• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

zlatko

Banned
Wow Jin got nerfed quite a lot there.

It's all good. I haven't played the game since the initial launch week or two when I found out Jin is tourney banned for a moronic reason which killed my want to play the game since he was the only character fight style I gave two shits about to be honest.

I won't feel so bad trading it in now. I do hope Namco steals the shit out of this games online and puts it into TTT2.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wow Jin got nerfed quite a lot there.

It's all good. I haven't played the game since the initial launch week or two when I found out Jin is tourney banned for a moronic reason which killed my want to play the game since he was the only character fight style I gave two shits about to be honest.

I won't feel so bad trading it in now. I do hope Namco steals the shit out of this games online and puts it into TTT2.
Don't know why you thought Jin wouldn't be banned. That kind of thing always has been tossed out by SC tournament organizers.

Doomshine

There are plenty of games with Devil Jin if you absolutely want to play him.

The changes to Raphael are not as bad as I thought, if anything they made mix up my moves a lot more since I can't rely on 22_88B for damage and whiff punishing anymore.

Learning Astaroth right now, he didn't change much with the patch.

njean777

Been playing way to many Aeons these past couple of days. They really need to fix this character his moves do way to much damage for the outputs necessary to accomplish them IMO.

Been playing way to many Aeons these past couple of days. They really need to fix this character his moves do way to much damage for the outputs necessary to accomplish them IMO.

Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't have as many quasi touch-of-death combos as other characters, that can tech-trap you in 6+ hits, taking you down to near-death the instant they connect with one attack. And don't get me started on the wallgames some characters have, where you're pretty much dead if you're near a wall.

Aeon isn't that great, his recent buffs were very much needed to make him competitive. Right now people are just dying to him due to not having had much experience fighting him. Since I started playing (200+ ranked games) I've come across perhaps 5 Aeon players (pre-patch).

Of course now that he's buffed, there's going to be a whole influx of people trying to ride him for some quick kills against unsuspecting players. It'll probably settle down once people learn to shut him down, since Aeon is very easy to read and doesn't have much backup tech in the event of a someone knowing all his basic snipes.

I disagree with the idea that he needs to be fixed though, it's far too early into the patch to tell.

If you want to nerf due to ease of execution vs damage output, then Nightmare better watch out. :p

Alx

Yeah I initially wanted to main Aeon because he was fun to play, but he's quite hard to use against skilled players. He hits hard, but is slow and can get himself in difficult situations on his own (predictable BBB, critical edge that end up in a self ring out if blocked,...).
My main complaint was that he lacked reach, especially compared to other heavy hitters ; the patch is supposed to help, but it wasn't too obvious to me.

They mostly improved his recovery, added some additional stun to some of his moves, and made it harder for people to 8way escape from a few moves. Small things, but they do add up nicely. His CE doesn't whiff as much anymore either, but it's still highly situation since it doesn't have that nice instant-execution-hit thing most characters have.

I still wish he had a backdash, but at least the patch made him more effective at connecting. You still have to dive in and out though, fishing for hits to convert. Against a rushdown player, this can be remarkably difficult.

njean777

I main Raphael that may be my biggest problem. It feels like I have to do so much more work then most players in order to beat them. Of course that could be just the way Raphael plays, but none the less it can get annoying.

I main Raphael that may be my biggest problem. It feels like I have to do so much more work then most players in order to beat them. Of course that could be just the way Raphael plays, but none the less it can get annoying.
Yeah, Aeon isn't overpowered. Raphael is just very bad. Even a lot of the die hard Raphael players dropped him after the last patch removed his only threatening combo. Now you have to do 3 times the work of most other characters to win.

Speaking of the last patch, how's Xiba been doing? I haven't had much of a chance to play lately, but I have to be ready for a money match in 2 weeks and he's my main so...

It's a good thing for me that he hasn't practiced much lately, but he mains Patsuka so it's going to be a pain anyways >.>

Also, I haven't seen this posted here yet. The story mode was REALLY rushed/incomplete. How much? What we got is only 1/4th of what it was meant to be.

http://train2game-news.co.uk/2012/0...ed-size-each-character-was-to-have-own-story/

Can't say I'm not disappointed that it ended up like this. At least plenty of info is being released...in an artbook...that's only out in Japan...

Haha, that feels weird to hear considering all of his changes were pretty much nerfs that made him more unsafe. Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.

Picked this up today, Never really played and soul caliburs besides soul edge and a little bit of 2.

I got the collectors ed really cheap and thought it would be neat to pick it up.

Besides the links in the op, any advice for someone new to the game? The online seems to be one of the best any game has, but impressions recently seem to suggest no ones playing it anymore?

Alx

Wooh, I finally managed to beat all the Quick Battle opponents, using only Viola (plus Aeon for the beginning). I had a hard time against Alissa (A1, alpha patroklos style) and an Astaroth (A4), but I made it, without cheating. :)

Doomshine

I think I'm going to stick with Astaroth for now. I don't know how to punish anything in this game so I might as well play a character that can't punish shit.

