• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur II HD Online |OT| A Link To The Past

Roto13

seriously. Why would anyone want something else to do aside from playing the flawless online mode in this version?

Play the arcade mode. It's actually a fun game without that crap getting in the way. (This is in no way meant to defend the half-assed online mode.)

SkylineRKR

LOL, i forgot the Yoshi, Cervy and Sophie were hidden in there... I don't feel like grinding it either lol

is it me or does the original Xbox1 with component cables at 720p still the best version?

You can have all the characters within 30 minutes. Except for Berserker, Assassin and Lizard Man. Although I already have the first 2.

But no, its not fun. Its basically a matter of doing a cheap move over and over because you either have to beat 5 characters with one bar, or you have to win by not getting knocked down. Or you have only 15 seconds. I was thinking, wouldn't be nice to get the Arcade rom, with Conquest mode and without Necrid on top of it? heh

I never really enjoyed WM back then either. I mostly enjoyed Edge Master mode from SE because it had a character focused story and it wasn't too much of the same. As I said about WM before, dat berserker dungeon.

Kimosabae

Banned
Getting beat by raph really means you don't understand frame properties in the game. He is extremely unsafe especially when he goes for a lot of his canned combos. You can counter/sidestep a lot of his verticals and his one his best lows is not something you want blocked as it guarantees a decent follow up.

Yet you said my favorite word, scrubs, and they will always just be that.

What part of "online is unplayable" don't you understand?

You sure look desperate to make it seem like you know something.

Dat thread title.

iI7sumhSz4IS5.gif

Ah back when pro wrestling was entertaining

Oh well, I have SCV...back to the superior game

wait, Daishi quit? Man that really sucks now. I'm not all that confident in the future of SC now...=/

Oh well, I have SCV...back to the superior game

wait, Daishi quit? Man that really sucks now. I'm not all that confident in the future of SC now...=/

maybe he can go out on his own and kickstart "Spirit Calibur" lol while Namco continues their F2P efforts with the proper franchise

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
First few seconds;

"Let's try some more of this annoying crap"

We're off to a good start.

I'd just spent a match getting hit by Cervy unblockables because the game was ignoring my inputs before I started recording. That lag can get really nasty.

I mainly just complain about the garbage UI.

akaoni

Banned
I've had unplayable rounds against a friend who lives 2-3 miles away, and we're only at button-pressing level.

We probably won't be playing the game again unless they sort the menu shit.

Helloween

How weird. I've done a few matches now on the PS3 in ranked, all perfect and playing against a mate who lives 120 miles away with 0 lag.

I've missed you SC 2 ;__;

Not the same at all. We're getting three games in a year. Of course, one is a crappy port and another is a F2P rehash, but there's still hope for the third.
Don't forget the kneecapped, albeit great, game we got in SCV. And the feeling I'm referring to is that the company that makes the game seems to hate it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
What part of "online is unplayable" don't you understand?

You sure look desperate to make it seem like you know something.

And you look desperate to start shit.

If lag is inolved you can take raph with most of cast that is long range based. Think raph whoring out that move in lag is bs try ivy, astaroth, or kilik in the same situation a million times worse with moves that have more priority.

Easier with the netcode to just counter hit than go for a sidestep or gi which if you fuck up leaves you in a worse position. If it's that bad you can quit or rage quit like rest.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Isn't Raph's 6BBB, supposed to be NCC? Is that different in the PAL version?
I know almost nothing about Raph. Some PAL gems: Voldo can cancel GI's into a 30 frame auto GI.

Ivy can Lockdown with her JF. It's inescapable...

Also, any idea if Cervy's Relaunch combo works in the PAL version?
Probably. PAL version mainly just introduced tons of wierdo jank to the point that Euro tournaments were run on NTSC versions.

Man i loved this game back in the day - my fav in the series of those i have played (all save SC3). But it seems like they are really overcharging for it, gonna hold off for a while as i figure titles on 360 are gonna plummet in price and all i'm really after is a nostalgic blast rather than a long-term competitive fighter.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Man i loved this game back in the day - my fav in the series of those i have played (all save SC3). But it seems like they are really overcharging for it, gonna hold off for a while as i figure titles on 360 are gonna plummet in price and all i'm really after is a nostalgic blast rather than a long-term competitive fighter.
Good call. It's about on the level of VF2's HD port. Not worth $20 at all.

Kimosabae

Banned
That's funny because I was telling someone today that I understand how Megaman fans feel now.
2650974.jpg

Yeah. I think this release has absolutely killed my interest in the franchise. Didn't think that was possible. They've actually managed to ruin what I considered its apex. I no longer care what Team Soul does moving forward and I'm not even interested in the possibility of a SC6. I'm moving on.

So dumb. This series was considered a gold standard in many respects at one point.

And you look desperate to start shit.

If lag is inolved you can take raph with most of cast that is long range based. Think raph whoring out that move in lag is bs try ivy, astaroth, or kilik in the same situation a million times worse with moves that have more priority.

Easier with the netcode to just counter hit than go for a sidestep or gi which if you fuck up leaves you in a worse position. If it's that bad you can quit or rage quit like rest.

Okay, so you're just daft. So your response to the contention "The game's conditions are altered in the realm of online play, hence established tactics aren't as effective" is merely "alter your gameplay to fit the domain of online play".

Thanks for the sick tips, breh!

*ignores*

[I know almost nothing about Raph. Some PAL gems:Voldo can cancel GI's into a 30 frame auto GI.

Ivy can Lockdown with her JF. It's inescapable…

Probably. PAL version mainly just introduced tons of wierdo jank to the point that Euro tournaments were run on NTSC versions.

WTF?? I don't even… what possible motivation could there have been for choosing this version? It's not like Team Soul is ignorant of the series' competitive scene and that they'd be the primary market for this.

This is seriously a rip off.

Shinta

Banned
I went 30 W 28 L. Several matches were completely unplayable. A handful went relatively well. No match felt perfect, and at all times I am limiting the complexity of my moves and dumbing down how I play to have safer matches.

It's playable sometimes, but you won't be landing all your advanced moves that actually make SC2 what it is.

Major disappointment. The lack of lobbies, cards, anything, is a huge step down from SC V also.

I'll probably finish out WM mode just to get all the trophies. Not sure how much more online I'll bother with. I guess there's always offline play with my brothers. Back to square one. My dreams of truly testing my skills online are not going to be realized.

Not worth the $20 unless things get better somehow.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
WTF?? I don't even… what possible motivation could there have been for choosing this version? It's not like Team Soul is ignorant of the series' competitive scene and that they'd be the primary market for this.

This is seriously a rip off.
The Euro version is the "newest". That's the best explanation I've heard.

Could be the only code they still had lying around...

Yeah. I think this release has absolutely killed my interest in the franchise. Didn't think that was possible. They've actually managed to ruin what I considered its apex. I no longer care what Team Soul does moving forward and I'm not even interested in the possibility of a SC6. I'm moving on.

So dumb. This series was considered a gold standard in many respects at one point.
I'm not quite at that point, but I'm done buying Project Soul games on release date until I can check out community reviews.

K.Sabot

Gonna go ahead and post this.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

DO NOT SUPPORT SCAMCO

This game is near unplayable online.

Roto13

Drama much?

The online sucks, and Scamco should be ashamed of themselves for acting like that little bit of effort they put into this is worth $20, but it doesn't ruin the good stuff that was already there.

And if you want to look at a game and predict the future of the series, look at SCV, not a remaster of a last gen game.

Kimosabae

Banned
Drama much?

The online sucks, and Scamco should be ashamed of themselves for acting like that little bit of effort they put into this is worth $20, but it doesn't ruin the good stuff that was already there.

And if you want to look at a game and predict the future of the series, look at SCV, not a remaster of a last gen game.

The game that neutered the movelists, added SF-style comeback elements and ignored the existence of Soul Charge (my favorite mechanic in the series)? Yeah, I'm good. This was the game that was going to make SC relevant for me, personally.

I did say "I think". I could be swayed to care in the future, but at this moment I truly don't care. I'm totally apathetic towards the series at this point. With Daishi gone, I highly doubt this series will ever remain relevant in the capacities I personally consider relevant.

Don't tell me I'm being "dramatic" as tough you know I what I truly feel.

Sectus

So what's the word? This any good?

- No Japanese voices.
- Team battle is offline-only.
- Character intros and outros are unskippable online.
- You're kicked to main menu after one online match (there's no rematch option).
- There's no lobbies.
- Some people are saying the netcode is bad.
- It's rather pricey.

So, yeah. I suppose it's good if you're okay with the price and you're primarily getting it for offline play.

Holy shit that looks terrible... Is it just a bad port, or did PS2 have worse textures than GC to begin with? I think I read the port is based on PS2 version

I'm pretty sure the textures are identical. HD port just looks blurrier because they didn't bother with AF, and it has bad AA compared to Dolphin.

IvorB

The game that neutered the movelists, added SF-style comeback elements and ignored the existence of Soul Charge (my favorite mechanic in the series)? Yeah, I'm good. This was the game that was going to make SC relevant for me, personally.

I did say "I think". I could be swayed to care in the future, but at this moment I truly don't care. I'm totally apathetic towards the series at this point. With Daishi gone, I highly doubt this series will ever remain relevant in the capacities I personally consider relevant.

