• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur II HD Online |OT| A Link To The Past

It seems likely that they outsourced the development of the netplay component, which would explain a lot.

I can confirm the netcode is basically an abomination. All the other crap on top of that is almost insulting.

Ah. Outsourced. Hmm, maybe these outsourced devs chose to use the PAL version as well (if it was outsourced). Just seems sloppy, especially for Namco, and for a beloved game in the series.

Kimosabae

Banned
You mean that time you had a bitchfit because people had the nerve to talk about custom characters in the SoulCalibur V thread? Pretty sure that's on you. (Also, ha! "Request.")

Yes, I didn't request a perma-ban, that's why I'm back.

Fine, I'll put you on ignore.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Thanks for the sick tips, breh!

*ignores*

Anyone with a clue of how this game performs online post Sc4/Sc5 should know how it can perform. If you haven't learned it by you now in the 3rd sc title to come out not much hope for you.

I was making fun of the fact people still think he's broke and would do so with the shitty lag nothing more, but get bent out of shape and think you're ignoring is anything important or relevant.

Wow havn't bought it yet, might not now. If the netplay is bad what's the point? Suck I was fully expecting SCV levels on netcode. Lame.

SoulCalibur would be dead without Harada. Namco wasn't ready to even make SCV. He's the one who convinced them to make it. At least, that's how I remember it.

That's weird they needed convincing. Maybe people are right that Namco management hates the SC series, haha. SC4 sold like 2.5 million copies. Why would they need convincing unless 4 went way over budget? Namco, please!

akaoni

Banned
SoulCalibur would be dead without Harada. Namco wasn't ready to even make SCV. He's the one who convinced them to make it. At least, that's how I remember it.

So he convinced them to make 2 games so he could launder half of the SCV budget into Tag 2.

Jokes

LCGeek

formerly sane
It was wounded well before that.

Agreed and it was SC2 where thing fell apart. During the arcade and beta periods it was easily the most fun I've with any fighter sans tekken tag and a few sf titles. After console launch things really fell to shit as glitches and bugs were revealed and become common place.

That's weird they needed convincing. Maybe people are right that Namco management hates the SC series, haha. SC4 sold like 2.5 million copies. Why would they need convincing unless 4 went way over budget? Namco, please!

I will confirm considering I knew a person heavily involved with SC2 development. had they not been pushed to actually fix the various problems that were in the early arcade version the game would've been utter crap and extremely regards to character balance issue that people did notice. Compared to other namco products it doesn't get the treatment it deserves.

Skilletor

Yeah, that's the thing. The game always sells really well. It doesn't make any god damn sense that the future of the series is ever in question. Even SC5 on its shitty budget and with the cut content sold comparable to the cash-cow TTT2.

It makes no sense.

TEJ

So, the online may be shit but is the single player modes from the original version intact? The one that was kinda dungeon crawl-y where you could upgrade your weapons?

Yes Boss!

This thread is nasty.

Namco has wounded the soul of the SC community.

Yeesh,

I know why I stay out of Fighting Game threads. Yikes.

I'm absolutely loving this game. Fricken' looks amazing and plays amazing. Why can't folks just look at it as a great port of one of the best fighters? Not every game needs to play well online (or even be played online).

Skilletor

Yeesh,

I'm absolutely loving this game. Fricken' looks amazing and plays amazing. Why can't folks just look at it as a great port of one of the best fighters? Not every game needs to play well online (or even be played online).

Because without functioning online, I can just play it on my ps2/gc/xbox. And I won't have to put up with the English voices.

Sayah

So he convinced them to make 2 games so he could launder half of the SCV budget into Tag 2.

Jokes

I know you're joking but yeah, Tekken 6 was already successful enough to guarantee another Tekken and TTT2 has already been successful enough (in arcades at least) to guarantee a Tekken 7.

I actually liked SCV a lot. It was lacking in features but was very polished in all other aspects.

And I think Namco pushed for the early release of SCV because they wanted to have the game out before SFXTK made its way into the market.

Shinta

Banned
So, the online may be shit but is the single player modes from the original version intact? The one that was kinda dungeon crawl-y where you could upgrade your weapons?

Netcode and lack of lobbies online is pretty much the only significant flaw.

Offline is exactly what you remember, with Weapon Master mode in full. And now you can do Spawn vs. Heihachi.

Roto13

Yeesh,

A game called "SoulCalibur II HD Online" should probably have an acceptable online component.

Has there been ANY game released that had a huge following and the servers didn't go down or stutter on launch day?

Either way... This seems pretty normal.

Yeesh,

I respectfully disagree. This was the big point of the release to me and the old school fans they are trying to get to buy. It says online in the title! If not for the online, I could just play my xbox or ps2 versions (which are great and have the same SP content).

