• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Mista Koo

So was Xiba nerfed heavily or did I just get good with the game?
I probably tried all characters, currently I mainly use Pyrrah Omega. Still I'm barely decent at using her.

The thing I spend most time on is still the CaS mode. Too bad that thread is dead and no one saw my creations :<

Mista Koo

Dude that's one sick Zasalamel. I'm so stealing it promoting it on Xbox Live.
I tried making him but he stayed incomplete for ages lol.

Here are my latest CaS: (click to enlarge)

Pyrrah Omega
P36jg.jpg
Now that's someone who looks evil, not just a goth school girl.
That's how she looks when the armor breaks:
I spent way too much time on it and it still doesn't look right.
Stupid Project Soul made her shirt get removed completely even though it doesn't in her default costume. Also for some reason you can't use her skirt under the fauld but you can use other skirts.

Setsuka
I like the hand placement in the first pic :p
I went for something between her appearance in SC3 and SC4. Her kimono is in the game but they removed the obi/sash (I think there were more than one in SC4).

SC2 Siegfried
This was inspired by Nightmare's 2P costume from SC2, I never used his 1P because SIEGFRIED.

SC3 Siegfried
Sieg's 2P from SC3 is my favorite costume in the series. I tried to make it but failed. Again I blame Project Soul for the stupid DLC handling (can't change that blue and can't use any other upper body pieces).

As a bonus here are 3 older ones: ugly face, Kratos and Simon Belmont (respectively)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'm thinking that Mitsu has some major limitations vs step. I was killing so many mixups from a good player simply by stepping left.

Kills 2kb & 8wr8_2b which is kinda bad for Mitsu to whiff...

They keep adding new costume parts. Today they had a first set of new hairpieces (Taki-like ponytail, a mullet and a buzzcut) and also a complete skeleton body. I don't see any use of these pieces myself but they should be useful for some, if nothing else to make a million Death characters and possibly Revenant.

Does anyone know if these pieces add any new pre-made figures?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
They keep adding new costume parts. Today they had a first set of new hairpieces (Taki-like ponytail, a mullet and a buzzcut) and also a complete skeleton body. I don't see any use of these pieces myself but they should be useful for some, if nothing else to make a million Death characters and possibly Revenant.

Does anyone know if these pieces add any new pre-made figures?

They added everything to make Xianghua (including her hair) and also added Ivy's SC5 1P and 2P costumes. The latter cannot be customized, apart from one or two different sets of gloves or waist clothing, but now you can expect to see lots of "Ivys" with different fighting styles all over the place!

Haven't tried but am assuming a decent Taki can be made now.

Nori Chan

I know there's a guy on youtube, think his name is bloodbath, that reviews the DLC items. Like you see them on a character.

But I think you can put them on characters already in game.

GrayFoxPL

Shoutouts to SneakyBlackCat on PSN. Awesome Zwei player. Pure skill.

Great matches against him. I got owned but learned a lot more and matches were mostly close.

Doomshine

I've been playing this online quite often recently, I usually start a player match room called "3+ bars only". Feel free to join.

PSN ID is Doomshine.

shaowebb

I was maining devil Jin Groose before but after playing around today with Maxi I got the perfect idea of what I needed to main instead.

MANLY PICTURE TIME!

ylnvQ.jpg

Best part is Maxi's special move ends in what looks like Iron Fist's lvl 3 "one inch punch" hyper. Plus the bouncey stance...its perfect. I even got the dragon tattoo really close.

Shouta

So Evo brackets are up for SCV, about 500 folks are competing. I'm paired up with Sousuhi, a JP player in my first match in my pool. I think the dude's won some JP tournaments. It's like, no matter how long away from Japan I've been, I gotta compete with them still.

Skilletor

I'm looking to get some practice in for EVO. Anybody up for a games? I'm going to try to be on every night this week around 8 (mountain time).

Skillzilla81 on either PSN or XBLA

Archon473

I bought this today and am having a bit of trouble. I am familiar with Soul Calibur 2 but this game is a bit different. After being knocked down (whether I quickly rise with Ukemi or not), I will get hit despite holding guard. After reading some info on wakeup animations, am I to assume I must hold crouch+guard to block attacks after being knocked down until I am vulnerable to high attacks? If I am reading the data correctly, it seems one is only vulnerable to lows from frames 1-17 after Ukemi and vulnerable to both low and high attacks from the 18th frame onward. Wakeup attacks seem slow in general and I have been stuffed out of most wakeup attack attempts. Foregoing Ukemi and trying to roll to the side seldom works either, which makes it frustrating when even after teching a knockdown I cannot guard. Any clarification is appreciated.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Sometimes it's best to do nothing when you're knocked down. A lot of attacks will whiff if you stay neutral vs trying to tech or roll. If you know you're going to eat something, the safest option is to hit G or G plus down to rise right where you landed.

Rising attacks can be useful, but you have to pick your shots. You can also cancel rising by hitting forward or backwards to do normal standing attacks from wake up.

Archon473

Sometimes it's best to do nothing when you're knocked down. A lot of attacks will whiff if you stay neutral vs trying to tech or roll.

I understand. If I roll backward or sideways, my opponent may use a ranged or sweeping attack to track my roll.

If you know you're going to eat something, the safest option is to hit G or G plus down to rise right where you landed.

