• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Season 15 Thread Of Celebrity Meltdowns And Topical Comedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory.

Banned
Lazslo said:
You think any of those Broadway Big Shots actually gave Matt and Trey shit for The Book of Mormon for reals?
Extremely unlikely, they earned a lot of musical credit with the South Park movie.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Sounds the same to me, but they have evolved voices over time.

This was made in the last 7 days right? Could have been horse. Lot of singing?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DeathNote said:

This was made in the last 7 days right? Could have been horse.

I have a feeling them doing a show about Broadway had at least been somewhat planned for a bit.

DeathNote said:

This was made in the last 7 days right? Could have been horse. Lot of singing?

7 days? I doubt it, unless they added new elements in the past two days. The whole Tebow and Dolphins scene happened this past Sunday.

I thought it was an awful episode.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
7 days? I doubt it, unless they added new elements in the past two days. The whole Tebow and Dolphins scene happened this past Sunday.

I thought it was an awful episode.
Sunday was within the past week. They say they work on episodes up to the hours before they air and start the next one Thursdays. Tomorrow.

Lazslo

DeathNote said:
Yeah, well, planning something doesn't stop you from producing it at a later date.
I think they prefer to do a 7 day production cycle, it's just their style of doing things I believe. I also think they have some back-up episodes they keep in case something happens. That episode just seemed like it was a '7 day' episode because of the Tebow references- but that doesn't mean they could have made it awhile ago and added those in, who knows.

Ridley327

DeathNote said:
Yeah, well, planning something doesn't stop you from producing it at a later date.
I'm sure there were elements that happened recently enough, but they've been hyping up this episode with Robert Lopez since they announced the start date of the rest of the season.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Really? Damn.

I wish they would take more time when creating episodes because this season has become a disaster.

This semi-season has been pretty good. The last one (spring 2011) was a bit rough because of the 7 day work schedule and because they were already burnt out on their book of mormon.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think this has been one of the best seasons in a long time.

Royal Pudding
T.M.I.
Crack Baby Athletic Association
You're Getting Old/Ass Burgers
Bass To Mouth
Broadway Bro Down

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pre-airing interview with Robert Lopez

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/robert-lopez-south-park-book-of-mormon.html

Composer and lyricist Robert Lopez's first collaboration with Matt Stone and Trey Parker resulted in The Book of Mormon, which earned them all Tonys and turned them into the toast of the town. Their follow-up is tonight's South Park, "Broadway Bro-Down," in which Randy Marsh discovers his love for Broadway musicals and ends up writing one of his own. Vulture chatted with the Avenue Q creator about tonight's South Park, his upcoming projects, and the mystical nature of Jameson.

South Park works on a famously tight schedule. Was it hard to adjust to that pace?

Actually, it was remarkable how much the day-to-day working process was just like working on Book of Mormon. It felt a lot like that — except the whole thing was just compressed. What was different was all the design aspects and watching decisions get made about animation and charter design, that was really cool. That was something I'd never [been involved with] before. ... I also got to do a couple of voices. I'm the voice of a little kid that wears a life preserver, and I'm this guy at a bar who explains to Randy what musicals are.

Both Book of Mormon and Avenue Q are about people finding their purpose or their missions. Is Broadway now Randy's purpose? Or is this like his obsession with the Food Network?

Well, it's sort of a topsy-turvy take, where Randy gets obsessed, but they discover that something seemingly innocent is actually a big conspiracy. I wouldn't call this a musical episode, though. It's got songs in it, but it's more like, what if Broadway was really designed to do this nefarious thing?

So you went out to work on the show, but it's not even a musical episode?

Well, we started with no idea at all. Just sitting around on Thursday, trying to bang ideas out of our heads for five hours.

You started from scratch?

Every episode starts from scratch!

I know, but I figured, like, if there was a special episode in place or something, there'd already be some idea ...

Nope, it wasn't even a given that there would be songs in it. I was going out to guest write for a week, to celebrate and enjoy our success together [laughs]. ... I had this idea in my back pocket, that it'd be funny if we did a musical about a kid who craps his pants. But then they did it last week! ["Bass to Mouth" has a story line about a kid who soils himself.]

Does that happen a lot, where you discover you, Matt, and Trey are all secretly thinking the same thing?

Actually, it was bizarre. At the beginning of the season, there was the episode where Stan was becoming an alcoholic, and the secret society of cynics was about to make him drink Jameson — and I was watching it, and at that very moment, I was pouring a Jameson.

Did it make you less cynical?

I'm not that cynical, really! Trey can get cynical, but I'm not really a cynic.

Are there more South Parks in your future?

Not this season, but maybe in future seasons. They seem to have a good time with me, and I have a great time with them.

So what is in your future?

I'm working on a couple of movies, a live-action musical for Disney, possibly another animated Disney movie, and a Broadway show [called Up There] that's like Annie Hall meets Cirque du Soleil. It's a romantic comedy with a huge theatrical twist. I'm working on that with my wife, Kristen. It's about a guy's brain, his mind, his inner consciousness — the whole chorus is his brain, so it's kind of like Cats, but with a story. He has these crazy inner thoughts, but the guy doesn't express himself, so the girl has no idea what he's thinking. Which is how things are in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom