• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

B.O.O.M

Dat MP video

This game has surpassed my expectations and I had high expectations for the game. Faster gameplay than MH, brilliant atmosphere, diverse range of attacks and some clever gameplay design.

Hats off to Inafunking

darkwing

is this old?

http://andriasang.com/con0yw/soul_sacrifice_presentation/

The game does not have the notion of "MP" (magic points). Instead, you sacrifice things for magic. Make a big sacrifice, and you'll get greater power. For Excalibur, you sacrifice your life. If you continually use powerful magic, though, you'll gradually begin to lose your human form.

When you defeat an enemy, you can chose to either sacrifice the enemy or revive/help it. You'll get different things depending on your choice.

more info in the link

TEJ

If i had a vita i'd totally buy this.

I hope that now, since this is good enough to be shown then the 3DS inafune rpg will be shown soon too :)

Jonnyram

I'm curious though, where's the health bars? How do players figure out how close to death they are? Is it related to the on screen blood splatter you see with every hit?
Bottom left of the screen. You can't see it because of the head lol.

duckroll

Bottom left of the screen. You can't see it because of the head lol.

Do you have any idea how the game actually controls in gameplay? I know that you can map 6 different magic skills on the [], /\, and O buttons (plus R trigger toggle). But how does it really work in gameplay? Is X jump? Dash? What does L do? If there's no MP, how does the game determine if you have the required price to cast the spell?

crinale

Do you have any idea how the game actually controls in gameplay? I know that you can map 6 different magic skills on the [], /\, and O buttons (plus R trigger toggle). But how does it really work in gameplay? Is X jump? Dash? What does L do? If there's no MP, how does the game determine if you have the required price to cast the spell?

Some reports say X was for "rolling" button (just like MH) for evasive movement.

BadWolf

The controls for magic sound like those of Folklore, but with the addition of being able to hold R and switch to a different set.

Jonnyram

There was no mention of the controls. You can see a bit when he's playing it (using right stick for camera etc), but not the whole thing.

As for the lack of MP, attacks are available as long as you have resources. Stuff like wood and stone were not so clear, but what you probably can't make out on YouTube is it occasionally flashes up a comment on one of the player's screens saying "You only have 1 lizard head left", which I assume is a magic resource. So you basically absorb the monsters you kill to use them in magic. It's probably not a 1:1 ratio as that would be tedious, but that's just my assumption ;)

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So is this game kinda like Phantasy Star Online? I'm just kinda confused on what's going on in these videos.

ReaperXL7

I have not played it obviously, but from the descriptions i've read it seems that is based on what you have access too in your area. Basically if your holding a rock you sacrifice it and it will become a weapon, or defensive object, and it's based solely on having said object in your possession, I don't know if there will be a consquence for that though.

The more powerful bodily sacfrifices seem that they will take a greater toll on you, using the spine sword for example will cost you your life. I'm assuming that when you summon the sword you will have a limited time to finish your quest, and if you don't your body goes to mush and you die. this is the way it seems like it works so far.

What's up with the random hand that appears in the bottom right of the game screen. It looked really out of place.

I think(atleast it looks like) that may be the save/sacrifice option in progress. Basically think of it like Bioshock where you save, or harvest the little sisters. In this case you do that with your enemies who were once human, don't know what the risks/rewards are for either option though.

MDSLKTR

So a MH clone in a different setting...

image.php

;)

crinale

What's up with the random hand that appears in the bottom right of the game screen. It looked really out of place.

If you are referring to a scene that both hands appear (with o and []) then it is asking the player to sacrifice his fallen buddy or not. Same scene is repeated when he beats the boss.

That's completely missing the point of what makes MH's co-op so great. Everyone gets equally rewarded, regardless of performance, so it's of very little consequence if one player isn't quite up to snuff. Sure the system's not perfect and a really bad player could singlehandedly end the entire mission for everyone, but lets be honest, once you get past the 1* quests this kind of situation barely happens. As such this "no dramas" type of implementations fosters a community of players who try to help each other get better. High Hunter rank players will often go into low rank cities to help noobs.

On the other hand this game's "winner takes all" situation is just asking to foster a hostile and elitist community. I'm not sold on it yet.

I disagree. On difficult missions you want other good players with you. If a player dies the gold reward of everyone goes down. I agree that's not a big deal, but they also lose all the cat kitchen boosts (mainly 150% health, which you often don't pack a replacement for, since you're not supposed to die). This makes them considerably less useful for the rest of the quest and much more likely to die again. Remember that 3 deaths by anyone means the mission is failed and you can see why a poor player might be a problem in a difficult quest. Having the option to sacrifice said player after his first death would be useful for those quests.