This is where my problem lies. If I am knocked down and do not tech, my opponent can OTG me. My incentive to tech is to avoid such an attack, but it seems even holding guard after teching leads to my getting hit. It is possible I am simply being hit low or overhead and not realizing the attack hits a specific level, but I have read that after a successful Ukemi a player is vulnerable for certain frames... which seems odd since my incentive to Ukemi is to avoid further attacks! It's as if my options are A) Do not tech and suffer an OTG attack, or B) Tech but sacrifice the ability to guard for a number of frames.

One thing I was not recognizing is that I was being counter hit a lot resulting in my being stunned. If I'm stunned, my character crumples with a yellow electric glow and I cannot Ukemi afterward (I think). I recognize what's happening in that regard and will be more mindful to not get counter hit and stunned. My problem lies in not being able to guard after normal knockdowns.

I read a post on 8WayRun saying juggle attacks and trip attacks can only be teched neutrally, while regular knockdown attacks and stun can be teched in any direction. I'll have to test my wakeup options in training and figure this out 'cause even the computer is wrecking me once I'm floored.

You can also cancel rising by hitting forward or backwards to do normal standing attacks from wake up.

I will practice this. It may allow me to step back after teching and get a bit of breathing room. Wakeup attacks are super slow (waking up adds at least 15 frames to your attack) so being able to cancel rising into a normal attack would be helpful.

Doomshine

Letting yourself hit the ground and then hit G to stand up in place (not ukemi) is probably the safest way, but there are situations where you'll want to ukemi to avoid certain attacks. The direction you want to ukemi also depends on the situation.

If you're getting CH a lot it might be because you're moving around too much. It can be quite dangerous, especially after the backdash nerf.

Shouta

Yeah, that connection was really bad. Everything was coming out late, blocking was impossible too. Not sure why it was terrible either. I connected to a guy in I think Georgia right after and it seemed to be fine at 4 Bars.

Skilletor

Yeah, that connection was really bad. Everything was coming out late, blocking was impossible too. Not sure why it was terrible either. I connected to a guy in I think Georgia right after and it seemed to be fine at 4 Bars.

What ISP do you have? I have shitty connections with people who have comcast even in the same state.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is where my problem lies. If I am knocked down and do not tech, my opponent can OTG me.
Not a lot of characters can do this. Mitsu, Nightmare, Maxi, and... Siegfried that I can think of off the top of my head.

Nightmare's OTG BE is tricky because it's a mid so ducking that first hit is never a good idea.

Maxi's can be teched to the left IIRC. (In fact, the only thing Maxi has that tracks to the right in a tech situation is his CE.) Mitsu's CE is evil.

My incentive to tech is to avoid such an attack, but it seems even holding guard after teching leads to my getting hit.
You can't block after teching. That's why teching isn't always a good idea.

t's as if my options are A) Do not tech and suffer an OTG attack, or B) Tech but sacrifice the ability to guard for a number of frames.
Teching is very situational. It's a lot like stepping. If you know you can evade something nasty, ok. If it doesn't insure safety, better to just rise guarding rather than teching at all.

I will practice this. It may allow me to step back after teching and get a bit of breathing room. Wakeup attacks are super slow (waking up adds at least 15 frames to your attack) so being able to cancel rising into a normal attack would be helpful.
Yeah, it's been a staple from SC1 onwards. It's also handy since you can simply do something like a 6A attack from grounded, pop up standing and smack 'em.

Archon473

I played last night and had much more success. Just hitting the ground without teching and beginning to block worked a lot better. So, I need to be more particular with when I tech. I understand it will be based on how my opponent will follow their knockdown attack. I also read that you cannot block immediately after a quick step; this was another problem I corrected. Finally, a few moves were forcing me into crouching guard after I blocked them standing, and I kept retaliating with a while-rising attack. Turns out, pressing forward while in crouching guard returns me to a standing state so I can retaliate with a standing attack. I felt a lot better fighting last night, so thank you for all your help.

Just picked this up a few days ago and played a bit of it...and it just makes me nostalgic for SC3. I entered the create mode all ready to create a bunch of rad characters, and then get sad when I realize they didn't keep the bonus move sets. I realize I'm probably the only person alive who considers SC3 to be the best game in the series, but it really did have the best creation mode.

I read an article about how the story mode wasn't close to what they planned to make, and that really is apparent. The story mode goes from a pretty cool in-engine cutscene to storyboards. How cheesy.

But hey, the core game seems to be just as good as any other version of Soul Calibur.

Skilletor

lol.

I've fought really good Astaroth, IFBPwnStar, on XBL several times tonight. Each time has been a ranking battle for him, but he hasn't beaten me. :/

I whined about the game yesterday but ended up playing it for like 6 hours last night. The create mode is a lot better than I gave it credit for. The story mode isn't terrible either; I get the feeling that the essence of Soul Calibur isn't as pure as it seems...

Is the parts pack with the little Pac Man accessory PS3 exclusive or a preorder bonus or something? I can't seem to find it in the game or in the DLC list on Xbox.com. I wanted to try to make a Pac Man character by overlaying the accessory over a guy's face. It'd probably look terrible but it'd be worth it for some laughs.

I assume algol got a nerf too?
If he has 2 full meters he can do several combos around 200 damage or more. He can also combo multiple ways into his 2 bar critical edge that does around 160 in most cases. So he's doing okay.

Can't have more than 4 small bubbles out at a time though.

Top Bottom