• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur II HD Online |OT| A Link To The Past

Skilletor

Well, yeah, it sucks about the Online. But is still very much playable and enjoyable nonetheless.

Seems like good online and a fighter game is the exception with a few titles. Most games always have issues.

I dunno, even at $20 is a very nicely put together package for local play. But, yeah, I don't play these things online so I don't know what I'm missing. So it all seems great.

And having english voices is an asset! Can't imagine this with japanese.

Skullgirls
VF
SF4
SxT
Blazblue
Persona
SC5
TTT2
KoF13 (Steam edition)

All perfectly playable online. Along with the rereleases by Capcom. VS, MSH, 3s, MvC2. Playable. DoA5 handles lag poorly, but when it works, it's decent enough to get practice in.

Bad netcode is an exception now. Most games don't have issues.

And even if you can't imagine the game with Japanese, it was in the initial release and should be in the rerelease.

Sayah

It had both voice tracks before. English was always there.

Meh. Don't see that as a huge issue. It's not like the English voice acting is garbage.
"THIS IS......THE END."
I'm playing it right now and I'm liking it. I forgot how much I loved this game before. It's just plain fun. So much nostalgia. And it looks GREAT.

Skullgirls
VF
SF4
SxT
Blazblue
Persona
SC5
TTT2
KoF13 (Steam edition)

All perfectly playable online. Along with the rereleases by Capcom. VS, MSH, 3s, MvC2. Playable. DoA5 handles lag poorly, but when it works, it's decent enough to get practice in.

And even if you can't imagine the game with Japanese, it was in the initial release and should be in the rerelease.

SFXT was pretty terrible online. The online first had sound issues but when they patched that, the lag levels spiked greatly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wasn't this game just a heavily graphically inferior version of 4 on the PSP?
Namco also made quite a few major changes to the fighting engine. They altered how GI's worked, increased the CF gauge damage, took away Hilde's doom combo etc.

It didn't have a decent single player/Story Mode/Arcade mode at all lol, and was pretty damned barebones compared to 4.

You never played it.

It actually had an extensive single player campaign though it was rather demented featuring Dampierre and UFO's etc.

If you're part of that 1% of people who are capable of noticing.
People notice real fast when they get hit by a relatively quick low that knocks them down and does 1/4 life.

Skilletor

Meh. Don't see that as a huge issue. It's not like the English voice acting is garbage.
"THIS IS......THE END."
I'm playing it right now and I'm liking it. I forgot how much I loved this game before. It's just plain fun. So much nostalgia. And it looks GREAT.

I hate the english voices. I think they ARE garbage. Especially when I'm forced to listen to them in ranked matches because I can't fucking skip intros and winposes. -_-

It's a huge issue because they cut content from the rerelease. This is a twenty dollar game and it's missing something many people enjoyed in the original release.

SFXT was pretty terrible online. The online first had sound issues but when they patched that, the lag levels spiked greatly.

I was playing post 2013 patch and it was great. PC/PS3 version was, anyway.

Exr

Please keep the netcode impressions coming, very tempted to crack and buy this to terrorize people online as Cervantes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Please keep the netcode impressions coming, very tempted to crack and buy this to terrorize people online as Cervantes.

Might as well run an older version through an emulator and play it online that way. Can't be worse than what we got.

Uraizen

Banned
Skullgirls
VF
SF4
SxT
Blazblue
Persona
SC5
TTT2
KoF13 (Steam edition)

*reads list* You nailed it.

Sad to hear the netcode is bad. That was my sole reason for wanting this game.

Sayah

I hate the english voices. I think they ARE garbage. Especially when I'm forced to listen to them in ranked matches because I can't fucking skip intros and winposes. -_-

It's a huge issue because they cut content from the rerelease. This is a twenty dollar game and it's missing something many people enjoyed in the original release.

Even when playing during the original, I never really switched to the Japanese VA. I love the English voice acting in this game so I guess it's up to opinion/personal preference.

I was playing post 2013 patch and it was great. PC/PS3 version was, anyway.

I played it during and a few months after release. Lost interest by the time the 2013 patch arrived. But I think people playing the early version can largely all say that the online was pretty atrocious.

scosher

I'm regretting cutting the cord already on PS3. Anyone know if this'll be available on PSN for PS4 any time in the future?

synce

Probably licensing issues with the voice talent.

Licensing? Is that really how things work? I've never heard of licensing voices, just music. And I assume Namco owns everything everyone did in SC2.

Anyway I heard Sophy's english dub in the SCLS trailer, you couldn't pay me to play a game with that kind of talent unless I was doing it ironically.

Xav

I'm assuming the Japanese track was removed for an actual reason, because it seems like more work to take it out than leave it in, really.

The voice actor who did Heihachi passed away in 2010. They likely couldn't re-license his old SoulCalibur II samples and instead chose to omit THE ENTIRE Japanese track which is stupid, how hard is it to re-voice one character?

I'm not sure if this is true or not but that's my best guess. There's a reason why Heihachi is suddenly young in Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Blame MS for the size restrictions that it has in place for XBLA games.

Sadly SoulCalibur wasn't the only one to suffer as a result, see Street Fighter II HD Remix.

Roto13

The voice actor who did Heihachi passed away in 2010. They likely couldn't re-license his old SoulCalibur II samples and instead chose to omit THE ENTIRE Japanese track which is stupid, how hard is it to re-voice one character?

I'm not sure if this is true or not but that's my best guess. There's a reason why Heihachi is suddenly young in Tekken Tag Tournament 2

How hard is it to add a "rematch" button? It's a pretty cheaply made port.

You never played it.

It actually had an extensive single player campaign though it was rather demented featuring Dampierre and UFO's etc.

The Gauntlet? I suppose that counts.

My point about the lack of a traditional Arcade mode still stands though. The Quick Match mode is hardly a suitable replacement for that.

Sayah

Played a few matches online. Netcode on my end was quite good. I'm not trying to be overly positive and I can't speak for everyone but yeah, I'm happy with my purchase. Sucks about the lobby part, though.

How hard is it to add a "rematch" button? It's a pretty cheaply made port.

Not being able to skip win taunts is also really annoying.

I'm hoping there's a patch in the works to address these issues.

Edit 2: If you rely on ranked matches as your main online platform for competition (which I do), then this is definitely worth the purchase. If you rely on player lobbies, then no, it isn't.

- Didn't bother releasing a home port of SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition which SoulCalibur III BADLY needed.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on XBLA.
- Didn't bother releasing Broken Destiny on consoles.
- Couldn't even be bothered to do a minor patch to fix busted ring out Hilde.
- Despite SoulCalibur IV selling over 2 million worldwide, they basically asked fans to beg on Facebook for SoulCalibur V.
- Cuts development on SoulCalibur V early. Does it so it won't get in the way of Tekken X Street Fighter & Tekken Tag 2.
- Promises to update SoulCalibur V unlike SoulCalibur IV but doesn't.
- Releases ONE update soon after launch which makes Viola broken.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on iOS.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur II on XBLA/PSN. Over charges for it too.
- About to release SoulCalibur Lost Swords free to play game with NO ONLINE MODE.

Namco hasn't give a shit about SoulCalibur since SoulCalibur II in 2003. It's SUCH a shame because the games are SO good but could REALLY benefit from an update or two after release which is standard for the fighting genre.

SoulCalibur V whilst light on content is an AMAZING fighting game and a massive step forward, the online net code is fantastic. Imagine how awesome a Super SoulCalibur V would be with better balance, a few new modes and some old characters returning.

I LOVE Project Soul, HATE Namco executives who call the shots.

SoulCalibur >>> Tekken (and I like Tekken)

Please don't remind me...ugh

Well this was 20 bucks wasted. Oh well

Sectus

This thread is nasty.

Namco has wounded the soul of the SC community.

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a fighting game fan base who's generally nice. Some of the hostility I keep seeing is a bit baffling, especially the whole "casual" vs "tourney player" thing.

Has there been ANY game released that had a huge following and the servers didn't go down or stutter on launch day?

Either way... This seems pretty normal.

The netcode is peer to peer. Even if matchmaking servers are unstable, it wouldn't affect the performance ingame.

Skilletor

Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever seen a fighting game fan base who's generally nice. Some of the hostility I keep seeing is a bit baffling, especially the whole "casual" vs "tourney player" thing.

Depends on where you go. I don't frequent sites for these games, but GAF is, in general, a pretty good place for fighters. I hate SRK and FreeStepDodge. I think the VF community is nice (although my impression is they think their game is harder than it is). KoF community is good people.

The SF4, TTT2, and BB threads are really active and full of nice people. SC is just in a bad place and some people's attitudes reflect that. Sucks seeing something you care about shat on by the company. :/

I think SC people are being mean toward the actual SC2 port/product. Not mean in general.