They are charging $20. If I want to be happy with a straight SP port, they should charge less.

Kimosabae

Banned
Because without functioning online, I can just play it on my ps2/gc/xbox. And I won't have to put up with the English voices.

Not to mention that some people will only be playing this game if it functions online, period. I'm pushing 30 - I don't have many personal friends that play video games anymore and no one in my local scene is gonna waste time getting back into SC2 lol.

*edit*

I also like SCV a lot just for the record. I think it's the best Soul game next to 2. Problem is - relatively no one cares about it.

Yeah, that's the thing. The game always sells really well. It doesn't make any god damn sense that the future of the series is ever in question. Even SC5 on its shitty budget and with the cut content sold comparable to the cash-cow TTT2.

It makes no sense.

Not really. Tag 2 makes Namco money even now due to the arcade release. All those arcade machines, bana passes & machine recharges sold. Console sales are just one part of the equation.

Xav

This thread is nasty.

Namco has wounded the soul of the SC community.

- Didn't bother releasing a home port of SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition which SoulCalibur III BADLY needed.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on XBLA.
- Didn't bother releasing Broken Destiny on consoles.
- Couldn't even be bothered to do a minor patch to fix busted ring out Hilde.
- Despite SoulCalibur IV selling over 2 million worldwide, they basically asked fans to beg on Facebook for SoulCalibur V.
- Cuts development on SoulCalibur V early. Does it so it won't get in the way of Tekken X Street Fighter & Tekken Tag 2.
- Promises to update SoulCalibur V unlike SoulCalibur IV but doesn't.
- Releases ONE update soon after launch which makes Viola broken.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur on iOS.
- Releases busted port of SoulCalibur II on XBLA/PSN. Over charges for it too.
- About to release SoulCalibur Lost Swords free to play game with NO ONLINE MODE.

Namco hasn't give a shit about SoulCalibur since SoulCalibur II in 2003. It's SUCH a shame because the games are SO good but could REALLY benefit from an update or two after release which is standard for the fighting genre.

SoulCalibur V whilst light on content is an AMAZING fighting game and a massive step forward, the online net code is fantastic. Imagine how awesome a Super SoulCalibur V would be with better balance, a few new modes and some old characters returning.

I LOVE Project Soul, HATE Namco executives who call the shots.

SoulCalibur >>> Tekken (and I like Tekken)

Shinta

Banned
I think you're overestimating this game's popularity.

Maybe. Today thought I ran into a message on ranked match saying that it was full and to try again, probably 5 different times.

But then again, I also played the same people probably 8x within an hour. So ... I don't know how low their capacity is with this game.

Nick

Joke post? SOUL CALIBUR II HD ONLINE.

Malice215

Long story short, the retail SoulCalibur games are fantastic whilst the HD remakes of SoulCalibur & SoulCalibur II are shit. Namco must of got their F-team to port this one because the actual SoulCalibur team would never release a game in this state. I assume they're probably busy with SoulCalibur Lost Swords anyway.

SC1 on the X360 lacks a single player and online play, but the port itself is excellent and only $10.

I was expecting the port of SC2 to have the basics for the online play that you come to expect and for features to not be removed from the game which I'm not fine with considering the price that they are asking for which is $20.

Yeesh,

There's issues with this port. And SC2HDO needs to play well online because that's the major selling point of the game. Why else would you buy it?

akaoni

Banned

When you take away the online this is just a straight port, making it completely useless for me. They changed a few digits for the resolution and the aspect ratio and that's it, SCII actually does look this good with so little effort thanks to the simplistic visual presentation it has. I wanted to finally have a chance to play this game against actual people, and that's very half-baked right now compared to what we expect. :(

LCGeek

formerly sane
- Didn't bother releasing a home port of SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition which SoulCalibur III BADLY needed.
- Despite SoulCalibur IV selling over 2 million worldwide, they basically asked fans to beg on Facebook for SoulCalibur V.
- Cuts development on SoulCalibur V early. Does it so it won't get in the way of Tekken X Street Fighter & Tekken Tag 2.
- About to release SoulCalibur Lost Swords free to play game with NO ONLINE MODE.

Namco hasn't give a shit about SoulCalibur since SoulCalibur II in 2003. It's SUCH a shame because the games are SO good but could REALLY benefit from an update or two after release which is standard for the fighting genre.

SoulCalibur V whilst light on content is an AMAZING fighting game and a massive step forward, the online net code is fantastic. Imagine how awesome a Super SoulCalibur V would be with better balance, a few new modes and some old characters returning.

Too much truth here.

2 was a wash if you played it from beta and arcade releases till console launch. Some of the mechanics like the clashing were a joke and there were even more collision problems. Had it not been for players being totally in to the arcade version namco would've stopped updating and balancing the game.

