place, even if some of them are only useful in that 1 in 100 scenario that is rare and only happens every 100 matches.
Possibly, but you build up the experience of knowing when to try that stuff from the base offence. You can't treat every move like a special gem that will unlock the keys to the magic kingdom of domination. It's really not worth the effort.

Yes, I know I'm not a world champion. But I just don't like that attitude, and I would aspire to be a player who is able to compete at top levels while using as much of the game's options as possible.
That's great, but that comes with having the execution and knowledge of when to apply it.

Skilletor

I just turned it on.

The FGC ... smh ...

And I'm telling you that I punish that very move 9/10 times. lol

You might get away with it online, but offline? Pfft.

Those are two of the best players in the world talking about empirical data for each of those moves.

Malice215

I've played in some regional tournaments, but nothing huge. I know you need to be able to have your go to moves that are safe from retaliation because of bad reaction times on block. But if that's all you have, it gets boring and predictable, and I think its an asset to be able to mix it up substantially if you need to.

One of the things I resent in modern FG theory is the idea that there is basically one set way to play that is the best. And this gets passed around online and copied by countless others.

I'm more in the Daigo camp, where FGs are about winning, but they're also about expressing yourself in combat. Part of that is coming up with your own strategies, which for me, means taking a hard look at every move in the game.

/end rant

Soulcalibur gives you the freedom to play how you want, but if you want to play the game at a high level, then you need to understand which moves are good and which moves suck. If you are just throwing out moves just because you don't want to be boring or repetitive, or because of what Daigo said, then you will get punished for it by someone who knows how to actually play the game.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Soulcalibur gives you the freedom to play how you want, but if you want to play the game at a high level, then you need to understand which moves are good and which moves suck. If you are just throwing out moves just because you don't want to be boring or repetitive, or because of what Daigo said, then you will get punished for it by someone who knows how to actually play the game.

That, or you better damn well figure our a strategy that supports the moves you want to use so that the style is actually viable. (Hey, some times that works.)

Giard

Are there any good guides for characters online? I'm searching for some basic combos for Yoshimitsu, for example, and can't really find any.

Please don't take that Daigo quote at face value.

1) I can't even think of a single move Ryu has in SF4 has that's objectively garbage. Or even mediocre.

2) 2D fighting game characters don't have near as many moves (and thus, not as many shitty moves) as 3D fighting games.

So please don't actually read that quote as meaning you can use *really bad* moves and think that he means it that way, because he doesn't (and neither does anyone else at that level) play like that at all.

Shinta

Banned
Please don't take that Daigo quote at face value.

1) I can't even think of a single move Ryu has in SF4 has that's objectively garbage. Or even mediocre.

2) 2D fighting game characters don't have near as many moves (and thus, not as many shitty moves) as 3D fighting games.

So please don't actually read that quote as meaning you can use *really bad* moves and think that he means it that way, because he doesn't (and neither does anyone else at that level) play like that at all.

Sure they do. This same philosophy extends beyond moves to entire character match ups. Both of them picked "non-ideal" characters for match ups because they want to do it their own way, and are trying to craft their own unique paths to top level play.

What else would it mean? It means that they know what the whole FGC has agreed to homogenize on, and they're choosing to look for alternative strategies.

It's about representing yourself in the ring, at the best of your ability and creativity. Not being a carbon copy of someone else.

Ricker

Ok I am at that awful free fall section at the start of chapter 7...what do I do here...I managed to avoid most of the turning stuff and all but at one point,near the bottom I dont see any hole or whatever to go through...do I need to fire the hook or something...? I just crash on the floor...

Roto13

Ok I am at that awful free fall section at the start of chapter 7...what do I do here...I managed to avoid most of the turning stuff and all but at one point,near the bottom I dont see any hole or whatever to go through...do I need to fire the hook or something...? I just crash on the floor...

Use a Soul Charge

Skilletor

Sure they do. This same philosophy extends beyond moves to entire character match ups. Both of them picked "non-ideal" characters for match ups because they want to do it their own way, and are trying to craft their own unique paths to top level play.

What else would it mean? It means that they know what the whole FGC has agreed to homogenize on, and they're choosing to look for alternative strategies.

It's about representing yourself in the ring, at the best of your ability and creativity. Not being a carbon copy of someone else.