I have been lazy lately, but all SC gatherings I used to go to in SoCal, and when I used to go to Super Arcade weeklys, everybody was nice and cool with each other. Actually, it was very laid back and toned down, especially compared to the capcom gatherings. I guess you could argue that is a good or bad thing, haha. Of course the raw amount of people is going to be smaller.

Skilletor

I think SC people are being mean toward the actual SC2 port/product. Not mean in general.

I have been lazy lately, but all SC gatherings I used to go to in SoCal, and when I used to go to Super Arcade weeklys, everybody was nice and cool with each other. Actually, it was very laid back and toned down, especially compared to the capcom gatherings. I guess you could argue that is a good or bad thing, haha. Of course the raw amount of people is going to be smaller.

Yeah, the FGC is pretty awesome in person. Nothing but good times when I go to tourneys. I think some language and intent is misconstrued online, and there are some real assholes on teh webs, but then they act completely different IRL.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, the FGC is pretty awesome in person. Nothing but good times when I go to tourneys. I think some language and intent is misconstrued online, and there are some real assholes on teh webs, but then they act completely different IRL.

That is the impression I get. Lots of good folks out there but the mean ones are very very mean and drag it down.

I always wonder why that happened. Never been a better time for fighters since SFIV came out. The releases and genre is as vibrant as ever.

Really think going from local to online is the culprit. The few times I've played online I've recieved messages afterwards that were crazy negative. Once a dude accused me of cheating when I won and I barely win anything!
I think my last good fighting game experience was Soulcalibur for the DC playing with people in the same room or at a comic shop a friend owned. Makes sense that at events and tourneys are a friendly experience.

All from a casual player...I might play fighters a couoke of hours every other month.

Malice215

That is the impression I get. Lots of good folks out there but the mean ones are very very mean and drag it down.

I always wonder why that happened. Never been a better time for fighters since SFIV came out. The releases and genre is as vibrant as ever.

Really think going from local to online is the culprit. The few times I've played online I've recieved messages afterwards that were crazy negative. Once a dude accused me of cheating when I won and I barely win anything!
I think my last good fighting game experience was Soulcalibur for the DC playing with people in the same room or at a comic shop a friend owned. Makes sense that at events and tourneys are a friendly experience.

All from a casual player...I might play fighters a couoke of hours every other month.

In general, people are just negative and hostile online because anonymity allows them to be assholes.

I always been a fan of the Soul series growing up since Soul Blade, and I've met so many awesome people ever since I started playing offline and going to tournaments, which eventually got me linked up with Namco and meeting the devs for SCV among a bunch of other things.

More people should play offline, regardless of what version they prefer.

Roto13

What does the trophy list mean by "Three successful Soul Charge Hits"? I assumed that meant a soul charge followed by a hit three times but I've done that about a hundred times and no trophy.

EDIT: There it is. Dunno what I did differently. Maybe it actually means "three hundred." :p

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What does the trophy list mean by "Three successful Soul Charge Hits"? I assumed that meant a soul charge followed by a hit three times but I've done that about a hundred times and no trophy.

EDIT: There it is. Dunno what I did differently. Maybe it actually means "three hundred." :p

Did you actually hit them, or just guard break them?

Manbig

Yeah, this port is rough. In a world where a game like Virtua Fighter 5 FS was released for $15 at launch, $20 for THIS is quite the awful joke.

At least there's some entertaining Aris streams for this.

Good lord, what the hell happened with this game's online? I remember reading that they were working to make the netcode on par with SCV, so WTF. So far it's been hit or miss with me. Sometimes it's perfect, then there's button delay, and sometimes it's just flat out laggy. Not as bad as SCIV or Injustice, but pretty damn close. Players don't even show up in your players met list...

I still don't understand why this is lacking online features. I mean they had SCV right there! No player lobbies is mind boggling. Fucking namco.

Even with all that, it's still my favorite fighting game of all time. So I don't feel too bad about wasting $20 on it. Do not buy this if you're looking for an online fighting game to play. Our only hope is a huge freaking patch.

I guess my original Xbox copy of SC2 still has it's value. It already runs in 720p, I might add.

Maybe SC2 HD+ for PS4/Xbone will actually have 1080p resolution, JP voice work, the original less compressed music tracks, and improved online. For now, I'll keep my $20 in my pocket and wait.