I don't get how you conclude this game is a winner takes all type affair. The rewards are split evenly for the surviving players as far as I could tell, if they all decided to sacrifice the boss, we don't know what happens if they don't or what incentives there are to save them instead.

This sounds and looks really cool, what's up with the horrible out of place logo though? I just noticed that, was it there from the first reveal/teaser?

duckroll

There was no mention of the controls. You can see a bit when he's playing it (using right stick for camera etc), but not the whole thing.

As for the lack of MP, attacks are available as long as you have resources. Stuff like wood and stone were not so clear, but what you probably can't make out on YouTube is it occasionally flashes up a comment on one of the player's screens saying "You only have 1 lizard head left", which I assume is a magic resource. So you basically absorb the monsters you kill to use them in magic. It's probably not a 1:1 ratio as that would be tedious, but that's just my assumption ;)

Oh thanks. So it sounds like you'll be balancing between lower level finite spells which you can only use as long as you have the resources (and you can replenish from killing grunt enemies), and you also have super spells which are probably single use per mission because you have to sacrifice your limbs? Seems pretty interesting.

Jonnyram

Okay. Must be pretty small then because I couldn't see it in the zoomed out 4 player view.
It only appears when it's being depleted, and bear in mind the top left player is the only one who dies. Others didn't take much damage. That said, it is a small indicator, almost like a signal strength bar on a mobile phone, except in vertical orientation.

deim0s

From andriasang:
Inafune confirmed that the game is planned to have both ad-hoc and infrastructure play. Ad-hoc only is not sufficient nowadays, said Inafune, especially if you want to appeal not just to Japan, but to overseas. He added that nothing has been decided as far as an overseas release is concerned.

Damn. One concern of mine. I do hope this comes over.

Now that I've seen gameplay footage... it looks awesome.

A bit of Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls and Folklore all thrown into one game. I'm impressed and I'm excited. Hopefully Sony can show a bit off at E3... maybe surprise everyone with an on-stage demo.

Regardless, I can't wait to see more.

Takuan

I'm curious if the repercussions of sacrifice are cumulative, or if they're automatically reset with every level or use of consumables/equipment statistics. It'll be very interesting if part of the game's core mechanics involves constant balancing of the human/monster element to maximize your character's efficiency.

Kafel

Banned
It looks so cool. Of course it's coming over, it's even written in one of the artworks (plus Sony is publishing).

Any indication as to how the aiming will work? (Aim assist or auto-aim/lock on?)

Using primarily ranged spells will be tedious if it isn't handled well and could kill my enjoyment.

In monster hunter it was primarily close range which is easier to control without some sort of system.

Luigiv

It only appears when it's being depleted, and bear in mind the top left player is the only one who dies. Others didn't take much damage. That said, it is a small indicator, almost like a signal strength bar on a mobile phone, except in vertical orientation.

Leh sigh. I hate that.

Any indication as to how the aiming will work? (Aim assist or auto-aim/lock on?)

Using primarily ranged spells will be tedious if it isn't handled well and could kill my enjoyment.

In monster hunter it was primarily close range which is easier to control without some sort of system.

looks like it basically shot forward, so you just have to position your enemy directly in front of you. didn't look like any auto aim or lock on at all. at least so far, the ranged spell we saw is more like medium range and not long range that will need some fine aiming

ReaperXL7

No chance in hell this isn't coming over. If not by Sony (which would be STUPID), then Atlus/XSeed/etc.

Considering all of the effort Sony seems to be putting into this (so far) I would think that it's pretty much a no brainer that it's coming here. It "seems" very important to them, especially considering they held a conference for it by itself.

trailer is so dark... :(

Dark as in tone, or as in you can't see much? Going based off of the premise, and the early art for the game I can't imagine anyone was going to think that the tone of this game was going to be light, and happy...

Takuan

The artwork is so unsettling >_<

The grotesque art direction will be a turn-off for some, that's for certain. I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets negative press here, assuming it comes here at all. The imagery and ideas may be construed as demonic, to the uninformed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The grotesque art direction will be a turn-off for some, that's for certain. I wouldn't be surprised if the game gets negative press here, assuming it comes here at all. The imagery and ideas may be construed as demonic, to the uninformed.

That never stopped Diablo from being a phenomenon.

Top Bottom