That's cool, but you're still going to get punished when you use shit moves vs. a good person. Not using shit moves doesn't mean I'm copying somebody else.

Kimosabae

Banned
I agree with you to an extent, Shinta. There's definitely a mind lock that tends to happen in high level cultures. This is exacerbated in 3D FGs where the movelists become quite large and you can find success with a character utilizing ~10 moves. IMO, SC2's meta never developed fully as the scene died prematurely, so there's also that. I remember people telling me Cervy's 11K was a bad move because he had 1K. lol. I got my local scene to change their minds about that move quickly.

That said, you can't think outside the box if you don't know what the box is. Aris was one of SC2's most knowledgable players, so try to consider why he'd think Nighty's 1A is a bad move before dismissing his opinion or deciding to appropriate it into your gameplay.

Sectus

Another screenshot comparison for the heck of it, this time with HDMI cables so component won't mess up the image quality.

Xbox 360: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-51sejn.png
Dolphin: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-6buc9f.png
Official Xbox screenshot: http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2003/xbox/soulcalibur2/sc2_xbox_0327_screen090.jpg

There's some stuff which is rendered differently, although I'm not sure if it's for the better or worse. Cassandra's stockings are super shiny. Everything looks to be of much higher contrast. There's some different shadowing going on. Also a couple of textures are different. The gears in the background are different, but the new texture looks far blurrier.

Edit: One final comparison:

Xbox 360: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-8vyi2f.png
Dolphin: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-76tfa3.png

They've definitely done some mistakes. Taki's suit and hair is overly shiny, while Ivy has lost some of the shiny details on her suit. It looks like various shadow effects is the only thing which has definitely improved.

Edit: One final comparison:

Xbox 360: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-8vyi2f.png
Dolphin: http://abload.de/img/sc2hd-76tfa3.png

They've definitely done some mistakes. Taki's suit and hair is overly shiny, while Ivy has lost some of the shiny details on her suit. It looks like various shadow effects is the only thing which has definitely improved.

Dat Ivy ass! Seriously though; the HD remake looks like it has more blurred textures. Kind of annoying they didn't get it looking as sharp as the emulated Cube version.

Sectus

Majority of blurriness would have been fixed had they bothered with AF. It's a bit surprising as it's a very common feature.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Aris also said he'd rather eat dog shit than play the game online.

Games radar doesn't seem especially knowledgeable on the sc2 glitches that null go as a viable tactic etc. Seems like a 100% nostalgia goggle review by someone disinterested in competitive play.

Eurogamer doesn't even mention the piss poor online user interface.

Alfredo

I just turned it on.

The FGC ... smh ...

He was doing a quick tutorial on a character. It's a fast track to learning the character's most effective moves.

If you wanna forge your own playstyle and memorize every single move on a character, cool, but that's not what his tutorial is for. You don't need to disregard all his opinions (and Aris has crappy opinions all the time, but he's hilarious in his hyperbole, so it's cool, too). Take the knowledge, incorporate it into your own playstyle. You don't need Aris to tell you to do that.

I bought the game for Xbox 360. A couple of thoughts:

+ The game is pretty active on ranked, I can find a match in a few seconds
+ The connection isn't as good as SoulCalibur V, but it's still pretty good most of the time
+ SoulCalibur II is still as fun as ever

- There are no green bar connection indicators online
- Why are there no Japanese voices?
- Ranked matches are set to 2 rounds, not 3 rounds. Why? Even SoulCalibur V had 3 rounds as default...
- Non-skippable intros and winposes

Hopefully they can fix some of those with a patch, I don't think it would be THAT hard to fix. Fuck it, I would buy DLC for the Japanese voices...

Regardless, bring on SoulCalibur 3 Arcade Edition Online!

Degen

To see them treat SC2's online component this way is a shame

I was hoping that SC5 and TTT2 were the new standard. Maybe it'll get patched

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
To see them treat SC2's online component this way is a shame

I was hoping that SC5 and TTT2 were the new standard. Maybe it'll get patched

After all the glowing reviews that don't even mention problems with the online, I wonder if Namco didn't design this around the premise that Soulcalibur players are all single player casuals who don't care about MP at all.

FTF

I, I think you're in the wrong thread...

this is for Killzone SF right?

Top Bottom