Skilletor

:(

Why you hurt me, bro.

Xav

SC1 on the X360 lacks a single player and online play, but the port itself is excellent and only $10.

- Lack of widescreen was a missed opportunity.
- Black levels are way too dark and not it wasn't my TV.
- Compressed sound effects and voices. Maxi's nunchuk's sound like crap.

For 800 points at the time, it was okay I guess.

You know what irks me about SC3:AE, why couldn't slip that version into the greatest hits version reprint, or the very last reprint run of the greatest hits version.

During the PS2 days, the places I worked at would sometimes submit an updated master/gold with bug fixes for reprints of of discs.

Maybe all the updates in AE would be too much, but man. It stings.

Zekes!

Damn, I was looking to get this as I haven't even played a SC game since SCII. Disappointing to hear these impressions to say the least.

Between Soulcalibur IV and V, which is better to pick up if I'm mostly to play it single player?

You know what irks me about SC3:AE, why couldn't slip that version into the greatest hits version reprint, or the very last reprint run of the greatest hits version.

During the PS2 days, the places I worked at would sometimes submit an updated master/gold with bug fixes for reprints of of discs.

Maybe all the updates in AE would be too much, but man. It stings.
Yeah VF4 Evo and DMC3SE were sold as greatest hits upon release.

Malice215

- Lack of widescreen was a missed opportunity.
- Black levels are way too dark and not it wasn't my TV.
- Compressed sound effects and voices. Maxi's nunchuk's sound like crap.

For 800 points at the time, it was okay I guess.

Blame MS for the size restrictions that it has in place for XBLA games.

Roto13

Damn, I was looking to get this as I haven't even played a SC game since SCII. Disappointing to hear these impressions to say the least.

Between Soulcalibur IV and V, which is better to pick up if I'm mostly to play it single player?

SCIV has a bit more single player content, but not much more, and SCV is a MUCH better game. You should probably go with SCV even if all you're going to do is play arcade mode.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Drama much?

The online sucks, and Scamco should be ashamed of themselves for acting like that little bit of effort they put into this is worth $20, but it doesn't ruin the good stuff that was already there.
The fact it's a port of the PAL version actually does do that.

Malice215

SC4 has more single player options than SCV, but it's still lacking compared to the previous games.

Shinta

Banned

SC V is just so far superior in terms of gameplay, but it has very limited single player content. Basically you fight NPCs and computer AI to gain titles. You can do the arcade modes, but they have one story, and not one for each character. No Weapon Master mode. You can spend a ton of time messing with the create a character mode though.

SC IV has more single player content, but is a far worse fighter. It has the tower quest mode, but it's honestly not that fun compared to weapon master mode in 2. They're both extremely cheap now though, so there's that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Drama much?

The online sucks, and Scamco should be ashamed of themselves for acting like that little bit of effort they put into this is worth $20, but it doesn't ruin the good stuff that was already there.
The fact it's a port of the PAL version actually does do that.

Single player? Broken Destiny on PSP/Vita is your best bet.

For great online play SC V.

Yes Boss!

When you take away the online this is just a straight port, making it completely useless for me. They changed a few digits for the resolution and the aspect ratio and that's it, SCII actually does look this good with so little effort thanks to the simplistic visual presentation it has. I wanted to finally have a chance to play this game against actual people, and that's very half-baked right now compared to what we expect. :(

Well, yeah, it sucks about the Online. But is still very much playable and enjoyable nonetheless.

Seems like good online and a fighter game is the exception with a few titles. Most games always have issues.

I dunno, even at $20 is a very nicely put together package for local play. But, yeah, I don't play these things online so I don't know what I'm missing. So it all seems great.

And having english voices is an asset! Can't imagine this with japanese.

Wasn't this game just a heavily graphically inferior version of 4 on the PSP? It didn't have a decent single player/Story Mode/Arcade mode at all lol, and was pretty damned barebones compared to 4. I'd say IV on the consoles was a much better deal and the PSP got the short end of the stick when it came to Broken Destiny.

Which is strange since the the previous Namco effort, Tekken 5: DR was a much pretty damn faithful translation of the arcade effort onto the PSP, with all its limitations taken into consideration and arguably superior to T5 on the PS2. Now Tekken 6 on the other hand just existed.

Roto13

I'm assuming the Japanese track was removed for an actual reason, because it seems like more work to take it out than leave it in, really.

Grimsen

Thank you folks for the impressions on this. Gonna skip this one. A patch for the shoddy online would be a step forward, but there are some design decisions for the online matchmaking that I don't see Namco patching.

Also all this SCV talk makes me yearn for a Super SCV. I think I'm going to take SCV for a spin again, it's been awhile.

Top Bottom