What's Astaroth's best of option after a successful GI? Throw attempt or 66B for guaranteed damage?

I wish I could do player matches like in Tekken 6. I just want to pick a character and go, not hang around in lobbies.

Don't you have join an area for that? The only area I've seen populated is the French one and I didn't get into any match there. I usually get 3 bars with them too.

I usually can't get into New York because it's always full, so I go with Chicago, which is usually 90% full.

MrMephistoX

Just took advantage of Amazon's Hori SCV fight stick deal and considering picking this up as well (mainly bought the stick for SFxTekken) and was just wondering how the community is on PS3? When SCIV came out I got turned off pretty quickly thanks to Kilik after Kilik online in ranked.

Alx

I have met decent variety in opponents in ranking matches... many Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Xiba or Maxi and almost no Viola, Aeon or Yoshimitsu, but I never got the feeling to fight the same character again and again.

I'm trying to transfer save data from one PS3 to another, and followed the tutorial found here:
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/ne...ibur-v-characters-and-share-between-your-ps3s

When I load up my game, it says that the downloadable content doesn't match the save data, so won't load. The thing is, I never downloaded anything for SCV, except for the new compatibility pack, which I downloaded already.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or did they patch it in some way?

the most obvious bet is that the game requires a save made from the account , the dlc was taken to load ..this is bad i might have to test this tonight

Degen

I went into this game expecting to pick up a bunch of new characters because of the new gameplay system. Instead, I dropped everyone but my best character, lol

I have met decent variety in opponents in ranking matches... many Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Xiba or Maxi and almost no Viola, Aeon or Yoshimitsu, but I never got the feeling to fight the same character again and again.
Same here, but I noticed a ton of Natsu. It's always the same strategy, too: try to set up for the little ground explosion to air grab for that Astaroth damage.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Just took advantage of Amazon's Hori SCV fight stick deal and considering picking this up as well (mainly bought the stick for SFxTekken) and was just wondering how the community is on PS3? When SCIV came out I got turned off pretty quickly thanks to Kilik after Kilik online in ranked.
Ranked is always a poor representation of the community.

Hit up 8wayrun and get in some quality player matches. Even global colleseo with its hordes of people who only seem interested in comparing CAS offers a better experience than ranked.

Doomshine

Tried ranked yesterday hoping that I would get matches quicker, but it probably took just as long to find any if not longer. I was searching for 3+ bars and any rank. Fought a bunch of Ezios.

Oh well, I got to try uploading a replay to youtube, it was surprisingly quick and easy:

http://youtu.be/U0UsdgbocNg

Is the game dying a slow death at this point? You'd think having great online would prevent that but I'm starting to get worried.

Alx

The big number of Ezios is probably due to the achievement/trophy requiring to win 10 ranked matches with him... I played him myself lately only to grab that last achievement (the only one remaining is the "walk 80 000 m" one, but I won't bother)

scosher

Finding games on ranked has taken longer since the patch I found. I dunno if that's cause people rage quit because of patch changes (I did for a bit) or they made some subtle changes to the matchmaking system that makes it take longer...Also, less people playing since SFxT came out. And Skullgirls coming out this week.

Otherwise, it seems Global Colosseum is just as active as it was before. And by that I mean everyone flocks to NY arena even if not from NY.

I've always had problems with ranked. Either nobody is on when I play, or IDK.

I always go to that Colosseum thing, in either the LA or SF rooms. depends what time of day and how full the rooms are, I'll go to the east coast rooms.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Finding games on ranked has taken longer since the patch I found. I dunno if that's cause people rage quit because of patch changes (I did for a bit) or they made some subtle changes to the matchmaking system that makes it take longer...Also, less people playing since SFxT came out. And Skullgirls coming out this week.
Skullgirls is so niche I doubt it's going to make much of a dent. (I know I don't care about it at least, so it can't possibly have legs.)

Otherwise, it seems Global Colosseum is just as active as it was before. And by that I mean everyone flocks to NY arena even if not from NY.
Yeah, I was getting real tired of the Ezio from Peru with the 89% win ratio on Live last night. 2 bar, strategy is run away and snipe while you try to evade under water...

Doomshine

Like I said, I've tried GC before but it's almost always empty in Europe. I've seen the Paris room 95% full once, but I think they were all playing a tournament.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this in all the fighting game threads:

This seems like a good time to post that I just set up what I hope to be a FGC catch-all channel for GAF on IRC:

#gafilluminati (props to Stabby McSter for the name!)

on Dorksnet servers (irc.wiicafe.com, irc.gamecubecafe.com, irc.browsingtheinternet.com))

Mibbit link for those that don't have a chat program:
http://mibbit.com/?channel=#gafilluminati&server=irc.browsingtheinternet.com

I recommend downloading XChat or mIRC though.

It's pretty quiet right now, but it was only literally just made 20 minutes ago. Probably best used during streams, but come and talk about whatever the hell you guys want.

V_Arnold

This question goes to any SCV tourney organizer: is it a way to use a save file on multiple offline 360's to get all the characters unlocked as fast as possible?

Top Bottom