Namco used to be the gods of fighting games but they are pretty much dead to me now with their current output. I used to be a Tekken diehard and love Soul Calibur too. I had hoped to recapture a taste of their past glory with this release but I guess it's not to be.

Shinta

Banned
Namco used to be the gods of fighting games but they are pretty much dead to me now with their current output. I used to be a Tekken diehard and love Soul Calibur too. I had hoped to recapture a taste of their past glory with this release but I guess it's not to be.

If you didn't play SCV, I think it's the best fighter released this generation. Yes, SC2's online is a big disappointment. But that's mostly because SCV's online is fucking flawless.

So yeah, I don't know what happened with this. I don't know if they intend to fix it. I don't know if they just had zero budget.

SC isn't quite dead yet. If they do a SCVI, it's still well worth keeping an eye on.

Roto13

You're saying they ruined the game by adding a crappy mode. That's absolutely dramatic.

As for SoulCalibur V, ok then. If you really care about Soul Charge that much, all right. I think SCV is the best in the series by a mile and I'll be thrilled if they keep going in that direction. Supers and all. (Just drop Just Guard.) Feel free not to join in the fun.

- No Japanese voices.
- You're kicked to main menu after one online match (there's no rematch option).
- There's no lobbies.
- It's rather pricey.

So, yeah. I suppose it's good if you're okay with the price and you're primarily getting it for offline play.

Wow, they fucked up. No real need for me to get this since I still got my gen 6 consoles at the ready.

The thing with the online UI/design decisions that is so frustrating is that it feels so simple at this point with fighting games, especially namco, and them not being there puts a damper on the end user experience.

I don't know, did they try to do it and the devs couldn't get it working, or they designed it this way and didn't give a fuck. I hope they didn't intend for it to be this way.

soakrates

The thing with the online UI/design decisions that is so frustrating is that it feels so simple at this point with fighting games, especially namco, and them not being there puts a damper on the end user experience.

I don't know, did they try to do it and the devs couldn't get it working, or they designed it this way and didn't give a fuck. I hope they didn't intend for it to be this way.
It seems likely that they outsourced the development of the netplay component, which would explain a lot.

I can confirm the netcode is basically an abomination. All the other crap on top of that is almost insulting.

Xav

- No Japanese voices.
- There's no lobbies.
- It's rather pricey.

- There's sound effect issues.
- I noticed slowdown in Lakeside Coliseum on Weapon Master mode.
- Music seems rather quiet.
- Music plays before the match even starts online.
- After you choose a character, the black screen transition effect stutters.
- Kilik was flickering up and down during his win pose one time. He must of had one foot on lower ground and the other on higher ground thus confusing the game.
- Stutters whenever you unlock an achievement.
- Has stuttered another time even when it wasn't achievement related.
- No surround sound even though the GameCube/PS2 had Pro Logic II and the Xbox had Dolby Digital.
- Something about the visuals feels 'off', were Kilik's 2P pants always that shinny?

Long story short, the retail SoulCalibur games are fantastic whilst the HD remakes of SoulCalibur & SoulCalibur II are shit. Namco must of got their F-team to port this one because the actual SoulCalibur team would never release a game in this state. I assume they're probably busy with SoulCalibur Lost Swords anyway.

Kimosabae

Banned
You're saying they ruined the game by adding a crappy mode. That's absolutely dramatic.

As for SoulCalibur V, ok then. If you really care about Soul Charge that much, all right. I think SCV is the best in the series by a mile and I'll be thrilled if they keep going in that direction. Supers and all. (Just drop Just Guard.) Feel free not to join in the fun.

Really guy? Are you not paying attention to the thread? They ported an inferior version of the product I came to love (PAL version) and botched its most potentially redeeming aspect completely (the online). The game is ruined. At least for me. Without respectable online, I get absolutely no utility or value from this product.

If you're so diametrically opposed to me please put me on ignore? I think it was actually your petty nonsense that inspired me to request a perm-ban from GAF in the first place.

Christ.

Roto13

Really guy? Are you not paying attention to the thread? They ported an inferior version of the product I came to love (PAL version) and botched its most potentially redeeming aspect completely (the online). The game is ruined. At least for me. Without respectable online, I get absolutely no utility or value from this product.

If you're so diametrically opposed to me please put me on ignore? I think it was actually your petty nonsense that inspired me to request a perm-ban from GAF in the first place.

Christ.

You mean that time you had a bitchfit because people had the nerve to talk about custom characters in the SoulCalibur V thread? Pretty sure that's on you. (Also, ha! "Request.")

Top Bottom