- Didn't bother releasing a home port of SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition which SoulCalibur III BADLY needed.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on XBLA.
- Didn't bother releasing Broken Destiny on consoles.
- Couldn't even be bothered to do a minor patch to fix busted ring out Hilde.
- Despite SoulCalibur IV selling over 2 million worldwide, they basically asked fans to beg on Facebook for SoulCalibur V.
- Cuts development on SoulCalibur V early. Does it so it won't get in the way of Tekken X Street Fighter & Tekken Tag 2.
- Promises to update SoulCalibur V unlike SoulCalibur IV but doesn't.
- Releases ONE update soon after launch which makes Viola broken.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on iOS.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur II on XBLA/PSN. Over charges for it too.
- About to release SoulCalibur Lost Swords free to play game with NO ONLINE MODE.

Namco hasn't give a shit about SoulCalibur since SoulCalibur II in 2003. It's SUCH a shame because the games are SO good but could REALLY benefit from an update or two after release which is standard for the fighting genre.

SoulCalibur V whilst light on content is an AMAZING fighting game and a massive step forward, the online net code is fantastic. Imagine how awesome a Super SoulCalibur V would be with better balance, a few new modes and some old characters returning.

I LOVE Project Soul, HATE Namco executives who call the shots.

SoulCalibur >>> Tekken (and I like Tekken)
Indeed.

akaoni

Banned
I had planned to make this the first fighting game I learned with my first fighting game friend ever, which makes it all depressing after 5 years of on and off and nobody to play with. :'(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, I decided to buy it anyways, but this shit is unplayable online (on the 360 version). So much for the "online" in the title.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even just playing the demo I really wanted to get this again even though I have no time for it...but man, sounds like they really didn't to it the justice it deserves.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Skullgirls
VF
SF4
SxT
Blazblue
Persona
SC5
TTT2
KoF13 (Steam edition)

All perfectly playable online.
as an aside, VF2 (and the other model 2 rereleases) inherited VF5FS great netcode.

shame SCV's wasn't passed down...

IvorB

If you didn't play SCV, I think it's the best fighter released this generation. Yes, SC2's online is a big disappointment. But that's mostly because SCV's online is fucking flawless.

So yeah, I don't know what happened with this. I don't know if they intend to fix it. I don't know if they just had zero budget.

SC isn't quite dead yet. If they do a SCVI, it's still well worth keeping an eye on.

I haven't played Soul Calibur 5. I basically stopped playing Soul Calibur after 3 when they nerfed Ivy and Kilik in a way that was quite unbelievable. Maybe I will check it out if I see it cheap or used somewhere. Doesn't it come loaded with meters and comeback mechanics and all that bullsh*t though? That seems to be what Namco is all about these days.

IvorB

In general, people are just negative and hostile online because anonymity allows them to be assholes.

I always been a fan of the Soul series growing up since Soul Blade, and I've met so many awesome people ever since I started playing offline and going to tournaments, which eventually got me linked up with Namco and meeting the devs for SCV among a bunch of other things.

More people should play offline, regardless of what version they prefer.

You should play Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. The online players are generally very civil in that game. It genuinely surprises me how many positive, polite messages I get from other players. I used to play Tekken online and I only ever got abuse so I guess it varies from game-to-game.

Malice215

Good lord, what the hell happened with this game's online? I remember reading that they were working to make the netcode on par with SCV, so WTF. So far it's been hit or miss with me. Sometimes it's perfect, then there's button delay, and sometimes it's just flat out laggy. Not as bad as SCIV or Injustice, but pretty damn close. Players don't even show up in your players met list...

I still don't understand why this is lacking online features. I mean they had SCV right there! No player lobbies is mind boggling. Fucking namco.

Even with all that, it's still my favorite fighting game of all time. So I don't feel too bad about wasting $20 on it. Do not buy this if you're looking for an online fighting game to play. Our only hope is a huge freaking patch.

That's been the impression that I have been hearing about SC2's netcode. It's better than SC4 but worse than SCV's. I may just buy the game once they patch it. I'm sure they won't leave the game in this state.

You should play Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. The online players are generally very civil in that game. It genuinely surprises me how many positive, polite messages I get from other players. I used to play Tekken online and I only ever got abuse so I guess it varies from game-to-game.

I do play VF5FS, because it has certain things that I like in a fighting game. SCV was designed to appeal to players who are new to the series, so there's certain things I don't like about it, but it's still a great game overall. But now the game is dead on PSN, so I don't play it as much.

Top Bottom