• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Carolina lawmaker wants to create registry for journalists... Spoilers he's GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ker-wants-to-create-registry-for-journalists/

For political journalists, South Carolina was the center of the universe last week. The state hosted two presidential primary debates and trotted its governor into the national spotlight for a televised response to the president’s State of the Union address.

But a Republican lawmaker there doesn’t think just anyone calling him or herself a journalist ought to be able to work in South Carolina. Only “responsible” journalists — those who pay to be registered and vetted by the state — should be allowed to cover presidential politics or any other kind of news.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reported Tuesday afternoon that state Rep. Mike Pitts (R) had introduced a bill called the “South Carolina Responsible Journalism Registry Law.” Reporter Gavin Jackson posted a summary of the bill — which includes “fines and criminal penalties for violation of the chapter”

The Post and Courier reported that “the bill would create requirements for people wanting to work as a journalist for a media outlet and also before that outlet could hire anyone for a reporting position.” It was not immediately clear what kinds of restrictions might apply to journalists based in other states who might be assigned to cover isolated news events in South Carolina, such as debates and campaign rallies. After Iowa and New Hampshire, South Carolina is next on the Republican primary calendar (the Democratic vote is a week later), making it an important, early-voting state for the presidential candidates and the reporters who cover them.

Oh, and we should note here that this particular lawmaker was one of relatively few to stand in defense of keeping the Confederate flag on statehouse grounds after even many of the state's Republicans voted to remove it. His campaign finances have also, more recently, been probed as part of a Post and Courier examination.

Actually it's about ethics in 2nd amendment journalism....

Pitts told The Post and Courier his bill is not a reaction to any news story featuring him and that he is “not a press hater.” Rather, it’s to stimulate discussion over how he sees Second Amendment rights being treated by the printed press and television news. He added that the bill is modeled directly after the “concealed weapons permitting law.”

“It strikes me as ironic that the first question is constitutionality from a press that has no problem demonizing firearms,” Pitts said. “With this statement I’m talking primarily about printed press and TV. The TV stations, the six o’clock news and the printed press has no qualms demonizing gun owners and gun ownership.”

Under the bill, the Secretary of State’s Office would be tasked with keeping a “responsible journalism registry” and creating the criteria with the help of a panel on what qualifies a person as a journalist — similar to doctors and lawyers, Pitts said.

Pitts said the criminal penalties mentioned in his bill for violations would be “minor fines” similar to those concealed weapons permit holders face.

A journalist—defined as a person who in his professional capacity collects, writes, or distributes news or other current information for a media outlet, including an employee or an independent contractor—that is not registered would be fined $25 to $500, would be cited with a misdemeanor and could be imprisoned up to 30 days, based on the level of offense.

The lawmaker questioned whether working journalists actually follow the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics, which outlines principles for professional journalists to follow to ensure fair and accurate reporting.

“Do journalists, by definition, really adhere to a code of ethics?” Pitts said. “The problem that I have with the printed press is, like I said, it appears especially in the last decade to me each story has become more editorial than reporting. It might just be my perception.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...uld-face-a-registry-to-work-in-south-carolina

danm999

Well if you're going to argue for gun control, I don't see why there shouldn't be press control too! After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Checkmate liberals.

Seriously though, article raises a really good point that it's incredibly difficult to even define a journalist these days, so even if you got around the ideological problems its a bad Bill.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well if you're going to argue for gun control, I don't see why there shouldn't be press control too! After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Checkmate liberals.

Seriously though, article raises a really good point that it's incredibly difficult to even define a journalist these days, so even if you got around the ideological problems its a bad Bill.

It is the rare double First Amendment violation.

cameron

Pitts told The Post and Courier his bill is not a reaction to any news story featuring him and that he is “not a press hater.” Rather, it’s to stimulate discussion over how he sees Second Amendment rights being treated by the printed press and television news. He added that the bill is modeled directly after the “concealed weapons permitting law.”
Checkmate liberals.
That's what it reads like. Dude thinks he's being clever, but fails hard at drawing a cogent parallel to the gun debate. He excels at wasting everyone's time, though.

...I know he's trying to make an example, but I'm reading that he wants gun owners carefully monitored so they can have their guns (forcibly) removed if they misbehave.

You know? I think I might actually support the idea that information is the new 'bearing arms'. Would certainly make the 2nd amendment relevant again.

Flo_Evans

Is this dude insane? How can you claim to be conservative but be the exact opposite of the supposed ideals the country was founded on?

4bc7618a64f19.jpg

Oh, wrong registry...

OctoMan

Banned
I think people miss the point where it's meant as satire/political point. Ridiculous still but for different reasons.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, this is gonna back fire.

Edit: And trying to invoke Poe's law? If there are any humans that have a fine understanding of satire, it's southern white republicans.

Savitar

For being ones that always talk about the constitution and the rights it gives Republicans always seem to want to curtail the ones they don't like that works against them.

Funny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom